Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Beard

Started by labb, November 15, 2016, 06:27:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

labb

If Barford doesn't pick up his game Beard will be starting in his place.....Three more games and we shall see.

Danny J

Beard looks stronger, more focused, in control and appears to have been working hard on his shot. I will say though having eexperience in him and Manny and trey coming off the bench to go with another guy in cook is something we haven't had in a while. I love this roster.

Hawg Red

Quote from: labb on November 15, 2016, 06:27:36 pm
If Barford doesn't pick up his game Beard will be starting in his place.....Three more games and we shall see.

Three more games and we shall see?

Says who? Mike Anderson say this?

Barford is not playing bad and the second unit needs a guy like Beard.

sickboy

Lol. Thanks, coach.

k.c.hawg

Beard could come off the bench and have a much bigger impact than if he started. Hannahs and Kingsley are going to occupy a lot of the looks, if Macon continues to bomb add him into a large volume.  There are 16-20 minutes per position that are going to be 2nd unit, if a guy is scoring and making plays on the 2nd unit at a high rate that is going to be much more valuable than being the 4th option on the 1st unit. Hopefully the coaches have a much better idea of the necessary balance between the two units than the fans do.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

k.c.hawg

Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

swineology

Why don't we have a Power Forward

SEC play will kill us with those 6'7 and 6'8 guys on the boards, not that Mike gives a frick about rebounding

k.c.hawg

Quote from: swineology on November 15, 2016, 07:46:47 pm

SEC play will kill us with those 6'7 and 6'8 guys on the boards, not that Mike gives a frick about rebounding

We've got more of an inside presence than we've had in 10 plus years. I can see you bitchin about the rebounding but we have multiple 6'7", 6'8", 6'9" guys that appear to play as physical as any team we've had in years. WTH?

swineology

Hogs 21 rebounds
SIU 21 rebounds

aTm, Florida, Kentucky, and Auburn just to name a few will have their way with the Hogs this year.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Beard is playing well. But these posters acting like Barford isn't playing well is funny.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: swineology on November 15, 2016, 08:08:13 pm
Hogs 21 rebounds
SIU 21 rebounds

aTm, Florida, Kentucky, and Auburn just to name a few will have their way with the Hogs this year.

Lol

Biggus Piggus

Arkansas took 69% of the available defensive rebounds against SIU, and that's a fine number.

The Hogs grabbed 33% of the available offensive rebounds, and that's OK too.

We do not know where Arkansas will end up in the whole shot contesting-rebounding-pressure continuum. MA continues to experiment with player combinations and defenses.

I do not believe he will push harder to maximize turnover margin, but who knows at this point. Ballhandling is pretty good around the game now, and increasing the pressure comes at such a cost in fouls and free throws. Arkansas's game is changed a lot when a big man gets in foul trouble.

The Hogs have four 6-8 to 6-10 players who are ready to play. Kentucky (not a good rebounding team yet) uses four, Florida five, Texas A&M six.

Best things I see -

Texas A&M does not have a lot going in the backcourt, and their nonleague schedule includes nine games before SEC play begins (Hogs have 12). One of those nine is against Arizona, but the rest are really bad. Plus we don't open SEC season at their place any longer.

Because of renovations on its arena, Florida does not play a game on campus until the Dec. 21 game against UALR. Their games are in Jacksonville, Lakeland, Tampa, Orlando, Tallahassee, Sunrise, all around the state. One game in NYC against Duke. Will that make the Gators better, more road-tested sorta, or will it screw up their shooting confidence?

In its first two games, Florida did not shoot well (and also played poor perimeter defense). The Gators were bigger than Mercer but only shot 39% inside. Defensive rebounding will be important against them.

[CENSORED]!

The_Iceman

Barford: 9.5 pts, 3.5 rebs, 3 asts., .5 stls, 50% shooting, in 24.5 minutes.

Beard: 8.5 pts, 1.0 rebs, 4.5 asts, 1.5 stl, 50% shooting, 16.5 minutes.

I mean, Beard has played a little bit better, but not by that much. Any thought that him playing better has to do with more limited minutes? Sometimes with guys, you can have diminishing returns when you give them more minutes. Barford is a Juco guy, sometimes they can take longer to adjust.

