Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I miss Barnhill

Started by Mr. Porkleone, November 14, 2016, 09:56:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Porkleone

Probably get grilled, but I miss the days of Barnhill. I've always been a bigger not always better, look at Duke, they have stay with Cameron and it's a def been a plus. I think with exception of 1994-96 was the only time it's been always full. Over the years, I've sit in BWA and been disappointed with attendance. I love going to games, but our crowds are not stellar, I know hawgnall been down, but there was always excitement in Barnhill.

Tonight's game was a crowd embarrassment, and there will be tons of the usual excuses, Im just missing Barnhill.

ShadowHawg

I miss the days of the full Bud. Blew Barnhill away and that's saying a lot.

Been going to games since the 70s, so I know first hand.

Win at a high level and the Bud will return to its full glory.

Bud was full all the time until Heath.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on November 14, 2016, 09:56:56 pm
Probably get grilled, but I miss the days of Barnhill. I've always been a bigger not always better, look at Duke, they have stay with Cameron and it's a def been a plus. I think with exception of 1994-96 was the only time it's been always full. Over the years, I've sit in BWA and been disappointed with attendance. I love going to games, but our crowds are not stellar, I know hawgnall been down, but there was always excitement in Barnhill.

Tonight's game was a crowd embarrassment, and there will be tons of the usual excuses, Im just missing Barnhill.

We all do. You miss the atmosphere. That is gone from most of college bask. Not just an Ark thing.

We discussed this months ago when the non conf sched started coming out. It is extremely unappealing to all but the most diehard of fans and attendance wasn't going to be good. Not a reflection of team in any way of course. Sounds like they deserve more. Can't blame fans though especially on a Nov weeknight.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 14, 2016, 10:41:44 pm
We all do. You miss the atmosphere. That is gone from most of college bask. Not just an Ark thing.

No, we all don't. I watched LSU with Shaq, the first 4 Kentucky visits and many more.

Fill the Bud back up.

I mean if you are going to play if's, why not go for the loudest and craziest. Like I said, been in both at their best, Bud is where it's at hands down.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ShadowHawg on November 14, 2016, 10:44:28 pm
No, we all don't. I watched LSU with Shaq, the first 4 Kentucky visits and many more.

Fill the Bud back up.

I mean if you are going to play if's, why not go for the loudest and craziest. Like I said, been in both at their best, Bud is where it's at hands down.
[/quote

I was there too biggest Nolan fan ever jamie.

Calm.  Not downplaying Bud. You get weird about some of this darn.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 14, 2016, 10:46:05 pm
Quote from: ShadowHawg on November 14, 2016, 10:44:28 pm

Fill the Bud back up.

[/quote

I was there too biggest Nolan fan ever jamie.

Obviously not.

ShadowHawg

With the growth of NWA, there are plenty of folks to fill up the Bud at all times.

Just win baby and it will be back.

It's been 20 years since we were a perennial nationally prominent team. Win and it won't take long to bring the fans back.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ShadowHawg on November 14, 2016, 10:47:26 pm
Obviously not.

Obviously yes. Are you oddly protective of bwa because you identify it with Nolan?  You are getting worse. I feel a little bad for you.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 14, 2016, 10:49:55 pm
Obviously yes. Are you oddly protective of bwa because you identify it with Nolan?  You are getting worse. I feel a little bad for you.

No, I identify it with the program going from being very good to being a national powerhouse. Barnhill was a blast, the Bud was insane. Me my Dad and Uncle used to dream of the day when the program could build a huge facility like so many other programs at the top of the Collegiate basketball world had. It was a dream come true for us.

When it fills back up, it will mean that the program is hitting on all cylinders again.

I have been a basketball first fan for nearly 40 years. I am ready to reclaim a spot at the top of the basketball world. With all the in state talent, it's actually probable with the right coach.

Danny J

If we get back to national prominence then the bud will be rockin. This year's team is exciting to watch. A lot of speed, long arms and guys that can score.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ShadowHawg on November 14, 2016, 10:53:53 pm
No, I identify it with the program going from being very good to being a national powerhouse. Barnhill was a blast, the Bud was insane.

