Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Are we going after another Big?

Started by checkraiser88, March 18, 2018, 07:24:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

checkraiser88

What's our strategy in the paint next year if Gafford leaves?

jst01

Please, the strategy is to run Cleveland hill til everyone is 8% body fat and then full court press.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: checkraiser88 on March 18, 2018, 07:24:13 pm

Right now, the strategy is for Gafford to return. It's not like your going to find a quality big this late in recruiting.

GuvHog

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 18, 2018, 07:29:23 pm
Right now, the strategy is for Gafford to return. It's not like your going to find a quality big this late in recruiting.

Oh there's a 4 star true big man available and if Mike would recruit him hard, he'd get him. Unfortunately some on here ignorantly think he wouldn't be a "Good Fit" for Mike's program.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

HogBreath

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 18, 2018, 07:29:23 pm
Did Trey Thompson's senior year slip up on Coach Mike and his able staff? 

Maybe he can petition for a fifth year since he only played like five minutes his freshmen season.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Danny J

Quote from: HogBreath on March 18, 2018, 07:36:27 pm

Maybe he can petition for a fifth year since he only played like five minutes his freshmen season.
Yep...even if Gafford returns we still need a big off the bench.

HogBreath

Quote from: checkraiser88 on March 18, 2018, 07:24:13 pm
Same as this year, have the guards take all the shots.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

rude1

Quote from: GuvHog on March 18, 2018, 07:33:26 pm
Oh there's a 4 star true big man available and if Mike would recruit him hard, he'd get him. Unfortunately some on here ignorantly think he wouldn't be a "Good Fit" for Mike's program.
Say this nonsense enough Guv and it will come true.

GuvHog

Quote from: rude1 on March 18, 2018, 07:42:31 pm
Say this nonsense enough Guv and it will come true.

It IS true. There are some ignorant people in the Basketball Recruiting Forum.

txkhog

Who is the quality big man you speak off?

"True big man"? Where do you make this stuff up?

GuvHog

Quote from: txkhog on March 18, 2018, 07:51:24 pm
Who is the quality big man you speak off?

Connor Vanover. he's a 4 star 7'2" big man and shoots the three pretty well. He played at Finley this year with a Power Forward that has signed with Arkansas and they work very well together. If Gafford stays another year, it would give Vanover time to develop coming off of the bench to spell Gafford.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: jst01 on March 18, 2018, 07:25:36 pm
Please, the strategy is to run Cleveland hill til everyone is 8% body fat and then full court press.

That's horse hockey. Thompson was only about 20lbs over weight.

GuvHog

Quote from: Karma on March 18, 2018, 07:54:57 pm
"True big man"? Where do you make this stuff up?

It isn't made up. He plays the 5 spot at Finley.

hogsanity

Hogs would not have gotten Gafford if he wasn't from in state. You think Mike is going out of state to get a player like that? His "best" out of state recruit was Jimmy Whitt.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

JONAS

Quote from: GuvHog on March 18, 2018, 07:57:48 pm
Connor Vanover. he's a 4 star 7'2" big man and shoots the three pretty well. He played at Finley this year with a Power Forward that has signed with Arkansas and they work very well together. If Gafford stays another year, it would give Vanover time to develop coming off of the bench to spell Gafford.

I don't care how good he is.  If he is 7'2", I would sign him.  You can't teach height.

GuvHog

Quote from: hogsanity on March 18, 2018, 08:01:02 pm
Hogs would not have gotten Gafford if he wasn't from in state. You think Mike is going out of state to get a player like that? His "best" out of state recruit was Jimmy Whitt.

Connor Vanover is from Arkansas and this last season is the only year that he's played out of the state.

azhog10

He played at FINDLAY and he's not a true post. HE's also not a great fit for this system and wouldn't help any of the issues we have currently. He can shoot the ball well however.

azhog10

I'd say Barford and Mosely were both better than Jimmy Whitt. Keyshawn Embry and Jimmy Phillips will be very good out of state players for us.

