Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Vegas is rarely wrong- With the leaks, why no Leach talk?

Started by mj4president, November 17, 2017, 02:40:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jvanhorn

Quote from: Soooie21 on November 17, 2017, 04:03:03 pm
It's Gus's job if he wants it....

I can live with Norvell or Leach.  All you get with Gus is a fractured fan base.  I can live with that.  I am liking what Lincoln Riley is doing with OU, but I will be back for basketball and baseball.

buffaload

Quote from: HenduHog on November 17, 2017, 02:59:12 pm
You know, if all we had to do is play offense like they do in the Big 12 Leach would be a viable option. However he has never shown he can have a good D, and in the SEC you better have a defense.

He has a good defense this year, a lot better than the Hogs, a lot better than most SEC teams.  People in this part of the country love to dis the PAC 12 as being a soft league.  We in Arkansas, just as an example, should know better.  Pay attention man.

Hogwild

Quote from: pigz on November 17, 2017, 04:17:32 pm
So is this a good or bad sign for Campbell

Can we afford him?  Seriously, Long's $4 MM buyout, CBB's buyout $5.9-$12m MM buyouts, asst. coaches' buyouts, and then another $9.4 million for Campbell's buyout. That's between $20-$25 million in buyouts. Then after the buyouts,  you still have to pay their replacements salaries.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Hogwild on November 17, 2017, 06:49:00 pm
Can we afford him?  Seriously, Long's $4 MM buyout, CBB's buyout $5.9-$12m MM buyouts, asst. coaches' buyouts, and then another $9.4 million for Campbell's buyout. That's between $20-$25 million in buyouts. Then after the buyouts,  you still have to pay their replacements salaries.

Maybe we should go ahead and adjust some of the NEZ design plans to hedge against buyout inflation. Hard wood floors can flipped to a nice berber carpet or maybe a cheaper laminate. Forget the brushed nickel fixtures too. We can save $10-$12 mil with the right adjustments.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Hogwild on November 17, 2017, 06:49:00 pm
Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on November 17, 2017, 07:22:40 pm
Maybe we should go ahead and adjust some of the NEZ design plans to hedge against buyout inflation. Hard wood floors can flipped to a nice berber carpet or maybe a cheaper laminate. Forget the brushed nickel fixtures too. We can save $10-$12 mil with the right adjustments.
I think what people don't know is that the BOT planned for this.  why do you think the bond jumped from 120 million to 160 million?  they knew they were going to need an extra 40 mil to pull off the new coach / AD hires.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

hoglady

You know, if all we had to do is play offense like they do in the Big 12 Leach would be a viable option. However he has never shown he can have a good D, and in the SEC you better have a defense.

His defense at Washington St is actually pretty good.
Ranked 37th in scoring defense.
We are ranked 112.'
(His defense has had 1 absolutely horrible game - but been pretty solid most of the year.)
Since taking the job at Washington St his defense has improved almost every year.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Rzbakfromwaybak

Well.....we don't have either.  I would take improvement on one side of the ball for starters....
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 17, 2017, 04:15:20 pm
Someone in Vegas has been reading Hogville!

...but I don't see Houston Nutt, Butch Davis, Jimmy Johnson or the ghost of Hugo Bezdek.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

SouthernBoy69

I understand Gus being the favorite and I understand why fans would want him.  What I don't understand is what makes him the best option? If he wasn't from Arkansas, would anyone be throwing out his name? Sure, it's a huge aspect to why we would hire him, but did anyone care at all ab the coach being from Arkansas when you were playing in the Sugar Bowl? The worrisome part is that Gus hasn't had to rebuild a program in a power five conference.  Mike Leach has now made two stops, both at places that are less than desirable and he's won at both.  What is it, 8 or 9 straight bowl games at Tech? He's got WSU, a place that holds less than 40k fans in the stadium as a top 15 team.  That school has less business experiencing success than Vanderbilt does.  I'm not saying Gus is a bad hire, it's not, but coaches know his M.O.  Arkansas desperately needs a coach who is going to make teams stay up at night, prepare differently, and generally make them uncomfortable.  Leach is that guy.  If you want your 8-9 win seasons...he's gonna get you that.

hoglady

Quote from: SouthernBoy69 on November 18, 2017, 12:50:54 am
I understand Gus being the favorite and I understand why fans would want him.  What I don't understand is what makes him the best option? If he wasn't from Arkansas, would anyone be throwing out his name? Sure, it's a huge aspect to why we would hire him, but did anyone care at all ab the coach being from Arkansas when you were playing in the Sugar Bowl? The worrisome part is that Gus hasn't had to rebuild a program in a power five conference.  Mike Leach has now made two stops, both at places that are less than desirable and he's won at both.  What is it, 8 or 9 straight bowl games at Tech? He's got WSU, a place that holds less than 40k fans in the stadium as a top 15 team.  That school has less business experiencing success than Vanderbilt does.  I'm not saying Gus is a bad hire, it's not, but coaches know his M.O.  Arkansas desperately needs a coach who is going to make teams stay up at night, prepare differently, and generally make them uncomfortable.  Leach is that guy.  If you want your 8-9 win seasons...he's gonna get you that.

I would love to have Leach.
Just so much drama with Malzahn.
Plus still not crazy about that offense Gus runs.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

JaketheSnake

Jerry Jones has enough money he could put 10 million on himself and get a 1 year contract.  Then use the winnings to get us any coach we want AND tell Goodell to GTFO.

hog911

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on November 17, 2017, 04:05:53 pm
I'd be okay with anyone on the list except Miles, and I'm not worried about it being Miles.
No way I would want Charlie Strong, if you can't win at Texas you will not win here!

PORKULATOR

Quote from: NuttinItUp on November 17, 2017, 04:14:14 pm

people always talk about how freakish it is that Vegas is always so close or are always so right but here they are making changes to their previous betting line so maybe that's why they're right,  because they make changes up to the last minute. Careful who you put your faith in fellas.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hoglady on November 18, 2017, 06:38:02 am
I would love to have Leach.
Just so much drama with Malzahn.
Plus still not crazy about that offense Gus runs.

We give a HC grief for wearing flip flops, what's going to happen with a Coach who has the more odd personality of Leach?
Go Hogs Go!

hoglady

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 18, 2017, 07:40:51 am
We give a HC grief for wearing flip flops, what's going to happen with a Coach who has the more odd personality of Leach?

Because I think the fans would love his offense and I think he would win here.
If a coach puts up wins - fans will put up with just about anything.
Leach is an odd bird - but still an interesting character and super intelligent.

lumphog

Quote from: SouthernBoy69 on November 18, 2017, 12:50:54 am
GREAT POST.....& the TROOOF

lumphog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 18, 2017, 07:40:51 am
NOTHING......"IF" he WINS . and he will

BigBrandonAllenFan

The LONDON book makers still had Hillary a 1/2 favorite over Trump the day before the election.  Right after the primaries she was a 1/4 favorite over Trump.