The_Iceman

Quote from: swineology on November 15, 2016, 07:46:47 pm

What are you talking about? Our PFs are very good size for the SEC.

labb

I based my Beard statement on comparing assists, free throw percentage, steals and turnovers in minutes played. Only cat that Barford really leads in is rebounding (which is a biggie)

The_Iceman

Quote from: labb on November 16, 2016, 11:39:25 am
I based my Beard statement on comparing assists, free throw percentage, steals and turnovers in minutes played. Only cat that Barford really leads in is rebounding (which is a biggie)

Barford is playing with Hannahs and Macon. Switch he and Beard and Barford may be a lot more aggressive offensively. Hard to tell since they are in different rolls.

azhog10

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 16, 2016, 11:50:40 am
Barford is playing with Hannahs and Macon. Switch he and Beard and Barford may be a lot more aggressive offensively. Hard to tell since they are in different rolls.
What's also not being considered is the role he can play in 3pt defense. Beard is a good defender, he is shorter and Barford has an ability to affect shots from deep where Beard doesn't quite have the same effect. I guess we should all be happy that both our starting PG and backup PG are handling their roles about as good as you can. Sure we'd like to see more scoring from Barford, but we are putting up over 90 points in the first two games. If Barford is scoring more, someone would be scoring less. I'm just happy we are showing signs of a consistent offense. Now we knuckle down and get the wrinkles ironed out defensively.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: labb on November 16, 2016, 11:39:25 am

You might try watching games. Beard is doing well in his role. Barford is doing well in the starting five. They are needed in those roles.
[CENSORED]!

mhuff

Quote from: Hawg Red on November 15, 2016, 07:18:15 pm
Three more games and we shall see?

Says who? Mike Anderson say this?

Barford is not playing bad and the s
econd unit needs a guy like Beard.

Furthermore, Barford has a better complement of players surrounding him. I think he is playing selflessly within the syst.
When the going gets tough, I expect him to be in the thick of things leading by example.

The_Bionic_Pig

November 16, 2016, 12:19:54 pm #19 Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 12:49:15 pm by The_Bionic_Pig
Barford is still adjusting to D-1 basketball just like Jabril Durham who went from looking like a somewhat bust his Junior year to his Senior year leading the SEC in assist and one of the best in the country.

Cook has shown flashes...and Macon has simply started to pick up where he left off in JUCO
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

niels_boar

Barford and Beard are by faaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrr the best 40-minute option that CMA has had at PG during his tenure here.  Who starts I care not. 

Beard has really upped his game.  He has always been good at valuing the ball.  He has never been TO prone and is at 33 minutes per TO so far this season, which would be preternatural for a PG over an entire season.  What has changed this year is that he has become a high-volume assist PG at 3.7 minutes per assist, also preternatural. 
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

Biggus Piggus

Arkansas players' points scored per possession played:

1.71 C.J. Jones
1.53 Manny Watkins
1.44 Anton Beard
1.36 Dusty Hannahs
1.28 Daryl Macon
1.27 Trey Thompson
1.19 Moses Kingsley
1.06 Dustin Thomas
0.99 Jaylen Barford
0.74 Arlando Cook

Beard's A/TO performance has been excellent. His steals production has been very good. You lose a lot of rebounding with him, so he does not fit in every grouping. Beard also fouls a lot.

Barford has not been highly active on offense, has not been good in A/TO, has not made his free throws. His size and strength are good matchup-wise. It's very early yet.
[CENSORED]!

niels_boar

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 16, 2016, 12:50:46 pm
Arkansas players' points scored per possession played:

1.71 C.J. Jones
1.53 Manny Watkins
1.44 Anton Beard
1.36 Dusty Hannahs
1.28 Daryl Macon
1.27 Trey Thompson
1.19 Moses Kingsley
1.06 Dustin Thomas
0.99 Jaylen Barford
0.74 Arlando Cook

Beard's A/TO performance has been excellent. His steals production has been very good. You lose a lot of rebounding with him, so he does not fit in every grouping. Beard also fouls a lot.

Barford has not been highly active on offense, has not been good in A/TO, has not made his free throws. His size and strength are good matchup-wise. It's very early yet.

I expect Barford to break out with a monster game one of these days.  He's shown flashes.

jjdlc

Barford  19 pts    2-3 3pt    1-4 FT   7 Reb  6 Assist 4 TO   47 mins
Beard    17 pts    3-7 3pt    2-3 FT   2 Reb  9 Assist 1 TO   33 mins

Sorry, but the only place Beard is really outdoing Barford at this point is in assist to turnover ratio.  Like others have pointed out, Beard is needed with the second group more than with the first.

Rawker

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 16, 2016, 10:58:45 am
Arkansas took 69% of the available defensive rebounds against SIU, and that's a fine number.

The Hogs grabbed 33% of the available offensive rebounds, and that's OK too.

We do not know where Arkansas will end up in the whole shot contesting-rebounding-pressure continuum. MA continues to experiment with player combinations and defenses.

I do not believe he will push harder to maximize turnover margin, but who knows at this point. Ballhandling is pretty good around the game now, and increasing the pressure comes at such a cost in fouls and free throws. Arkansas's game is changed a lot when a big man gets in foul trouble.

