Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

PGA Championship Thread

Started by EastexHawg, July 25, 2016, 03:18:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

EastexHawg

Mickelson, McIlroy, and Jason Day are playing together Thursday and Friday.  I say the old man beats both Rory and Jason over 36 holes.

I will say this...if the wind doesn't blow, this is the kind of course that McIlroy can eat alive. 

Overall my top three are Mickelson, McIlroy, and Brandt Snedecker.

Jackrabbit Hog

Sergio, continuing the streak of  "best without a major" finally winning one.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on July 25, 2016, 08:31:14 pm
Sergio, continuing the streak of  "best without a major" finally winning one.

I'd like to see that. Ever since seeing him on Feherty, I like the guy. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

ricepig

I've got Johnson, Johnson, or Johnston.

GoHogs1091

Baltusrol (Lower Course) is the type of course that a "bomber" should do well.  Players such as J.B. Holmes, Gary Woodland, and Bubba Watson should do well this week.

I didn't write an "Early Look at" post because Baltusrol (Lower Course) is just not that great from an architectural stand point.  It does have some Major Championship history, but the course just doesn't have the "it" factor regarding the architecture.

One aspect that is really cheesy is that the course is set-up for the PGA Championship with both Par 5 holes being on the Back 9.  That is an unbalanced course set-up.  The unbalanced set-up is made even worse with both Par 5 holes being back-to-back (Hole 17 and Hole 18).  I personally feel there should be a balanced course set-up (should be a Par 35 on both 9s), and I personally feel that Major Championship Rounds shouldn't be ending on a Par 5.

For the Championship, the Par 4 3rd Hole is being played at 503 yards.  To me, around 30 to 35 yards should be added to the 3rd Hole, and it be a Par 5 (a 533 to 538 yard Par 5).  For the Championship, the Par 5 18th Hole is being played at 554 yards.  To me, the 18th Hole should be reduced down to 490 yards, and it be a stout Par 4.  Those changes would create course set-up balance, and it would enable the Rounds to be finished on a strong Par 4 hole.

Also, the greens on Baltusrol's Lower Course are relatively flatish.  It has been conveyed by people that "only if the greens on Baltusrol's Upper Course could be on the Lower Course."  Basically, the test this week for the Pros will be some tee-to-green test, but even at that there will be some Players who can overpower the course.

Here is a good 11 page photo album located on another message board of the Lower Course at Baltusrol.  You can click on any of the pictures on the index page to get it going, and then you can click on an arrow to advance it.  After you click on a picture on the index page to get it going, you can click on a "Start Slide Show" button to make it become an automatic slide show.

http://myphillygolf.com/uploads/bausch/BaltusrolLower/index.html

oldman1015

"nice post Robert" in my best delta voice.
Arkansas, the left lane state.

EastexHawg

Quote from: ricepig on July 25, 2016, 09:12:21 pm
I've got Johnson, Johnson, or Johnston.

Every time I see Johnston I think of Fat Bastard in the Austin Powers movies.  "Bring me a BABY!" 

Being that ugly doesn't come easy.  You have to really want it.

Pulled(PP)pork

who is the silly bassturd that keeps paying the internet bill for gohogs??

PP

Sir Oinksalot

Love DJ, total supporter ....

When I seen him turn on that golfball and stretch like that ...

Forget about it ......

he demonstrated the perfect golf swing ...
Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

Iwastherein1969

Gonna ride this horse until he runs his best race and I get a feeling Baltusrol is about to feel the wrath of this man....and we all know who is the best player when they have their 'A' game working...no surprises, here's the winner of the 2016 PGA...
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on July 26, 2016, 11:00:49 pm
Gonna ride this horse until he runs his best race and I get a feeling Baltusrol is about to feel the wrath of this man....and we all know who is the best player when they have their 'A' game working...no surprises, here's the winner of the 2016 PGA...

