Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If BB gets the axe

Started by welchog, November 10, 2017, 04:53:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hog Pharm

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 10, 2017, 09:35:16 pm
Why would you want Gus?  He can't win the west with the recruiting classes he gets at Auburn.  He'll do worse at Arkansas than he does at Auburn. He's winning 7-8 games a year with top 10 talent, I just can't see how any one could think he'd do better here playing in the exact same division. At least when we first Hired Bielema you could pretend what he was doing would work here and he could compete in the SEC west. You already know exactly how Gus can do.

Umm he won the west and made the NC game. Sitting at 7-2 now. Thats pretty darn good.

kodiakisland

Quote from: Sundog on November 10, 2017, 06:49:22 pm
I'd take Gus in a heartbeat.  Should have been the hire instead of Bert anyway.

Great! More mediocrity.  He can't win enough at Auburn, so what do you think he will do with less talent and a slightly harder schedule?  Great.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

RexMentor

I don't think Gus will be offered the Arkansas job. Too toxic and he'd come in with 50 percent of the fan base against him. I think it's more likely he will be offered the A&M job, at least from SEC schools. As for the $2.5 million he'd owe if he leaves, he won't pay that because the school that hires him will pay that. If Gus goes, he'll go where he can be worshipped the most. Yes, his ego is that big. That's not Arkansas.

Pork Twain

Quote from: welchog on November 10, 2017, 04:53:30 pm
What will the impact be on recruiting?

Are the small number of commits hard to the UofA or BB or their position coach?

Would an early BB exit help considering we get a good/great hire?

I'll hang up and listen.
As is the case with every single hire, it all depends on who the new hire is.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

parallaxpig

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 10, 2017, 05:48:55 pm
Don't be so sure about Gus. He has more support than you apparently realize. And yes, I know a lot of the $$$$.

Yes let's hire Gus and divide the fan base on day one. Excellent plan.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

grayhawg

Quote from: moses_007 on November 10, 2017, 10:49:00 pm
I am afraid Les Miles has already been offered and accepted.  He wants to coach again, particularly in the SEC.
I think Miles is a last resort mainly because of his age

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: Hog Pharm on November 11, 2017, 01:34:08 am
Umm he won the west and made the NC game. Sitting at 7-2 now. Thats pretty darn good.

That was in 2013, and since he's won 8, 7, and 8, games and this year he's won 7 and likely going to lose 2 of his next 3 and have another 8 win season.  Now I may be wrong, but I can't see how he is going to even be able to do that good at Arkansas given that his last 4 recruiting classes have been ranked 10th, 6th, 9th, and 6th, and ours were 22,23,29,23 nationally. He would be playing the exact same teams but with less talent. Hiring him makes no sense whatsoever. With a lot of candidates you can look at their body of work and try to guess how they may do here against the type of competition we face weekly. With Gus you already know exactly how he'll do, not very good.

grayhawg

Quote from: RexMentor on November 11, 2017, 06:05:52 am
I don't think Gus will be offered the Arkansas job. Too toxic and he'd come in with 50 percent of the fan base against him. I think it's more likely he will be offered the A&M job, at least from SEC schools. As for the $2.5 million he'd owe if he leaves, he won't pay that because the school that hires him will pay that. If Gus goes, he'll go where he can be worshipped the most. Yes, his ego is that big. That's not Arkansas.
I thought the same thing a week ago but things have changed.

irahogfan

No to Gus

Hopefully he has a no compete clause for SEC schools!!!
We don't rent pigs!!

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: grayhawg on November 10, 2017, 10:06:22 pm
Hopefully it's Norvell or Frost.

I like Frost too, but his ties to Nebraska go way back.  If those folks up there should fire their coach Scott Frost would seem a natural for them.  Even if our opening came up first and we got him here I'd always wonder if he was looking to bolt to 'Big Red' at the first opportunity. 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

RexMentor

Quote from: grayhawg on November 11, 2017, 07:00:21 am
I thought the same thing a week ago but things have changed.

Of course those that want him see this present situation as their best chance in five years to get him and they are going after it for all they are worth. I don't think they will succeed. The GOBN is far strong than the Springdale chapter of same club. And that's assuming the GOBN can get anything done anymore.

NuttinItUp

Did you purchase any banner-flying time?

DoubleReedHawgCaller

You forgot fire the carpetbagger too...
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

ricepig

Quote from: Sundog on November 10, 2017, 09:48:13 pm
I never pretended Bert would do squat at Arkansas.  He was a bad hire and like many others then, I knew it.  Sounds like you didn't.
Gus... he would have been the best hire for us at the time.  We would NOT be in the position we are now, had Gus been hired instead of Bert.
The issue isn't if Gus would be an upgrade over Bert today; he would be.  The question should be is who would be an upgrade over Gus that we could realistically hire?  It really doesn't matter anyway as Gus would never take the Arkansas job.  Sadly, Auburn is a much better job than Arkansas is today; thanks to Long and Bert.

So, you knew this back in 2012, I'm guessing since you were posting back then that you were still in school at Shiloh?

The NewEra

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 10, 2017, 05:48:55 pm
Don't be so sure about Gus. He has more support than you apparently realize. And yes, I know a lot of the $$$$.

I really don't want Gus coaching Arkansas.  That being said, I'll fully support the next coach for at least the first three years.  After that they will have to earn my support.

This fan base has been fractured for far too long.  It's time everyone get behind the new coach, whoever that may be.

Sundog

Quote from: ricepig on November 11, 2017, 08:14:34 am
So, you knew this back in 2012, I'm guessing since you were posting back then that you were still in school at Shiloh?

You're darned right I knew back in 2012 that Bert WAS NOT a good hire for Arkansas. Lots of informed people did as well.  Bert was NEVER going to be successful bringing big 10 football to Arkansas.  That plus his hubris was his undoing. 
Posts on hogville...LOL.  My goodness, what a baseline for relevance. 

ricepig

Quote from: Sundog on November 11, 2017, 08:23:37 am
You're darned right I knew back in 2012 that Bert WAS NOT a good hire for Arkansas. Lots of informed people did as well.  Bert was NEVER going to be successful bringing big 10 football to Arkansas.  That plus his hubris was his undoing. 
Posts on hogville...LOL.  My goodness, what a baseline for relevance. 

So, you posted this anywhere? I mean, you took the time and trouble to sign up on here a month ago to tell us all of your wisdom, I figure you were shouting it from the mountain tops in 2012.

89ALUM

I'm hoping its Greg Schiano.  Fits the profile of getting another northerner, so Long is happy.  He's a solid recruiter, pulled in some good classes at Rutgers, which can't be easy to recruit to.

Plus he has the benefit of being a hell of a defensive coach.  Pair him with an OC who can work with that side of the ball, and I think he could turn us around next year.

Although he failed in the NFL, there's plenty of other guys who failed there and came back to college to succeed. 

If we can't land him, I'd settle for Gundy.  My dream candidate would be Leach, but I don't see any way he comes here.
I'm in shape.  Round is a shape.

"That's what." - she

ricepig

Quote from: 89ALUM on November 11, 2017, 08:28:43 am
I'm hoping its Greg Schiano.  Fits the profile of getting another northerner, so Long is happy.  He's a solid recruiter, pulled in some good classes at Rutgers, which can't be easy to recruit to.

Plus he has the benefit of being a hell of a defensive coach.  Pair him with an OC who can work with that side of the ball, and I think he could turn us around next year.

Although he failed in the NFL, there's plenty of other guys who failed there and came back to college to succeed. 

If we can't land him, I'd settle for Gundy.  My dream candidate would be Leach, but I don't see any way he comes here.

The plane was in Columbus last month.................or if could have been Steinmetz sold his house there. 

East Clintwood

Quote from: Al Boarland on November 10, 2017, 06:55:58 pm
It would buy him at least 4-6 more years making $4m+. His wife would be closer to family. No one would be trying to run him off for losing to Bama and UGA.

But you would have a rather large contingent that would immediately start trying to run him off just because he's Gus.  It would  be just as bad as if we tried to bring back BP or Hootie.

I just don't think we should be trying to hire a coach that has such a large group of people already lined up against him.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

TDHawgs

I used to hate Gus as much as anyone, but guys.. he's a million times better than what we have right now.. if you can't see that, then I don't know what to say. This is the worst Razorback team I've ever witnessed. #AnyoneButBielema

duckman

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on November 11, 2017, 08:06:22 am
Just wanted to be the first one to say it today. Preemptive strike.

Yep...

ChicoHog

Quote from: Al Boarland on November 10, 2017, 06:07:38 pm
It may take a dip this cycle, but every coach has recruited about the same.
That's why we need a dynamic recruiter.  We need to be close to the level of A&M, Tenn, SCarolina and beat the Mississippi schools in order to move up in the SEC on the field.  Hire Brent Venables!

