Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SIAP: Your new lb coach appears to be...

Started by /sarcasm on, December 31, 2014, 11:55:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

/sarcasm on

ricepig

LRrazorback

Anyone know anything about coach Buh?   I don't think defense when I think PAC 12 football but he was at whisky where you think defense.  So who knows what we're getting.  Any insight?

Fayettechill14

Buh is a former Nevada DC and was LB coach at Wisconsin in 2012. Bielema tried to bring him along but got Shannon instead. He was DC at Cal in 2013, and they were horrible so he resigned. Of course, they were worse in 2014 so it may not have been his fault.

He has a lot of West recruiting ties. Interesting.

Jek Tono Porkins

I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

(notOM)Rebel123

"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

ricepig

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on December 31, 2014, 12:17:29 pm
I don't put much stock into footballscoop.

I put 0 in it, not saying he isn't the guy, but they are wrong a lot.

bigdaddyhawg

Anybody have any insight into what kind of recruiter this guy is known to be?
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Fayettechill14

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on December 31, 2014, 12:47:09 pm
Anybody have any insight into what kind of recruiter this guy is known to be?

Recruiting ties are out West. He has coached at Nevada, Fresno State, San Diego State, and Cal. Don't know how talented a recruiter he is, but he's earned a lot of promotions, so coaches see potential in him.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on December 31, 2014, 12:48:34 pm
Recruiting ties are out West. He has coached at Nevada, Fresno State, San Diego State, and Cal. Don't know how talented a recruiter he is, but he's earned a lot of promotions, so coaches see potential in him.

Thank you, sir.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Tim Harris

Was also at Stanford for several years.

Pathogen

And Stanford.  He was LB coach there before being promoted to co-DC by Jim Harbaugh.

PigDaddyKane

Based upon the hires last year, I believe Coach B will get us another great coach. 
The only person on Hogville without an inside source for Razorback news!

OLDHOG

maybe he brings the kid from Utah with him, huh?

Pork Twain

Arizona and California have a few recruits to spare, despite commonly held Hogville beliefs, there are recruits in areas outside of Florida.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Fayettechill14

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 31, 2014, 12:59:07 pm
Arizona and California have a few recruits to spare, despite commonly held Hogville beliefs, there are recruits in areas outside of Florida.

Almost every team on the West Coast plays horrible defense, so we should be able to convince some defensive recruits to come out here. Teams like Washington and UCLA had quick turnarounds by putting a focus on defense.

jackflash

I am sorry but we can do better than this guy. I think this is a bad hire

ricepig

Quote from: jackflash on December 31, 2014, 01:38:09 pm

What did you say about Robb Smith last year? I know I scratched my head for a few days. I leave it up to the guy that it matters the most to.

bigdaddyhawg

This was the common opinion here on Hogville with CBB's last defensive hires.

RunHogruN

How much is Ray Lewis getting paid being an NFL analyst. We should get him :) Instant respect.
It's only a game...R E L A X     B)

LRrazorback

Thanks everyone.

I like hearing Jim Harbough promoted him. Must've done something right

Hoggish1

Quote from: LRrazorback on December 31, 2014, 01:47:23 pm
Thanks everyone.

I like hearing Jim Harbough promoted him. Must've done something right

Yeah, that was the one that caught my eye. 

Bkhardicars

Assistant coaches matter, but the key to our success is BB..He will pick the person that will fit in with him..We will be fine..Now, let's get Smith a HUGE raise!

RunHogruN

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on December 31, 2014, 01:41:03 pm
This was the common opinion here on Hogville with CBB's last defensive hires.

Kidding aside. I do agree that CBB has the know it all to hire a coach that he thinks will provide our program with the best opportunity to develope great LBs and recruit well as well. If this guy is it then so be it.
It's only a game...R E L A X     B)

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Pathogen

Quote from: Hoggish1 on December 31, 2014, 01:50:27 pm
Yeah, that was the one that caught my eye.

Posted this in another thread (now locked), but the guy actually has a pretty good resume.  It, like in the business world, is not uncommon for someone to get promoted to the point they are in over their heads.  Muschamp is a great DC, poor head coach.  Same with Randy Shannon who was 'demoted' from HC to LB coach.  The reason Buh got promoted to co-DC (Stanford) then DC (Cal) to start with was because he was an excellent LB coach.  He was an LB coach for Harbaugh, and did so well at THAT POSITION that Harbaugh promoted him to co-DC.  He then took over at the dumpster fire known as the Cal defense, didn't do well after one year, and got demoted.  This year, Cal's defense is as bad as it was a year earlier under Buh, so the problem there obviously wasn't with Buh.  Even if it was, he was obviously a very good LB coach.

Buh was Bielema's #1 choice for LB coach when he came here, but he couldn't get him because he took the DC job at Cal.  He ended up hiring RS instead.  To put it simply, Bielema wanted him, and Harbaugh promoted him.  That's all the endorsement I need.

snoblind

Here's to the hope that these threads will be as amusing next year when someone bumps them up in vents and rumors as the ones from last year's hires are.  Some folks never learn.

downsouthhawg72

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on December 31, 2014, 12:16:06 pm
Buh is a former Nevada DC and was LB coach at Wisconsin in 2012. Bielema tried to bring him along but got Shannon instead. He was DC at Cal in 2013, and they were horrible so he resigned. Of course, they were worse in 2014 so it may not have been his fault.

