Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Florida goes down again!

Started by Fan701, December 16, 2017, 05:47:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Fan701

Surprising to me.  Florida loses to Clemson.  KeVaughn Allen is killing them. 2-8 for threes in this game, shooting about 29% for threes for the year, missed two in the last minute.

Hoggish1

hogfanny

The Hogfather

Quote from: Fan701 on December 16, 2017, 05:47:18 pm
Surprising to me.  Florida loses to Clemson.  KeVaughn Allen is killing them. 2-8 for threes in this game, shooting about 29% for threes for the year, missed two in the last minute.

Said it from day 1.  Allen is a high volume, low % shooter that we were better off without.  I had a lot of detractors originally and even last year, but most are actually starting to come around.  He's a guy who will win you 4 games a year by scoring 30+, but most of the time he'll score 11 on 12 shots, including 8 contested 3s and won't contribute too much more.  Florida can take all of Arkansas boys like that for all I'm concerned.  I'll take the Portises and Gaffords.

hobhog

Surely they will drop out of polls now....

WorfHog

Quote from: The Hogfather on December 16, 2017, 10:01:34 pm
Said it from day 1.  Allen is a high volume, low % shooter that we were better off without.  I had a lot of detractors originally and even last year, but most are actually starting to come around.  He's a guy who will win you 4 games a year by scoring 30+, but most of the time he'll score 11 on 12 shots, including 8 contested 3s and won't contribute too much more.  Florida can take all of Arkansas boys like that for all I'm concerned.  I'll take the Portises and Gaffords.

We could have used him in 2015-2016, but we're better off now.

rzrbackramsfan

Hawgzinbowlz

Looking forward to Jan. 17 in Gainesville.
Every day that Fla. loses has at least one bright spot.

" GO HOGS "

rude1

Quote from: The Hogfather on December 16, 2017, 10:01:34 pm
KA is NOT a high volume shooter normally and he shot 40% last year from three, that isn't low %. Coming into college he wasn't a guy who was going to put up a lot of shots. You have to remember that his coach encouraged him to put up more shots at Fl., so you can't blame the young man for doing what he was coached to do. IMO what has happened is teams have him scouted now, close out on him and make him have to put it on the floor, still not a strong suit of his. He is a good shooter still though, and I suspect he is going to break out of that slump with some big games, hopefully it doesn't happen against us.

RaisinHog

They probably shoot it about a 70% clip when we play them lol

Cavosea1

I think kevaughn allen is a good player but Florida as a team look overrated

Fan701

Quote from: rude1 on December 17, 2017, 10:02:56 am
KA is NOT a high volume shooter normally and he shot 40% last year from three, that isn't low %. Coming into college he wasn't a guy who was going to put up a lot of shots. You have to remember that his coach encouraged him to put up more shots at Fl., so you can't blame the young man for doing what he was coached to do. IMO what has happened is teams have him scouted now, close out on him and make him have to put it on the floor, still not a strong suit of his. He is a good shooter still though, and I suspect he is going to break out of that slump with some big games, hopefully it doesn't happen against us.
While I agree that KA is probably a better shooter than he's shown so far this year, to say that he's being forced to shoot more is simply untrue.  He is actually shooting slightly fewer shots this year than last (10.3 per game vs. 10.7 per game last year).  So he's shooting a little less and hitting a much lower percentage (hitting only 28.6% of threes vs. 37% last year).  My take away is that his shooting woes have hurt them quite a bit.

BannerMountainMan

"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

The Hogfather

Quote from: rude1 on December 17, 2017, 10:02:56 am

1.  He only shot 37% from 3 last season and only shoots 33% for his career.  He's actually probably a worse shooter than that because his 1st season and this season, he's shooting about 30%.
2.  He shoots 10 times a game on average, but 5 of those are 3s.  Not a great thing for a 30% 3-point shooter.
3.  He doesn't do too much else at a high enough level to positively impact the team in a big way.  He's an ok rebounder, passer, defender, but nothing really sticks out except his propensity to score.  He has to shoot a ton of shots, including tons if 3s, to score as much as he does, which leads to a lot of empty possessions for his teams.
4.  He's a net negative as a player and I think we are better off without him.  He's a lot like Beard, except he shoots more and assists less.  In fact, their stats are very similar.

Fan701

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on December 17, 2017, 10:30:46 am
FIRE MIKE WHITE
I haven't been to a Florida fan site, but, if their fans are anything like our Hogvillians, you know they're calling for his head.

Fan701

Quote from: The Hogfather on December 17, 2017, 10:48:48 am
1.  He only shot 37% from 3 last season and only shoots 33% for his career.  He's actually probably a worse shooter than that because his 1st season and this season, he's shooting about 30%.
2.  He shoots 10 times a game on average, but 5 of those are 3s.  Not a great thing for a 30% 3-point shooter.
3.  He doesn't do too much else at a high enough level to positively impact the team in a big way.  He's an ok rebounder, passer, defender, but nothing really sticks out except his propensity to score.  He has to shoot a ton of shots, including tons if 3s, to score as mich as he does.
4.  He's a net negative as a player and I think we are better off without him.  He's a lot like Beard, except he shoots more and assists less.  In fact, their stats are very similar.
Remember how much wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth there was about losing out on KA and Jimmy Whitt?  Instead we ended up with Macon and Barford.  Funny how things work out sometimes.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Fan701 on December 17, 2017, 10:52:13 am
Remember how much wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth there was about losing out on KA and Jimmy Whitt?  Instead we ended up with Macon and Barford.  Funny how things work out sometimes.

