Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

It's going to take a lot

Started by Snout team, January 08, 2018, 10:30:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

steveaustin69

Quote from: wildturkey8 on January 09, 2018, 02:53:56 pm
Quit being a pansy.

If being a pansy means wanting to win and not lose, then I will continue to be a pansy.

AirWarren

Quote from: IronHog on January 09, 2018, 02:11:40 pm

Yes.  He's that Madre Hill, McFadden type freak Arkansas turns out occasionally

He'd play SEC football right now....

He has to be from 7A west to be able to play SEC football...you didn't know? Like the Allen's.....or Brooksie Ellis.........

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 09, 2018, 02:27:36 pm
So...again...you just said you'd take an Arkansas Razorbacks loss over a win.

Is it fall yet?
So when someone suggest that Arkansas leave the SEC and go the Big 12 the answer is always that we can't give up the money.  What are those fans saying if not that we would rather lose in the SEC than win in the Big 12?  As long as the money is good enough.

HogHomer

Quote from: AP85 on January 09, 2018, 03:32:21 pm
He has to be from 7A west to be able to play SEC football...you didn't know? Like the Allen's.....or Brooksie Ellis.........
What is with the unwarranted shot on former players?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: #hammerdown on January 08, 2018, 10:30:07 pm
To get any where close to the type team we are watching play tonight.

Fulltiltboogie
Hammerdown
Jimmiesandjoes
XsandOs

These are definitely the best two teams in the nation right now.

Coach Morris has his work cut out

We won't ever get there.  We'll never look like either of those teams defensively.  The size of their LBs and DBs combined with their speed won't be seen at Arkansas in those numbers.  Probably not offensively either when you consider the size of many of their skill players.  We can be successful though. 

You look at OU's defense.  Perhaps we could get there.  Norwood is a name tossed around here as a "lost" recruit.  He was physically manhandled by UGa all game.  Their wr's abused him including on TD passes.  On the winning TD, Fromm completely took him out of the play on a block.  OU had speed and some athletes like their undersized DE who is a great college pass rusher. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HoggyCat

What scares me is Morris' offense.  Not the aspect of scoring, because I believe we will. The problem is our defense and the toll it's ginna take on them.  We're going to have recruit quality 2s and get them experienced or hope for a bunch of 3 & outs  I'm hoping The Chief can do both of those. It'll take until year 3 on the depth. We should see improvement in overall defense with the big 10 mentality gone. That alone should result in less time on the field.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

hawgon

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 10, 2018, 11:31:36 am
We won't ever get there.  We'll never look like either of those teams defensively.  The size of their LBs and DBs combined with their speed won't be seen at Arkansas in those numbers.  Probably not offensively either when you consider the size of many of their skill players.  We can be successful though. 

You look at OU's defense.  Perhaps we could get there.  Norwood is a name tossed around here as a "lost" recruit.  He was physically manhandled by UGa all game.  Their wr's abused him including on TD passes.  On the winning TD, Fromm completely took him out of the play on a block.  OU had speed and some athletes like their undersized DE who is a great college pass rusher.

I said that exactly.  We're not going to be Alabama.  That isn't our model for success.  But we could be OU.  And they were within a play of being in the championship game. 

steveaustin69

Quote from: hawgon on January 10, 2018, 11:49:34 am
I said that exactly.  We're not going to be Alabama.  That isn't our model for success.  But we could be OU.  And they were within a play of being in the championship game.

OU has won 10+ games in 15 of 18 years. We aren't in the same stratosphere as OU as a program.

311Hog

Quote from: steveaustin69 on January 10, 2018, 12:00:13 pm
OU has won 10+ games in 15 of 18 years. We aren't in the same stratosphere as OU as a program.

operative word being "could"

Atlhogfan1

We aren't going to win like OU has.  They out recruit their competition with one exception. But we could resemble them in how we play and have success. I hate it.  But it's the recruiting base we have.  I think the last stated approach could have worked but the oline was never built.  So we are going to head down a different path.   
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: steveaustin69 on January 10, 2018, 12:00:13 pm
Other than history and some tradition what inherit advantages does OU have over Arkansas?  Forget OU, what inherit advantages does Oklahoma State have over Arkansas?

