Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What is the commitment to winning?

Started by JOKERHOG, July 22, 2017, 06:00:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tusks

Quote from: gchamblee on July 22, 2017, 09:09:03 pm
He couldn't even beat Kentucky with a heisman quarterback.

He sure as schit could beat A/M
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

gchamblee

Quote from: Wildhog on July 22, 2017, 08:32:30 pm
Great!  Can't wait to see evidence in the win column.

I think we can all agree on this

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on July 22, 2017, 09:04:51 pm
What has the last five years under Bielema got us?  A Sugar Bowl win would be HUGE.

Obviously I'd love an SEC championship, but that sure as hell ain't happening.

4 years people, 4 years......

ricepig

Wildhog

Quote from: factchecker on July 22, 2017, 09:15:23 pm
I understand but they should have still got to the title game.  They beat Alabama twice.  They were paying recruiting top talent to come to Oxford.  Yet they just couldn't get to Atlanta.  They just couldn't beat the Hogs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6O3sIHW-XA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_5eqdRWvhw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiOPko7WKzI

Can't argue with that.

A Sugar Bowl win would have been enough for me, though.  Just my personal opinion.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

tophawg19

Quote from: Wildhog on July 22, 2017, 08:54:07 pm
Well... don't ask the ones from last year.  ;)
teams will tell you that they are always beat up after playing the hogs . it's started the downfall for the Ag's several times .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Wildhog

Quote from: tophawg19 on July 22, 2017, 09:21:37 pm
teams will tell you that they are always beat up after playing the hogs . it's started the downfall for the Ag's several times .

We weren't very tough last year.  That was apparent.
1909/1964/1965/1977

gchamblee

Quote from: tusked on July 22, 2017, 09:16:37 pm
He sure as schit could beat A/M

A big 12 aTm with a different coach and worse talent, yep he sure could. And trust me, I loved watching us beat them but that was not the same aTm team CBB is having to play lol.

gchamblee

Quote from: Wildhog on July 22, 2017, 09:22:54 pm
We weren't very tough last year.  That was apparent.

Anddddd, we fired our DC and replaced him and moved to a different scheme. You act like coach didn't notice there was a problem lol. You do realize we cant go back in a time machine and redo last year right?

Wildhog

Quote from: gchamblee on July 22, 2017, 09:29:08 pm

Anddddd, we fired our DC and replaced him and moved to a different scheme. You act like coach didn't notice there was a problem lol. You do realize we cant go back in a time machine and redo last year right?

Doesn't change the fact that we were soft last year, which was my point.  Hopefully we aren't soft again this year.
1909/1964/1965/1977

presidenthog

Quote from: gchamblee on July 22, 2017, 09:29:08 pm

Some people can't get over last year. I understand. I couldn't while it was going on. I was confused and angry because it was the exact opposite of what Bret preached.

There was leadership problems on last year's team. Those guys are gone. There was lost faith in coaches as well. Those coaches are gone. We made changes. We just need real leaders on this team.

presidenthog

Quote from: Wildhog on July 22, 2017, 09:31:23 pm
Doesn't change the fact that we were soft last year, which was my point.  Hopefully we aren't soft again this year.
We were soft because people like wise, and others on the defense gave up and were causing problems. Basically made our entire defense lose faith in Smith and rory(there was good reason for this though).

We had 2012 type of team on the defense that mailed it in.

tophawg19

Quote from: Wildhog on July 22, 2017, 09:04:51 pm
What has the last five years under Bielema got us?  A Sugar Bowl win would be HUGE.

Obviously I'd love an SEC championship, but that sure as hell ain't happening.
well i don't claim to be a math major , but since cbb has only been here 4 years . i'd say the last 5 have got us 1 year of disaster under smith , 2 years of recovery and 2 decent year .

Wildhog

Quote from: presidenthog on July 22, 2017, 09:35:20 pm
We were soft because people like wise, and others on the defense gave up and were causing problems. Basically made our entire defense lose faith in Smith and rory(there was good reason for this though).

We had 2012 type of team on the defense that mailed it in.

Ok?  Thanks for agreeing with me.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: tophawg19 on July 22, 2017, 09:35:49 pm
well i don't claim to be a math major , but since cbb has only been here 4 years . i'd say the last 5 have got us 1 year of disaster under smith , 2 years of recovery and 2 decent year .

Well, he's been here for four years and 7 months.  I was rounding up.
1909/1964/1965/1977

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: presidenthog on July 22, 2017, 09:33:29 pm
Some people can't get over last year. I understand. I couldn't while it was going on. I was confused and angry because it was the exact opposite of what Bret preached.

There was leadership problems on last year's team. Those guys are gone. There was lost faith in coaches as well. Those coaches are gone. We made changes. We just need real leaders on this team.

The reason some can't get over last year is because it has been the same thing for 4 years now.  Getting leads in the second half and losing them we have done it 2 or 3 times a year since he has been here.  I believe we have played 21 games where we were tied or had the lead in the second half and we have won 6 of them. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

presidenthog

Quote from: Wildhog on July 22, 2017, 09:36:12 pm
Ok?  Thanks for agreeing with me.

Look we both have the same view point. You are just being so negative about it. I'm optimistic because we fired both coaches I wanted fired since 2015. Rory was my Joel Thomas for you.

I honestly think Smith and Rory were 100% our defenses problem. I can't see how we will be like last year this year.

Wildhog

Quote from: presidenthog on July 22, 2017, 09:38:36 pm
Look we both have the same view point. You are just being so negative about it. I'm optimistic because we fired both coaches I wanted fired since 2015. Rory was my Joel Thomas for you.

I honestly think Smith and Rory were 100% our defenses problem. I can't see how we will be like last year this year.

I'm not worked up or anything.  Just haven't been impressed with Bielema.  No hard feelings on this end.
1909/1964/1965/1977

tophawg19

Quote from: Wildhog on July 22, 2017, 09:31:23 pm
i think Florida , Miss, St and Ole Miss would all say that's a lie .

factchecker

Quote from: gchamblee on July 22, 2017, 09:27:40 pm
A big 12 aTm with a different coach and worse talent, yep he sure could. And trust me, I loved watching us beat them but that was not the same aTm team CBB is having to play lol.

That got me thinking what are the results of the games when Bielema and Petrino played the same opponent in the same season-

Coach Bielema and Bobby vs. similar opponents -

Bielema vs. Ohio State    W 31-18
Petrino vs. Ohio State    L 26-31

Bielema vs. Louisiana-Lafayette    W 34-14
Petrino vs. Louisiana-Lafayette    L 20-37

Bielema vs. Georgia     L 32-45
Petrino vs. Georgia     L 14-37

Bielema vs. Auburn     W 54-46
Petrino vs. Auburn     L 14-37

Bielema vs. AnM     L 21-28
Petrino vs. AnM     W 27-21

2016:

Bielema vs. LSU    L 10-38
Petrino vs. LSU     L 9-29
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Wildhog

Quote from: tophawg19 on July 22, 2017, 09:41:51 pm

Oh man.
1909/1964/1965/1977

factchecker

Quote from: tophawg19 on July 22, 2017, 09:41:51 pm

Don't say that.  According to the realists we were lucky to win those games.

The only game we actually won was Alcorn and that was because their backup kicker was hurt.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Deep Shoat

I see JOKER's idiotic thread premise brought out all the usual whiners. 

Will you little girls go into hiding after we beat TCU, or will you keep whining until after TAMU?

There has never been such a clear line drawn between those who actually know football and love the Hogs and those who just like the perks of winning without worrying about the cost to get there.

Let me catch you boys at a tail gate and:

All Gas, No Brakes!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: presidenthog on July 22, 2017, 09:38:36 pm

I'll just pose a question for you gents. It is my understanding that the reason that Segrest was brought here was because he coached his defensive fronts to apply pressure. Except for 2014 (Robb Smith's first year), we saw little of that after Smith's arrival. Did Segrest (a guy who played his football at Alabama) suddenly forget how to coach and develop D-Linemen to be able to apply the pressure he was known for as a position coach? Or did Smith become more conservative in his game planning after 2014, choosing to play soft and prevent, and that is what had a negative effect on the pressure applied by the D-Line?

I'm not sure that any of us know what transpired or what was said inside the coaching staff this past season, but I find it odd that Segrest built his reputation with pressure D-line fronts and then suddenly switches, unless he was told to do so?
Go Hogs Go!

