Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

May 04, 2024, 05:33:23 pm

Petrino vs Knight??

Started by #22bua-nea, February 06, 2008, 12:00:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

#22bua-nea

So bobby knight leaves his college basketball kids..and petrino leaves a nfl team with grown men...Why does espn bash Petrino so hard, and praise knight for leaving way early ? What do you think?..

Flying Razorback

Because the media is happy they don't have to try and interview him anymore or dodge anything during press conferences.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

cthog99

jim rome bashed him, at least that's something

#22bua-nea

True..i know everybody has there minds on the signing day tomorrow..but when i heard about knight..it just hit me ...Petrino left grown men. who gets paid millions. Coaching changes happens all the time. Even coaches leaving early. But they tore patrino a new one for the only fact of leaving early. but thats what Knight did, to kids he went to their houses and told their parents, that they should go to his school. And knight signed a extension thro 2010- 2011 ???

HoosierDaddy

I'm glad we have BP, and I'm not particularly a fan of Knight.  And I don't necessarily agree with either's departure.  But the two situations aren't the same, different circumstances.
"Objective Thinking Lives Here"

CurlyTail

It's a different situation. Knight's son had already been named as his successor at TT a couple years ago.

#22bua-nea

O ...i am really happy we got BP ..they just awakened a sleeping giant here in Ark. I just wanna hear some different views on the situation.

gohogsgo006

Bobby Knight has "earned his stripes"... he gets a freebie.

Plus, ESPN is glad they never have to talk to the guy again
Hogville- Where realism somehow equals pessimism

HoosierDaddy

Quote from: #22bua-nea on February 06, 2008, 01:09:30 am
I just wanna hear some different views on the situation.

Ok, just a different view.

Petrino walked out during a miserable season, in which the franchise was on a downhill slide on many levels.  It wasn't as though he has been coaching for 42 years and was burned out.  He didnt retire, but ran for another job, one in which he had never stepped foot on campus.

He left in the middle of the night, and didnt even address his players except for a note.  As much as we are happy to have him here, that is pretty ChickenS.  If HN had done anything remotely similar, he wouldve been burned at the stake by Ark fans, no question.

I understand the timing and the opportunity of BPs situation, but if his choice had been anyone other than the UA, I think that most here would have the same opinion as the nat'l media.

2 pennies, nothing more.
"Objective Thinking Lives Here"

OklaU

Well it isn't because ESPN has something against hogs.

Knight and Petrino are no comparison when you look at their history of staying in places.
"Just because you had the last word, doesn't make it anymore true."

Milton

Petrino leaving in the middle of the season was actually good for the Falcons and he shouldn't have been bashed for it.
1. The season was over there was nothing we could accomplish even if we won out the season.
2. This allowed the Falcons to start earlier looking for a new coach instead of waiting until after the season to look for one if Petrino had quit.
3. This allowed the Hogs to get a coach in to start recruiting in earlier.
Quote from: Douglas on December 04, 2012, 06:23:54 pm
We've had it with 1 hit wonders coming in, making posts reeking of wanton jackwagonry and then not doing anything about it.

IndyHog76

I don't know that I understand why people think the media hates Bobby Knight.  They should love all of the news stories that he has provided over the years.

RedSatinHog

Quote from: cthog99 on February 06, 2008, 12:38:59 am
jim rome bashed him, at least that's something

Rome is a punk who never had anything positive to say about Knight in the first place.  His target audience is the mamby pamby 20-25 y/o crowd, and that group has no use for a discliplinarian.

Also, the situations are notably different.  Knight did not leave to take another job.  He was burned out after 42 years coaching at the D-1 level, and left because he believed the team and its fan base deserved better than a coach who was there to collect a check.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd