Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hawaii Vacation

Started by HAWG4LIFE, September 07, 2006, 04:19:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HAWG4LIFE

My husband and I want to go to Hawaii, but we are worried that we won't get our monies worth. Any suggestions?

Thanks!! :razorback:

LL COOL HOG

I'm no expert at this. However I'm sure most hotels have guides that will give you a tour of the islands.  Go see a travel agent for info and prices.  Then go online to sites like Expedia and compare them all.  If you want to adopt a 30 year old son to take on your trip I'll be happy to go....

Hope you have fun.

hambone

September 07, 2006, 09:48:04 pm #2 Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 03:17:09 pm by hambone
Quote from: HAWG4LIFE on September 07, 2006, 04:19:29 pm
My husband and I want to go to Hawaii, but we are worried that we won't get our monies worth. Any suggestions?

Thanks!! :razorback:

Read my post down below, "had a great time this summer" 

We spent 3 weeks there earlier this summer. 

How long are you going to be there and what Islands are you visiting?

More importantly, what is your idea of "fun"?

hogdave

If you know someone that has military retirement benefits have them sponsor you into the cabins at Bellows Air Station.  Walk out the back door onto the perfect beach.  Can't beat it on Oahu..

RockyMtnHog

If you have military benefits (Active or Retired) the Hale Koa Hotel is on Waikiki Beach and is absolutely World Class.  We took a 14 hour tour to the Big Island.  The tour was good, but next time we will go to Kauai.  Other than that rent a car and drive around the island.  Go to Aloha Stadium for the Flea Market on Sat, Sun and Wed for souvenirs and other stuff.  The Naval Exchange at Pearl Harbor is very nice.

Enjoy your trip.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

hoggerdinger

Go.
The beauty will bring tears to your eyes.  Even if you don't do the "expensive" things.  We did the helicopter tour into the volcanoes in Kauai.  Unbelievable.
I have traveled all over the world and Hawaii is the most beautiful place I've seen.
I hope you like spam, the Hawaiians love it.
I hope you have fun.

go hogues

Try North Shore Oahu in the town called Haleiwa (Hol-A-eva).  That is my favorite place I have been out of three of the Hawaiian Islands.  The Turtle Bay resort there is unmatched and fairly reasonable (for Hawaii). 
The Big Island is great too and has lots to do.  Don't be scared when you land in Kona and it looks like you're touching down on the moon. 
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

msudawgs64

Well first off, what part of Hawaii are you going to?  There are multiple islands to choose from and all differ in what they offer and really what you can do on the island itself.

If you and your husband don't mind getting up close and personal with live volcanoes, then you have to visit the Big Island, but if you have asthma or other breathing conditions, word of warning, this will probably kick your arse so you may want to avoid this one but if not, it is worth it, take the tour up to the tallest mountain in the world, Mauna Kea, which if measured from the ocean floor to the peak is over 32,000 feet. You are issued a parka and gloves if you sign up for this tour, there is actually snow on the top of the peak and it is some kind of cold, but the return trip down is awesome and the stars are incredible. go hogues is right, you land and your first reaction is what the hell, but if you drive over to the Hilo side,it is some kind of green.  Hilo gets all the rain, the Kona side rarely gets the rain.

My wife and I have been to the islands 4 times now in the past 6 years, different island each time for the most part but we have gone to Kauai twice now, IMO the most beautiful of all of the islands.  Maui is getting quite commericalized but I think one of the good things about that is that you are not stuck paying a fortune at the hotel to eat and such.  If you can get a package deal with one of the hotels that takes care of breakfast or any meals, by all means do that.  Oahu is commercial but it is still worth visiting, Pearl Harbor is here and that in and of itself is worth the trip itself.   

I also suggest just renting a car and exploring the island you are on, on your schedule and at your leisure.
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

"I'd rather lose a game like that than a 5-4 ballgame when somebody walks in the winning run or makes an error" -MSU's former head coach Ron Polk after South Carolina pummeled the Bulldogs 20-3 on 3/23/2007.

Feb. 20, 2009-a new era in MSU Baseball begins.