Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Attendance for tonight's game (SIU)

Started by Derjen, November 14, 2016, 08:40:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawg Red

Quote from: hogsanity on November 15, 2016, 11:31:23 am
The football team has not won big is different than they have not won. Plus, you can not take out the weekend variable or the fact they only play 12 games total when talking about WHY football is so popular. It is so popular because it is played on Saturdays. It is so popular because of the limited supply. It is so popular because of the party atmosphere.

Really, people (overall) like the sport more than they do basketball. Always have. I don't. I'm a basketball guy, but people like football more than basketball. Some of some of the reasons you mentioned, but a lot of people really do just like it more.

There is more traffic on this board for offseason football talk than I bet there is basketball talk when basketball is in the prime of its season.

hawginbigd1

Its football season still, I didn't even know there was a game last night until about 6.

MountieDawg

Quote from: Hawg Red on November 15, 2016, 11:09:28 am
Sure, all of those things are true (to some degree). But there is no truer fact than football being more popular in the state of Arkansas. Period. Would football attendance be down if games were during the week? Sure. Would it be down 75%? Not a chance. But it doesn't matter because football is on Saturday and the team plays once a week. My response was to question of has the football team won anything, not all these weeknight/weekend variables. Quite obviously, to my point, it does not matter that the football team hasn't won big because football is king. Now more so than ever before. A lot of Hog fans will come around to basketball only when football is done (thus it is secondary). There is not equal interest in the men's basketball team and the football team.

My fault I meant to say it would have about a 75% full stadium...  The fact is when MA was hired I think more people showed up for his hiring than last nights game... They said 4500 but I had a friend that posted a pic with 10 minutes to go in the first half and there wasn't 100 people in any of the lower sections and the top looked like a Clinton Rally.
SEC!

hobhog

Quote from: MountieDawg on November 15, 2016, 10:03:44 am
To be honest, football is on Saturdays and 50% are go more for the tailgating and social aspect than going crazy for football.  Basketball doesn't have tailgating and you have many weeknight games.   If half the football games were during the week attendance would be cut by 75%.

Friday nights first game of year with 60,000 people driving in and still nobody went. No one cares anymore. Frustrating.

hogsanity

Quote from: Hawg Red on November 15, 2016, 12:04:40 pm
Really, people (overall) like the sport more than they do basketball. Always have. I don't. I'm a basketball guy, but people like football more than basketball. Some of some of the reasons you mentioned, but a lot of people really do just like it more.

There is more traffic on this board for offseason football talk than I bet there is basketball talk when basketball is in the prime of its season.

I agree, but I think they like it more because of those things. Plus I think men like it more because many many more play it in jrhs and hs than play bball. I mean a hs football team might have 50-100 kids on it. Basketball has 15 tops.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: k.c.hawg on November 15, 2016, 11:25:27 am
WTH am I missing??? They have been advertising an electronic ticket to all 18 games for $159 for 2 weeks now. Sure they text you your ticket and you move game to game but less than $9 a ticket!!  And they say they will accommodate up to 6 tickets together. More than that might be seated separately.

I don't think you missed anything.  I think you kind of made a point - you were the only one of us who even cared enough to know the ticket prices. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hobhog

There is no doubt that there is dying interest in Hog basketball and has been for 15 years. Only winning will help, has nothing to do with money.

NWA fans are limited and since its in corner of state too difficult for rest of state to attend mid week games. No idea why a student wouldn't walk down for a couple of hours and watch.

MA needs a big season, period.

311Hog

Yeah the lack of student support is where my curiosity resides.  I mean sure we haven't really won much in the last decade, but we have always been good at home so the likely hood of winning the home game you attend is very high.   The students make the atmosphere IMHO.  When i was a student i remember they had the bball tickets seperate from football and football was just a dollar per game.  I didn't always buy bball tickets because they were more expensive.  Now i believe they are all bundled into one so there are alot of students with bball tickets that just don't go.

yraciv

Quote from: hobhog on November 15, 2016, 12:36:03 pm
Friday nights first game of year with 60,000 people driving in and still nobody went. No one cares anymore. Frustrating.

