Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Defense or lack thereof

Started by Danny J, November 22, 2016, 09:10:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny J

Why are we playing so tight 30 feet from the basket in half court sets when the opposing team is so easily able to beat us off the dribble? Where is the rotation? Pick and roll defense is horrible and we compound it by switching. When we do double a pick the big helping on the double turns his back when rotating back. Then we are scrambling on missed shots and leads to us not blocking out. Then to compound that our entire D rotates to the paint leaving shooters wide open.

Same stuff we have been doing since year one. This is not a talent problem. Its a lack of coaching during practices...it has to be. Then we refuse to adjust. Slow the game down when the opposing offense is having their way. We didn't go zone until the last possession of the first half.

root_hawg

wow a coaching problem .. surely not

tconey1

I am so tired of our bigs hedging and then not dropping back inside.  It leaves our guards on bigs everytime.  Its the most frustrating thing to watch!  We seem to be the only team that cant defend this basic pick!!!

Danny J

Quote from: tconey1 on November 22, 2016, 09:14:44 pm
I am so tired of our bigs hedging and then not dropping back inside.  It leaves our guards on bigs everytime.  Its the most frustrating thing to watch!  We seem to be the only team that cant defend this basic pick!!!
Yep...its frustrating how easy even a mediocre team can force our defense to be spread out all over the court. Playing too tight too far from the hoop is our biggest problem. That leads to ball handlers beating us off the dribble which leads to poor initial and secondary rotation. I can't believe CMA can't see it.

tconey1

Quote from: Danny J on November 22, 2016, 09:17:01 pm
Yep...its frustrating how easy even a mediocre team can force our defense to be spread out all over the court. Playing too tight too far from the hoop is our biggest problem. That leads to ball handlers beating us off the dribble which leads to poor initial and secondary rotation. I can't believe CMA can't see it.

Oh he sees it.  My half blind 94 yr old grandfather could see it.  He is trying to coach from the 90s and not adjusting to todays game. Way too many fouls.  College basketbal is getting harder to watch but when you foul as much as the hogs, it makes it unbearable!

rude1

Quote from: Danny J on November 22, 2016, 09:17:01 pm
I feel your pain, have scratched my head many a time about this strategy or lack thereof. We go out and tag guys 30' from the basket whether they are a shooter or not, all it does is create wide driving lanes to the basket, either getting to the basket for an easy layup or cause a defense that is spread to scramble trying to catch up with the rotations, which it does not, leading to a wide open 3 when the ball is swung.

Cure

It can't be that hard to ice the pick and roll or at least show. They're blitzing and giving up middle or a weakside 3 every possession.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

tconey1

Quote from: Cure on November 22, 2016, 09:23:08 pm
It can't be that hard to ice the pick and roll or at least show.

Exactly!  Show and get back to your man. Most are taught this from junior high on!

Danny J

Quote from: rude1 on November 22, 2016, 09:21:55 pm
I feel your pain, have scratched my head many a time about this strategy or lack thereof. We go out and tag guys 30' from the basket whether they are a shooter or not, all it does is create wide driving lanes to the basket, either getting to the basket for an easy layup or cause a defense that is spread to scramble trying to catch up with the rotations, which it does not, leading to a wide open 3 when the ball is swung.
And its so obvious that he has to see it. I don't know what he is thinking. I wish I had media credentials because I have been wanting to ask him now for 6 years. I mean my God man...why guard a man so tight if we can't rotate? We have shown no sign of the ability to rotate. Even the damn announcers are critiquing our lack of rotation. I understand wanting to speed the ball handler up and force him to initiate the offense sooner but if the person guarding the ball handler can't keep him in front or direct him to another defender AND then there is no rotation? SMDH

Biggus Piggus

This team would be fine if it played shot-denial man, or matchup zone, with more emphasis on rebounding.
[CENSORED]!

RealHog

I don't know if CMA understand PnR defense because this teams has no idea how to do it. I don't think Mike is that solid of a coach Between that and the motion offense, we are just a very sloppy Bball team. I like the guy, but getting blown out by a mediocre at best Gopher is unacceptable is YEAR 6. Wish we could have landed Underwood.

Danny J

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 22, 2016, 09:25:57 pm
This team would be fine if it played shot-denial man, or matchup zone, with more emphasis on rebounding.
I agree and its our scrambling from poor rotation and poor footwork that lead to us not being able to find a man to block out. Half the time we are just standing there watching or jumping/reaching for the ball instead of finding a man to get a body on.

rzrbackramsfan

26.2Hog

hogman99

Maybe the staff should watch this they may learn something.

https://youtu.be/wu2f8xO4USU

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Danny J on November 22, 2016, 09:10:59 pm
Why are we playing so tight 30 feet from the basket in half court sets when the opposing team is so easily able to beat us off the dribble? Where is the rotation? Pick and roll defense is horrible and we compound it by switching. When we do double a pick the big helping on the double turns his back when rotating back. Then we are scrambling on missed shots and leads to us not blocking out. Then to compound that our entire D rotates to the paint leaving shooters wide open.

Same stuff we have been doing since year one. This is not a talent problem. Its a lack of coaching during practices...it has to be. Then we refuse to adjust. Slow the game down when the opposing offense is having their way. We didn't go zone until the last possession of the first half.

The funny thing is Mikes believes he teaches good sound defense but in actually he teaches aggressive gambling and grabbing defense which allows  penetration and easy opportunities by the better opponents.  His switching out front ends will usually end up with some big mismatches and easy attempts and put backs if we do not create a TO.

But if Mike can get more defensive minded long athletes it does not look quite so bad because they will get more deflections and TOs.  We just have to hope this team will get better until we get the full compliment of Special athletes.

Danny J

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on November 22, 2016, 10:05:40 pm
The funny thing is Mikes believes he teaches good sound defense but in actually he teaches aggressive gambling and grabbing defense which allows  penetration and easy opportunities by the better opponents.  His switching out front ends will usually end up with some big mismatches and easy attempts and put backs if we do not create a TO.

But if Mike can get more defensive minded long athletes it does not look quite so bad because they will get more deflections and TOs.  We just have to hope this team will get better until we get the full compliment of Special athletes.
Right now he just does it the easy/lazy way...switching all picks. Its much easier to do that when you have quick long armed and tall guards and guys that will dog you on defense like Mayberry or Beck. We don't have one lock down defender at any spot. Barford has the ability. Hard to switch with small guards like Beard and Hannahs.

poloprince

A small leak eventually turns to a big hole. I expect starting lineup adjustments.
$PoLoPrInCe$

rude1

^^^Exactly that. Ironically enough, the staple defenses of our last two successful coaches in Eddie and Nolan. Imagine that, they would know a thing or two about how the game should be played. Sometimes I think CMA tries too hard not to emulate the things Nolan did with his teams.

ArkansasI

Then why don't we?

I thought things might turn around this year. Hopefully they will...  But I have a feeling my holidays will improve with less investment in basketball.

By the way, that SIU coach and all the national haters should stick to something they know.  Arkansas does not have a fan problem - at least not a basketball fans problem.  There is not a school or team in the country that has endured miserable basketball as long and represented better.

Still hopin'. No longer carin'.

WBOBO

I'm afraid we are in for a 16-16 season again.  This may be his worse team
yet.   Hate it for him, but it is what it is.  He's going to have fight a lot of
bears as he so called them.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.