Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

So, who actually makes the call on the AD?

Started by Rustyhog, November 09, 2017, 12:36:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rustyhog

From what I understand about protocol, the BOT doesn't make decisions about the AD. That is the Chancellor's call. So the fact that the BOT came out of executive session with the comment, "no action was taken" isn't saying anything about the AD.

It is my understanding that Steinmetz makes the call on the AD. The BOT CAN make a decision on Steinmetz. But only if there is something that could harm the University SYSTEM, like a scandal or something illegal has been done, THEN the BOT could act.

So, I don't think Long is out of danger just yet. I think it's Steinmetz' call at this point.

IMO.

Kevin

the key question what if anything was said to dr. steinmetz in the meeting once long left the room.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hawganatic

Has anybody taken the time to look at Jeff Long's contract?  To break the contract, I'm assuming he would have to be fired with cause.  I really doubt a bad football season is written into an AD's contract as cause.

Absent of any major scandal that we don't know about yet, I'm pretty sure there are going to be a lot of disappointed Hogville posters today.

EastexHawg

Quote from: hawganatic on November 09, 2017, 12:50:19 pm
Has anybody taken the time to look at Jeff Long's contract?  To break the contract, I'm assuming he would have to be fired with cause.  I really doubt a bad football season is written into an AD's contract as cause.

Absent of any major scandal that we don't know about yet, I'm pretty sure there are going to be a lot of disappointed Hogville posters today.

Are you saying you believe Long can't be fired?  Of course he can.  His contract can be bought out and he can be fired at any time. 

BigK_HogHeaven

Quote from: EastexHawg on November 09, 2017, 12:54:21 pm
Are you saying you believe Long can't be fired?  Of course he can.  His contract can be bought out and he can be fired at any time.

Think he was saying that he can't be fired for cause because of a bad season. A firing would breach his contract and we'd have to buy him out

hawganatic

Quote from: EastexHawg on November 09, 2017, 12:54:21 pm

Didn't say he can't be fired.  But they aren't going to do it without cause.  Do you think a losing football season is cause to fire the AD?

ipigsooie

Quote from: hawganatic on November 09, 2017, 12:59:29 pm
Didn't say he can't be fired.  But they aren't going to do it without cause.  Do you think a losing football season is cause to fire the AD?

Not sure if the reports are true or not but if he really did cost the university 1 million dollars over the insurance, that would seem like "just cause."

Ex-Trumpet

Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

younghog

Quote from: Rustyhog on November 09, 2017, 12:36:11 pm
From what I understand about protocol, the BOT doesn't make decisions about the AD. That is the Chancellor's call. So the fact that the BOT came out of executive session with the comment, "no action was taken" isn't saying anything about the AD.

It is my understanding that Steinmetz makes the call on the AD. The BOT CAN make a decision on Steinmetz. But only if there is something that could harm the University SYSTEM, like a scandal or something illegal has been done, THEN the BOT could act.

So, I don't think Long is out of danger just yet. I think it's Steinmetz' call at this point.

IMO.

and Yet

--
For the first hour-and-a-half, Long and UA-Fayetteville Chancellor Joseph Steinmetz sat in a nearby auditorium. Around 10:20 a.m., the two left and walked toward the room where the trustees were meeting.
--

per ARDEMGAZ

Again Long is not Leaving.. 

GO HOGS
GO HOGS

The Hawg Marshal

ricepig

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 09, 2017, 01:01:16 pm
Not sure if the reports are true or not but if he really did cost the university 1 million dollars over the insurance, that would seem like "just cause."

Reports don't mention the university, if they are to be believed.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on November 09, 2017, 01:12:46 pm
A foundation member might be able to answer this.

According to a mod here on Hogville it has been all over the board for quite some time.  I can't find it and the search isn't working for me.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

hogsanity

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 09, 2017, 01:14:36 pm
According to a mod here on Hogville it has been all over the board for quite some time.  I can't find it and the search isn't working for me.

I ma here Alot ( way too much ) and I have never seen anything about it at all.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

SooieGeneris

First of all: I don't have a source other than what I read online.

However, footballscoop.com and tigerdroppings.com have separate speculation that Long is on the way out, for what it's worth...

There is a thread on footballscoop labeled "for entertainment purposes only" that speculates about AD/HC changes upcoming.

I am not sure how much of it is "tongue-in-cheek", but there is included in the piece something about the Baylor AD, Mack Rhoades, replacing Long and hiring Mike Norvell as the new HC.

Again, it is pure speculation as far as I can tell and it presumes that we lose all 3 remaining games, so that might be a caveat.

However, it can't be taken as a positive for Long or BB that no action was taken on Long today.

With a little over 7 months remaining on Long's current contract, if he was safe, one would think the BOT would announce an extension or say SOMETHING.

JMO, but it seems like the BOT is telling JL to find another job so they don't have to fire him..

Then BB reads the writing on the wall and resigns after the Mizzou game with most or all of his buyout included as a parting gift.

Just my opinion based on everything I have read and heard. At the top[ of the header on footballscoop is a report on Long's status.

Wee Wally and the Arkansas sports media have never in my long memory turned on a Razorback coach who was not on the way out for fear of having their ticket pulled by UA..

Anyone heard any speculation about Mack Rhoades of Baylor as AD?
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

hogsanity

Quote from: SooieGeneris on November 09, 2017, 01:30:51 pm
First of all: I don't have a source other than what I read online.

However, footballscoop.com and tigerdroppings.com have separate speculation that Long is on the way out, for what it's worth...

There is a thread on footballscoop labeled "for entertainment purposes only" that speculates about AD/HC changes upcoming.

I am not sure how much of it is "tongue-in-cheek", but there is included in the piece something about the Baylor AD, Mack Rhoades, replacing Long and hiring Mike Norvell as the new HC.

Again, it is pure speculation as far as I can tell and it presumes that we lose all 3 remaining games, so that might be a caveat.

However, it can't be taken as a positive for Long or BB that no action was taken on Long today.

With a little over 7 months remaining on Long's current contract, if he was safe, one would think the BOT would announce an extension or say SOMETHING.

JMO, but it seems like the BOT is telling JL to find another job so they don't have to fire him..

Then BB reads the writing on the wall and resigns after the Mizzou game with most or all of his buyout included as a parting gift.

Just my opinion based on everything I have read and heard. At the top[ of the header on footballscoop is a report on Long's status.

Wee Wally and the Arkansas sports media have never in my long memory turned on a Razorback coach who was not on the way out for fear of having their ticket pulled by UA..

Anyone heard any speculation about Mack Rhoades of Baylor as AD?

I thought BB's fate was sealed in Columbia, SC. That game pretty much meant no bowl, which meant adios.

Rhoades has only been at Baylor a little over a year, if he bails that fats, you can bet it is because the situation there is much worse than what he was told. Matter of fact, if he dd leave for another job, it would be his 3rd in less than 3 years. He was the Ad at Mizzu from March 2015 until Aug 2016.

Hog fans would not like him. He was born in AZ and went to college at AZ and Indiana.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE