Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bama Football Recruiting

Started by jbcarol, February 05, 2016, 07:33:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Carvell_AJC/status/758831573626068992

QuoteJeudy, a 4-star prospect from Deerfield Beach (Fla.) High School, committed to Alabama during a live ceremony Thursday at a restaurant in downtown Fort Lauderdale.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/DrewChamplin/status/758872199377727490

QuoteBuckhorn 2017 middle linebacker Will Ignont appears to be nearing the end of his recruiting journey.

The four-star recruit, who decommitted from Alabama in early June, has narrowed his list to four finalists - Auburn, LSU, Michigan and UCLA - and hopes to commit in the coming month.

6-foot-2, 238-pound Ignont gave Alabama a silent commitment during the spring, but backed off that pledge and re-opened his recruitment.

"It was tough," he said. "But after sitting down and talking to my parents, that just wasn't the best spot or the best fit for me.

"A lot of people say that you have to go to Alabama to go to the NFL or to be successful. But the NFL is full of guys from all over the country, even schools that people have never heard of. They just pave their own way. I think I can do what I've set out to do and accomplish my goals without going to the University of Alabama."

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/759075764989853696

QuoteSouth Florida has been very kind to Alabama the past few years. Not only did Nick Saban win a national title there a few years ago when the Tide crushed Notre Dame, but Bama has loaded up on some superb recruits as well, especially at receiver.

On Thursday night, Alabama added to that haul by getting a commitment from blue-chip wideout Jerry Jeudy, a 6-foot-1, 180-pounder from Deerfield Beach, ranked by most recruiting sites as one of the top 50 prospects in the 2017 recruiting class.

Jeudy picked the Tide over Florida, Miami and FSU, among others. Two years ago, Bama went into South Florida and plucked out Calvin Ridley, who wasted little time last year emerging as the Tide's top receiver. A few years before Ridley, it was Amari Cooper, who blossomed into being a Heisman finalist and first-round NFL pick.

It certainly hasn't hurt the Tide's recruiting prowess in South Florida that Miami has had only one Top 20 finish in the past nine years.

Another recruiting plus for Bama down there has been the work of assistant coach Mario Cristobal, a Miami native and former UM player and coach, who was the primary recruiter for Ridley and Jeudy.

In the past four seasons, Bama's leading receiver has been a South Florida product and it appears that streak has a good chance to extend...

jbcarol

Kedrick James, a 3-star tight end from La Vega High School (Waco, Texas), has committed to Alabama

Quote6-foot-5, 245 pound prospect committed to Alabama over offers from Texas A&M, Arkansas, and of course, Baylor.

James, the nation's No. 12 tight end, becomes Alabama's third commitment of the day, as he joins 4-star offensive guard Kendall Randolph and 3-star defensive back Kyriq McDonald.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Bama commits finally weigh in on the Maurice Smith transfer situation

QuoteVanDarius Cowan: "Dude is going to Georgia? Please, let him go so we can beat them again. I really wish I was at Alabama. But yeah, if he's transferring, I think he should be allowed to go anywhere that a former coach that was at Alabama isn't currently."

Elliot Baker: "I think he should be allowed to transfer wherever he wants. Why shouldn't he able to?"

Thomas Fletcher: "I don't know much about why he wants to leave, but I feel like it would be frustrating not being allowed to. If he really is that unhappy then I can see where he would be upset not being allowed to leave, but on the other hand, you know when you go to a school that people, especially coaches, are going to change and everything might not be the same as when you got there."

jbcarol

Ranking Alabama's 21 commitments from firmest to softest

Quote1) Hunter Brannon, 3-star OG, Cullman, Ala.

Brannon immediately committed to Alabama after earning an offer from the staff at a camp this summer. Brannon's uncles are former Alabama players Wesley, Justin and Taylor Britt.

2) Thomas Fletcher, 2-star LS, Bradenton, Fla.

Fletcher won't take visits elsewhere. His recruitment is over.
"It's a school — and a lot of schools are like this — I can see myself going there if I wasn't playing football," Fletcher said.

16) Najee Harris, 5-star RB, Antioch, Calif.

Harris' every move is going to be closely monitored until he signs his papers and heads off to Alabama. With him being the nation's No. 1 overall player, every top program in the country wants him to flip his commitment.

18) Akial Byers, 4-star DT, Fayetteville, Ark.

Byers is virtually silent when it comes to his recruitment.
Byers will take all five official visits.

21) Aaron Sterling, 3-star DE, Tucker, Ga.

