Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NCAA Levels Lack of Institutional Control Charge on Miami

Started by NaturalStateReb, February 20, 2013, 10:44:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

NaturalStateReb

Despite the recent upheaval at NCAA headquarters, it looks like the Miami case is moving ahead:

http://m.espn.go.com/wireless/story?storyId=8964435&wjb

Looks like Frank Haith is going to escape with his hide mostly intact.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

NaturalStateReb

"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Hornkiller

Here you go in a nutt shell

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/cover/featured/9487/index.htm

This has got to hurt a program looking for cover from another conference. If you're the Big XII do you take a team facing bowl probabtion and being banned from television?

dynastyhog

Life is too short to spend your precious time trying to convince a person who wants to live in gloom and doom otherwise. Give lifting that person your best shot, but don't hang around long enough for his or her bad attitude to pull you down. Instead surround yourself with optimistic people. - Zig Ziglar.

younghog

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on February 20, 2013, 11:05:55 am
Agreed--that 4 point font is pretty hard to take.

YEAH.. its the MOBILE version..

interesting read btw
GO HOGS

younghog

GO HOGS

booogaga

Does anyone have a guess what what possible sanctions they receive? I would love to see the U go down in flames.
GO HOGS!

Hoggish1

Quote from: booogaga on February 20, 2013, 11:32:34 am
Does anyone have a guess what what possible sanctions they receive? I would love to see the U go down in flames.

Me too, but how do you penalize a program that is irrelevant in their own back yard.  They are lucky to get 21K at their games, now. 

They can go lower but they are just about at the bottom now.

cmpledger

Kind of pathetic people want to see a school "go down in flames." Do people really want to see the world burn that bad?

dynastyhog

Quote from: cmpledger on February 20, 2013, 11:48:39 am
Kind of pathetic people want to see a school "go down in flames." Do people really want to see the world burn that bad?

I don't want to see a school go down for hundred dollar hand shakes but the U is as crooked as they come, and has been for decades.  Let em' burn!
Life is too short to spend your precious time trying to convince a person who wants to live in gloom and doom otherwise. Give lifting that person your best shot, but don't hang around long enough for his or her bad attitude to pull you down. Instead surround yourself with optimistic people. - Zig Ziglar.

Pigsknuckles

"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

oldfart

i recall a time in the mid 60s when i was in grad school in gainesville that the miami program was so dismal that the university itself was considering closing down the program...

dynastyhog

Probably putting the cart before the horse here but if/when they get a smack down and let the current kids transfer w/o penalty, can our program benefit with the Florida connections we're gaining? 

Bkhardicars

I think dynasty hog is on to something.I bet we won't benefit from any transfers, but with the pipe line we laid there this year this misfortune for the U can do nothing but help us in the next couple of years.just getting 3-5 four star guys a year from there would be huge.don't think that's too much of a reach considering how well we did in such a short time this year.

booogaga

Find it what you will. I don't give a flying crap stick what your opinion is of me. lol

BURN MIAMI BURN!
GO HOGS!

oldfart

scruf

There's nothing pathetic about holding an institution accountable for its actions but there's everything pathetic about letting these kind of actions go unchecked.

songofthesword

considering we have randy shannon plus 2 of BB's best players at Wisconsin were transfers i'd bet we would get a couple.

bennyl08

Miami definitely needs some punishment but death penalty should not be on the table. NCAA is looking to make an example of a school that won't cost them money. Miami has been irrelevant for a while now but still has the recognizable name. Problem is, they tried too hard and messed up the investigation themselves.

This is the first time I have ever thought this, but at this rate, I could see the NCAA not existing, or at least be no longer recognizable, in 15-20 years.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Michael D Huff AIA

Quote from: scruf on February 20, 2013, 05:27:29 pm
There's nothing pathetic about holding an institution accountable for its actions but there's everything pathetic about letting these kind of actions go unchecked.

This has been my frustration with the NCAA for years.  If the NCAA does not enforce its own rules, then it's just a name only. 

And yes, if a program does not have "institutional control" and is dirty, they must "burn".  If the NCAA is serious about enforcement, then they need to go after the "money dirty" programs with the same ferocity that they went after Penn State with.  PSU got the sledgehammer for running a different kind of dirty program.  What does Miami deserve for being "money dirty" for 20 years?  The "death penalty" will never be used again, but if they did blow the dust off that thing and use it again, I think that might get the member school's attention.  (However, the NCAA needs to clean itself up before they can do this.  Another post for another time.)

OldCoot

This was more scathing of NCAA President Mark Emmert than anyone.  And they are record as saying his butt needs to be fired and now.

rocknrollcoastie

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 20, 2013, 06:29:14 pm
This is the first time I have ever thought this, but at this rate, I could see the NCAA not existing, or at least be no longer recognizable, in 15-20 years.

With this thing at Miami and what's going on between them, Penn St. and Pennsylvania I don't see it even being around that long maybe 5-7 years NCAA will be R.I.P.
Hard Rock Nights is on the air in 6 continents, 30 countries, over 100 stations and aired over 150 times a week or you can listen anytime anywhere on mixcloud
http://old.mixcloud.com/hardrocknights/

Hard Rock Nights finding tomorrow's classic rock today...it's what we do

Inhogswetrust

I guess you've never heard the term "figure of speech". He doesn't want them to LITERALLY burn. Just receive severe punishment for their crimes if guilty. It's obvious that he doesn't like Miami. Few people outside of Coral Gables does! Relax man it's sports, not life and death.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

mhuff

Quote from: Michael D Huff AIA on February 21, 2013, 08:38:24 am
This has been my frustration with the NCAA for years.  If the NCAA does not enforce its own rules, then it's just a name only. 

And yes, if a program does not have "institutional control" and is dirty, they must "burn".  If the NCAA is serious about enforcement, then they need to go after the "money dirty" programs with the same ferocity that they went after Penn State with.  PSU got the sledgehammer for running a different kind of dirty program.  What does Miami deserve for being "money dirty" for 20 years?  The "death penalty" will never be used again, but if they did blow the dust off that thing and use it again, I think that might get the member school's attention.  (However, the NCAA needs to clean itself up before they can do this.  Another post for another time.)

It would not hurt my feelings to see the superconferences completed and the NCAA discarded for an organization that would hand out true punishments. As it is now no one wants to do anything substantial to the cash cows. Therefore, they continue to cheat and laugh about it........... A punisnment to be a punishment has to be a punishment. Kick them out of the conference or do something to affect their pocketbooks. Oh, also make it mandatory that their coaches have to be fired. Make it three strikes and you're out ,and the former coaches can spend the weekends making book or something appropriate to their character.

MC_Hog

It only took the NCAA 40 years to find Miami has lack of institutional control. Everyone else has know this since the 70's.