Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

It's going to take a lot

Started by Snout team, January 08, 2018, 10:30:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Snout team

To get any where close to the type team we are watching play tonight.

Fulltiltboogie
Hammerdown
Jimmiesandjoes
XsandOs

These are definitely the best two teams in the nation right now.

Coach Morris has his work cut out
The scout team (snout team) is an important part of the team although it gets little credit.

Lanlord

They didn't get there overnight.  We have to try harder.

hobhog

The state of Georgia may not survive this and last years Super Bowl....

Tusker4life

Our players don't look as big, lean and strong as Alabama, they are just tough.
Cheering for Alabama because they are in the SEC is like cheering for the Devil because he is in the Bible...

RME

Quote from: Lanlord on January 08, 2018, 10:44:03 pm

Try harder? I can try as hard as I can to swim across the English Channel. Doesn't mean I'll make it.

We need more than trying harder.

NorthDallas40

UCF could hang and beat either of these teams. GEORGIA JUST LOST TO THE TIDE'S BACK UP QUARTERBACK WHO'S NOT PLAYED A MEANINGFUL SNAP ALL YEAR - but somehow UCF with arguably the second best QB in football and definitely a top 5er couldn't hang with them. Sure thing there buddy.

RME

Quote from: NorthDallas40 on January 08, 2018, 11:11:49 pm
UCF could hang and beat either of these teams. GEORGIA JUST LOST TO THE TIDE'S BACK UP QUARTERBACK WHO'S NOT PLAYED A MEANINGFUL SNAP ALL YEAR - but somehow UCF with arguably the second best QB in football and definitely a top 5er couldn't hang with them. Sure thing there buddy.

lllllllllooooooolllllllllll

hogsanity

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 08, 2018, 10:54:58 pm
Try harder? I can try as hard as I can to swim across the English Channel. Doesn't mean I'll make it.

We need more than trying harder.

This try harder crap is just stupid but is basically an admission that the Hogs will NEVER have the players to have a team capable of doing what teams like Bama Ga Ohio st and the other big boys field year after year after year.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

sowmonella

???????
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Kevin

Ccm is trying. He is taking big swings in recruiting
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Al Boarland

Snout team

Quote from: Al Boarland on January 09, 2018, 06:02:42 am
"Look at what Clemson did!"

And that is what we hope for.  We are "Clemsonesk" in a lot of ways.  I don't doubt CCM knows how to get it done.  From looking at the staff he is putting together it is apparent he is being aggressive in pursuing getting it done.  Time will tell.

I'm just saying there is a wide span in the reality of where we are and where we need to be.  That is not a slam on current players.  I put that responsibility at the feet of TCTWF
The scout team (snout team) is an important part of the team although it gets little credit.

AirWarren

Quote from: Lanlord on January 08, 2018, 10:44:03 pm

Lol.

Bama Ana Georgia have been doing this for years. Competing in the SEC.

We are mid level sec. No one sees us as a contender.

AirWarren

Quote from: Tusker4life on January 08, 2018, 10:51:54 pm
Our players don't look as big, lean and strong as Alabama, they are just tough.

Our players look nothing like those kids.

Makes you wonder about steroids etc.

Jonbo

There's 21 other starting players. Both teams last night had monsters all over the field. Does UCF have that? I don't know, but somehow doubt it. I'd love to see, however. I'd love to see one more playoff round so that the UCF and  Boise State's of the world could actually show what they've got, and teams like Ohio State couldn't gripe that they'd been cheated.

blueridger

Quote from: hogsanity on January 08, 2018, 11:18:25 pm
This try harder crap is just stupid but is basically an admission that the Hogs will NEVER have the players to have a team capable of doing what teams like Bama Ga Ohio st and the other big boys field year after year after year.

that's what they used to say in Clemson.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: AP85 on January 09, 2018, 07:48:34 am

Makes you wonder about steroids etc.[\b]
I don't wonder at all. Seems pretty obvious to me. I'm surprised it isn't brought up more.

hogsanity

Quote from: theFlyingHog on January 09, 2018, 08:11:54 am
I don't wonder at all. Seems pretty obvious to me. I'm surprised it isn't brought up more.

Demographics and genetics. Look where most, I said MOST not all, of those players who at 18 look 28 and at 22 look 35 come from. Those gene pools have been in those areas for well over a centruy and they just keep turning out athletes.

Nolan Richardson himself said some things, things that I am not sure you can say now about that very issue when he was the coach here.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

rtr

Quote from: AP85 on January 09, 2018, 07:47:38 am
Lol.