GuvHog

Quote from: azhog10 on March 18, 2018, 08:04:26 pm
He played at FINDLAY and he's not a true post. HE's also not a great fit for this system and wouldn't help any of the issues we have currently. He can shoot the ball well however.

Yes, he's a good fit for Mike's program, would be good coming off of the bench to spell Gafford (if he comes back), and he is a true post. He played the 5 spot at FINDLAY.

azhog10

Quote from: GuvHog on March 18, 2018, 08:08:04 pm
Yes, he's a good fit for Mike's program, would be good coming off of the bench to spell Gafford (if he comes back), and he is a true post. He played the 5 spot at FINDLAY.
He played inside for a high school team. Yes at Findlay prep and anytime they played another legit team with a big Bol Bol played the post. Connor did not guard the post very often. If you don't believe it I have film of him playing against a couple AZ schools. He was not a post player for them and offensively spent less time inside than Reggie Chaney.

hogsanity

Quote from: azhog10 on March 18, 2018, 08:05:36 pm
I'd say Barford and Mosely were both better than Jimmy Whitt. Keyshawn Embry and Jimmy Phillips will be very good out of state players for us.

Should have clarified, recruit out of hs.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

azhog10

GuvHog

Quote from: azhog10 on March 18, 2018, 08:11:18 pm
He played inside for a high school team. Yes at Findlay prep and anytime they played another legit team with a big Bol Bol played the post. Connor did not guard the post very often. If you don't believe it I have film of him playing against a couple AZ schools. He was not a post player for them and offensively spent less time inside than Reggie Chaney.

I've seen film of Vanover playing. The young man can play the post and his ability to shoot the three would force the other team's big man to come out and cover him leaving the lane wide open for someone like Chaney. He and Chaney worked well on the court together at Findlay.

azhog10

Quote from: GuvHog on March 18, 2018, 08:16:43 pm
I've seen film of Vanover playing. The young man can play the post and his ability to shoot the three would force the other team's big man to come out and cover him leaving the lane wide open for someone like Chaney. He and Chaney worked well on the court together at Findlay.
Vanover can not guard the post at the High Major D1 level. Take out what Mike's system is, which he's a horrible fit for. But he would struggle on any High-Major defensively.

JONAS

txkhog

Just watched film on him. He's rated a 3 by all the services. Long term project if I have ever seen one. 7' 2" and weighs 210. Slow reaction and zero speed. Probably a good kid and if a team is deep enough to redshirt first year, then develope him for a few yrs off the bench he could make a serviceable big man for one year possibly 2.

GuvHog

Quote from: JONAS on March 18, 2018, 08:19:01 pm
Didn't Vanover sign with Memphis?

After Tubby was fired, he asked for his release and they gave it to him. He has reopened his recruiting.

GuvHog

Quote from: azhog10 on March 18, 2018, 08:18:13 pm
Vanover can not guard the post at the High Major D1 level. Take out what Mike's system is, which he's a horrible fit for. But he would struggle on any High-Major defensively.

Totally DISAGREE.

bkjbearcat

Well Mike most likely will be gone after next season so he might be great for the next HC's system.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

JONAS

Quote from: GuvHog on March 18, 2018, 08:25:40 pm
After Tubby was fired, he asked for his release and they gave it to him. He has reopened his recruiting.

Then, we should try to get him.

zenchow

RazorPiggie

ShadowHawg

We have never had a player like Gafford in the history of this program. Never. Not getting someone like that from out of state seems to happen a lot.

Half our incoming class is from out of state.

Pinto

You just don't quit lol. He's def not a 4 star

batmanfan

Quote from: Pinto on March 18, 2018, 11:00:16 pm
You just don't quit lol. He's def not a 4 star

I'm not getting this either. Are we sure they just aren't trying to pull our leg? Lol.
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

elksnort

c-townfan

Dude I don't care if we ran a big ten style offense, Vanover should never get an offer to the hill. Being 7'2" doesn't make you a high d1 talent. And that he is not. Please God no. Stop with that mess.

Großer Kriegschwein

Well it would seem that a lot of the players we have on the roster aren't good fits either.

Given the average loss was by 15 points
This is my non-signature signature.