I do wish we had Whitt right now.  He is a much better player than Allen.

Fan701

Quote from: The Hogfather on December 17, 2017, 10:53:37 am
I do wish we had Whitt right now.  He is a much better player than Allen.
Whitt's averaging 10.7 points a game for a good SMU team, playing a little over 30 minutes a game.  He would not be getting those kind of minutes at Arkansas.  Solid player, but give me Macon and Barford any day.

ShadowHawg

Florida has played consistently bad defense this entire season. They are a dangerous team because they can still beat anyone while also being susceptible to losing to anyone. White really is doing a poor job with the talent he has this season.

Fan701

Quote from: ShadowHawg on December 17, 2017, 11:06:31 am
Florida has played consistently bad defense this entire season. They are a dangerous team because they can still beat anyone while also being susceptible to losing to anyone. White really is doing a poor job with the talent he has this season.
They'll get Egbunu back soon.  Assuming he'll be 100%, that's got to help.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Fan701 on December 17, 2017, 11:03:02 am
Whitt's averaging 10.7 points a game for a good SMU team, playing a little over 30 minutes a game.  He would not be getting those kind of minutes at Arkansas.  Solid player, but give me Macon and Barford any day.

What if he was here to take Beard's minutes?  I love Beard, but Whitt is much better.  Whitt is shooting 56% and averages 5 rebounds/5 assists/1.5 steals per game.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Fan701 on December 17, 2017, 11:08:43 am
They'll get Egbunu back soon.  Assuming he'll be 100%, that's got to help.

Egbunu is a gamechanger. 

Fan701

Quote from: The Hogfather on December 17, 2017, 11:22:48 am
What if he was here to take Beard's minutes?  I love Beard, but Whitt is much better.  Whitt is shooting 56% and averages 5 rebounds/5 assists/1.5 steals per game.
I'm not sure about that "much better."  They're different type players.  Whitt, as you recall, doesn't have much of an outside shot.  He's a slasher to the basket.  I wonder if he still has that ungainly looking shot or has some coach helped him fix it?  Whitt isn't even hitting 60% of his free throws.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Fan701 on December 17, 2017, 11:42:51 am
I'm not sure about that "much better."  They're different type players.  Whitt, as you recall, doesn't have much of an outside shot.  He's a slasher to the basket.  I wonder if he still has that ungainly looking shot or has some coach helped him fix it?  Whitt isn't even hitting 60% of his free throws.

He is much better.  Beard doesn't have much of an outside shot, either, and he still shoots quite a few 3s.  Whitt knows he can't shoot 3s great, so he doesn't shoot them at all (hasn't shot one all year).  He did shoot 38% in his one year at Arkansas, although he didn't shoot many at all (6-16).  Whitt is basically better in every possible category.  Beard isn't bad or anything.  I'd just rather have a guy like Whitt getting most of his minutes.  However, it doesn't matter because Whitt decided to leave.

Fan701

Quote from: The Hogfather on December 17, 2017, 12:40:17 pm
He is much better.  Beard doesn't have much of an outside shot, either, and he still shoots quite a few 3s.  Whitt knows he can't shoot 3s great, so he doesn't shoot them at all (hasn't shot one all year).  He did shoot 38% in his one year at Arkansas, although he didn't shoot many at all (6-16).  Whitt is basically better in every possible category.  Beard isn't bad or anything.  I'd just rather have a guy like Whitt getting most of his minutes.  However, it doesn't matter because Whitt decided to leave.
Ok, maybe.  But my point really was meant to be that if Babb and then Whitt hadn't transferred, we wouldn't have gone JUCO to replace the holes in the line-up, so we wouldn't have gotten Macon and Barford.  Whitt and Babb are good players but, in the end, we upgraded with Macon and Barford.  Sometimes, with patience, things work out.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: The Hogfather on December 17, 2017, 12:40:17 pm
Beard started his dang Freshman year here. Whitt had a horrible first year here, he can't shoot worth a crap and all he can do is drive, Beard does everything lol. And why would we want another Whitt on this team. We need a PG which Beard is.
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

The Hogfather

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on December 17, 2017, 01:03:44 pm
Beard started his dang Freshman year here. Whitt had a horrible first year here, he can't shoot worth a crap and all he can do is drive, Beard does everything lol. And why would we want another Whitt on this team. We need a PG which Beard is.

They both play about 30 minutes a game.  Here's how they compare:

Points per game:
Beard 11.6 on 10 shots a game (39.8%)
Whitt 10.7 on 8 shots a game (56%)

Other stats:
Beard 3.4 assists, 2.7 rebounds, 1 steal
Whitt 5 assists, 5 rebounds, 1.5 steals

More empty possessions for Beard and the Hogs because he shoots more and misses more than Whitt, but points are basically even.  Whitt leads in all other categories, including assists.

Additionally, not sure why you have the perception that Whitt struggled as a freshman and Beard was more effective:

Freshman year:

Whitt 17.2 mins, 6.1 ppg, 38.7% fgs, 37.5% 3s, 1.7 rebs, 1.0 assists

Beard 18.9 mins, 5.7 ppg, 38.4% fgs, 35.2% 3s, 1.9 rebs, 1.5 assists