Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Would Bielema Step Down...

Started by Michael_E_Davis, August 11, 2017, 11:09:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael_E_Davis

If he is unable to produce a winning season this year?   For many of you (including myself)  this year is crucial.  It's Bielema's last year to prove he can put together a winning team at Arkansas,  probably not in Jeff Long's mind,  but in the minds of many fans.

However, I was listening to Sports Talk yesterday (I believe)  and someone on the show stated that he believed Bielema would resign if he didn't have a winning season this year. I was curious everyone else's opinion on this.  Is Bielema the kind of coach that would step down if he couldn't do the job - or would he just keep grinding out bad to mediocre seasons?

"I struggled through many problems in my life, most of which never happened." -Unknown

Peter Porker

Quote from: Michael_E_Davis on August 11, 2017, 11:09:10 am
If he is unable to produce a winning season this year?   For many of you (including myself)  this year is crucial.  It's Bielema's last year to prove he can put together a winning team at Arkansas,  probably not in Jeff Long's mind,  but in the minds of many fans.

However, I was listening to Sports Talk yesterday (I believe)  and someone on the show stated that he believed Bielema would resign if he didn't have a winning season this year. I was curious everyone else's opinion on this.  Is Bielema the kind of coach that would step down if he couldn't do the job - or would he just keep grinding out bad to mediocre seasons?

He will have a winning season. Discussion over.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

RME

rhames

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Seebs

To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

FANONTHEHILL

People leave $4 million a year jobs beceause of message boards all the time don't they?
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

jackflash

RME

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on August 11, 2017, 11:19:14 am
People leave $4 million a year jobs beceause of message boards all the time don't they?

To piggyback off that^, college football coaches, some of the most competitive people on this planet, usually walk away from a tough job, don't they?

Wildhog

A. He'll win more games than he loses.
B. IF he did have a losing season, I don't know if he'd resign, but he wouldn't be fired.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Al Boarland

Poker_hog

No.  I our best hope would be he'd to a HDN and most of his buyout would be offset by his new salary, probability at a lower tiered big ten school.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

hawgwash

Gotta love a comment disguised as a question.

GuvHog

Quote from: jackflash on August 11, 2017, 11:20:59 am
I think the answer would be no

I actually believe he would but that isn't going to be an issue anyway. I still believe they'll go 9-3 in regular season play.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

MuskogeeHogFan

Here we are just before the season and we are already asking questions like this? If you don't want to email Coach Bielema and ask him directly, just wait until the end of the season and see. August 31st can't get here soon enough.
Go Hogs Go!

Michael_E_Davis

Quote from: hawgwash on August 11, 2017, 11:49:09 am

It isn't a comment.  It was a question as it was stated.  As I wrote, if you would have bothered to read,  that a person on sports talk brought this possibility up.  I didn't come up with it.  I was just curious other people's opinions on it.
"I struggled through many problems in my life, most of which never happened." -Unknown

GuvHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 11, 2017, 12:06:25 pm
Here we are just before the season and we are already asking questions like this? If you don't want to email Coach Bielema and ask him directly, just wait until the end of the season and see. August 31st can't get here soon enough.

I agree. The discussion is meaningless because it isn't going to be an issue.

I 100% agree with your last sentence. I'm more than ready!!
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Hogopolis

Arkansas is going to win 9 games, so this is a moot point. 

Justifiable Hogicide

If he is unable to produce a winning season this year?   For many of you (including myself)  this year is crucial.
Rest easy. Expect a winning season and a long fun ride ahead with Coach B.

gchamblee

Quote from: Michael_E_Davis on August 11, 2017, 12:08:08 pm
It isn't a comment.  It was a question as it was stated.  As I wrote, if you would have bothered to read,  that a person on sports talk brought this possibility up.  I didn't come up with it.  I was just curious other people's opinions on it.

Everyone did bother to read that trash in the op, and everyone is responding accordingly. We know you have wet dreams about coach being fired, but can you please stop sharing them with us?