Sterling doesn't know if he's going to take an official visit to the school he's committed to and doesn't know when he'll visit next. South Carolina and Tennessee are recruiting Sterling harder than Alabama. I don't see him in this class.

jbcarol

Andrew Bone ‏@AndrewJBone 4h4 hours ago

More than 20 recruits expected on #Alabama's guest list for Saturday at Jerry World

Recruits from Texas, Louisiana, Alabama, Florida will attend the game at Jerry World

jbcarol

Woody Wommack Verified account
‏@RivalsWoody

Following a visit to N.C. State, I'm told 4-star Tucker, Ga. DE Aaron Sterling has decommitted from Alabama http://rvls.co/2cVSO7J

jbcarol

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/782734279021359104

QuoteFor all of the problems Alabama has in getting many top prospects from Mississippi, Louisiana has been a gold mine for the Crimson Tide.

Top-rated recruits such as Cam Robinson, Tim Williams, Hootie Jones and Shyheim Carter chose Alabama over LSU and the Tigers in recent classes. Now, Alabama has landed another commitment from an elite Louisiana recruit in Dylan Moses.

The 6-foot-2, 235-pound Moses is playing his senior season at the IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., but he's from Baton Rouge. LSU and Alabama offered before his freshman year and Moses was an LSU commit for two years, but the five-star Moses, ranked as the No. 4 recruit in the country, committed to Alabama on Sunday.

HOW IT HAPPENED: Whether Moses went into the weekend intending to commit or if the moment hit him over the weekend is likely something only Moses knows. Alabama felt good about landing him when LSU fired Les Miles, but he said last week he'd take all five of his official visits and commit on Jan. 1. But now he says he's shutting down his recruitment and won't take any more visits. Moses has been to Tuscaloosa many times and he and his family are well-versed in the program. Many thought Alabama was out of the picture in the summer when he said he wasn't sure how he'd fit in, but Alabama and assistant coach Tosh Lupoi never stopped recruiting him. LSU will still have something to say when a new head coach is named, but this was a big win for Alabama.

WHAT IT MEANS: It's a fourth linebacker commitment for Alabama...

jbcarol

NoNC4Tubs

Quote from: jbcarol on October 03, 2016, 05:15:19 pm
Dylan Moses says LSU would have been the school he signed with if Les Miles was still the coach http://sec.news/2dVSFkq

So awbern actually helped Alabama get a five-star commitment...?  8)

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/790659941187129344

I'm sitting here enjoying air conditioning and this kid is outside and apparently has the munchies.

He's a fit.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/806970550870536197

QuoteDaniel Wright, a 4-star safety from Boyd Anderson High School (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.), the former school of current Tide safety Eddie Jackson, flipped his commitment from Florida State to Alabama after receiving an in-home visit from Nick Saban, offensive line coach Mario Cristobal and defensive backs coach Derrick Ansley.

6-foot-2, 187-pound prospect becomes Alabama's 24th commitment in the Class of 2017. Alabama is still ranked No. 1 in the team rankings ahead of an Ohio State.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/808390332064923649

Quote"It's always said [sic] to see a coach leave," Tagovailoa said. "At the same time, you wish him the best and you're correct. It doesn't do anything with my commitment."

It Hurts

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/CecilHurt/status/808725725675225088

I don't cover recruiting on a day-to-day basis, but I know Buggs was a big piece of the DL puzzle for UA.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

PLHawg

Najee Harris and Scarborough next year in the backfield...not even fair.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/819978034082095104

QuoteAlabama holds the nation's No. 1 class, and it doesn't look like the Crimson Tide are going to lose the top spot.

After a drama-filled recruitment over the past few months, the Crimson Tide hung on to the nation's No. 1 overall recruit, 5-star running back Najee Harris. Harris has already enrolled in school...

Who are Alabama's top remaining targets?

5-star defensive tackle Aubrey Solomon
    4-star defensive end LaBryan Ray
    4-star defensive tackle Javon Kinlaw
    4-star defensive tackle Phidarian Mathis
    4-star wide receiver Henry Ruggs III
    4-star wide receiver DeVonta Smith
    4-star JACK Jarez Parks

Geography of Alabama's 2017 recruiting class

Florida (6): Leatherwood, Jeudy, OLB VanDarius Cowan, QB Mac Jones, Fletcher, Wright

Alabama (6): OLB Markail Benton, Robinson, OT Kendall Randolph, Townsend, McDonald, C Hunter Brannon

Texas (4): Shavers, Tennison, TE Kedrick James, CB Jhavonte Dean

California (2): Harris, Baker

Louisiana (3): Moses, OLB Christopher Allen, Buggs

Georgia (1): McKinney

Hawaii (1): Tagovailoa

Kentucky (1): OT Jedrick Wills

Arkansas (1): DT Akial Byers

Arizona (1): K Brandon Ruiz

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/819976316992815109

QuoteWith the loss of assistant Mario Cristobal to Oregon, Alabama is losing one of its most prolific recruiters in the Nick Saban era in Tuscaloosa.