Wildhog

Quote from: Deep Shoat on July 22, 2017, 09:47:38 pm
I see JOKER's idiotic thread premise brought out all the usual whiners. 

Will you little girls go into hiding after we beat TCU, or will you keep whining until after TAMU?

There has never been such a clear line drawn between those who actually know football and love the Hogs and those who just like the perks of winning without worrying about the cost to get there.

Let me catch you boys at a tail gate and:

Do I ever "go into hiding?"

And we'd have a good time at a tailgate!
1909/1964/1965/1977

presidenthog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 22, 2017, 09:51:07 pm
I'll just pose a question for you gents. It is my understanding that the reason that Segrest was brought here was because he coached his defensive fronts to apply pressure. Except for 2014 (Robb Smith's first year), we saw little of that after Smith's arrival. Did Segrest (a guy who played his football at Alabama) suddenly forget how to coach and develop D-Linemen to be able to apply the pressure he was known for as a position coach? Or did Smith become more conservative in his game planning after 2014, choosing to play soft and prevent, and that is what had a negative effect on the pressure applied by the D-Line?

I'm not sure that any of us know what transpired or what was said inside the coaching staff this past season, but I find it odd that Segrest built his reputation with pressure D-line fronts and then suddenly switches, unless he was told to do so?

Rory was the worst recruiter on staff by far. That is why j wanted him fired. His unit also under performed for their talent.

These are facts. Now why he did whatever he did coaching has no meaning to me. I believe 100% that Robb Smith changed the defense after 2014 because he knew he didn't have the linebackers to play like they did before.

In the end he was fired because the players lost faith in the system, and he had no background with the 3-4.

presidenthog

Also it is obvious Rory was not highly thought of in coaching circles as he could not find another job even though he was fired weeks before they announced our new coaches.

tophawg19

none of us are really happy right now but most can see the improvements being made and have the sense to know we play in the toughest conference in all of football . Games at this level turn on 1 or 2 plays and the officials have a lot to do with those turns . Mizzou was just a blown game but it happens ask Bama about back to back losses to ole miss , or our Florida blow out this year. V-Tech was a good talented team and we gave them too many breaks . I think the changes in defense took care of a lot of our troubles

Hoginsavga

Quote from: AP85 on July 22, 2017, 08:22:24 pm
Nor is it your job to decide if a coach needs to be fired. Two way street. You just happen to be trapped in the 1960s.

And so am I trapped in the 1960s. It was a wonderful time to be a Razorback Fan. So was the 70s' and 80's. Based on one of your previous posts I understand you are only 32 years old so you don't understand the glory years many of us "old timers" experienced. If you did you would never disparage what Frank Broyles, Lou Holtz and Ken Hatfield did as Razorback coaches. Sure it was a different time and era but you have to understand that those coaches were up against pretty salty opponents as well and won their share.

TCU, Rice, Texass, SMU(cheaters) Houston and A&M all had good to great teams during the 60s'. As a matter of fact, three SWC teams were ranked 1,2, and 3 at one point during one season during the sixties. The Hogs were one of those three teams. So you cannot simply brush aside the accomplishments achieved by some of our wonderful history because you are too young to understand.

Yes, I understand we are in a different time and era and it's easy to say we just cannot do any better. But don't tell that to coaches like Chris Peterson at Washington. Not to the administration at Michigan, Texas or other schools that will not accept mediocrity. Keep in mind that that from 1959 through the eighties we were not too far behind those schools in regard to football recognition.

So be critical if you wish but some of us have very fond memories of what Razorback football meant for three decades and it is very difficult to let go of that history. One thing you will never see from me is to tell a Razorback fan to go root for another team simply because that fan had great memories of what that coach did for the Razorbacks. We may hold different opinions of what should be done but that doesn't make any of us less of a fan.

jkstock04

Quote from: JOKERHOG on July 22, 2017, 06:55:35 pm
I understand your point.  Stanford is another one.  However, you still have to have the right guy to ever get there.  There should be more glimpses of the "it factor" and not the type of regression we saw at the end of year 4.  I just don't see it but but will admit I have never thought much of him as a coach.  It is playing out as I suspected it would on 12/4/12. 
I'm basically in the same boat you are. I can't get pumped up simply on blind faith and integrity like a lot of fans can...I've got to see something to believe it. I've seen very little. Games that impressed me where I saw "it" were Texas Tech 2014...the OT win against Auburn was impressive as well. But overall...meh.