When it fills back up, it will mean that the program is hitting on all cylinders again.

I have been a basketball first fan for nearly 40 years. I am ready to reclaim a spot at the top of the basketball world. With all the in state talent, it's actually probable with the right coach.

Well in this sense I am happy for you Jamie because I think it is about to return to relevancy too.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 14, 2016, 10:57:42 pm
Well in this sense I am happy for you Jamie because I think it is about to return to relevancy too.

I know it's corny, but Razorback basketball was a family experience for me. Had a lot of fun around the team.

When we won the championship, our entire family gathered at my aunt's house to watch. Some of us had to drive over an hour just be there together.

Some of those family members have since passed away. I would love to be able to share that with my kids and grandkids too.

The Razorbacks, football and basketball, are a family thing for a lot of people but there hasn't been a whole lot of success to share in the last couple of decades.

The_Iceman

Yeah, if you could build or remodel BWA, you'd probably prefer it to be around 10-12,000 not 19,000.

Biggus Piggus

I miss Barnhill too. Bud Walton Arena is too big. It was built that large to accommodate Wal-Mart annual meetings more than anything. Did anyone believe the Hogs were going to fill up 19,000 seats forever?

They are selling quite a few season tickets compared with most programs, but the arena's way too big. It won't ever look right even with 15,000 in there.
[CENSORED]!

MountieDawg

Quote from: ShadowHawg on November 14, 2016, 10:49:34 pm
With the growth of NWA, there are plenty of folks to fill up the Bud at all times.

Just win baby and it will be back.

It's been 20 years since we were a perennial nationally prominent team. Win and it won't take long to bring the fans back.

NWA has grown a lot!   But most of the growth is not from people from Arkansas.  You can drive through a neighborhood during football season and see 20 different college flags flying outside peoples houses.  To get those fans to show you have to have a really really good product.
SEC!

The_Iceman

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 15, 2016, 09:58:55 am
I miss Barnhill too. Bud Walton Arena is too big. It was built that large to accommodate Wal-Mart annual meetings more than anything. Did anyone believe the Hogs were going to fill up 19,000 seats forever?

They are selling quite a few season tickets compared with most programs, but the arena's way too big. It won't ever look right even with 15,000 in there.

I wish we could just close off the upper deck except for the games when demand calls to open it. When you look at most stadiums being built now, they are smaller and more compact...but also really nice and clean.

With all games being on tv, I don't think BWA would consistently fill up even if Arkansas was a top 25 team.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 15, 2016, 09:58:55 am

That is what we have to keep in mind.

If it already isn't being done, Rogers/Bentonville need an arena for concerts and events and which could be used for shareholders.  Given the stage location, it could be designed for 12-14K and work.  WM may would need to cut down on its invitees. 

BWA capacity will be reduced. 

k.c.hawg

I think the Tusk Mobil Pass, 18 games for $159 is a super deal. I wish I lived in the area, I'd be there for every game. $9 tickets to see your team while it is on the rise is as good of a bargain as I've seen in many, many years. I hope the locals will give this team a chance. I feel bad seeing them out there on a Monday night with a few thousand in the stands. Hopefully they will get to feed off of a rocking Bud Walton before too long.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

Inhogswetrust

Look at Duke you say? Well what about Kentucky, North Carolina, Kansas, Indiana, Michigan State, etc. ALL of them are considered top programs yet play in large arenas.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

razorhead94

Cameron Indoor is the way it is because they highlight their student section by placing them front and center.  Major major difference.  They can easily fill up most of that arena just by students.

As others have said just keep winning.  There are still over 14,000 tickets sold for the season so that's all that really matters.  If anything it's a knock on most NWA arkansas fans who are not attending games.  I don't believe consolidating to 10-12K is the answer either.  You'd be throwing away money by doing that.  I do think long term they have plans to add more suite areas in the upper deck but the capacity should never be below 16,000.  Arkansas have proven in its history when the hogs are winning the fans will show up.
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: razorhead94 on November 15, 2016, 11:48:03 am
Cameron Indoor is the way it is because they highlight their student section by placing them front and center.  Major major difference.  They can easily fill up most of that arena just by students.