Maybe some of those 60,000 get there by 5 friday, so they can check in to hotel and get out to the basketball game. I'm sure the vast majority have jobs that require them to work most of the day and then head up.  For the out of town folk, that is often dropping money on hotels, restaurants, tickets, concessions, gas, etc.  I could see why you wouldn't drop the extra cash to watch us beat IUPFW or I could see why someone would choose the cheaper alternative of a meaningful women's soccer game. Or why local fans would go watch high school football instead.  Razorback basketball has always been sports priority one for me, but lets just say I get it and there are plenty of good reasons to choose other events at this time.

azhog10

I think it's a lot of what's been mentioned. I think the UofA has to do a better job marketing. I also think the program has to try and bring better games to BWA. Most of our better non-conf games are at neutral sites or on the road. I don't think there's anything wrong with the mid majors we are playing. As a coach with a new group you can't go out and schedule a bunch of games you don't know you can win. Schedule the best teams you know you can beat and have a few toss ups in there as well. Fans should understand that, and those that can, go and support them.

OutlawHawg

The fan base wants to be excited but it's a two-way street. The 2014 season generated a lot of interest and attendance was getting better but then we promptly went into rebuild mode and lost all momentum. I think we are poised for a good two run stretch right now and longer if the recruits coming in are as good as advertised.

If we are making the NCAA tourney every year and competing at the top of the SEC the attendance will be there.

TNhawgfan

The only news i ever hear about our basketball program here where i live is about the ladies protesting the anthem and no one showing up for the men. Rather embarrassing
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

k.c.hawg

Quote from: TNhawgfan on November 15, 2016, 07:44:04 pm
The only news i ever hear about our basketball program here where i live is about the ladies protesting the anthem and no one showing up for the men. Rather embarrassing

Well we will probably be heads and shoulders better than Tennessee so get ready to talk smack.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

TNhawgfan

Quote from: k.c.hawg on November 15, 2016, 07:47:56 pm
Well we will probably be heads and shoulders better than Tennessee so get ready to talk smack.
Yeah, they look like hot trash
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

Brandon72

Check out our non-conference schedule and then Kentucky.  It will make you....   :puke:

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Brandon72 on November 15, 2016, 08:09:05 pm
Check out our non-conference schedule and then Kentucky.  It will make you....   :puke:

We are not Kentucky

Rawker

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on November 14, 2016, 10:07:28 pm
Should move more basketball games to Little Rock. Central Arkansas are big time basketball and Mike Anderson fans. Games on Friday night's early in the season should be played in central Arkansas. No excuses!!

Agreeeeed.  Maybe if they play Verizon enough they'll get used to the sorry-ness of the court and win the games they should win there.  But no doubt....the crowd has been ALL in during the game when they come down.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on November 15, 2016, 09:12:50 am
The administration or whomever is in charge of promoting the program must become creative. We have the preseason SEC player of the year in basketball and two very good players from Arkansas (Macon, Hannah) that are in the Arkansas starting line up.

I would be all over that to get fans back in the seats. They should look into lowering prices for students and ticket prices for general admission during the non-conference games. I know we want home court advantage but early in the season move two games to Little Rock. I can guarantee that you will  have 10,000 fans in the seats in central Arkansas.

This is true because UALR is its only competition. I also of the belief that College Basketball is overshadowed in the SEC (excluding Kentucky & Vanderbilt) by Football.

I wish it didn't start until aftet Thanksgiving allowing the local & sometimes national media outside of Bowl games to devote 75% of sport's airtime towards it.

Heck you can't even view your first 3-4 games (exhibition included) on tv unless your one of the coveted blue blood schools.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Rawker on November 16, 2016, 04:05:21 am
Agreeeeed.  Maybe if they play Verizon enough they'll get used to the sorry-ness of the court and win the games they should win there.  But no doubt....the crowd has been ALL in during the game when they come down.

Something has to change. NWA has proven that they will not support Razorback basketball during the non conference season. Razorbacks in the Rock would become a big deal if I was in charge. We have a lot of guys from central Arkansas and South that will be playing for the hogs in the future.

