Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Georgia hiring Tom Crean

Started by checkraiser88, March 15, 2018, 08:34:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlhogfan1

Great news.  Was hoping this would happen.  Read the SI story on him going around to different organizations this past year to learn. May make SEC basketball better which will keep helping us.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hawgball40

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 15, 2018, 08:37:56 pm
Great news.  Was hoping this would happen.  Read the SI story on him going around to different organizations this past year to learn. May make SEC basketball better which will keep helping us.
You think he'll fare any better here than he did in the B10? IIRC, he pulled in alot of talent there, just couldn't get it done.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hawgball40 on March 15, 2018, 08:47:37 pm
You think he'll fare any better here than he did in the B10? IIRC, he pulled in alot of talent there, just couldn't get it done.

He barely had enough players to field a team his first season at IU. I don't know if he will elevate Uga or not.  We know the state is loaded with talent.  But Uga really doesn't care and this is ACC basketball country.  I hope he will do well except one or two games a season. Conf respect brings better seeding and easier to make tourney. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

razorpimp

I think it is a very strong hire

hawgball40

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 15, 2018, 08:56:56 pm
He barely had enough players to field a team his first season at IU. I don't know if he will elevate Uga or not.  We know the state is loaded with talent.  But Uga really doesn't care and this is ACC basketball country.  I hope he will do well except one or two games a season. Conf respect brings better seeding and easier to make tourney.
If UGA didn't care about basketball, then why did they fire their most successful coach in history?

ChicoHog

He did a great job at Marquette, not so great at IU.  I used to think he was pretty good but I now think he is just mediocre.   He really under achieved at IU which is a basketball blue blood.  They are not the program they were under Knight but they should be a heck of a lot better than they have been the last 10 years.  I bet Archie Miller gets it going there in a couple years.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ChicoHog on March 15, 2018, 09:15:40 pm
He did a great job at Marquette, not so great at IU.  I used to think he was pretty good but I now think he is just mediocre.   He really under achieved at IU which is a basketball blue blood.  They are not the program they were under Knight but they should be a heck of a lot better than they have been the last 10 years.  I bet Archie Miller gets it going there in a couple years.

Having Wade helped his success at Marquette. Buzz was better there IMO except he never had a player like Wade to get him to the F4.  Sampson decimated IU.  So I think Crean still has something to prove.  Just not sure if Uga is where to do it. 

Kevin

league just keeps getting tougher
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Atlhogfan1

When Matta and Stool at Ga St said they weren't interested, Uga could have been down to Pelphrey level soon. 

elksnort

He's one of the few gentleman that has more forehead than I have

greasy_corner

He kisses the ass of a harbaugh, just like most of the national media.

rzrbk4life

I think its a good hire for UGA
Let's call those hogs!!!!

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: greasy_corner on March 15, 2018, 09:41:34 pm
He kisses the ass of a harbaugh, just like most of the national media.

Ha! Considering his wife is/was a Harbaugh, he probably does.  ;)

"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Quote from: hawgball40 on March 15, 2018, 09:15:21 pm
If UGA didn't care about basketball, then why did they fire their most successful coach in history?
Google Hugh Durham.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Karma on March 16, 2018, 06:28:35 am
Google Hugh Durham.

After  making the Final Four in 1983, Durham only won 1 NCAA Tournament over the next 12 seasons. FWIW.

But Durham is the winningest coach at 3 different schools. Maybe the only coach in the NCAA to do that.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Adam Stokes

He only had one tournament win his last 5 years at Marquette, and couldn't win consistently at Indiana which is a Top 10 program. Left them in such bad shape they lost to Indiana State in non-con play this year. I'm not too worried, but he can't be any worse than Fox.

RacinRazorback

I think a nice solid hire for GA!

Atlhogfan1

It's going to come down whether or not he can get Ga high school players to UGa.  Collin Sexton is from Marietta.  Reggie Perry in the upcoming class. 

Some retreads have helped SEC programs.  Barnes, Pearl and Howland have all made their programs better.  (I know: cheating).

Atlhogfan1

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/ex-indiana-coach-tom-crean-reaches-deal-to-take-over-georgia-basketball/

"Sources told CBS Sports that a search firm working on behalf of Georgia initially inquired about Xavier's Chris Mack and Texas' Shaka Smart, both of whom respectfully declined."  UGA shot high. 

hogwood

Good hire for UGA and the SEC. Tom Crean is very well respected. No doubt in my mind he will make UGA top 25 quality more often than not. Now will he make them consistently in the top 4 of the SEC? I don't think so, but with hires like this the SEC will get more respect and if Crean's product is competitive they will be among the 6-8 teams the SEC gets into the tourney.

jackflash

Busta_Nutt

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 15, 2018, 08:37:56 pm

This is just ludicrous. How in the hell does this help us?

sickboy

husker71

not sure he is an improvement over Fox but Fox had been there to long without a couple of really big seasons close together   

Paul

Quote from: husker71 on March 16, 2018, 02:26:46 pm
not sure he is an improvement over Fox but Fox had been there to long without a couple of really big seasons close together   
I think he can coach circles around Fox who I felt was the weakest coach in the SEC after LSU fires Jones