As others have said just keep winning.  There are still over 14,000 tickets sold for the season so that's all that really matters.  I don't believe consolidating to 10-12K is the answer either.  You'd be throwing away money by doing that.  I do think long term they have plans to add more suite areas in the upper deck but the capacity should never be below 16,000.

Couldn't go to 10-12K.  The bottom level seats around 15K.  I'm guessing 16-17 is where it will go with some of the upper level area going to premium/club area type seating. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 15, 2016, 11:41:53 am
Look at Duke you say? Well what about Kentucky, North Carolina, Kansas, Indiana, Michigan State, etc. ALL of them are considered top programs yet play in large arenas.

Only Rupp and Dean Dome have a larger capacity than BWA in your list. 

Kevin

just look at the old films. bwa has never matched barnhill
would have loved to see a replica of barnhill seating 12,000
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Biggus Piggus

From last season, average paid "attendance" for the top schools:

[CENSORED]!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 15, 2016, 11:53:23 am
Only Rupp and Dean Dome have a larger capacity than BWA in your list. 

That wasn't what my post was about. It was about sizes of areas. Although those I listed are not as big as BWA they ARE fairly large with about +16,000 or so each. That is quite a bit larger compared to Cameron. Besides that, even those places including Cameron are not full every game either.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: razorhead94 on November 15, 2016, 11:48:03 am

As others have said just keep winning.  There are still over 14,000 tickets sold for the season so that's all that really matters.  If anything it's a knock on most NWA arkansas fans who are not attending games.  I don't believe consolidating to 10-12K is the answer either.  You'd be throwing away money by doing that.  I do think long term they have plans to add more suite areas in the upper deck but the capacity should never be below 16,000.  Arkansas have proven in its history when the hogs are winning the fans will show up.

I've often said we should try to do what Tennessee did with Thompson/Boling arena. Add loge and club areas. That would reduce capacity a little but not take away from ticket revenue since they could be higher priced but not as much as suites.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Kevin on November 15, 2016, 12:23:11 pm
just look at the old films. bwa has never matched barnhill
would have loved to see a replica of barnhill seating 12,000

This is just my personal experience (not making an argument Jamie), my ears rang for an extended time after getting home after games in Barnhill.  I think I remember once it happening after a BWA game.  Acoustics, placement of students just not the same.  But we had to move, BWA was a great arena when built and is still holding up. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 15, 2016, 12:51:14 pm
That wasn't what my post was about. It was about sizes of areas. Although those I listed are not as big as BWA they ARE fairly large with about +16,000 or so each. That is quite a bit larger compared to Cameron. Besides that, even those places including Cameron are not full every game either.

Duke is very unique.

I do think what Mich St did by putting the students around the court like Duke was a great move unlike what we did in BWA. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 15, 2016, 12:55:01 pm
This is just my personal experience (not making an argument Jamie), my ears rang for an extended time after getting home after games in Barnhill.  I think I remember once it happening after a BWA game.  Acoustics, placement of students just not the same.  But we had to move, BWA was a great arena when built and is still holding up. 

The first few years BWA was rocking big time. Of course we had a big time team then also.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 15, 2016, 12:56:30 pm
The first few years BWA was rocking big time. Of course we had a big time team then also.

It was.  Even through the late 90s.  The AU - Chris Porter game. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 15, 2016, 12:56:26 pm
Duke is very unique.

I do think what Mich St did by putting the students around the court like Duke was a great move unlike what we did in BWA. 

I agree. Students should have more seats closer. I remember when I was a student and sat WAY up in the rafters of Barnhill yet it was still loud due to the size and having good teams. IIRC one of the companies involved with designing/building BWA also did the ones at Michigan State and South Carolina.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 15, 2016, 01:00:41 pm
I agree. Students should have more seats closer. I remember when I was a student and sat WAY up in the rafters of Barnhill yet it was still loud due to the size and having good teams. IIRC one of the companies involved with designing/building BWA also did the ones at Michigan State and South Carolina.