Bama Ana Georgia have been doing this for years. Competing in the SEC.

We are mid level sec. No one sees us as a contender.
Really, Georgia is not in the same class as Bama.  Georgia just made the playoffs for the first time this year. 
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

hogsanity

Quote from: rtr on January 09, 2018, 08:20:53 am
Really, Georgia is not in the same class as Bama.  Georgia just made the playoffs for the first time this year. 

But the knock on Richt was always that he had the players like Bama but did not know what to do with them.

Albert Einswine

You're a broken record, and the song sucks balls.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

hogsanity

Quote from: Albert Einswine on January 09, 2018, 08:25:07 am

You're a broken record, and the song sucks balls.

sometimes the truth sucks. As for broken record, no more so than the " weuns jest goht tuh gits us some guhd ole suthn bos thats wahnt to be hawgs an jest coachs em up " That not how this works.

Cotton

Dumbest thing in this thread.

Quote from: AP85 on January 09, 2018, 07:48:34 am

Makes you wonder about steroids etc.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on January 09, 2018, 08:11:54 am

Close second.

If the NCAA has done anything well, it has policed performance enhancers very strongly.  Unfortunately most people don't know the inner workings of this, nor do they understand how complex the strength and conditioning and nutrition programs are... but the elite level of athlete those schools get is above ours.  Performance enhancers are not the difference. 
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

theFlyingHog

Quote from: tncbg on January 09, 2018, 08:29:20 am
Look at the recruiting rankings. No mention of Arkansas anywhere. Until that changes, we continue to lose.
I'm gonna have to disagree with this. Petrino's classes werent all that special. We'll most likely never be like Alabama but we can be in the top 10 every few years with the right coach

ballinhog

Hope your employer doesn't hand out random drug tests this week

hogsanity

Quote from: ballinhog on January 09, 2018, 08:51:58 am
Hope your employer

doubt that is an issue if he truly believes that about UCF.

AirWarren

Quote from: rtr on January 09, 2018, 08:20:53 am

808-419-54 all time record.
31-19 bowl record.
2 "claimed" national titles.
15 conference titles. 13 of them SEC.
2 Heisman winners.

Yes. Yes, low class program those UGA's.

AirWarren

Hoggish1

Quote from: #hammerdown on January 08, 2018, 10:30:07 pm
To get any where close to the type team we are watching play tonight.

Fulltiltboogie
Hammerdown
Jimmiesandjoes
XsandOs

These are definitely the best two teams in the nation right now.

Coach Morris has his work cut out

That's why you load up on the D side first.

hogsanity

Quote from: AP85 on January 09, 2018, 08:55:11 am
Says the guy with 44k posts.

Been a member here for 13 years, that's fewer than 10 posts per day.

orvillesghost

Watching last night just made me sad

I see no way we can ever get to that level, have resigned myself to that the last few years.

But I wish I could be wrong...

sigpooie

This is the same crap I remember hearing in 77. We are not as far away as some would have you believe and this is trash can worthy based on trashing our players by saying they can not make it to a game like this. Horse crap, this team and coaches that know what the hell is going on could put themselves in this game in two years. Anyone  who does not believe this is not a hog fan..
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! Hunter "my buddy" Thompson

texhog

UCF could hang and beat either of these teams. GEORGIA JUST LOST TO THE TIDE’S BACK UP QUARTERBACK WHO’S NOT PLAYED A MEANINGFUL SNAP ALL YEAR - but somehow UCF with arguably the second best QB in football and definitely a top 5er couldn’t hang with them. Sure thing there buddy.
I suppose there's a lot of teams who could hang and beat either of those teams.  Heck, if all the stars aligned perfectly, the Hogs could hang and beat either of them too.  UCF just didn't do enough to deserve to get the chance.  They beat Auburn.... so what?  UCF was playing their super bowl and Auburn clearly couldn't have cared less about that game.  Losing the SEC championship took the fight right out of them.  UCF had a great season but I really think if they lined up in a playoff against any of the other playoff team with everything on the line, they would have been beaten pretty soundly.  To UCF I tip my hat and say go hang your self proclaimed national championship banner in your stadium.  Lord knows Bama has claimed every possible NC under the sun they can.

hogsanity

Quote from: Hoggish1 on January 09, 2018, 08:56:42 am
That's why you load up on the D side first.

Look just at the size of Bama's lb's. most are in the 6'2" to 6' 4" range and weigh between 230 & 250, and run like tailbacks. Hog lb's are around 6'0 and around 220 on average and do not run like tailbacks.

