Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

May 08, 2024, 10:48:08 pm

steven hill

Started by #1nutthater, March 17, 2007, 10:53:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

#1nutthater

March 17, 2007, 10:53:28 am Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 11:09:19 am by #1nutthater
Does Hill get ANY coaching at all? I am sick and tired of watching him (hill) wander around at the three point line trying to set screens! Why isn't hill down low yelling for the ball, instead of waiting to try and roll off a defender away from the basket and to get an alley-oop, which is his only offensive move it seems. Why hasn't Heath, in the past three years, gotten it into Hills head that he needs to be playing with his back to the basket? Heath does not seem to be much of a coach imo, and I think that it is time for a change.

razrken

Thats what I was screaming last nite.  You hae all of your big guys roaming around at the three point line and guards down low running the baseline.   This is good philosophy for a trip or two down the floor but not every freakin time.

dfuller81

at least he can spell his first name

#1nutthater

March 17, 2007, 11:04:41 am #3 Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 11:07:03 am by #1nutthater
Quote from: LJHOG on March 17, 2007, 11:01:16 am
Cause he has no low post game and is a turnover in the making everytime he gets the ball.  He gets double teamed and he throws it away.  He only needs to get it via alley oops and rebounds.
Ljh- hills lack of a low post game is EXACTLY what I am talking about. Why hasn't he developed one in the last three years? This is Heaths fault.

cubman

Quote from: LJHOG on March 17, 2007, 11:01:16 am
Cause he has no low post game and is a turnover in the making everytime he gets the ball.  He gets double teamed and he throws it away.  He only needs to get it via alley oops and rebounds.

That's why he was 2 for 3 last night. It's not Hiils fault the coach seems to have zero plays designed to get the post players involved in the game.

dmac_iz_kin

March 17, 2007, 11:06:13 am #5 Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 11:08:07 am by dmac_iz_kin
yea Hill is not a scorer unless he's wide open under the basket. He's too clumsy with the ball. I about had a heart attack a few games back, (vandy maybe?) when he drove it to the goal from the arc
"it was a called play, and I called it. I called alot of good plays today didn't I chuck?!"

Nutts and Bolts

And the stupid lazy pass he made that was stolen... I am thinking that the Jr's on the team would be ready for a coaching change.. As it stands right now, NONE of the juniors would get drafted next year. Maybe Steven will but it will be strictly as a role player on defense. They should hope that a new coach like a B.G. could mold them in a year to develop into draftable players.
A new era has begun in Fayetteville

Tone

Sets the best screen on the team.  The guards are responsible for getting him the ball when he is in position.  They are not the best at this at times.  He is not very good at making his space, getting in good position and making himself a good target.  In fact I would argue, that when he tries to get position in the low post he makes himself smaller.   

deucea729

I'm a big Steven Hill fan.  But last night was the first night that I just sat up and noticed him standing there at around the free throw line during an offensive possession, literally with his hands on his hips and his back to the ball.  No effort.

rzrbckfan426

I played a rousing game of beer pong or two during that thing last night you people call a basketball game

MCPeePants

Quote from: Nutts and Bolts on March 17, 2007, 11:09:43 am
And the stupid lazy pass he made that was stolen... I am thinking that the Jr's on the team would be ready for a coaching change.. As it stands right now, NONE of the juniors would get drafted next year. Maybe Steven will but it will be strictly as a role player on defense. 

The problem with that is that while he's a solid post defender and outstanding shot blocker - he's a terrible rebounder for a 7 footer. How many 7 footers have you heard of who play 25+ minutes a game and only average 3.5 rebounds?

I seriously doubt whether any NBA teams would have room at the end of their bench for a 7 footer with utterly no offensive skills who doesn't rebound no matter how good he is at blocking shots. And, unless he bulked up significantly, he'd simply get pushed around like a rag doll by virtually all NBA 5s - seriously undermining his defensive attributes. 

disGUSted

Quote from: MCPeePants on March 17, 2007, 11:51:53 am
Quote from: Nutts and Bolts on March 17, 2007, 11:09:43 am
And the stupid lazy pass he made that was stolen... I am thinking that the Jr's on the team would be ready for a coaching change.. As it stands right now, NONE of the juniors would get drafted next year. Maybe Steven will but it will be strictly as a role player on defense. 
Shot blockers are rarely good defensive rebounders due to being out of position, but I can't fathom the lack of offensive boards by the entire team.
Offensively, watch teams with good motion offenses and notice most screens set by the bigs are along the baseline, if defender switches, the big is now guarded by a smaller man. Then he seals his man off and calls for the ball in low post. With Hill setting so many pics up high, the only scoring threats come from pic&rolls or alley-oops. Yes, this comes down to coaching.
With a good coach, Stephen's pro stock rises considerably.

Hog_Beatz

March 17, 2007, 01:24:24 pm #12 Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 01:27:34 pm by Hog_Beatz
Quote from: Tone-Loc on March 17, 2007, 11:20:36 am
Sets the best screen on the team.  The guards are responsible for getting him the ball when he is in position.  They are not the best at this at times.  He is not very good at making his space, getting in good position and making himself a good target.  In fact I would argue, that when he tries to get position in the low post he makes himself smaller.  

