Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Position and Philosophy Changes

Started by varrichione, September 14, 2017, 04:29:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

varrichione

I am by no means a coach, nor do I know football as well as any coach on The Hill.  I'm an educated fan who likes to win.  That's my disclaimer.

I love the 3-4 defense.  I think it allows for more aggression...with the right personnel.  Looking at our D this year, there is one major change I'd look at.  Austin Capps needs to be a starter, and he's the perfect size for a 3-4 end.  Agim would be my nickel DE "starter."  The line in a 3-4 has a clear first priority.  Stop the run.  Any pass rush is bonus.  Stop the run.  The OLBs should provide most of the pass rush.  Capps is perfect.

Agim is in the wrong defense.  He's a 4-3 end.

I'd like to see more safety blitzes.  Not all game, but like 2-3 game.  Based on everything I THINK I know about Coley, this would be good for him.

Offense.
We need to do a better job of getting the ball to our playmakers.  Hammonds and Hayden need to be getting touches with many of them in space.  Enos would benefit from studying the Rams's offense from 99-2001.  See how Martz isolated Faulk.

Cornelius needs to lose weight.

Until we can establish the o-line, we should be a pass-first offense and using play-action liberally.

On call-in shows, people complain about our speed.  For our WRs, speed is not the issue.  Drew Morgan is a prime example of that.  It's route-running.  That's where you get separation.  I question the coaching of our receivers' coach.  No matter where he is, Petrino's WRs get open, regardless of speed.  Something is wrong here.

I'd like to see Cantrell catch 35 passes from here through the rest of the regular season.

We need a special teams coach.  Can Ken Turner be hired as a consultant?

Thoughts?

hawgwild child

Bijhon is the NT in the 3-4 not agim, agim is a superb end in any system.  the job of the d-line in the 3-4 is to hold the o-line in a 2 gap system most of the time.  this allows your linebackers to make more plays and fly around, this was the problem the other night among other things.  i would like to see more blitzes of any kind i will agree with that

jm

Scheme is not the problem. Our defense is gutless. They have no pride and no true desire to excel. There is no reason to roll over at the end of the game and give up the last 2 touchdowns. Good defenses want to be put in bad situations; this team pouts when the field goal kicker misses and lets it turn into 7 points for the other team. They just lack man juice. They need some of those pink hats, but it would be an insult to the pink hat people.   Right now they have a poor us, losers attitude. Scheme cannot fix that.

varrichione

Quote from: hawgwild child on September 14, 2017, 04:35:41 pm
Bijhon is the NT in the 3-4 not agim, agim is a superb end in any system.  the job of the d-line in the 3-4 is to hold the o-line in a 2 gap system most of the time.  this allows your linebackers to make more plays and fly around, this was the problem the other night among other things.  i would like to see more blitzes of any kind i will agree with that
I know Agim isn't the NT.  He's an end, but his skills fit a 4-3 defense.  Everything else you said is spot on.

Lou Holtz said it:  When you are outmanned along the LOS, get off the bus throwing the ball.  We are almost always outmanned along the LOS.  By football theory, we should be throwing the ball 70 percent of the time to have any chance to win.  I don't know if Petrino knew this or was just stupid lucky but he rolled with that theory.

I think this theory evolved from centuries ago when one human was faced with fighting for his life against another.  He soon learned to quit advancing forward into sure death and run for his life.  Adopted to football, if you cannot run over them try to throw over them or at least run around them.

Cletus

September 14, 2017, 07:49:37 pm #5 Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 08:38:48 pm by Cletus
1. Yeah, I think Agim would be best as a 3 tech.
2. I don't think they really have the personnel to run the 3-4.
3. I don't really see the purpose in a 3-4 if they're going to put in the 4-3 nickel package so much. There's not much difference in 4-3/3-4 the way it's implemented here.
4. ILB's don't play "downhill"
5. Ramsey, at least for now, isn't a good fit at "Razor" I'm sure he would contribute more as an ILB.
See, what had happened was........

bvillepig

I would like to see Agim nearer his original playing weight and see what happens

rtr

Maybe we need to change identity on offense and let Enos run his wide open attack.  What is there to lose?  Bielema could also assert his own identity as something else rather than a Barry Alvarez wannabe.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

PossumFan

Some good thoughts, but not sure liberal use of play-action is that effective in a pass-first offense.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: varrichione on September 14, 2017, 04:29:49 pm
I am by no means a coach, nor do I know football as well as any coach on The Hill.  I'm an educated fan who likes to win.  That's my disclaimer.

