Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Brian Daboll exit means for Alabama offense

Started by jbcarol, January 15, 2018, 08:23:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

AL.com sports‏Verified account @aldotcomSports

What Brian Daboll exit means for Alabama offense, the interesting QB offseason to come

QuoteThe whole continuity things remains evasive for Alabama's offensive coordinator and quarterbacks.

Three (almost) complete seasons with Lane Kiffin had three different passers. Then it was Steve Sarkisian for a game and Brian Daboll for a season. The NFL claimed those two with Daboll heading to the Buffalo Bills in a move announced Sunday.

It comes at a fascinating time for this Crimson Tide offense. Two qualified candidates are primed for a spring football quarterback competition unlike any Alabama's seen. You just don't find many scenarios like a two-year starter being replaced by a true freshman at halftime in a national title game-changing substitution.

The kind of offensive coordinator who replaces Daboll could say a lot about the direction Nick Saban intends for that side of the ball. Someone with a spread passing background would seem to favor Tua Tagovailoa's style.

Both can run, though Hurts is more of the straight-ahead, read-option player.

"I think Jalen, he's the kind of guy coach (Lane) Kiffin likes to quarterback," former Alabama quarterback Jake Coker said last week on WNSP-FM in Mobile. "A mobile guy who can make plays with his feet and gives you a lot of options. Coach (Brian) Daboll's approach to offensive football is different."

It's worth remembering the Alabama defense is also replacing coordinator Jeremy Pruitt along with the entire starting secondary. That dynamic could make for the need to be more aggressive on offense.

And, as always when Alabama's hiring a new offensive coordinator, Saban's philosophy remains the guiding principle. Nobody is coming into this program and changing the spirit of the way Saban wants things done.

A few current and former Alabama players have voiced social media support for current Tide receivers coach Mike Locksley, a former offensive coordinator and head coach.

Saban has not promoted from within the on-field coaching staff for a coordinator job since Kirby Smart in 2008. Sarkisian was an analyst when getting the ultimately brief call up in 2016.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

jbcarol

AL.com sports
‏Verified account @aldotcomSports

Brian Daboll's departure from Alabama was sudden, but he did what was in the best interest of his family: https://trib.al/T3NbLzv

Quote"I'm a Buffalo guy," Daboll told WKBW-TV. "The communities around the stadium, to the Rochester area, it's a really special area. It's where I grew up. The people, the community are second to none. They're unbelievable. City of good neighbors for a reason. Great food... as you can tell. But I love the place. I love the community. I love the people. I love the fans. I love the team... It was a good opportunity and I made it in the best interest of our family."