Nobody on our team sets good screens,  Half the time they are moving when they do it, and they are weak with them.  On occasion they may take someone off the ball, but we don't know what to do when we get around one, and that gives the defense time to react.  The fact that his screens are the best on the team is pathetic.  If they ever make the moving screen a point of emphasis for the officials we'd be screwed under Heath's offense.

Our entire team appears weak and lathargic on offense except for occasions when they are fired up and that is why we don't get the boards, particularly offensive.  These guys think to much, and don't go out and play basketball.  They all have trouble making up there mind with and without the ball, they haven't been coached well enough to react to the game instead they think too much about it.

slopinhogs

has he been to the big mens traing camp?
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

hawgopolis

HE WOULD GET BIG MAN COACHING IF HE WOULD TRANSFER TO UALR.  THE NEW COACH K KNOWS THE LOW POST FUNDAMENTALS AND FREETHROW SHOOTING TO BOOT!!!!!!!!!!
Football! It's what's for Dinner, and Supper, and Breffass!!!

If at first you should fail...... Skydiving is probably not for you!!

Hawgvillain

The thing that drives me crazy about Hill is how he cannot get rid of the ball fast enough when someone passes it to him.  He throws it to the first Razorback he sees - and a team that knows that can easily pick off a few passes a game.

staffhog

It is hard to coach attitude.  He needs a large dose of aggression and about 30 pounds.  He's not going to be what we are looking for.

HogLove

Do you want to know what frustrates me?!  Is a bunch of people who know NOTHING about basketball and NOTHING about Heath's coaching style or what's going on!  You guys have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA!  Yeah, it's frustrating that the COACHES INSTRUCT HIM TO SET SCREENS THE ENTIRE GAME AND TELL HIM NOT TO POST UP!  Do you really think he's that dumb?!  Don't you think he would like to score more?!  Don't you think he would like to touch the ball more than twice a game?!  He averaged over 10 points in high school!  I think he knows what's going on!  He was one of the top 20 recruits in the nation out of high school!  He's been to every big man camp there is...Nike, Michael Jordan, etc.  In fact, THAT'S WHERE THE SCOUTS HAVE TALKED TO HIM AND SAID, I QUOTE, "WE KNOW YOU'LL NEVER GET THE BALL UNDER STAN HEATH".  You guys have no idea what the pro scouts are saying.  So, to all of you couch potato and computer nerds that sit on here and bash these players who are BUSTING THEIR BUTTS and doing all they can...knock it off.  You only wish you had the knowledge of basketball that half of those players do.  Get a life and buy a book titled "Basketball 101". 

Smithian

Ok. Let me think about this.

Stan heath is a millionaire with a good job.

Are you saying he is intentionally not using his talent trying to make a point so that he'll lose his job?

Yeah, Hill might be underused, but if he could make a large difference, then Heath would have used him differently.

We'll know when Gillispie is here.

dmac_iz_kin

Quote from: HogLove on March 17, 2007, 06:33:36 pm
Do you want to know what frustrates me?!  Is a bunch of people who know NOTHING about basketball and NOTHING about Heath's coaching style or what's going on!  You guys have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA!  Yeah, it's frustrating that the COACHES INSTRUCT HIM TO SET SCREENS THE ENTIRE GAME AND TELL HIM NOT TO POST UP!  Do you really think he's that dumb?!  Don't you think he would like to score more?!  Don't you think he would like to touch the ball more than twice a game?!  He averaged over 10 points in high school!  I think he knows what's going on!  He was one of the top 20 recruits in the nation out of high school!  He's been to every big man camp there is...Nike, Michael Jordan, etc.  In fact, THAT'S WHERE THE SCOUTS HAVE TALKED TO HIM AND SAID, I QUOTE, "WE KNOW YOU'LL NEVER GET THE BALL UNDER STAN HEATH".  You guys have no idea what the pro scouts are saying.  So, to all of you couch potato and computer nerds that sit on here and bash these players who are BUSTING THEIR BUTTS and doing all they can...knock it off.  You only wish you had the knowledge of basketball that half of those players do.  Get a life and buy a book titled "Basketball 101". 

I am not bashing Hill, he's probabally my favorite player just due to his defense alone.  But you say "those of you who know NOTHING about stans coaching style" what the hell exactly is his style? it looks like some form of Street Ball or YMCA ball
"it was a called play, and I called it. I called alot of good plays today didn't I chuck?!"

jackflash

Steve is doing what his head coach is asking him to, would like to see after ULAR new ass. coached him for a year. :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

Fayetnam

AGREE! AGREE! AGREE! Why in the hell is Stephen Hill playing and setting screens behind the 3 pt line! He should be down low. I agree, he is dong what he is coached to do..............but he is not getting good coaching or tutorage! Time for a change!!!!