Hog10S

Quote from: orvillesghost on January 09, 2018, 08:58:35 am
Watching last night just made me sad

I see no way we can ever get to that level, have resigned myself to that the last few years.

But I wish I could be wrong...
Can the none athletes stop whining for a while.  It's not like we have to play these teams in a best of 5 or 7 match.  Just 1 game. There is not as much difference between players as you think.  It's a lot about desire and confidence, not who is better on paper.  That is why they say in the pros "Any Given Sunday", same is true in college, if not more so, any given Saturday any team can win.  Just remember the Appalachian State win over Michigan in the Big House and similar upsets that occur every year.  Heck you had Iowa beat tOhio State horribly and run up over 50 points.  You think they were equal in talent? Not close on paper.

There really is a lot between the ears that make a difference come game time.  The "automatic winners" sometimes get lazy thinking it is an easy win and the other team is confident and playing close.  This can make the "better" team get nervous and nerves can really kill your game and the "lesser team" grows in confidence and has nothing to lose and can win. 

All the players can run routes, throw balls, catch, kick, etc. It is how, mentally, you handle the moment.  The good teams usually win because they are used to winning and therefore start with greater confidence and feel that way longer, even when things aren't going well at the start. That is why you don't want to play them a best of several series.  They will win more over time because of their experience at winning and natural confidence, while nerves will hit earlier for the "lesser team" until they prove that they are the consistently better team.  However, anyone can win a one & done situation and have confidence build over the season and carry over each season thereafter. 

It is the same in every sport.  Nerves hurt coordination and quickness.  Who can calm the nerves and play confident usually always wins.

hogsanity

Quote from: Hog10S on January 09, 2018, 09:22:01 am
Can the none athletes stop whining for a while.  It's not like we have to play these teams in a best of 5 or 7 match.  Just 1 game. There is not as much difference between players as you think.  It's a lot about desire and confidence, not who is better on paper.  That is why they say in the pros "Any Given Sunday", same is true in college, if not more so, any given Saturday any team can win.  Just remember the Appalachian State win over Michigan in the Big House and similar upsets that occur every year.  Heck you had Iowa beat tOhio State horribly and run up over 50 points.  You think they were equal in talent? Not close on paper.

There really is a lot between the ears that make a difference come game time.  The "automatic winners" sometimes get lazy thinking it is an easy win and the other team is confident and playing close.  This can make the "better" team get nervous and nerves can really kill your game and the "lesser team" grows in confidence and has nothing to lose and can win. 

All the players can run routes, throw balls, catch, kick, etc. It is how, mentally, you handle the moment.  The good teams usually win because they are used to winning and therefore start with greater confidence and feel that way longer, even when things aren't going well at the start. That is why you don't want to play them a best of several series.  They will win more over time because of their experience at winning and natural confidence, while nerves will hit earlier for the "lesser team" until they prove that they are the consistently better team.  However, anyone can win a one & done situation and have confidence build over the season and carry over each season thereafter. 

It is the same in every sport.  Nerves hurt coordination and quickness.  Who can calm the nerves and play confident usually always wins.

Thats great if you are talking about one game, but in the sec, for the Hogs to just get to the seccg, they have to do that 3 or 4 times because they are going to face a MINIMUM of 3 or 4 teams every year that have better players.

And please, everyone quit with the " desire and confidence " stuff. I desire to be a great NBA player, but at 5'10" 200lbs and age 48, it is not going to happen. That 5'11" cb that runs a 4.8 can desire all day long to cover that 6'4" wr that runs a 4.5 but more often than not the wr is going to win that battle.

PLHawg

I think we need to find out what supplements Bama and GA are giving their players because they just look like totally different men than what we're putting on the field.  Obviously genetics plays a part, but those guys bodies are on a different level than what we're putting on the field.  Steroids anyone?

Hog10S

And please, everyone quit with the " desire and confidence " stuff. I desire to be a great NBA player, but at 5'10" 200lbs and age 48, it is not going to happen. That 5'11" cb that runs a 4.8 can desire all day long to cover that 6'4" wr that runs a 4.5 but more often than not the wr is going to win that battle.

Your correct when you are talking about non-athletes or someone who is just a dreamer.  We aren't talking about dreamers.  These are D-1 athletes and it is about desire and heart and you would be surprised by the number of D-1 athletes who just go through the motion and don't play with the drive and desire necessary. That is clearly something you will never know or understand, while those that played at the D-1 level and have competed with the best know all about.  So, your right, for people like you, desire and confidence (which you will lack if you got out there with those that really play) will have zero impact on the result.  However, for a d-1 player, who isn't just hoping to be a pro from the view of the couch, it make a gigantic difference.