I'm on record since year one of saying Bielemas ceiling at Arkansas was 8 wins...so far I'm right. Many won't believe it, but I would love for him to prove me wrong....I see his vision and what he wants to do, but I don't think he can do that here. We need an across the board NFL quality talented offensive line to do what he wants. Last year the O-line was a disaster despite what the homers will tell you.

As to your OP...in short my opinion is our administration isn't committed to winning like other schools are. It's important to keep that in mind when you write that check to the foundation.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

JOKERHOG

nice to see the last couple posters stating an opinion and addressing the original questions rather than getting personal and slinging mud. 
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

Wildhog

Quote from: JOKERHOG on July 22, 2017, 10:36:25 pm
nice to see the last couple posters stating an opinion and addressing the original questions rather than getting personal and slinging mud. 

There are a few posters that take any criticism of Bielema personally.  It's really weird.
1909/1964/1965/1977

JOKERHOG

Quote from: Wildhog on July 22, 2017, 10:38:23 pm
There are a few posters that take any criticism of Bielema personally.  It's really weird.

That is very strange, I don't see the attraction on any level
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: JOKERHOG on July 22, 2017, 07:17:42 pm
No way, long will be run out of town with him if they try to pull that crap again.  The fans here aren't stupid regardless of the "this is the best we can do" crowd on hogville.

Run out of town by who?

Quit hitting the bottle, or the pipe.
This is my non-signature signature.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Everyone talks about bielemas 10-21  sec record but they dont mention that 17 conference game  losing streak. Take that out of his record and we have a vastly different conversation going on.
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

hawgon

Last year?  The last four.  We are mentally soft, like our coach, and have given up two to theee games a year since he has been here.

And no, Jeff Long is not committed to winning.

LZH

Quote from: factchecker on July 22, 2017, 09:42:06 pm
That got me thinking what are the results of the games when Bielema and Petrino played the same opponent in the same season-

Coach Bielema and Bobby vs. similar opponents -

Bielema vs. Ohio State    W 31-18
Petrino vs. Ohio State    L 26-31

Bielema vs. Louisiana-Lafayette    W 34-14
Petrino vs. Louisiana-Lafayette    L 20-37

Bielema vs. Georgia     L 32-45
Petrino vs. Georgia     L 14-37

Bielema vs. Auburn     W 54-46
Petrino vs. Auburn     L 14-37

Bielema vs. AnM     L 21-28
Petrino vs. AnM     W 27-21

2016:

Bielema vs. LSU    L 10-38
Petrino vs. LSU     L 9-29

Why does this kind of stuff keep coming up? They are coaching two different teams. No relevance whatsoever.

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on July 23, 2017, 06:56:59 am
Everyone talks about bielemas 10-21  sec record but they dont mention that 17 conference game  losing streak. Take that out of his record and we have a vastly different conversation going on.

Hell, if you take out Buffalo's Super Bowl record then that's a different conversation, too.

factchecker

Quote from: LZH on July 23, 2017, 07:19:10 am
Why does this kind of stuff keep coming up? They are coaching two different teams. No relevance whatsoever.

The same reason people keep bringing up Bobby beating AnM.

Two different teams who played two entirely different opponents.  At least the comparison I showed had them going against the same opponent.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Al Boarland

Quote from: AP85 on July 22, 2017, 07:09:34 pm
If we avoid the stupid collapse at the end of the season, we win 9 games at least and none of this Bielema crap would exist.

8 wins is a must.

So, let's say he gets to 8 wins. That's certainly possible. If all he can manage is 8 wins with this roster what does that say about the future?  He has a senior QB and all the top level talent he's ever going to get.  Do you know how well this program will recruit winning 8 games? Bottom of the SEC. For those of you that think he can get it done you should be blowing your horn that this team will win the SEC.

This should be one of those years everyone talks about where the stars have aligned.  The year out of the 4 or 5 mediocre years that the team actually contends.

ricepig

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 23, 2017, 07:49:40 am
So, let's say he gets to 8 wins. That's certainly possible. If all he can manage is 8 wins with this roster what does that say about the future?  He has a senior QB and all the top level talent he's ever going to get.  Do you know how well this program will recruit winning 8 games? Bottom of the SEC. For those of you that think he can get it done you should be blowing your horn that this team will win the SEC.