RacinRazorback

Why not go after him? He is better than anything else we have going for a big man! And he is instate. How often does a 7 footer with range come out of Arkansas?? He is definitely worth a shot! WPS!!

The_Iceman

If we got Vanover, he would be the 4 offensively and Chaney would play the post. Teams will have to put length on Vanover or he will hit that top of the key three all game. Not sure if Mediocre Mike would know how to coach that though.

Pinto

Quote from: RacinRazorback on March 19, 2018, 07:32:22 am
Why not go after him? He is better than anything else we have going for a big man! And he is instate. How often does a 7 footer with range come out of Arkansas?? He is definitely worth a shot! WPS!!

Because it would be a wasted scholarship if it doesn't work out. Wasting scholarships is one of main the reasons why we've been mediocre for a while. If Dan decides to leave, go get a grad transfer, maybe a legit JUCO stud or just save that scholarship for the following season. Stop settling for these long shot players...

nwahogfan1

Quote from: HogBreath on March 18, 2018, 07:36:27 pm

U are correct.  Trey and many freshmen here get screwed because Mike will  not Red shirt a freshman and develop him.  We can only play about 10 players a season functionally so why not Red shirt?

GuvHog

Quote from: c-townfan on March 19, 2018, 12:53:24 am
Dude I don’t care if we ran a big ten style offense, Vanover should never get an offer to the hill. Being 7’2” doesn’t make you a high d1 talent. And that he is not. Please God no. Stop with that mess.

Be serious. Arkansas is in serious need of another big man for next season. There aren't any high caliber 5 star big men left so it's better to take a big man like Vanover and develop him than to go into next season with the tallest man on the team maybe being 6'9" if Gafford opts for the NBA Draft. It's not every day that the Hogs have a shot at a 7'2" big man who shoots the 3 as well as he does. As I stated earlier, players like that don't grow on trees. Mike needs to sign this young man and adapt his offense to take advantage the young man's height and ability to shoot the three.

elksnort

Quote from: GuvHog on March 19, 2018, 08:24:42 am
Be serious. Arkansas is in serious need of another big man for next season. There aren't any high caliber 5 star big men left so it's better to take a big man like Vanover and develop him than to go into next season with the tallest man on the team maybe being 6'9" if Gafford opts for the NBA Draft. It's not every day that the Hogs have a shot at a 7'2" big man who shoots the 3 as well as he does. As I stated earlier, players like that don't grow on trees. Mike needs to sign this young man and adapt his offense to take advantage the young man's height and ability to shoot the three.
I doubt  Mike's going to adapt to anything. They could have us Gafford even better than they did and that didn't happen. If this kid can run the floor, sign him up.

tconey1

Quote from: elksnort on March 19, 2018, 09:00:27 pm
I doubt  Mike's going to adapt to anything. They could have us Gafford even better than they did and that didn't happen. If this kid can run the floor, sign him up.

Kinda reminds me of the 7 ft guy that played at Vandy a few years ago.  I would take him!

pigture perfect

I don't care if all he does is give our bigs a breather and blocks or alters a few shots. Sign him.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

The real Hogules

Quote from: GuvHog on March 19, 2018, 08:24:42 am

I'd rather bite the bullet for one season, than to waste a scholarship on a player that doesn't fit what Anderson "attempts" to do on both ends of the court. No matter what the question is, Connor Vanover is NOT the answer, when it comes to what next years squad will be missing. He's no rim protector and he isn't quick getting from one end of the basketball court to the other. His offensive game was impressive against HS kids, so how would that translate to the SEC? Just no.............................., no.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Hawg Red

Connor Vanover is not only a consensus 3-star recruit but a UNANIMOUS 3-star recruit. In fact, he's ranked in the 300-330 range. Not anywhere close to be a 4-star recruit.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2018/connor-vanover-4345

https://247sports.com/Player/Connor-Vanover-85013

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/211982/connor-vanover

Pinto

Quote from: tconey1 on March 19, 2018, 09:10:51 pm
Kinda reminds me of the 7 ft guy that played at Vandy a few years ago.  I would take him!

He is not as mobile as Kornet