Ideally you would like to play at the Bud but you can roll out sisters of the poor in Central Arkansas and get 9 to 10 thousand fans in the building.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Brandon72 on November 15, 2016, 08:09:05 pm

Kentucky's next seven games are Duquesne, Cleveland State, UT Martin, Arizona State, UCLA, Valpo, Hofstra.

Arkansas's next seven games after tonight are Minnesota, MSM, SF Austin (which UK already played), Austin Peay, Houston, North Florida, Texas.

The Cats will have made-for-TV games against North Carolina and Louisville before SEC play begins. They will get more marquee games because of their name.

But our schedule isn't anything to whine about.
[CENSORED]!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on November 16, 2016, 12:20:01 pm
Something has to change. NWA has proven that they will not support Razorback basketball during the non conference season. Razorbacks in the Rock would become a big deal if I was in charge. We have a lot of guys from central Arkansas and South that will be playing for the hogs in the future.

Ideally you would like to play at the Bud but you can roll out sisters of the poor in Central Arkansas and get 9 to 10 thousand fans in the building.

Only if you don't overexpose it.  One or two games the opponents may not would matter. 

What is happening with the non conf crowds in BWA is nothing surprising in the least especially weeknight games.  It is somewhat taking the program for granted but the fans know they have plenty of opportunities to attend games.  The more the fans in central Ark see the opportunities the less urgency they may would have too.  As far as NWA/BWA, give the fans something to come watch in terms of competition. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 16, 2016, 12:28:10 pm
Kentucky's next seven games are Duquesne, Cleveland State, UT Martin, Arizona State, UCLA, Valpo, Hofstra.

Arkansas's next seven games after tonight are Minnesota, MSM, SF Austin (which UK already played), Austin Peay, Houston, North Florida, Texas.

The Cats will have made-for-TV games against North Carolina and Louisville before SEC play begins. They will get more marquee games because of their name.

But our schedule isn't anything to whine about.

Name helps draw opponents.

Schedule is okay from an RPI and level of toughness standpoint.  I thought we were talking about what the fans are being given in BWA in terms of draw/appeal in the opponents. 

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 16, 2016, 12:32:48 pm
Only if you don't overexpose it.  One or two games the opponents may not would matter. 

What is happening with the non conf crowds in BWA is nothing surprising in the least especially weeknight games.  It is somewhat taking the program for granted but the fans know they have plenty of opportunities to attend games.  The more the fans in central Ark see the opportunities the less urgency they may would have too.  As far as NWA/BWA, give the fans something to come watch in terms of competition.

No excuses!! Support the team. We are playing quality teams that are projected to win in their respective conferences. Get behind the Razorbacks or play somewhere that will get behind the Razorbacks.

I would play in Little Rock and even try to get somebody to play in Memphis. We don't have time to wait on the fickle fans in the North.

mizzouman

Here's what you do about ticket prices.  Each ticket should and some blocks of tickets, need to go on some sort of Ebay type system where fans bid on them.  Start every ticket at $1 then go from there. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on November 16, 2016, 12:45:25 pm
No excuses!! Support the team. We are playing quality teams that are projected to win in their respective conferences. Get behind the Razorbacks or play somewhere that will get behind the Razorbacks.

I would play in Little Rock and even try to get somebody to play in Memphis. We don't have time to wait on the fickle fans in the North.

That only goes as far as those of us who pay attention.  To fill up BWA or big crowds for multiple games in NLR, you need the casual fans who don't care UTA has a pretty good team for their level this season. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on November 16, 2016, 12:45:25 pm
No excuses!! Support the team. We are playing quality teams that are projected to win in their respective conferences.

You may know they are good, I may know they are good, but most fans see Fort Wayne or UT- Arlington and think " is this an exhibition game?". Then they turn on espn and see mich st/Kentucky, or Duke/Kansas and think why can't they Hogs play games like that.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

FineAsSwine

Quote from: hogsanity on November 17, 2016, 09:03:28 am
You may know they are good, I may know they are good, but most fans see Fort Wayne or UT- Arlington and think " is this an exhibition game?". Then they turn on espn and see mich st/Kentucky, or Duke/Kansas and think why can't they Hogs play games like that.