That horse is well on his way to the Strongheart Dogfood factory.  He and Phil are both +4 through 11 holes; neither has made a birdie yet.  Course doesn't appear to be playing too tough either.  Jimmy Walker currently leading at -5.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Jackrabbit Hog

Dan Jenkins on Rory today:

Dan Jenkins @danjenkinsgd:
So, Jason was solid, Phil turned a 78 into a 71, and Rory looked like he was playing in a pro-am he didn't care about.

majestic

Hey, Rory's only 9 strokes back.  He'll probably shoot a 59 tomorrow and then run away with this thing, just like he did when he shot 20 under to force the playoff with Stenson.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

ricepig

Quote from: majestic on July 28, 2016, 01:33:03 pm
Hey, Rory's only 9 strokes back.  He'll probably shoot a 59 tomorrow and then run away with this thing, just like he did when he shot 20 under to force the playoff with Stenson.

I'll take that bet, lol.

Jackrabbit Hog

DJ is reverting to his old putting ways.  +5 through his first 7 holes.

Boarcephus

Dustin just doubled 11 to go to +6
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Jackrabbit Hog

The announcers have mentioned several times that the greens, by major championship standards, are soft, slow and relatively flat.  Not sure why we are seeing such bad putting today.

majestic

My picks are/were:

Day, Spieth, Fowler or Langer.

majestic

"Beef" Johnston has a Arby's logo. Hilarious!

Jackrabbit Hog

77 (+7) for DJ.  He'll have to go low tomorrow just to make the cut.

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on July 28, 2016, 05:46:16 pm
77 (+7) for DJ.  He'll have to go low tomorrow just to make the cut.

Got em right where he wants them.....

Boarcephus

Watching the Golf Channel and evidently Rory left his game on the greens.  Bet he missed half a dozen putts from 6 feet in.  Once you start missing those 4-6 footers it seems like that's the only putts you have. 

EastexHawg

The longest putt Rory made was 6'11".  He missed several in that range.  I've said it several times lately... he is the worst short putter I've ever seen for a great player.

Boarcephus

Rory is one of the best in the world tee to green but very average on the green.  Have to say putting is played on that 6 inch course between the ears and Rory sucks on that course.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Boarcephus on July 28, 2016, 08:48:14 pm
Rory is one of the best in the world tee to green but very average on the green.  Have to say putting is played on that 6 inch course between the ears and Rory sucks on that course.

I would argue that for the past year or so he has been below average on the greens.  Rory's just a real interesting case.  You have to appreciate how blunt and honest he is when asked questions - such as his responses to the Olympics questions prior to the Open - but you also have to admit his demeanor on the course often leaves a lot to be desired.  I'd say he and DJ are the two most talented golfers in the world tee to green, and when either of those two has a good putting week odds are he will win.  So far this week, neither seems to have a clue on the greens.

I wouldn't mind seeing Jimmy Walker hold on and win.  American, solid career so far, would not be thought of as a fluke, and would continue the trend of the last two majors having winners who have been on tour a long time and needed a major for their resume.

EastexHawg

Rory's demeanor on the course has changed.  I think it's the frustration of not winning when he and all the rest of us thought he was headed to an all-time great career.  I think he still may be, but right now he has lost his #1 ranking.  I think he needs to calm down and show some patience.

Boarcephus

I just pulled up the PGA putting stats and to no surprise, Day is 1, Phil is 4 and Speight is 5.  As poorly as it seems Dustin putts, he's ranked 34.  Rory in bringing up the rear in this bunch at 61st. 

Jackrabbit Hog

Spieth making a major move this morning.  He made the turn in -4 and is only one shot out of the lead.  Yesterday it looked like he had trouble figuring out the speed of the greens.  I saw him leave several putts short in the 15-20 foot range.  I guess he's got them figured out a little better today.

Jackrabbit Hog

If Spieth ever figures out how to drive the ball in the fairway, he'll be the best again.  He's been all over the course off the tee (currently in the midst of a 10 minute discussion with a marshal due to driving into casual water on a cart path) and is still -4 for today.

EastexHawg

Patrick Reed made a big move today.  We must be getting close to the Ryder Cup.  Dustin Johnson may have beaten a couple of club pros.  I think he tied Rocco. 