311Hog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 10, 2018, 12:05:40 pm
We aren't going to win like OU has.  They out recruit their competition with one exception. But we could resemble them in how we play and have success. I hate it.  But it's the recruiting base we have.  I think the last stated approach could have worked but the oline was never built.  So we are going to head down a different path.   

yes how much winning that happens remains to be seen.  Obviously OU level of success would be a huge win for us, but i agree i bet we look very similar to them in terms of speed speed speed and offense with a D that hopefully can force negative plays for our opponents.

Laughing Hog

Quote from: AP85 on January 09, 2018, 07:48:34 am
Our players look nothing like those kids.

Makes you wonder about steroids etc.

Before Kirby, a lot of GA guys over here claimed they highly suspect/know that the gumps are stick'n needles in the backsides of the players. If you look at the GA players now that Kirby is at GA, they appear to look very much like the gumps players now. Thick, lean and fast and quick. Apparently Needles + Bagmen = winning formula.
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on January 10, 2018, 12:06:24 pm
Other than history and some tradition what inherit advantages does OU have over Arkansas?  Forget OU, what inherit advantages does Oklahoma State have over Arkansas?

Competition.  The top of the SEC is bigger, deeper and faster.  OU's answer for it has been exceptional qb play.  They are rarity though.  Ok St, TCU, Baylor, TT, K St,... not physically imposing teams.  All built similar and with the exception of K St all with similar offenses.  Why Texas decided to stoop down to their level when they could build LSU/Bama like teams I have no idea.  We have a B12 recruiting base trying to play teams with a Deep South/Fl base.  Advantage OU and OSU. 

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 10, 2018, 12:11:20 pm
Competition.  The top of the SEC is bigger, deeper and faster.  OU's answer for it has been exceptional qb play.  They are rarity though.  Ok St, TCU, Baylor, TT, K St,... not physically imposing teams.  All built similar and with the exception of K St all with similar offenses.  Why Texas decided to stoop down to their level when they could build LSU/Bama like teams I have no idea.  We have a B12 recruiting base trying to play teams with a Deep South/Fl base.  Advantage OU and OSU.
Bingo.

The thing separating OU from Arkansas is not some inherent advantage but the conference that they play in.

hawgon

Without Saban the top of the SEC isn't any really tougher than any other league.  The athletes might be better, but that doesn't necessarily translate to dominant teams on the field.  Sometimes it doesn't even translate to good teams.

Take off the Saban blinders and you realize that there isn't a team in the league that we can't expect to beat at least 50% of the time if we get to where we should be.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hawgon on January 10, 2018, 12:42:22 pm
Without Saban the top of the SEC isn't any really tougher than any other league.  The athletes might be better, but that doesn't necessarily translate to dominant teams on the field.  Sometimes it doesn't even translate to good teams.

Take off the Saban blinders and you realize that there isn't a team in the league that we can't expect to beat at least 50% of the time if we get to where we should be.

Would depend if they are where they should be.  Good thing about last expansion is we won't see Fl or Uga too often.  The size and physicality of the conference is different at the top.   Bama was this way pre Saban.  Just not consistently coached well for a while.

AirWarren

Quote from: HogHomer on January 10, 2018, 11:22:24 am
What is with the unwarranted shot on former players?

Depends on how you take the comment.....

HogHomer

Quote from: AP85 on January 10, 2018, 01:06:30 pm
Depends on how you take the comment.....
Well from what I've seen from your comments in other threads I can see that you only support players from Arkansas based on where they are from and that's all I really need to know.

AirWarren

Quote from: HogHomer on January 10, 2018, 01:11:19 pm
Well from what I've seen from your comments in other threads I can see that you only support players from Arkansas based on where they are from and that's all I really need to know.

Ok.

IronHog

Quote from: HogHomer on January 10, 2018, 01:11:19 pm

Well when your MLBer and QB are untouchable no matter how bad the play you might get some comments

Of course Brandon Mitchell and Otha Peters had to be run out of town ASAP
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

AirWarren

Quote from: IronHog on January 10, 2018, 01:24:20 pm

Well when your MLBer and QB are untouchable no matter how bad the play you might get some comments

Quiet......you're bashing players with your facts.

Yet we saw Nick Saban bench a quarterback in the second half who is 25-2 I believe................for a freshman. Yet we had to ride the Allen coattail to the bank for 5 years.....

hawgon

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 10, 2018, 12:48:01 pm
Would depend if they are where they should be.  Good thing about last expansion is we won't see Fl or Uga too often.  The size and physicality of the conference is different at the top.   Bama was this way pre Saban.  Just not consistently coached well for a while.