This should be one of those years everyone talks about where the stars have aligned.  The year out of the 4 or 5 mediocre years that the team actually contends.

What?? I've read post after post from you that we can't compete because of talent, now we can?

southeasthog

Quote from: ricepig on July 23, 2017, 07:55:10 am
What?? I've read post after post from you that we can't compete because of talent, now we can?
That is what happens when type out of your behind non-stop. You forget what your original claims were.

Al Boarland

Quote from: ricepig on July 23, 2017, 07:55:10 am

You are right about my position. So, this is a high performing year considering what we have behind center, right?

Al Boarland

Quote from: southeasthog on July 23, 2017, 08:10:11 am
That is what happens when type out of your behind non-stop. You forget what your original claims were.

I maintain a realistic view. My post points out the flaw in the line of thinking of some posters.

BigE_23

Quote from: Mike_e on July 22, 2017, 06:30:20 pm
So, let me get this straight; you want to fire the current coach and hire a new one, right?

There goes another 4 or 5 years to see if he can get what you (we all) want done.  Two or three just to get his players installed and likely not winning while he's doing it.  This added to at least one more year of CBB probably two.

So at least 4 and maybe 7 more years (if the new guy does work out) until we're up and running with a new coach.  Add another 4 or 5 if we have to get a second after him.

How long do you want to wait?

Right now we are a stable program making general improvement and stability is key in getting over the hump if you aren't one of the top 5 or 7 teams in the land.

We are going to play this hand until it's time to call.  If at that time we see we need to raise then we will likely do so.  From a much stronger base than what we had after motorgate.

This is probably the dumbest logic I've encountered on this topic, but you're not the only one who's used it. So, I think this pretty much sums up the OP's question - our fan base and administration don't want to win as bad as those other schools you mentioned, and we're more apt to accept mediocrity, therefore we don't win and we stay mediocre.

Did Texas say, "well, we can't go hire a different coach because Charlie already has three recruiting classes..."?

Did Michigan say, "well, you know, Ole' Brady is a good guy and we don't want to have to wait a few years for the next coach to get his players in here, so we'll see what happens."?

NO.

But therein lies the difference between winning and losing. Winners think like winners and don't accept mediocrity. They don't hand out contract extensions and multi-million dollar buyouts after a 7-win season. Mediocre programs celebrate and reward mediocrity; and the fans of mediocre programs make mediocre observations on why we have to accept and embrace mediocrity.

oldhawg

Some people can't get over last year....

Kinda like being sprayed by a skunk.  It takes a while to get rid of the stink.

LZH

Quote from: factchecker on July 23, 2017, 07:26:33 am

Two different teams who played two entirely different opponents.  At least the comparison I showed had them going against the same opponent.

Fair enough.  But to me, it's like saying BP and BB never beat Alabama but Nutt beat #1 Florida while coaching Ole Miss.

ricepig

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 23, 2017, 08:26:51 am
You are right about my position. So, this is a high performing year considering what we have behind center, right?
Good QB play is usually conducive to a good record, but who's to say we don't have it in 2018, 2019, etc.? I'm pretty sure teams have have good records with first year starters.

Al Boarland

Quote from: ricepig on July 23, 2017, 08:47:43 am
Good QB play is usually conducive to a good record, but who's to say we don't have it in 2018, 2019, etc.? I'm pretty sure teams have have good records with first year starters.

The theory is developmental players peaking their senior year all at the same time. That's is what has been laid out in this board more times than I count. There will holes in '18 and '19 just like every year when you don't recruit well.

ricepig

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 23, 2017, 09:20:14 am
The theory is developmental players peaking their senior year all at the same time. That's is what has been laid out in this board more times than I count. There will holes in '18 and '19 just like every year when you don't recruit well.

Are our QB's all development guys?

Hoginsavga

Quote from: factchecker on July 23, 2017, 07:26:33 am

But you do understand that CBP was coaching Western Kentucky (2013) and Louisville (2014-2016) while CBB was coaching AR during that same time, don't you? Are you saying those teams have the same quality of players and the results of the games are due strictly to coaching?