Rory needs to shoot 68 to make the cut.  Another 71 would probably do it for Phil.  With the lead at 6 under, anyone who makes the cut may have a chance to get back into it.

Jackrabbit Hog

Phil strides triumphantly to the first tee, gives it a confident address.........and promptly hits a huuuuuuge slice OB on the left.  Will be hitting 3 off the tee in a moment.

Edit:  And his second tee ball goes waaaaay right, but at least it's in bounds.

EastexHawg

Phil should just get in his car and go home.  He missed the cut on the first tee.

PonderinHog

Quote from: EastexHawg on July 29, 2016, 01:35:55 pm
Phil should just get in his car and go home.  He missed the cut on the first tee.
I don't think Phil got the memo.

ricepig

Quote from: PonderinHog on July 29, 2016, 03:49:40 pm
I don't think Phil got the memo.

Nope, and he's missed 3 short putts for birdie.

Boarcephus

I like what the announcers just said about Rory.  You can't hit your irons close enough to the pin to offset bad putting in the majors.  Just watched his reaction after he hit one to about 15 feet or so for a birdie and his caddie handed him the putter and he looked like he didn't want to take it.  He's screwed.

PonderinHog

On another note, Jason Day is putting very well.

Boarcephus

Quote from: PonderinHog on July 29, 2016, 05:26:51 pm
On another note, Jason Day is putting very well.

Birdied the last 7 out of 8 till he missed at 16. 

majestic

I can putt better than Rory.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: majestic on July 29, 2016, 05:37:19 pm
I can putt better than Rory.

Helen Keller putted better than Rory.

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on July 29, 2016, 07:01:28 pm
Helen Keller putted better than Rory.

You think he was guessing on 18?

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ricepig on July 29, 2016, 07:18:57 pm
You think he was guessing on 18?

I think you can just about pick your hole and he was guessing on it.

It's really a shame because he's just got so much talent with a driver or an iron in his hands.  When Ernie Els was going through the yips at Augusta this spring, he said in a post-round interview it was like his head was full of snakes.  I'm not sure I know exactly what that means, but I think Rory can probably relate.

EastexHawg

You can see that Mickelson is ready to shoot a really low round.  It's probably too late to matter, but after the disaster on 1 he striped it all day.  If he had putted well he may have shot 65 or 66 with a triple.

PonderinHog

I'm terrible at this, but watch out for Mr. Day.  He's well within striking distance.

Jackrabbit Hog

Other than Robert Scab, or Strep, or whatever his name is, it's a great leaderboard.  Walker, Stenson, Day, Kaymer, Reed and Fowler are all in the top ten.  Spieth's still in contention if he goes low today.

Jackrabbit Hog

Ian Baker-Finch calls Bubba Watson "Bubber."  For some reason I find this humorous.

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on July 30, 2016, 10:38:28 am
Ian Baker-Finch calls Bubba Watson "Bubber."  For some reason I find this humorous.

Queen's English, or what the cast offs knew of it.........

Jackrabbit Hog

Phil is on the patio of a hospitality box on 17......on his LAY-UP second shot.  Has there ever been a pro golfer in history who has authored more amazing, impossible shots than Phil, while at the same time hitting shots that an 18 handicapper would be ashamed of?

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on July 30, 2016, 11:13:53 am
Phil is on the patio of a hospitality box on 17......on his LAY-UP second shot.  Has there ever been a pro golfer in history who has authored more amazing, impossible shots than Phil, while at the same time hitting shots that an 18 handicapper would be ashamed of?

This 18 handicapper would be proud of a 300 yard off line shot, just sayin........

PonderinHog

Quote from: ricepig on July 30, 2016, 11:20:34 am
This 18 handicapper would be proud of a 300 yard off line shot, just sayin........
Cart path, baby!

ricepig

Quote from: PonderinHog on July 30, 2016, 11:23:43 am
Cart path, baby!

Yeah, but on some of those uphillers, it rolled back to me!