Maybe Norvell can recruit, I don't know.  But we won't be able to compete consistently unless we recruit better than we currently are. 

grayhawg

This speculation we have in coach searches is a barrel of fun, and 99.99% is pure speculation it's usually someone we didn't even think of. We learn who knows something and who is blowing smoke by the time we have our new coach. So let's keep it up. ;D

GuvHog

Quote from: East Clintwood on November 11, 2017, 08:32:53 am

But you would have a rather large contingent that would immediately start trying to run him off just because he's Gus.  It would  be just as bad as if we tried to bring back BP or Hootie.

I just don't think we should be trying to hire a coach that has such a large group of people already lined up against him.

Agreed. Gus would last maybe 3 years. There is too much animosity over what happened in 2006.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

snoblind

Quote from: ricepig on November 11, 2017, 08:26:48 am
So, you posted this anywhere? I mean, you took the time and trouble to sign up on here a month ago to tell us all of your wisdom, I figure you were shouting it from the mountain tops in 2012.

He completely missed your point.  Not surprising.

Sundog

Quote from: ricepig on November 11, 2017, 08:26:48 am

What part of: "my world doesn't revolve around hogville posts" don't you understand?  Hint:Mr. 42,000 posts....people have dialogue and opinions that don't include Hogville.  Why don't you try it!

ricepig

Quote from: Sundog on November 11, 2017, 10:19:50 am
What part of: "my world doesn't revolve around hogville posts" don't you understand?  Hint:Mr. 42,000 posts....people have dialogue and opinions that don't include Hogville.  Why don't you try it!

Did I say HV? You're the one who keeps mentioning HV, not me. So, the reason to come on here and tell us now, 5 years after the fact is? I mean, your world doesn't revolve around HV?

Seebs

My sprint guides just informed me that Norvelle is the next coach and two of the present coaches will be retained. We will get the DL coach from ASU and the offensive line coach from Iowa State.

Wait .. waht's that? .. .yes .. three of teh staff will be from texas .. . yes .. yessssss .. .now lottery numbers ... 13, no 15 .. wait no .. . .. dammit
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Ozarkhog05

Quote from: Silver Hog on November 10, 2017, 07:20:25 pm
Be kind of hard for Gus to beat Auburn.
[/quote
Well Bret does a pretty good job of beating Arkansas and makes it look easy. ]

grayhawg

Quote from: Seebs on November 11, 2017, 10:26:56 am
My sprint guides just informed me that Norvelle is the next coach and two of the present coaches will be retained. We will get the DL coach from ASU and the offensive line coach from Iowa State.

Wait .. waht's that? .. .yes .. three of teh staff will be from texas .. . yes .. yessssss .. .now lottery numbers ... 13, no 15 .. wait no .. . .. dammit
That pretty good stuff your smoking?

DoubleReedHawgCaller

Quote from: Seebs on November 11, 2017, 10:26:56 am

puff puff pass....
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

Seebs

I am high on life fellas. Pity those that are not.

My spirit guide just informed me that Coach O just gave a rallying call to his team in a strange unknown language. They are cheering and frothing from the mouth.

My guide just slipped into the Razorback locker room and the coaches are eating blueberry pie with their hands.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Sundog

Quote from: ricepig on November 11, 2017, 10:23:39 am
Did I say HV? You're the one who keeps mentioning HV, not me. So, the reason to come on here and tell us now, 5 years after the fact is? I mean, your world doesn't revolve around HV?

I've tried to make this as simple for you to understand as I can; I'm sorry you can't seem to get it.  Let me try it one more time as remedially as I can.  I (as did many other insightful people) knew, when hired, that Bert-ball would fail.  I'm sorry if you can't grasp that.  Posting or not posting has no bearing on that; irrespective of YOUR worldview, Mr. 42,000 posts, that posting matters.  It doesn't. Get it?

The Hawg Marshal

May be time to change the thread title. Take off the "If" and replace it with "When".

SooieGeneris

Quote from: Silver Hog on November 10, 2017, 07:20:25 pm
Be kind of hard for Gus to beat Auburn.

He did it in the NC game vs Florida State and a few other times...
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

Piggfoot

Quote from: GuvHog on November 11, 2017, 09:53:08 am
Agreed. Gus would last maybe 3 years. There is too much animosity over what happened in 2006.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: welchog on November 10, 2017, 04:53:30 pm
What will the impact be on recruiting?

