Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sumlin to AZ...good move for him

Started by twistitup, January 15, 2018, 01:11:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

PermianPig

Tejano Jawg

Agree. Not a bad change of scenery for him.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

hobhog

A$M still has to let him keep his money, right?

ricepig

onebadrubi

He is the kind of coach that can really excel at a Arizona type school.  Can pull some play makers, spread it out, put up some points, and scare the bigger schools in his conference.  I don't think he is a kind of coach that can be at a school with the expectations of A&M (as real or unreal as those may be). 

Arizona doesn't expect to be competing for the pac12 title next year.  He will do well with that and just possibly put them once or twice in his tenure. 

Dwight_K_Shrute

People like to point out how he underachieved at A&M.  He may have underachieved his recruiting rankings but he was better than Mike Sherman.  Sherman was 3 games under .500 in B12, had one losing season 2 6 win seasons and 1 lone 9 win season.  Sumlin may have perpetually been 8-5 after the Manziel year but that's still a good bit better than Sherman and in a much more difficult conference.  Overall he won 51 games in 6 years.  Sherman won 25 in 4 years.

Is he the greatest coach ever?  No.  Is he a good coach that can at least recruit and field a decent team?  Yes.  He will pull some Texas kids West and get AZ to an 8 win average, and be better than Rich Rod (and will be a better person as well). 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

SemperHawg

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on January 15, 2018, 04:24:17 pm
People like to point out how he underachieved at A&M.  He may have underachieved his recruiting rankings but he was better than Mike Sherman.  Sherman was 3 games under .500 in B12, had one losing season 2 6 win seasons and 1 lone 9 win season.  Sumlin may have perpetually been 8-5 after the Manziel year but that's still a good bit better than Sherman and in a much more difficult conference.  Overall he won 51 games in 6 years.  Sherman won 25 in 4 years.

Is he the greatest coach ever?  No.  Is he a good coach that can at least recruit and field a decent team?  Yes.  He will pull some Texas kids West and get AZ to an 8 win average, and be better than Rich Rod (and will be a better person as well). 
I still say they came to the SEC one year too early.  Johnny Football may have gone undefeated in a much weaker Big 12 that year they won 11 games.

twistitup

Manziel was a double edged sword at A&M - the winning was great but it increased expectations to unreasonable levels.

Sumlin will probably take AZ to the top...they will have more patience than A&M. College Station is a damn pressure cooker

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Flrazrback

Good move for him and AZ... should be a great match

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: twistitup on January 15, 2018, 04:34:32 pm
Manziel was a double edged sword at A&M - the winning was great but it increased expectations to unreasonable levels.

Sumlin will probably take AZ to the top...they will have more patience than A&M. College Station is a damn pressure cooker

Sumlin is a good coach, and a great hire by AZ, but I seriously doubt he's taking AZ to the top.  Won't get the same leve of talent IMO.  He was artificially elevated at A$M by Manziel going all Matt Jones in most games.

He'll improve on Rodriguez, but he won't be winning titles IMO.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Dang, I was thinking they would go for Bret and his big resume.  haha.  Sumlin should do well at AZ.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: 12247 on January 15, 2018, 05:01:01 pm
Dang, I was thinking they would go for Bret and his big resume.  haha.  Sumlin should do well at AZ.

I have serious doubts he will get a P5 job anytime soon. If your record is suspect at least have an exciting brand of football. He does not. Outside of K-State not sure who would want him, and Bill Snyder is going to Charleton Heston that job
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Tigaman

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on January 15, 2018, 08:10:03 pm
I have serious doubts he will get a P5 job anytime soon. If your record is suspect at least have an exciting brand of football. He does not. Outside of K-State not sure who would want him, and Bill Snyder is going to Charleton Heston that job

He might be able to get the Kansas job or a low tier Big 10 job. More than likely though, I think he will resurface at a MAC school in a few years.