Very true for the casual fan, and no disrespect to casual fans because the Hogs need them to come and then evolve into hardcore fans after developing a relationship with the team.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: hogsanity on November 17, 2016, 09:03:28 am

1. The basketball team signs a very good class last season
2. The basketball program follows up with a solid class this season
3. The 2018 class will be very good .

Everything about the Razorback program is looking up but we don't have the media support. The Arkansas media had pre-season specials building up the buzz about the football team but I have yet to see any preseason special about Razorback basketball. To have a program you must have a program. Mike Anderson can not build the program on the court without a solid team off the court.  Every year fans are so excited about Razorback football particularly because the media promotes the program.

When I was younger Arkansas had pre-season basketball specials that aired statewide to promote the basketball program.  Media will get the those (I hate to call them fans) fans that are not familiar with the basketball team. Mike Anderson will have to use this as another chip on his shoulders. This team will have to say it's us in the locker room against the world. I'm hopeful that the players and coaches will use this as a positive and not become weary about the lack of support for the basketball program.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on November 17, 2016, 10:35:15 am

Everything about the Razorback program is looking up but we don't have the media support. The Arkansas media had pre-season specials building up the buzz about the football team but I have yet to see any preseason special about Razorback basketball. To have a program you must have a program. Mike Anderson can not build the program on the court without a solid team off the court.  Every year fans are so excited about Razorback football particularly because the media promotes the program.

When I was younger Arkansas had pre-season basketball specials that aired statewide to promote the basketball program.  Media will get the those (I hate to call them fans) fans that are not familiar with the basketball team. Mike Anderson will have to use this as another chip on his shoulders. This team will have to say it's us in the locker room against the world. I'm hopeful that the players and coaches will use this as a positive and not become weary about the lack of support for the basketball program.

I can't disagree with anything you said there my Hog brother. I used to love the ones with Paul Eels and I used have daily and sunday subscriptions to both the Gazette and the Democrat so that I could get my Razorback tidbits from Orville's Notepad and I could glean Wally's columns for the abundant stupidity. The Gazette and Democrat sports sections back in the eighties, my greatest love - hate relationship in my life.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on November 17, 2016, 10:35:15 am

They probably have something planned for after Thanksgiving.  Media likes to do things when they will have viewers interested.

College football, football in general, is significantly more popular.  Again, the media covers based on the interest as it is a business.  Pre-Thanksgiving is football season. 

College basketball interest and product isn't what it was.

Our program specifically couldn't have been much more blah the previous 5 seasons with the exception of Portis and Qualls 2014-15 team.  We went with the Fastest 40 as the branding effort.  That's it.  A twitter tag.  Nothing else was done around or by the program to generate excitement.  And in this era, college basketball has to generate interest especially if they are going to start 2 weeks before Thanksgiving and expect a large amount of fans to pay attention. 

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 17, 2016, 10:55:57 am
They probably have something planned for after Thanksgiving.  Media likes to do things when they will have viewers interested.

College football, football in general, is significantly more popular.  Again, the media covers based on the interest as it is a business.  Pre-Thanksgiving is football season. 

College basketball interest and product isn't what it was.

Our program specifically couldn't have been much more blah the previous 5 seasons with the exception of Portis and Qualls 2014-15 team.  We went with the Fastest 40 as the branding effort.  That's it.  A twitter tag.  Nothing else was done around or by the program to generate excitement.  And in this era, college basketball has to generate interest especially if they are going to start 2 weeks before Thanksgiving and expect a large amount of fans to pay attention.

Looks like the Athletic Department either doesn't have a plan or even worse, they do and this is all we are getting.

311Hog

i can't tell if the media (powers that be) are keeping the hype low in an effort to keep the expectations low or if the apathy really has reached a new low.  I mean it is true i think the love for football as the No. 1 sport may never wane regardless of results, but Bball should be a strong 2nd but it feels almost tied with baseball at the moment.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: 311Hog on November 17, 2016, 10:59:25 am
i can't tell if the media (powers that be) are keeping the hype low in an effort to keep the expectations low or if the apathy really has reached a new low.  I mean it is true i think the love for football as the No. 1 sport may never wane regardless of results, but Bball should be a strong 2nd but it feels almost tied with baseball at the moment.