Are the small number of commits hard to the UofA or BB or their position coach?

Would an early BB exit help considering we get a good/great hire?

I'll hang up and listen.
If? It's already a done deal, friendo. As for ramifications of change in coaches, we will go from a bad head coach (his team has won 11 SEC games in 4 5/8's seasons, to a new head coach with energy, new potential and hope in the fanbase. Hope is gone now. No brainer to get someone else in there.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

ricepig

Quote from: Sundog on November 11, 2017, 10:42:56 am
I've tried to make this as simple for you to understand as I can; I'm sorry you can't seem to get it.  Let me try it one more time as remedially as I can.  I (as did many other insightful people) knew, when hired, that Bert-ball would fail.  I'm sorry if you can't grasp that.  Posting or not posting has no bearing on that; irrespective of YOUR worldview, Mr. 42,000 posts, that posting matters.  It doesn't. Get it?

Cool, so you signed up to tell us what you thought 5 years ago......

Sundog

Quote from: ricepig on November 11, 2017, 10:56:43 am
Cool, so you signed up to tell us what you thought 5 years ago......

No, apparently just you.

grayhawg

Quote from: Sundog on November 11, 2017, 11:04:06 am
No, apparently just you.
I'll give you this, good or bad you've been on HV one month and 4 days and pick a fight with one of the most reliable posters we have.

Sundog

Quote from: grayhawg on November 11, 2017, 11:09:39 am
I'll give you this, good or bad you've been on HV one month and 4 days and pick a fight with one of the most reliable posters we have.

I'm only responding to his confusion. Not picking any fights with you or your reliable buddies.

Athog

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 10, 2017, 05:43:40 pm
The $$$$ doesn't want Gus, so no Gus. We won't be looking backwards. Gus has 0.0%. His name may be floated, but if they beat Georgia, it won't even be floated. Unless, something drastic changes it'll most likely be Norvell or Neal Brown.

What is your source? Just a guess?

havok

People on Radio/TV have said firing the coach now (Before season end) will do no good.

I say people are not going to show up for the remaining home games, because they don't want to take the chance that their attendance, is in any measure, is perceived as support for BB to be retained.  If they let him go now..the commitment to change would have fans more likely to attend, just to show the players their support and will be there for them next season with who ever is hired to coach them.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: havok on November 11, 2017, 01:51:01 pm
People on Radio/TV have said firing the coach now (Before season end) will do no good.

I say people are not going to show up for the remaining home games, because they don't want to take the chance that their attendance, is in any measure, is perceived as support for BB to be retained.  If they let him go now..the commitment to change would have fans more likely to attend, just to show the players their support and will be there for them next season with who ever is hired to coach them.
Next 2 games will be full due to the freak show that U of A football has become. Everyone enjoys a circus and a car wreck. Get to see this entire staff coach their last two games at Arkansas.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: Athog on November 11, 2017, 01:45:54 pm
What is your source? Just a guess?

He has zero sources, and as much as it pains me, Gus has a lot of support to be on the Hill. I hope their new AD loves Gus and keeps him down on the Plains.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

Quickdraw

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 11, 2017, 06:56:11 am
That was in 2013, and since he's won 8, 7, and 8, games and this year he's won 7 and likely going to lose 2 of his next 3 and have another 8 win season.  Now I may be wrong, but I can't see how he is going to even be able to do that good at Arkansas given that his last 4 recruiting classes have been ranked 10th, 6th, 9th, and 6th, and ours were 22,23,29,23 nationally. He would be playing the exact same teams but with less talent. Hiring him makes no sense whatsoever. With a lot of candidates you can look at their body of work and try to guess how they may do here against the type of competition we face weekly. With Gus you already know exactly how he'll do, not very good.

I have read on this message board for quite sometime how this coach won't work and the other one would not be a good hire. And another one would split the fan base. So, I have three questions.

1. Is Arkansas a 1st tier or 2nd tier school?
2. How many games does a coach have to win on average for the fans to be happy enough to keep?
3. And Which coach would Arkansas have to hire for this to become a reality?

Hawg Life

Quote from: Darren DeLoach (semohawg) on November 11, 2017, 02:13:23 pm
He has zero sources, and as much as it pains me, Gus has a lot of support to be on the Hill. I hope their new AD loves Gus and keeps him down on the Plains.

Who supports Gus? You heard Paul Finebaum mention that it would be interesting, and you took that as the gospel. I don't know who they'll hire, but it won't be Gus.