As I said, it doesn't always translate to dominance on the field.  In fact, it usually doesn't.  Saban has completely skewed reality around here.

HogHomer

Quote from: IronHog on January 10, 2018, 01:24:20 pm

Don't see how BA or Ellis had anything to do personally with either of those people leaving. They came to Arkansas because they loved the program and gave all they had to us. Both of them created good memories for the hogs and I think it's dumb to bash them because you don't like the previous administration.

hogsanity

Quote from: HogHomer on January 10, 2018, 01:27:49 pm
Don't see how BA or Ellis had anything to do personally with either of those people leaving. They came to Arkansas because they loved the program and gave all they had to us. Both of them created good memories for the hogs and I think it's dumb to bash them because you don't like the previous administration.

Iron and a few others are so jealous of NWA that they now want to act like the only in state players the school recruits are from the 7a west. But these guys are still fighting the Civil War so there is that too.

Funny though, Greenlaw is a 7a west player and they don't have a problem with him.

They think you are not really an Arkansan or do not know what the south is unless you grew up in a share cropper shack in the delta.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

IronHog

Quote from: hogsanity on January 10, 2018, 01:33:34 pm
Iron and a few others are so jealous of NWA that they now want to act like the only in state players the school recruits are from the 7a west. But these guys are still fighting the Civil War so there is that too.

Funny though, Greenlaw is a 7a west player and they don't have a problem with him.

They think you are not really an Arkansan or do not know what the south is unless you grew up in a share cropper shack in the delta.

Greenlaw is a good player

Woulda made a great hybrid.  He's out of position and ineffective at LBer

hogsanity

Quote from: IronHog on January 10, 2018, 01:38:36 pm

Greenlaw is a good player

Woulda made a great hybrid.  He's out of position and ineffective at LBer

Guys like him and Eliis have had to play MLB because they were the best we could get. Maybe if every freaking hs coach in the state would quit putting everyone on offense, the state could start producing some good lb's like they used to do.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

PorkSoda

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 09, 2018, 02:42:14 pm
We take our shot against the best every week. Are we winners because of it?

You're one of those dudes who ride the SEC coattails, aren't you? Because somehow Alabama's success makes us better, right? Even though we went 4-8 and Alabama kicked our teeth in. Just like Clemson winning it all last year makes Wake Forest better.

You cannot spin this any other way, my man. You're saying you're okay with an exciting LOSS over a boring WIN.

That's mindblowing.
lets talk about UCF's NC....

oh yeah they don't have one, because they don't play against the best. 

doesn't matter how much you win, if its not against the best.

so if you want to be the best you gotta play the best.

SEC and Georgia play against the best and both made it to the NC.

I don't care that we are a middle of the road SEC program.  you gotta start somewhere.  we are in the right conference, now we just have to figure out a winning formula.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

IronHog

Quote from: hogsanity on January 10, 2018, 01:41:34 pm
Guys like him and Eliis have had to play MLB because they were the best we could get. Maybe if every freaking hs coach in the state would quit putting everyone on offense, the state could start producing some good lb's like they used to do.

I don't believe they were the best they could get

Last staff was lazy.  Stuck the NWAers in there to deflect heat.

hogsanity

Quote from: IronHog on January 10, 2018, 01:43:48 pm

I know you don't, but you are not the one out there recruiting. I don't see any other p5's in here raiding linebackers either.

AirWarren

Quote from: hogsanity on January 10, 2018, 01:33:34 pm

I don't even know what a share cropper shack is......I grew up in a big house in the middle of 50 acres of hardwood and pine........

However, I do know what Midwest America and southern America is.....and the south isn't NWA. More like Topeka, KS or Branson, MO.

steveaustin69

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on January 10, 2018, 12:06:24 pm

I'd say being a blue blood program for a half century with 7 national titles and 47 conference championships is a pretty substantial "inherent" advantage over Arkansas' situation.

Oklahoma State is not a bad comparison, but that wasn't the subject. 

HogHomer

Quote from: IronHog on January 10, 2018, 01:43:48 pm

I like it when people project their personal feelings as fact. You say the last staff was lazy. Do you know the amount of hours they put into communicating with HS prospects? How much film they watched? They had faults in other areas that can be picked at rather than making things up.

AirWarren

Quote from: steveaustin69 on January 10, 2018, 01:48:24 pm
I'd say being a blue blood program for a half century with 7 national titles and 47 conference championships is a pretty substantial "inherent" advantage over Arkansas' situation.