Perhaps the athletic department believes they are marketing the men's basketball program. Maybe they have nobody on hand who has a background working with a basketball power.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 16, 2016, 12:35:24 pm
Name helps draw opponents.

Schedule is okay from an RPI and level of toughness standpoint.  I thought we were talking about what the fans are being given in BWA in terms of draw/appeal in the opponents. 

Kentucky played Michigan State in Madison Square Garden. Their first home games:

Stephen F. Austin
Canisius
Duquesne
Cleveland State
UT Martin

Please! Give me another excuse.
[CENSORED]!

hogsanity

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 17, 2016, 11:43:09 am
Kentucky played Michigan State in Madison Square Garden. Their first home games:

Stephen F. Austin
Canisius
Duquesne
Cleveland State
UT Martin

Ok, not nearly as many people care about hog basketball or college basketball in general as they did in 1994.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 17, 2016, 11:43:09 am

Stephen F. Austin
Canisius
Duquesne
Cleveland State
UT Martin

UK doesn't have to schedule for attendance or branding.  I wasn't making an excuse.  Was talking about being a draw for opponents to play.  Playing UK at Rupp is a draw IF UK CHOSE TO TRY AND PLAY THEM IN RUPP.  Playing the Hogs in BWA right now isn't.  Why would a program do it?  I am trying to be nice to the current staff and figure out why the hell they scheduled this nonconference slate of home games.  I would have to go back and look at specifics but we have rarely played a ranked non conference opponent since Anderson got here at home.  Road either for that matter. 

Atlhogfan1

Again, it goes back to branding.  The program hasn't done darn to help itself in this area in creating excitement.  The coaching hire was supposed to have done it - nope.  Go with an easy non conf slate while we rebuild to roll up a bunch of wins - nope.  Stick with this non conf plan.  Create a hashtag and tell everyone how fast we play.  Scheduling is a way to make a program seem bigger and more important than it is.  We have acted like most of the other programs in this conference who don't give a darn about basketball. 

zebradynasty

Quote from: 311Hog on November 15, 2016, 12:49:05 pm
Yeah the lack of student support is where my curiosity resides.  I mean sure we haven't really won much in the last decade, but we have always been good at home so the likely hood of winning the home game you attend is very high.   The students make the atmosphere IMHO.  When i was a student i remember they had the bball tickets seperate from football and football was just a dollar per game.  I didn't always buy bball tickets because they were more expensive.  Now i believe they are all bundled into one so there are alot of students with bball tickets that just don't go.

Yeah unless there is a big name opponent the student section is just dead!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 17, 2016, 11:59:39 am
UK doesn't have to schedule for attendance or branding.  I wasn't making an excuse.  Was talking about being a draw for opponents to play.  Playing UK at Rupp is a draw IF UK CHOSE TO TRY AND PLAY THEM IN RUPP.  Playing the Hogs in BWA right now isn't.  Why would a program do it?  I am trying to be nice to the current staff and figure out why the hell they scheduled this nonconference slate of home games.  I would have to go back and look at specifics but we have rarely played a ranked non conference opponent since Anderson got here at home.  Road either for that matter. 

I actually like this schedule. It's a relief compared with what we saw in the past.

I don't believe there's many high-major teams itching to come to BWA.
[CENSORED]!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 17, 2016, 01:27:43 pm
I actually like this schedule. It's a relief compared with what we saw in the past.

I don't believe there's many high-major teams itching to come to BWA.
I agree.  Scheduling isn't simple.

Which goes to my earlier comments.  No reason to as it is risky for a loss and travel expense for not much reward as of now.  We aren't an attractive opponent. Don't offer visibility for an opponent or for a network. Hopefully some NCAAT success will increase our brand visibility back towards what it once was and some teams will see some value in playing in BWA and having us at their place.  Not the Minnesotas or Clemsons of college basketball.