Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CJ Jones would start on a number of other SEC Teams

Started by The_Bionic_Pig, November 15, 2016, 07:25:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Bionic_Pig

He looks like instant Offense with a dash of elite athleticism.

Once Hannah's departs after this season I just don't see any of the incoming freshman taking PT from him.

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

The_Iceman

Barford, Macon, and CJ Jones will make a solid starting backcourt next year. With Beard, Garland, and Hall backing them up.

Danny J

The Hogfather

Love it!  I knew it as soon as I saw his video.  The kid was smooth, athletic, tall/long, and had skills.

So excited we got him and it is pretty obvious we are going to use him enough for him to not get upset and transfer.

The_Iceman

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 15, 2016, 09:18:19 am
Love it!  I knew it as soon as I saw his video.  The kid was smooth, athletic, tall/long, and had skills.

So excited we got him and it is pretty obvious we are going to use him enough for him to not get upset and transfer.

That's the truth!

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 15, 2016, 08:32:12 am
Barford, Macon, and CJ Jones will make a solid starting backcourt next year. With Beard, Garland, and Hall backing them up.

Oh lord.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 15, 2016, 09:18:19 am

Haha good for you.  I had no idea how it would translate. 

hogwood

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 15, 2016, 08:32:12 am

That's a stellar backcourt. And the year after (18-19) we could see a SO Garland and JR Jones starting together. Very long, tall, athletic, quick, and effective scoring guards. Could be lethal together.

The Hogfather

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on November 15, 2016, 11:15:08 am

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 15, 2016, 08:24:02 am
He looks like a knockdown 3-point shooter if that's him.  Is that him at 50:25?  If so, his teammates appear to know he's a knockdown 3-point shooter as well.  One of his teammates gets the ball to him for a wide open look and then immediately puts his hand up to signal a 3 and starts jogging the other way like he knows it's going to be good.

At the risk of pissing people off by "talking every kid who signs with Arkansas up", I think we might've landed a steal here.  By all indications, he can score the ball (six 30+ point games), he's a tall guard (at least 6'4"), appears to be able to shoot the 3 (by watching the videos and didn't someone say he had something like 11 3s in a game?), has decent handles (they had him playing PG some), and appears to be able to shoot FTs well (from the video).  He still needs to add muscle/weight to his skinny frame (same as Whitt when we signed him) and appears to need to work more on the defensive end, but we shouldn't need to rely on him much next season, unless he just demands to be on the court with his impressive play. 

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: hogwood on November 15, 2016, 03:15:16 pm
That's a stellar backcourt. And the year after (18-19) we could see a SO Garland and JR Jones starting together. Very long, tall, athletic, quick, and effective scoring guards. Could be lethal together.
Courtney Ramey is my hopeful piece to the 2018 puzzle.  If Weaver play's like his 2014 hype and becomes the final addition then we could be (early 90's good)
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogwood on November 15, 2016, 03:15:16 pm

Garland (6'5"), Jones (6'5"), and Hall (6'6"). The backups that year won't be a strong as they will be next season.

Danny J

Yeah...me neither. I was crucifying him for even offering a scholarship to a guy that nobody else wanted. Everybody except CMA missed on him. He has the eyes of a player who will be clutch for us...no fear.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on November 15, 2016, 04:55:43 pm
Courtney Ramey is my hopeful piece to the 2018 puzzle.  If Weaver play's like his 2014 hype and becomes the final addition then we could be (early 90's good)

I wasn't that big on Ramsey at first but he's a true point guard. I really like his game.

hogwood

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 15, 2016, 05:51:35 pm
Garland (6'5"), Jones (6'5"), and Hall (6'6"). The backups that year won't be a strong as they will be next season.

Depends who they are. They won't be as experienced though, that's for sure.

OutlawHawg

CJ Jones is going to be an absolute star here. Not a lot of 6-5 guards that come in as freshman with the shooting ability and athleticism he has.

If you hadn't followed recruiting at all and just watched the games you'd think he was a high 4* guy coming out of high school.

Pig in the Pokey

His offers were the worst I've seen. Tennessee State, Chattanooga, Murray State, and Arkansas. Man, what a steal he has turned out to be!
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

1hawgballer2

November 16, 2016, 05:50:46 am #16 Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 06:01:53 am by ricolacey

Response- Well you know now this young man reminds me of Todd Day, except the ceiling is higher for him, when the lights comes on he shines the brightest a definite PTP (prime time performer)

FineAsSwine

Quote from: ricolacey on November 16, 2016, 05:50:46 am
Response- Well you know now this young man reminds me of Todd Day, except the ceiling is higher for him, when the lights comes on he shines the brightest a definite PTP (prime time performer)

You forgot Diaper Dandy.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 15, 2016, 11:53:24 pm
His offers were the worst I've seen. Tennessee State, Chattanooga, Murray State, and Arkansas. Man, what a steal he has turned out to be!