Do you think that all the pros that talk about "wanting it more" are just talking bs?  It is because at that level, like D-1 as well, that really has a giant impact on the result.  Same in all competitive sports.  They all talk about fighting harder, digging deeper, etc. It is a mental thing.  It makes a huge difference and it you were any kind of real player or athlete, you would know instead of saying you are tired of hearing about it. You just don't understand and never will.  That's fine, just remember your lack of understanding it doesn't mean that it is any less real.  It is a fact and you should go interview and talk with those that have exceeded in their sport and I believe you will see that they all say the same thing.  The drive, desire, confidence, the need to win, compelled them to win.  Not hoping they could or thinking they might, if they were lucky.  You can practice 24/7, but if you don't have the desire to dig deeper and the ability to stay calm when things aren't bouncing your way or when the score is tight, you aren't going to win.  It is those moments win the winners dig deeper and go where the other players on the field can't go to make that big play and win the game.

Wish you could experience that feeling, but I guess some are just better at being armchair athletes and never will.

hogsanity

Quote from: PLHawg on January 09, 2018, 09:39:11 am
I think we need to find out what supplements Bama and GA are giving their players because they just look like totally different men than what we're putting on the field.  Obviously genetics plays a part, but those guys bodies are on a different level than what we're putting on the field.  Steroids anyone?

As usual, someone is better than the Hogs so they must somehow be cheating.

So much of it is genetics, but it is also, in many cases, the training they get in HS.

Nolan Richardson said many years ago, and I may be paraphrasing a bit, the closer you get to where the ships stopped, the better the athletes you find.

It is an uncomfortable conversation for some to have but demographics plays a huge part in college recruiting. Bama, according to their 2017 roster, has 16 LB's on their roster. All but one are at least 6'2" and at least 235lbs. The had they had 5 FR lb's, 6'2" 237, 6'4" 236, 6'4" 237, 6'3" 232, 6'4" 239. All 5 of the fr lbs were from the states of AL, FL, LA.

hogsanity

Quote from: Hog10S on January 09, 2018, 09:45:14 am

Your correct when you are talking about non-athletes or someone who is just a dreamer.  We aren't talking about dreamers.  These are D-1 athletes and it is about desire and heart and you would be surprised by the number of D-1 athletes who just go through the motion and don't play with the drive and desire necessary. That is clearly something you will never know or understand, while those that played at the D-1 level and have competed with the best know all about.  So, your right, for people like you, desire and confidence (which you will lack if you got out there with those that really play) will have zero impact on the result.  However, for a d-1 player, who isn't just hoping to be a pro from the view of the couch, it make a gigantic difference.

Do you think that all the pros that talk about "wanting it more" are just talking bs?  It is because at that level, like D-1 as well, that really has a giant impact on the result.  Same in all competitive sports.  They all talk about fighting harder, digging deeper, etc. It is a mental thing.  It makes a huge difference and it you were any kind of real player or athlete, you would know instead of saying you are tired of hearing about it. You just don't understand and never will.  That's fine, just remember your lack of understanding it doesn't mean that it is any less real.  It is a fact and you should go interview and talk with those that have exceeded in their sport and I believe you will see that they all say the same thing.  The drive, desire, confidence, the need to win, compelled them to win.  Not hoping they could or thinking they might, if they were lucky.  You can practice 24/7, but if you don't have the desire to dig deeper and the ability to stay calm when things aren't bouncing your way or when the score is tight, you aren't going to win.  It is those moments win the winners dig deeper and go where the other players on the field can't go to make that big play and win the game.

Wish you could experience that feeling, but I guess some are just better at being armchair athletes and never will.

Ok you've convinced me, if the Hogs just want it more, they will win 10 games a season. I guess that is why Bama has won 5nc's in the last 9 years. They dont have the best players they just have guys that want it more.

oldhawg

Quote from: hogsanity on January 09, 2018, 09:47:11 am

So much of it is genetics, but it is also, in many cases, the training they get in HS.

This is an interesting comment.  How many times have I read that Texas high school athletes are over-rated because of superior training facilities and regimens.  I happen not to believe this line of thought.  Could be the facilities and training they receive in high school does indeed make them better college football players.

hogsanity

Quote from: oldhawg on January 09, 2018, 09:56:11 am

This is an interesting comment.  How many times have I read that Texas high school athletes are over-rated because of superior training facilities and regimens.  I happen not to believe this line of thought.  Could be the facilities and training they receive in high school does indeed make them better college football players.