I love the 3-4 defense.  I think it allows for more aggression...with the right personnel.  Looking at our D this year, there is one major change I'd look at.  Austin Capps needs to be a starter, and he's the perfect size for a 3-4 end.  Agim would be my nickel DE "starter."  The line in a 3-4 has a clear first priority.  Stop the run.  Any pass rush is bonus.  Stop the run.  The OLBs should provide most of the pass rush.  Capps is perfect.

I'd like to see more safety blitzes.  Not all game, but like 2-3 game.  Based on everything I THINK I know about Coley, this would be good for him.

Offense.
We need to do a better job of getting the ball to our playmakers.  Hammonds and Hayden need to be getting touches with many of them in space.  Enos would benefit from studying the Rams's offense from 99-2001.  See how Martz isolated Faulk.

Until we can establish the o-line, we should be a pass-first offense and using play-action liberally.

On call-in shows, people complain about our speed.  For our WRs, speed is not the issue.  Drew Morgan is a prime example of that.  It's route-running.  That's where you get separation.  I question the coaching of our receivers' coach.  No matter where he is, Petrino's WRs get open, regardless of speed.  Something is wrong here.

I'd like to see Cantrell catch 35 passes from here through the rest of the regular season.

Thoughts?

Pass first using play action liberally? You don't see the problem with that? Then again I didn't see any shortage of internet fools asking why we weren't using more play action last week.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

Youngsta71701

September 15, 2017, 06:29:31 am #10 Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 09:10:06 am by Youngsta71701

Offense.

Thoughts?
1. Hammonds and Hayden indeed need more touches.
2. Enos needs to run more screens and draws to slow down the rush and keep the defense off balance.
3. The starting O-line should be the 4 returning starters from last year's team along with the new left tackle. Jackson or someone else if he's not getting the job done.
4. When Cantrell figures out where the back of the end zone is he'll get more catches. Touchdown catches at that.
5. We definitely need a special teams coach. Our kickers have sucked since Zach Hocker graduated.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

varrichione

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on September 14, 2017, 10:19:48 pm
Pass first using play action liberally? You don't see the problem with that? Then again I didn't see any shortage of internet fools asking why we weren't using more play action last week.
No, I do not see a problem with that.  Pass first to setup the run and use play-action liberally.  If the defense doesn't respect the run on the play-action, you are setting up the run. 

swineology

I am by no means a coach, nor do I know football as well as any coach on The Hill.   

Stopped reading right here

GuvHog

Quote from: varrichione on September 17, 2017, 03:01:06 pm
No, I do not see a problem with that.  Pass first to setup the run and use play-action liberally.  If the defense doesn't respect the run on the play-action, you are setting up the run. 

Good point. Because the Hogs passing game is not a threat, opposing defenses are putting 8 in the box and going 1 on 1 with the receivers. Until the Hogs passing game becomes a serious threat, the Hogs aren't going to do much running. TCU's safeties were walking up behind the Linebackers all game long.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

KennyForAD

Wth?  We CAN'T throw.  That's our biggest problem

codeHog

Amount of ink given about Jones being our best deep threat is !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

compared to how many times we have tried it in games

Games !!!

codeHog

How many times Allen got the ball to O'Grady !!!

compared to his ability to get open and catch the ball !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: KennyForAD on September 17, 2017, 03:12:11 pm

True, but it isn't the O-Line's fault.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

PonderinHog

Quote from: KennyForAD on September 17, 2017, 03:12:11 pm
I don't know how he finished, but at one point, Austin Allen had zero interceptions during fall camp.  He was 70+% in the opener.  He had time (some) against TCU.  I think that if he'd tuck and run when it's there, the passing game would open up, along with the running game.  Or we can keep running into a stacked box.

We're just too predictable on offense right now.  IOW, I have no idea what happened.