Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Duke CFO Survey - 3rd Qrtr

Started by john c, September 09, 2014, 09:51:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

john c

Link is to the Duke CFO survey.  Since Minimum Wage issues are hot the embedded link to the article "Minimum Wage hikes ..." is interesting.  A question I haven't seen any reports/surveys on is the viewpoint of current non-minimum wage earners who would see a disproportionate wage parity change in their work environment, assuming that companies would not raise all employees the same either percentage or incremental increase as the minimum wage earners.  A guy making $14 would be glad to go to $15 but what if other guys he works with go from $10 to $15?  Reminds me of the parable in the Bible about the workers in the field.

http://www.cfosurvey.org/

HawgWild

Robert Reich makes the exact opposite conclusion about the impact on raising the minimum wage in his documentary Inequality for All. His argument is that if workers are paid more, they'll spend more thus stimulating the economy. Workers at this salary level don't sit on their cash. They need it to buy everyday items. Say employers do lay off workers in favor of robots. What does that do to the economy? Robots don't buy cars, gas, homes, food, go to movies, etc. Wouldn't this have the potential to shrink the economy?

john c

Reich's action is with his mouth, business managers will take action by implementing decisions on the plant floors.

HawgWild

john c

We've had the Reich conversation before and it is of no matter in this thread.  The point of portions of the survey is to indicate/portray the probable actions of business management given certain government actions, including minimum wage increases.   

HawgWild

OK. So, if the discussion point in your post is what will the guy that gets a raise from $14 to $15 think when a fellow worker gets one from $10 to $15? I think they'd think WTH!?

john c

john c

Saw this article today.  Interesting in two aspects:  Increasing number of production robots and companies employing claim that as an advantage in getting contracts.

http://chiefexecutive.net/30-robots-factories-today-thank-six-months-ago

Dumb ole famrboy

The employee that was making more gets POed and quits. They were making higher wages for a reason senority, more productive, greater responsibility and etc. They fell they can earn minimum wage anywhere.

pheine78

Think how this applies to immigration.  I'm in favor.....ask me how.
Nolan for defensive coordinator!