I've never been to a Bama HS, but I have been to many AR hs's and their weight rooms are very, how can I say this, minimalist in the equipment they have.

Hog10S

Quote from: hogsanity on January 09, 2018, 09:51:32 am
Ok you've convinced me, if the Hogs just want it more, they will win 10 games a season. I guess that is why Bama has won 5nc's in the last 9 years. They dont have the best players they just have guys that want it more.
Why you will never get it.  It's not like I want to win the lottery or win $1,000,000.  It is more than want.  Drive and desire are more than want.  You can want a lot which sitting on your couch, won't make it happen. You have to be in the fight.  You have to be confident and not nervous. You have to have a plan.  You need a clear hear, and you have to dig deeper to go harder, longer, than the other guy.  You've seem how our defense has seemed to quit once they get down in a game.  That is NOT showing the desire and drive needed. It's about weathering the adversity that will pop up and staying confident, waiting for the other person to make a mistake.  Make no mistake, if a lesser player hangs around long enough and shows confidence and is not quitting or backing down, they better play will sometimes blink.

If the better player never blinks and digs deep and doesn't lose confidence, they will win more times than not and probably 8-10, but, that is why you ALWAYS have a shot.  Every week.  Otherwise, lets just recruit and then not play the games.  Let's just pull the recruiting/player ratings and see who has the higher rated players each week and award them the game and save the cost of injuries and travel, etc. 

I'm just tired of everyone acting like a team of 22 starting players is just so much better than the other team that they shouldn't bother player, the lesser team can never win.  That is what the defense is thinking that quits when down in a big game and not confident they can win.  I would rather sit those players.  I have played on national ranked teams and I know that the difference between the best player and one that isn't considered a "great" is not very much in reality. It has more to do with what is happening in your head than you would think and once you realize it and capitalize upon it, you wish you had learned it or realized it so much sooner.

We will have a hard time, because we have to drive in confidence that has been lost the last couple of years, especially on defense.  However, it is one week at a time and one game at a time, and any team can win any game at our level.  How about we quit telling the players they have no chance and actually be a positive voice for them and give them the chance to feel good about themselves and to show us whether they have the goods to win a big game or not, versus telling them they just can't, as they aren't talented enough?

IronHog

Quote from: hogsanity on January 09, 2018, 09:47:11 am
As usual, someone is better than the Hogs so they must somehow be cheating.

Nolan Richardson said many years ago, and I may be paraphrasing a bit, the closer you get to where the ships stopped, the better the athletes you find.

It is an uncomfortable conversation for some to have but demographics plays a huge part in college recruiting. Bama, according to their 2017 roster, has 16 LB's on their roster. All but one are at least 6'2" and at least 235lbs. The had they had 5 FR lb's, 6'2" 237, 6'4" 236, 6'4" 237, 6'3" 232, 6'4" 239. All 5 of the fr lbs were from the states of AL, FL, LA.

Just like paying players and S&C some steroid programs are better than others

Don't be obtuse 
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

GohogsGoWps

🤦🏼‍♂️

hogsanity

Quote from: IronHog on January 09, 2018, 10:22:10 am
Just like paying players and S&C some steroid programs are better than others

Don't be obtuse 

So every program that has athletes that are bigger and stronger than Hog athletes is using steroids?

steveaustin69

You are stupid. Simple as that

steveaustin69

Quote from: sigpooie on January 09, 2018, 09:07:57 am
This is the same crap I remember hearing in 77. We are not as far away as some would have you believe and this is trash can worthy based on trashing our players by saying they can not make it to a game like this. Horse crap, this team and coaches that know what the hell is going on could put themselves in this game in two years. Anyone  who does not believe this is not a hog fan..

No, I just have a brain.

Been10Hog

This is CRAP!! We can have better players, but it's the Arkansas women's fault. they need to breed better Arkansas boys. the high school coaches need to do a better job of polishing the diamonds in the rough and letting CCM know about them early. That's all!! 8)

steveaustin69

Quote from: Hog10S on January 09, 2018, 09:45:14 am

Do you really think every D1 athlete is equal? Brooks Ellis was a D1 athlete and no doubt worked his ass off and had a desire to be the best. He was also the worst SEC linebacker I have ever seen play the game.  Your complete dismissal of how much athleticism plays a part in winning or not is quite possibly the dumbest thing I have ever read on hogville