Those offers were better than Doobie Jenkins or Dee Wagner's, but there is definitely an APB out for Mike Anderson in Birmingham for grand theft. That kid put up the points he did so easily. Like it was effortless. And he seemed bigger than I expected.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Hawg Red on November 16, 2016, 08:11:43 am
Those offers were better than Doobie Jenkins or Dee Wagner's, but there is definitely an APB out for Mike Anderson in Birmingham for grand theft. That kid put up the points he did so easily. Like it was effortless. And he seemed bigger than I expected.

I selfishly hope we will have him for all four years but this kid could be gone after his junior year.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: FineAsSwine on November 16, 2016, 07:50:32 pm
I selfishly hope we will have him for all four years but this kid could be gone after his junior year.

I'm just hoping we get him back next year. The current trend of out of state freshman guards with potential coming for one year and leaving is alarming. Although I think CMA can really sale CJ on his increased role next year and in the future.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on November 17, 2016, 07:43:53 am
I'm just hoping we get him back next year. The current trend of out of state freshman guards with potential coming for one year and leaving is alarming. Although I think CMA can really sale CJ on his increased role next year and in the future.

CJ is going to be a big part of this team going forward and I think he knows that. So many upperclassmen guards ahead of him but in a year or two, he will be the guy showing the new hotshots the ropes. His time is definitely coming.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: FineAsSwine on November 17, 2016, 08:19:07 am
CJ is going to be a big part of this team going forward and I think he knows that. So many upperclassmen guards ahead of him but in a year or two, he will be the guy showing the new hotshots the ropes. His time is definitely coming.

Same could've been said for Babb and Whitt, though, is the thing. I think he'll stay, but I also thought Whitt and his connection with the Watkins' would have kept him here, too.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on November 17, 2016, 11:09:48 am
Same could've been said for Babb and Whitt, though, is the thing. I think he'll stay, but I also thought Whitt and his connection with the Watkins' would have kept him here, too.

Whitt saw what was coming and hightailed it out of here. Babb wasn't assertive enough offensively in the early stages like 'CJ has been. Babb needed that year off to work on his game to make an impact on offense and so does Whitt, unlike CJ who has come out showing great confidence, ability and readiness to step in and score from day one.

The_Iceman

Quote from: FineAsSwine on November 17, 2016, 11:16:31 am
Whitt saw what was coming and hightailed it out of here. Babb wasn't assertive enough offensively in the early stages like 'CJ has been. Babb needed that year off to work on his game to make an impact on offense and so does Whitt, unlike CJ who has come out showing great confidence, ability and readiness to step in and score from day one.

Very true. Whitt and Babb never seemed confident on the floor. CJ just has something different.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: FineAsSwine on November 17, 2016, 11:16:31 am

But, but, Hogville told me Jimmy Whitt was the best guard on campus before he even played a minute for us! lol

I do like Jones' mentality and athleticism. It will be nice to have a knockdown shooter to go with the length of next years class in the backcourt.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on November 17, 2016, 03:12:24 pm
But, but, Hogville told me Jimmy Whitt was the best guard on campus before he even played a minute for us! lol

I do like Jones' mentality and athleticism. It will be nice to have a knockdown shooter to go with the length of next years class in the backcourt.

Will be great to have Jones to step in when Hannahs leaves, if Jones is ready for that big of a role next year and I see no reason why he couldn't be.

AugustaHog

CJ is going to be our Jamal Crawford this year.  I'm not comparing their games so much as I'm seeing him as an instant infusion of offense off the bench.  Crawford has taken to that kind of role and flourished.  I feel really good that we aren't going to go through the massive droughts offensively that we've seen over the past few years.  When our starters come off the floor, we'll have some guys who can put the ball in the hole and CJ is going to fuel a ton of those runs.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: AugustaHog on November 17, 2016, 03:19:30 pm
CJ is going to be our Jamal Crawford this year.  I'm not comparing their games so much as I'm seeing him as an instant infusion of offense off the bench.  Crawford has taken to that kind of role and flourished.  I feel really good that we aren't going to go through the massive droughts offensively that we've seen over the past few years.  When our starters come off the floor, we'll have some guys who can put the ball in the hole and CJ is going to fuel a ton of those runs.

I want to see him do a mini Scotty Thurman type of freshman year road game. Just to see if his shot travels.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: AugustaHog on November 17, 2016, 03:19:30 pm

I like the comparison.  Crawford is known for his devastating crossover and I think CJ has a really nice cross over as well.  CJ's more efficient and I think better at D at the college level than Crawford is at the pro level though. 

Deep Shoat

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on November 17, 2016, 04:24:00 pm
I like the comparison.  Crawford is known for his devastating crossover and I think CJ has a really nice cross over as well.  CJ's more efficient and I think better at D at the college level than Crawford is at the pro level though.
I really like what the kid did a couple of nights back.  Great first collegiate game.

I think some folks need to pump the breaks, though.  Because it was his first collegiate game and we were playing a mediocre SIU team.  I mean, how could you possibly make the statement that CJ is better at D at the college level than Crawford is at the pro level after ONE game?
All Gas, No Brakes!