South Carolina's is an updated copy of BWA.  They toured our facilities several years ago and have tried to use us as a model. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 15, 2016, 01:06:11 pm
South Carolina's is an updated copy of BWA.  They toured our facilities several years ago and have tried to use us as a model. 

I remember hearing that. I also vaguely remember MSU copying BWA to some degree as well.

The_Iceman

I think if they really want to improve BWA, they are going to have to make some tough choices that will cause some season ticket holders to have to move their seats.

Kevin

I do wish they would pick one complete side to put the students down low. like Michigan state does
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 15, 2016, 10:25:35 am
I wish we could just close off the upper deck except for the games when demand calls to open it. When you look at most stadiums being built now, they are smaller and more compact...but also really nice and clean.

With all games being on tv, I don't think BWA would consistently fill up even if Arkansas was a top 25 team.

This is true. Every single game is on tv now. Ppl just don't value the experience enough to spend the money to go. We would have to reach the heights of the 90s in order to consistently draw big crowds against mid majors during the week.

Still boggles my mind that it's been 20 years since we made the 2nd weekend of the tournament. This program isn't Duke but it's better than what we have observed in the last two decades.

Biggus Piggus

Whatever the excuses are, Arkansas basketball is drawing less than it did in Eddie Sutton's first season, before the Razorbacks had done anything. Fan support was a major part of what turned Arkansas into a basketball power in the first place. People didn't wait till the team was great.
[CENSORED]!

jesterzzn

I have not gone back to look, but I am curious what people posting with nostalgia about Barnhill have posted in the past about WMS.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: jesterzzn on November 15, 2016, 03:51:32 pm
I have not gone back to look, but I am curious what people posting with nostalgia about Barnhill have posted in the past about WMS.

Why?  Not comparable.  At least IMO except both were outdated and needed replacing or extreme renovations to keep viable. 

Kevin

Quote from: jesterzzn on November 15, 2016, 03:51:32 pm

one is on campus, the other is not. so it does not matter

The_Iceman

How many schools draw more than 70,000 for football games and also over 12,000 for basketball games? I just think times have changed when it comes to basketball. The excuses are not excuses....they are reasons.

razorhead94

November 15, 2016, 04:52:42 pm #42 Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 05:17:33 pm by razorhead94
Quote from: The_Iceman on November 15, 2016, 04:39:02 pm
How many schools draw more than 70,000 for football games and also over 12,000 for basketball games? I just think times have changed when it comes to basketball. The excuses are not excuses....they are reasons.

There are not many schools that have 70,000 seat football stadiums to begin with but to answer your question on the ones that do and if we are talking about during the peak of the season in each sport:

Michigan
Michigan St.
Florida
Texas
Texas A&M
UCLA
Arizona
Wisconsin
Tennessee
Ohio State

Notice all of these schools are big proponents in athletics and I consider Arkansas one of those (i.e: football, basketball, baseball)
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

Hog Milanese

Now that Bielema has shown himself to be Nutt 2.0, football will fade a bit and basketball can regain some love.

Mr. Porkleone

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 15, 2016, 11:41:53 am

My point Cameron indoor. Just FYI it only seats 9314

k.c.hawg

Quote from: razorhead94 on November 15, 2016, 04:52:42 pm
There are not many schools that have 70,000 seat football stadiums to begin with but to answer your question on the ones that do and if we are talking about during the peak of the season in each sport:

Michigan
Michigan St.
Florida
Texas
Texas A&M
UCLA
Arizona
Wisconsin
Tennessee
Ohio State

Notice all of these schools are big proponents in athletics and I consider Arkansas one of those (i.e: football, basketball, baseball)

Most of these schools normally have enrollment of 50,000 plus. There alumni base is huge compared to Arkansas.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

WBOBO

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 15, 2016, 01:23:22 pm
I think if they really want to improve BWA, they are going to have to make some tough choices that will cause some season ticket holders to have to move their seats.
This
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

jesterzzn

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

jesterzzn