Per 247Sports, Cristobal is ranked as the No. 2 recruiter in this year's recruiting rankings. He was ranked eighth last season and No. 1 in 2014.

His top signees include multiple five-star recruits, including this year's starting offensive tackles in Cam Robinson and Jonah Williams.

The one bright side to Cristobal leaving now? Most of his star pledges in this year's class are already at Alabama...

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/821516769051508736

QuoteNation's No. 2 athlete in the 2018 class has been in daily communication with the Alabama staff since Sept. 1, which was the first day NCAA coaches could communicate with 2018 recruits. Williams called Napier after Cristobal took the Ducks job and told him that he had been thinking about committing but he wasn't sure if he'd be allowed to anymore.

"I am one of the top 2018 kids in the country, and they don't really have an alpha dog, per se, in the class yet," Williams said. "When I was talking to Coach Cristobal before he departed, he told me that I could be that alpha dog and have the 2018 class become the No. 1 class in the nation. I want to do that."

jbcarol

jbcarol

'17 Mandeville 3-star PK Joseph Bulovas gave a verbal to Bama.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/DrewChamplin/status/824432332295827460

QuoteBulovas, a 6-foot, 210-pound kicker from Mandeville, La., announced his commitment to Alabama on Wednesday morning. It came a week after Brandon Ruiz, the Crimson Tide's longtime kicker commit, flipped to Arizona State.

Needing a replacement for the graduated Adam Griffith, they turned to another kicker who impressed at the same Alabama kicking camp last summer where Ruiz earned a scholarship.

Bulovas called that camp the most competitive camp he's ever been a part of, and thought he did enough to earn the offer. Ruiz got it.

Bulovas, a three-star recruit on the 247Sports composite, committed to Georgia Tech. Rivals.com ranks Bulovas as the country's top kicker recruit.

But when Ruiz backed off his pledge, Bulovas was back in the mix. He took an unofficial visit to Alabama last Sunday - keeping it quiet, because he didn't know what to expect - and earned an offer from head coach Nick Saban.

"He explained the situation they were in," Bulovas said Wednesday night after baseball practice. "He offered me a scholarship. Alabama was actually my dream school to start recruiting early in my junior year. When he actually offered me, I felt like this was an opportunity I couldn't pass up."

Bulovas was his team's starting quarterback as a sophomore, leading Mandeville to a 9-1 record, but focused on kicking after that because he knew that was his future.

He announced his decommitment from Georgia Tech on Monday, citing another opportunity. That opportunity was Alabama.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/4029AJ/status/826130840954482688

Alan Dickinson ‏@Adickinson33 19h19 hours ago

@4029AJ So that's why Bielema didn't recruit the guy.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

4-star WDE Jarez Parks (Sebastian River, FL) committed to Bama.

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Michael_Carvell 46s46 seconds ago

BREAKING: Alabama beats out LSU for Louisiana All-American WR DeVonta Smith

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/JoeGoodmanJr/status/827165069398175748

QuoteOne high school senior announced he was playing for Alabama on Wednesday with a school ceremony, but the university apparently never received his national letter of intent.

Alabama rolled out the No.1 recruiting class for the seventh cycle in a row on National Signing Day with one national letter of intent after another from blue chips prospects. Not listed among those recruits was Hunter Brannon of Cullman, an offensive lineman who has been committed to Alabama since last summer. Brannon plans to enroll at Alabama this summer and play football, but without a national letter of intent binding him to Alabama.

It's one of the latest trends in recruiting for college coaches, and this year Alabama used the strategy to land a commitment from Brannon, a lifelong fan, and kicker Joseph Bulovas.

The recruiting practice of players enrolling in schools to receive future athletic scholarships is called "blue-shirting." For Alabama, it's the latest sign of just how dominant the program has become on the recruiting trail. Brannon, at 6-4, 300 pounds, could have signed a national letter of intent with multiple other college football teams on Wednesday.

Instead, he's essentially walking on at Alabama until a scholarship is available.

"I'm just ready to be one of the guys," Brannon said.

2:22 p.m., with Cullman High School already out for the day and surrounded by family and friends, Brannon ceremoniously signed with Alabama, but his commitment to Saban will not count against Alabama's limit of 85 total scholarships. His future scholarship, if he indeed "blue shirts," could count against the 2018 recruiting class.

Alabama is allowed under NCAA rules to "blue shirt" Brannon because Saban never took an in-home visit to the Brannons' home in Cullman, and Brannon never took an official visit, paid for by the university, to the University of Alabama.

But that doesn't mean Brannon is unknown.