The Hogs have four 6-8 to 6-10 players who are ready to play. Kentucky (not a good rebounding team yet) uses four, Florida five, Texas A&M six.

Best things I see -

Texas A&M does not have a lot going in the backcourt, and their nonleague schedule includes nine games before SEC play begins (Hogs have 12). One of those nine is against Arizona, but the rest are really bad. Plus we don't open SEC season at their place any longer.

Because of renovations on its arena, Florida does not play a game on campus until the Dec. 21 game against UALR. Their games are in Jacksonville, Lakeland, Tampa, Orlando, Tallahassee, Sunrise, all around the state. One game in NYC against Duke. Will that make the Gators better, more road-tested sorta, or will it screw up their shooting confidence?

In its first two games, Florida did not shoot well (and also played poor perimeter defense). The Gators were bigger than Mercer but only shot 39% inside. Defensive rebounding will be important against them.

Stop trying to abate random and completely unfounded negativity with keen observation and facts.  Not how things work here. 

HawgnCorona

Barford hasnt played bad...He has to adjust to D1. Although Beard is playing well so far.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

PonderinHog

Quote from: Rawker on November 16, 2016, 09:51:27 pm
Stop trying to abate random and completely unfounded negativity with keen observation and facts.  Not how things work here.
They both got some dog in 'em.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: HawgnCorona on November 16, 2016, 11:31:16 pm
Barford hasnt played bad...He has to adjust to D1. Although Beard is playing well so far.

Barford seems so unflappable out there on the floor that he comes across as almost nonchalant. I like Barford's demeanor because it seems like he may not fall apart when adversity hits and this will help the team stay focused when he is on the floor.

Plus his unselfishness, in regards to looking for his own shot, is huge for this team and is what most people look for in a point guard. Not sure why some people seem to take this as a negative.

Another thing I like is that although Barford came in as the number one juco recruit and also the juco leading scorer, he hasn't played like he is trying to prove anything to the fans in terms of offense. It's almost like he knows he can score and will do so when the team needs it from him.

Where he has been aggressive however is defense and rebounding. Another sign of his team first mentality.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: FineAsSwine on November 17, 2016, 07:08:56 am
Barford seems so unflappable out there on the floor that he comes across as almost nonchalant. I like Barford's demeanor because it seems like he may not fall apart when adversity hits and this will help the team stay focused when he is on the floor.

Plus his unselfishness, in regards to looking for his own shot, is huge for this team and is what most people look for in a point guard. Not sure why some people seem to take this as a negative.

Another thing I like is that although Barford came in as the number one juco recruit and also the juco leading scorer, he hasn't played like he is trying to prove anything to the fans in terms of offense. It's almost like he knows he can score and will do so when the team needs it from him.

Where he has been aggressive however is defense and rebounding. Another sign of his team first mentality.

My thoughts, exactly!

He looks to be working on becoming the "Pass first" point guard that CMA wants. That to me shows he's coachable and not a selfish guy trying to get his points. I do look forward to seeing him attack the rim more when we need him to. I think we will really need that, especially on the road when we do not shoot as well from outside.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on November 17, 2016, 07:37:54 am
My thoughts, exactly!

He looks to be working on becoming the "Pass first" point guard that CMA wants. That to me shows he's coachable and not a selfish guy trying to get his points. I do look forward to seeing him attack the rim more when we need him to. I think we will really need that, especially on the road when we do not shoot as well from outside.

Yes, the road is where we will really need him to show up and get to the free throw line at times when the offense stagnates.

Interested to see what happens when we play at Minnesota in terms of whose offense drops off and who steps up when the team needs a bucket.

niels_boar

Quote from: jjdlc on November 16, 2016, 03:44:09 pm
Barford  19 pts    2-3 3pt    1-4 FT   7 Reb  6 Assist 4 TO   47 mins
Beard    17 pts    3-7 3pt    2-3 FT   2 Reb  9 Assist 1 TO   33 mins

Sorry, but the only place Beard is really outdoing Barford at this point is in assist to turnover ratio.  Like others have pointed out, Beard is needed with the second group more than with the first.

In fairness to Beard you might want to look at that last category and normalize for it.  Both are playing well.  Beard will be hardpressed to play a lot better.  He's been terrific. Barford is capable of scoring more than he has.

Biggus Piggus

MA really likes Barford's defensive performance. That will keep him in the starting lineup.
[CENSORED]!

Letsroll1200

Beard is playing his role and Barford isn't playing terrible. They both seem to be playing well from the games I've witnessed. I would like to see Barford be a little more aggressive on offense but he seems to playing within himself.

k.c.hawg

Here's your sign.