Oklahoma State is not a bad comparison, but that wasn't the subject.

To answer his question about OK State.....facilities and oil money to pump into the program. And a winning system and coach. That matters.

Arkansas can't compete with T. Boone Pickens money. Or all his oil money buddies.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: AP85 on January 10, 2018, 01:52:07 pm
To answer his question about OK State.....facilities and oil money to pump into the program. And a winning system and coach. That matters.

Arkansas can't compete with T. Boone Pickens money. Or all his oil money buddies.
You don't think the billionaires with Arkansas connections can compete with T. Boone Pickens?  They may choose not give at the level he does, but they are more than capable of doing so.

hawgon

It is an open question as to whether T. Boone is even a billionaire anymore.

hogsanity

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on January 10, 2018, 02:03:10 pm
You don't think the billionaires with Arkansas connections can compete with T. Boone Pickens?  They may choose not give at the level he does, but they are more than capable of doing so.

Unless he is giving to buy players, so what. They have good facilities and so do the hogs. they pay their coaches alot, so do the hogs.

AirWarren

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on January 10, 2018, 02:03:10 pm

Oil money>that walmart money.

Always will be. No matter how bad it hurts.

AirWarren

Quote from: hogsanity on January 10, 2018, 02:07:43 pm
Unless he is giving to buy players, so what. They have good facilities and so do the hogs. they pay their coaches alot, so do the hogs.

They also have a system that is working for the type of player they are recruiting. From TEXAS. Think over 75% of their roster is Texas kids. They have the formula figured out on how to compete.

Busta_Nutt

Quote from: AP85 on January 10, 2018, 01:52:07 pm

Jerry Jones has more money than T. Boone Pickens ever thought about having.

AirWarren

Quote from: Busta_Nutt on January 10, 2018, 02:09:54 pm

So how come the stadium and field isn't named after Jerry Jones......if he is such a big contributor and advocate of UoAF?

hogsanity

Quote from: AP85 on January 10, 2018, 02:09:43 pm
They also have a system that is working for the type of player they are recruiting. From TEXAS. Think over 75% of their roster is Texas kids. They have the formula figured out on how to compete.

On how to compete in the Big12.

My brother got his doctorate at OSU, he is a big time fan and all he does is gripe about the football program and how it is never going to win anything of consequence as long as they treat defense as optional.

HogX

Quote from: Busta_Nutt on January 10, 2018, 02:09:54 pm

The internet tells me T Boone Pickens has a net worth of $500 million (as of 2016) while Jerry has a net worth of $5.6 billion.  He's doing alright for himself.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: AP85 on January 10, 2018, 02:09:43 pm
To compete with TEXAS or TEXAS dependent programs. 

Busta_Nutt

Quote from: AP85 on January 10, 2018, 02:11:56 pm
So how come the stadium and field isn't named after Jerry Jones......if he is such a big contributor and advocate of UoAF?

I cannot answer that, but I can say that your original statement, "Arkansas can't compete with T. Boone Pickens money." is false, because it can.

AirWarren

Quote from: hogsanity on January 10, 2018, 02:13:06 pm
On how to compete in the Big12.

My brother got his doctorate at OSU, he is a big time fan and all he does is gripe about the football program and how it is never going to win anything of consequence as long as they treat defense as optional.

Oh how to compete in the SEC..................which we don't regularly do.

At least the big 12 had a team in the playoff.....for a conference of little "consequence".

311Hog

because he has given other things to the UofA not just football stuff.

RME

Maybe he doesn't want it to be?

Maybe the student-athlete center is enough for him?

Or...maybe he doesn't want it to be?

IronHog

Quote from: MyBoyCanaan on January 10, 2018, 01:49:45 pm
That take just makes no sense at all.

You're telling me a coaching staff did not play the players and lineup that they thought would give them the best chance of winning to "take heat" away from them?

Don't buy that for one second.

Sat there and watched it 5 years

Even creamy smooth Kingsbury can spread the field and isolate on your not fast enough 250lbs linebacker if you are too freaking lazy to prepare a proper nickle package

steveaustin69

Quote from: IronHog on January 10, 2018, 02:17:38 pm

Sat there and watched it 5 years

Even creamy smooth Kingsbury can spread the field and isolate on your not fast enough 250lbs linebacker if you are too freaking lazy to prepare a proper nickle package

So they intentionally failed? Ok. Sure.