Pig Power

31to6

Would you?

swineology

However, I was listening to Sports Talk yesterday (I believe) and someone on the show stated that he believed Bielema would resign if he didn't have a winning season this year. I was curious everyone else's opinion on this.  Is Bielema the kind of coach that would step down if he couldn't do the job - or would he just keep grinding out bad to mediocre seasons?

Stopped reading right there.

Hurry up Aug 31st

code red

Quote from: Hogopolis on August 11, 2017, 12:18:23 pm
I'll take the under
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

HawgTide

Quote from: Justifiable Hogicide on August 11, 2017, 12:23:02 pm
Rest easy. Expect a winning season and a long fun ride ahead with Coach B.

I'm excited for our football season just not the bitching season. I fully expect a lot of shots taken all year no matter how many we win.

cityhog

Quote from: Hogopolis on August 11, 2017, 12:18:23 pm

oh man are you setting yourself up for a sad fall season

Youngsta71701

Quote from: cityhog on August 11, 2017, 12:53:39 pm
Yep it's better for him to predict 6 and we win 9 than it is for him to predict 9 and we win 6. That's what Rainwater is doing. That unreached potential always seem to sting a little bit more.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Next1_04

Talking about our coach stepping down right before kickoff. Brilliant.

hawgfan4life

Losing season?  Do you mean total wins and losses or are you asking about only conference games?  BB has had one single losing season his entire coaching career and that was his first season at AR.  Petrino had a losing season with AR and the previous coaches all had 1 or more losing seasons going back to Jack Crowe.  The OP is simply a bad question, bait for people to poo pooh the coach they don't like, or some other negative goal.  I wish Mods would instantly trash this type of stuff.  Look up most HC and you will see that most have a year or two of losing seasons.  Gary Patterson is a great coach and he has had 4 losing seasons at TCU.  Patterson has had LOSING seasons two of the last four seasons.  What he did in those other years demonstrates his ability to coach.  BB has demonstrated his ability to coach and recruit.  Is he a top 10 coach?  Doesn't look like it with the past couple of seasons, but prior to that was building a program back up from a dumpster fire.  Losing season just doesn't seem likely unless the wheels fall off due to injuries and/or player suspensions.  Fans clamoring for a new coach if he only goes 7 or 8 wins have a right to want more and be a little impatient, but would serve themselves a little better with a view of the big picture.  We play in a "Division" of the SEC that has four teams that have zero excuse to NOT be a better program than us every year right now.  There are two other teams in the division that have every reason to expect to compete with us on an annual basis.  Those don't include the Eastern games and non-conference games we play annually.

Frank Beamer didn't get Va Tech to a bowl game until year 7 of his tenure.  He averaged 4 wins per season his first six years at Va Tech.  He built them into a power, but it took a long time to build them into a power in the Big East and he then maintained them as a power in the ACC which wasn't anything like the SEC in most of those years.

All the talk about getting a better coach is just silly right now.  AR has shown flashes of what we want far more than they have been embarrassing.  Slow and steady improvement is better than flashes and crashes.  Bill Snyder took a while to build K State into the program they are today and they still had a 6 win season two seasons ago.

Pig in the Pokey

A WINNING season? Come the hell on, dude. My God.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: cityhog on August 11, 2017, 12:53:39 pm
sounds like you are the one who has already surrendered the season, bruh.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Inhogswetrust

I think you should step down as a mediocre fan for starting a topic like this right before the season starts....................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

sowmonella

I knew you had serious issues when I saw your negative post on CBB twitter message about the passing of Pat Gazzola. You've got bigger problems than this OP.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

rljjr

WHY are there so many "get rid of the coach" agendas? The program is finally stable. Now it's time to win. I'd be willing to give him a mandatory 3 more seasons after this one. We are going to start seeing coaches at other programs getting tossed or leaving. It's time to stay the course and parlay that insecurity in other programs into wins.

JIMMY BOARFFETT

Getting fired pays better than walking away.
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

RME

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on August 11, 2017, 01:39:38 pm
I think you should step down as a mediocre fan for starting a topic like this right before the season starts....................

Check out dude's topics that he's previously started. Some real winners in there.

Hawgphat

Quote from: hawgwash on August 11, 2017, 11:49:09 am

When a head coaches' continued employment at his current job is called into question on a rather wide scale, there's bound to be SOME consideration given to such a growing mass of voices asking that question.  In the final analysis, Razorback fans aren't holding the hammer as the deciding factor to this growing question; - - JL and the big dog honchos are. - - - But the mega-dollar payouts by Hogs fans cannot be discounted and sneezed at.  If a very large faction of fans should become vocally disenchanted with the direction of the program, - and if they should choose to express their displeasure with their pocketbooks - - I would tend to think that SOME accommodation would necessarily HAVE to eventually be made to placate those who constitute the life-blood of the program. Rising discontent cannot be ignored or dismissed indefinitely.

That's just one man's opinion.

Michael_E_Davis

Quote from: gchamblee on August 11, 2017, 12:24:30 pm
Everyone did bother to read that trash in the op, and everyone is responding accordingly. We know you have wet dreams about coach being fired, but can you please stop sharing them with us?

What are you talking about? I support Bielema.  I have from the beginning.  This is just a suggestion;   try knowing what you are talking about before posting.

Michael_E_Davis

Quote from: Next1_04 on August 11, 2017, 01:03:15 pm
Talking about our coach stepping down right before kickoff. Brilliant.

It was sports talk radio that was talking about it.  I was just relaying what they were talking about to get opinions on what they were saying. I don't know how many times I am going to have to say this.  People seem to have reading problems around here.

gchamblee

Quote from: Michael_E_Davis on August 11, 2017, 01:59:04 pm
What are you talking about? I support Bielema.  I have from the beginning.  This is just a suggestion;   try knowing what you are talking about before posting.

Trust me, I knew exactly what I was talking about.

Michael_E_Davis

Quote from: gchamblee on August 11, 2017, 02:03:09 pm
Trust me, I knew exactly what I was talking about.

You have absolutely 'zero'  clue what you are talking about. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hawgphat on August 11, 2017, 01:56:46 pm
When a head coaches' continued employment at his current job is called into question on a rather wide scale, there's bound to be SOME consideration given to such a growing mass of voices asking that question.  In the final analysis, Razorback fans aren't holding the hammer as the deciding factor to this growing question; - - JL and the big dog honchos are. - - - But the mega-dollar payouts by Hogs fans cannot be discounted and sneezed at.  If a very large faction of fans should become vocally disenchanted with the direction of the program, - and if they should choose to express their displeasure with their pocketbooks - - I would tend to think that SOME accommodation would necessarily HAVE to eventually be made to placate those who constitute the life-blood of the program. Rising discontent cannot be ignored or dismissed indefinitely.

That's just one man's opinion.

You make some good points. However there is no big rising discontent now since the season hasn't even started. There are only a minority that don't like CBB and never will. Thus the media picks up on that and/or simply looks at the record without taking all the variables into effect.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

870hogfan

Pretty sad our some of our fans want him to fail...

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on August 11, 2017, 01:22:54 pm
sounds like you are the one who has already surrendered the season, bruh.

This
[CENSORED]!

Youngsta71701

Would Bielema Step Down... Would you?
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

DoctorSusscrofa

We're going 8-4 or 9-3. No better or worse. So we won't ever know.
I expect to win the games we ought to win and be competitive in as many other games as possible. - M Barton

NuttinItUp

Danimal

Quote from: sowmonella on August 11, 2017, 01:40:37 pm
I knew you had serious issues when I saw your negative post on CBB twitter message about the passing of Pat Gazzola. You've got bigger problems than this OP.
Curiousity has gotten the best of me (I'm not a twitter guy) -- what did it say?

theFlyingHog

lasthog

I, too am curious: Have you gotten your school supplies for the new year yet?

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22