He has a lot of West recruiting ties. Interesting.

I though CBB wanted Buh 1st but he took the DC Job then that's when Shannon came along. I might be wrong though.
DownSouthHawg

HogFanatic

Pretty good resume, really.
At the end of the day, I trust Bielema to make the correct hire. He has done wonders with the defense over the course of two years. I see no reason to question his judgment on that side of the ball so far.

OLDHOG

Quote from: Pathogen on December 31, 2014, 02:21:57 pm
Posted this in another thread (now locked), but the guy actually has a pretty good resume.  It, like in the business world, is not uncommon for someone to get promoted to the point they are in over their heads.  Muschamp is a great DC, poor head coach.  Same with Randy Shannon who was 'demoted' from HC to LB coach.  The reason Buh got promoted to co-DC (Stanford) then DC (Cal) to start with was because he was an excellent LB coach.  He was an LB coach for Harbaugh, and did so well at THAT POSITION that Harbaugh promoted him to co-DC.  He then took over at the dumpster fire known as the Cal defense, didn't do well after one year, and got demoted.  This year, Cal's defense is as bad as it was a year earlier under Buh, so the problem there obviously wasn't with Buh.  Even if it was, he was obviously a very good LB coach.

Buh was Bielema's #1 choice for LB coach when he came here, but he couldn't get him because he took the DC job at Cal.  He ended up hiring RS instead.  To put it simply, Bielema wanted him, and Harbaugh promoted him.  That's all the endorsement I need.
YEP.

wholehog92

Good synopsis.  I'm not convinced he's the guy yet though.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

Fayettechill14

You'd think after the Robb Smith hire everyone would understand that, in general, common fans suck at coach evaluations, but nope.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on December 31, 2014, 03:15:54 pm
You'd think after the Robb Smith hire everyone would understand that, in general, common fans suck at coach evaluations, but nope.
You would think
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

clutch

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on December 31, 2014, 03:15:54 pm

Common fans usually suck even worse at position coach evaluations.

devildoghawg

If you think this is a bad hire your opinion is wrong and you should feel bad.  West coast ties (we don't have that currently), a seasoned and proven LB coach, and a guy that isn't going to be gunning for Smiths job nor looking to promote out to another DC job after his abismal performance in CAL.  He's a knockout hire.
Quote from: kingofdequeen on July 25, 2013, 06:21:48 pm
If you've got a dumba** son, do you love him any less?  no.  you just overlook his faults b/c you love him.  At least that's what my dad does.

JIHawg

Couldn't say it better.

lefty08

Quote from: clutch on December 31, 2014, 04:42:06 pm
Common fans usually suck even worse at position coach evaluations.

And player evaluations, and route trees, and throwing mechanics, and........
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

3YardsAndACloudofPork

Quote from: Pathogen on December 31, 2014, 12:55:38 pm
And Stanford.  He was LB coach there before being promoted to co-DC by Jim Harbaugh.

That's all I needed to know to like the guy

HogFanatic

Buncha amateurs acting like they know ish in this thread.

ricepig

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on December 31, 2014, 06:59:42 pm
Buncha amateurs acting like they know ish in this thread.

Can't all be a pro like you.    8)

micali

Quote from: wholehog92 on December 31, 2014, 03:14:05 pm
Good synopsis.  I'm not convinced he's the guy yet though.
Ya, but who was convinced that CRS was the best choice at that time either.

elksnort

HogFanatic

Quote from: ricepig on December 31, 2014, 07:02:45 pm
Can't all be a pro like you.    8)
[/quote

Consulting fees = 1,000 dollars a post.

Wikipedia is a goldmine.  ;D

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on December 31, 2014, 01:40:37 pm
What did you say about Robb Smith last year?

I was one of 'em who threw a fit about such a 'generic' hire..."who the hell is Robb Smith?".

Guess I'll have to go with BB's eye for talent on this one.

RazorBassin

Thanks for the breakdown!

slim72315

I would like tommy thigpen to replace Shannon. He was born in arkansas and has recruited well for Tennessee

HogFanatic

Quote from: slim72315 on December 31, 2014, 07:27:04 pm
I would like tommy thigpen to replace Shannon. He was born in arkansas and has recruited well for Tennessee

Bielema is doing pretty well in-state.

choppedporkextrasauce

slim72315

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on December 31, 2014, 07:28:23 pm
Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on December 31, 2014, 07:28:23 pm
Wasn't wanting thigpen for instate recruiting. He is primary on 7 4 star commits this year alone for Tennessee .

tophawg19

interesting to know whether Buh has ties to Rob Smith . i really expected this hire to come from him more than CBB . You know he has some great ties as well , so if BUH is our guy then you know it was weighed heavily with a lot of other prospects
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins