Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tennessee Football Recruiting

Started by jbcarol, February 05, 2016, 07:20:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ALLVOL

Very fruitful day for Jones and crew.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/wesrucker247/status/744934808468488192

QuoteHis father, Cornelius Bennett, starred as an outside linebacker for Alabama from 1983-86. He played in the NFL from 1987-2000 including being a star for the Buffalo Bills on their four Super Bowl teams.

Bennett is the 18th verbal commit in the 2017 class for Tennessee.

Vols plan to sign six defensive linemen this cycle.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Carvell_AJC/status/745980505946992640

Quote"I thought 'Orange Carpet' was just a name for the recruiting (event), but there really was an orange carpet you walked down.

"We didn't know anything about it, but we walk in, and there's a DJ there going crazy, and then Coach Jones is right there, and the next thing I know I'm doing some interview."

The interview was with a UT staff member — the event was closed to the media — and games and contests followed throughout the afternoon.

Coleman, now 6-foot-1 and 213 pounds at West Monroe (La.) High School, visited for Tennessee's "Junior Day" on March 5.

"I wanted to come up again and make sure they still have all that love and passion for me," Coleman said. "As far as picking Tennessee, you are evaluating what type of back you are and how your style relates to the programs.

"Tennessee likes to put their backs in space, not just a straight hand-off team. So they'll run screens, some read options and I really like the handoffs out of the shotgun (formation)."

Coleman said he's more confused than disappointed with his recruiting rating: "Yeah, those ratings must not be updated, because I'm the top back in this state..."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ALLVOL on June 19, 2016, 04:39:07 pm
Very fruitful day for Jones and crew.

Looks very much at this point like an Arkansas class - heavy on the 3*s.  Not that that's a bad thing at all; maybe Sergeant Carter can coach 'em up and turn 'em into blue chippers.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

ALLVOL

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on June 23, 2016, 09:56:58 am
Looks very much at this point like an Arkansas class - heavy on the 3*s.  Not that that's a bad thing at all; maybe Sergeant Carter can coach 'em up and turn 'em into blue chippers.
They will be the base like in years past. Most 4 and 5* kids wanna be wine and dined and have their "cap selection" moment. We're pretty solid on several highly rated kids.

ALLVOL

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on June 23, 2016, 09:56:58 am
Also it's suspected that several of those 3* kids will be raised later to 4* later once the season starts. But hell, who knows.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ALLVOL on June 23, 2016, 11:56:40 am
Also it's suspected that several of those 3* kids will be raised later to 4* later once the season starts. But hell, who knows.

Everybody says that about their 3*s. 
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

ALLVOL

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on June 23, 2016, 12:18:44 pm
Everybody says that about their 3*s. 
Absolutely. I was talking about what 24/7 stated about some of them. But honestly who knows. They have some of them less than a half a point from 4*.
But the 4 and 5's will sign later if history with Jones holds true.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ALLVOL on June 23, 2016, 12:38:51 pm
Absolutely. I was talking about what 24/7 stated about some of them. But honestly who knows. They have some of them less than a half a point from 4*.
But the 4 and 5's will sign later if history with Jones holds true.

Is he gonna figger out a way to sign about 45 kids in this class like he has the last couple of years?

ALLVOL

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on June 23, 2016, 04:18:41 pm
Is he gonna figger out a way to sign about 45 kids in this class like he has the last couple of years?
LOL well we actually had a smaller class last year JR.

jbcarol

Tennessee nabbed a commitment from 3-star 2017 offensive tackle Riley Locklear on Saturday

QuoteLocklear is listed at 6-foot-5 and 290 pounds and hails from Huntington, W.Va. Locklear also had offers from Penn State, Cal and Florida State.

Volunteers now have 18 commitments for the class of 2017, and rank 11th in 247Sports Composite rankings.

jbcarol

Jeremy Lewis, a 3-star 2016 prospect from Lone Grove (Ok.) High School, enrolled at Tennessee for the second semester of summer classes

QuoteThe 6-foot-1, 193-pound tailback previously committed to Arkansas State last July. The nation's 126th running back also held offers from Nebraska, Tulsa and Ohio...

Lewis is expected to be added to Tennessee's official roster in time for preseason camp on Aug. 1.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Carvell_AJC/status/755944146955800577

QuoteCotman is the 21st verbal commit in Tennessee's 2017 recruiting class, now ranked No. 11 nationally — per 247Sports.

Former Miami interim head coach and Vols tight ends coach Larry Scott reportedly played a key role in Cotman's recruitment.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/RyanCallahan247/status/756329248072269824

QuoteThree-star senior wide receiver from Hattiesburg (Miss.) High School committed to Tennessee on Thursday night during his visit with the Vols, choosing them over Alabama and scholarship offers from several other major programs, including LSU, Ole Miss, Mississippi State and Auburn.

6-foot-1, 168-pound Murphy gave Tennessee its 22nd commitment for the 2017 class, its fourth in the past three days and its third from a projected wide receiver, joining three-star prospects Princeton Fant of La Vergne, Tenn., and Jacquez Jones of Clearwater, Fla.

"I knew I was going to commit today," said Murphy, who's ranked the nation's No. 435 overall prospect and No. 64 wide receiver in the 247Sports Composite for the 2017 class.

jbcarol

Cheshire Academy (Conn.) signal caller CJ Lewis, a 3-star prospect, committed to the Vols on Saturday

Quote6-foot-4, 205-pound prospect is ranked as the nation's 40th dual-threat quarterback.

Lewis, who attended UT's 'Orange & White Game' in April, also held offers from Boston College, UConn and Buffalo

Lewis is Tennessee's 23rd commit of the 2017 class, ranking No. 10 in the country —

https://twitter.com/UTCoachJones/status/756990804955193345

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Carvell_AJC/status/758109869744525312

QuoteVolunteers landed Thompson Station (Tenn.) Independence wideout Kendrell Surry on Tuesday evening — their first commit in the Class of 2019.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Carvell_AJC/status/759126626076618752

Quote"I don't think I've ever seen a team recruit their class this fast before. Player stars aside, what's the overall deal with Butch's recruiting tactics of late?

Excellent question and one many Tennessee fans obviously have right now after the Volunteers flurry of five 2017 commits just last week. As of today, UT has 23 verbal commits. But that's the key, they're not-binding right now. Recruiting is fluid...

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/patrickbrownTFP/status/759048944362123264

Marc Givler
‏@MarcGivlerBG

#Rivals100 QB Emory Jones commits to #OhioState #Buckeyes

jbcarol

Tennessee will have an additional punter on its roster for 2016, as Brandon Nickle announced his intention to play for the Volunteers this season.

Nickle a 5-foot-10, 180-pound prospect from Oak Ridge, Tenn., had committed to Virginia Tech in April, but he declined to enroll at the school over the summer.

Quote"Over the past few weeks it looked as if I might not be able to continue my football career in college. However, I was lucky enough to be recruited once again by my dream school. I feel extremely blessed to announced that I will be continuing my education and football career at the University of Tennessee!"

jbcarol

Which Tennessee 3-star commits will earn a higher ranking?

QuoteTennessee has 20 prospects currently ranked as 3-stars — tied for the most in the country.

Following summer camps, players move up and down lists. This fall, some will again see their stocks rise after strong senior seasons, while others will drop due to injuries, subpar showings, etc.

As for Tennessee's commits who could reasonably earn a composite 4th star this fall: Florida athlete CJ Cotman, who is ranked just outside the Top 300 and was once a consensus 4-star prospect, versatile linebacker Jaquan Henderson from Newton High (Ga.), Hattiesburg wideout Jordan Murphy, Louisiana cornerback Cheyenne Labruzza and Hardin County defensive end LaTrell Bumphus.

jbcarol

Volunteers selling a 'lifetime legacy' to in-state recruits

Quote"In-state recruiting is everything," fourth-year coach Butch Jones said Friday during the team's annual Media Day.

"We have to find the right fit for the University of Tennessee. ... But it all does start in-state. In-state recruiting is very, very important to us. There's a responsibility that comes along with a young man staying in-state and playing here."

With that said, Jones knows he must flip a recent trend, as too many in-state blue-chippers are headed elsewhere.

In 2016, Tennessee signed just two of the state's top 15 prospects. The Vols 2017 class includes just four of the state's top 20 recruits. While Lane Kiffin recently trolled Tennessee over its in-state struggles, the narrative could be reshaped in 2018.

"When a young man stays at home and represents his home state, his home institution, that's a lifetime legacy," Jones said.

"That's something that you're going to want to come live in this state and be remembered forever. To me, that's what it's all about."

jbcarol

Nashville native Ty Chandler — a 4-star standout from Montgomery Bell Academy — committed to the Volunteers over Ole Miss, Auburn and others

QuoteChandler instantly becomes Tennessee's highest-ranked playmaker in the Class of 2017. He is the 24th commit overall, and the second tailback

jbcarol

'17 John Ehret 3-star CB, Terrell Bailey gave a verbal to the Vols.

Bailey is currently the 21st ranked player in Louisiana for the '17 class.

He is the 25th commit for the Vols.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/JesseReSimonton/status/781219308995162112

QuoteCade Mays has been going to Tennessee games since he was a little boy.

Now a 6-foot-5, 310-pound Volunteers commit, the 5-star UT legacy and Knoxville Catholic star can't recall Neyland Stadium ever rocking as hard as it did Saturday during Tennessee's thrilling comeback win over Florida.

"That was definitely the best environment I've ever seen in Neyland Stadium," Mays told me.

Mays, who committed to Tennessee over a year ago, is the No. 11 prospect in the Class of 2018, so the 5-star offensive tackle has assumed the role of headline recruiter for the Volunteers.

Mays has relished in the responsibility, too, fulfilling a family legacy set by his father and uncle. Kevin Mays, Cade's dad, was Tennessee's team captain in 1994, earning All-SEC honors as an offensive lineman. His uncle played for the Vols, too.

This summer, Mays' first target was 4-star Coffee County athlete Alontae Taylor.

Both Mays and Taylor have identified a ballyhooed bunch of targets, with prospects spanning the '17, '18 and '19 classes.

During the Florida game, Taylor sat with nearly a dozen Tennessee 2017 commits, and the group made sure the surrounding top targets took notice.

"We were out there recruiting," Taylor said.

"There were times when we made a big play and we — I was sitting with all the 2017 commits in a big group — and we just turned around and looked at Deangelo Gibbs and threw our hands up like, 'What's up? What are you going to do.' We pointed at Trey Smith and were like, 'What's up? It's the place to be. Why not Tennessee?'"

Smith, an offensive tackle from University School, remains Tennessee's most important remaining target in the 2017 class.

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Michael_Carvell 50s50 seconds ago

Smoke Signals: The Peach State pipeline has paid dividends for Tennessee, so who are some future Georgia targets? https://www.seccountry.com/tennessee/smoke-signals-the-peach-state-pipeline-has-paid-dividends-for-tennessee-so-who-are-some-future-georgia-targets

QuotePeach State — especially Atlanta — remains a fertile pipeline for Tennessee to mine top-shelf talent.

No. 11 Volunteers could start six Georgia natives on Saturday in Athens: Josh Dobbs, [Bama transfer and] tailback Alvin Kamara, safety Micah Abernathy, freshman cornerback Bay Buchanan, tight end Jason Croom and kick returner Evan Berry [Tennessee legacy]. Linebacker Cortez McDowell, a Locust Grove product, will play a ton, too.  Of course, Cam Sutton would be listed here if he weren't sidelined with a serious ankle injury.

Under Jones, Tennessee has won some recruiting battles over the in-state Bulldogs — most notably 4-star safety Nigel Warrior, 4-star receiver Preston Williams and 4-star safety Micah Abernathy. But the Volunteers have also benefited from poaching some prospects UGA didn't really recruit — guys like Sutton and McDowell.

Peach State has become such a hot-bed for blue-chip recruits, Georgia simply can't keep'em all, so programs like Tennessee are swooping in and grabbing more than just the leftovers.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/787690444889128960

QuoteAlbany (La.) athlete Cheyenne Labruzza, a future cornerback at Tennessee, injured his knee in a 27-14 win on Friday.

Labruzza told me he thinks he torn his meniscus again — an injury he previously played with for two seasons before opting for surgery last year.

The 3-star prospect, who committed to the Vols over home-state LSU in April, was scheduled to attend the Tennessee-Alabama game on Saturday, but couldn't after the injury.

"I will shake back," Labruzza told me.

jbcarol

Jimmy Hyams ‏@JimmyHyams Oct 15

UT gets 3rd commit for Class of 2018: 3-star junior safety Bryson Richardson of Buford (Ga.). He's 6-1, 185. Attended UT-Bama game.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/788017229572997120

Quote2018 prospect committed to the Volunteers after their 49-10 loss to the top-ranked Crimson Tide, completing a dream he's had for several years.

Tennessee was the second program to offer Richardson, who also attended a Vols satellite camp at his high school in Buford over the summer. The 6-foot, 185-pound junior quickly developed a close relationship with secondary coach Willie Martinez, and the safety couldn't wait to deliver the news to Martinez on Saturday evening.

"After the game, all the coaches were talking to all the recruits, so I pulled coach Martinez aside real quick and said, 'You know, I've thought about it long and hard, I want to be a Vol,'" Richardson recounted.

"He just told me, 'Once you make this decision you have to be 100 percent in.' And I told him, 'Coach, I'm all in. 100 percent.'"

Once Richardson gave Butch Jones the good news, he said the locker room was suddenly "happy" and there were "all smiles and cheers."

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/791460625809571840

QuoteBuckhorn 2017, four-star middle linebacker tweeted tonight that he has committed to Tennessee.

Ignont (6-foot-2, 238 pounds) gave a silent pledge to Alabama in spring, then decommitted in June. He said in August that his top three were Auburn, LSU and UCLA, but Tennessee made a late push and Ignont visited Oct. 15.

Ignont transferred to IMG Academy in Bradenton (Fla.) in January, only to return to New Market and re-join Buckhorn four months later.

Ignont is rated the No. 9 inside linebacker in the country by the 247Sports Composite and is the No. 7 player on AL.com's A-List...

jbcarol

Alontae Taylor ✞
‏@TaeTaylor6

Change of plans I will not be attending any Tennessee games for the remainder of the season .. No Questions please

Paul Fortenberry ‏@Volquest_Paul 54m54 minutes ago

Paul Fortenberry Retweeted Alontae Taylor ✞

2018 Tennessee commitment.

jbcarol

'17 Orlando Jones TE James Brown gave a verbal to Tennessee.

Brown's the 950th ranked player in the nation by 247 Composite

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/795248962349441024

Quote5-foot-11, 188-pounder from Colquitt County High School in Moultrie, Ga., visited the Vols' campus Saturday and committed just five days after receiving a scholarship offer.

A former Louisiana-Lafayette commit, Shamburger reopened his recruitment in July. He selected Tennessee over Ole Miss and Auburn. He becomes Tennessee's 27th commitment for the class of 2017, an he's the third cornerback to commit to the Vols' class.

jbcarol

'17 3-star Warren County OT K'Rojhn Calbert gave a verbal to Tennessee.

He becomes the Vols' 27th hard commit.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Will Sammon ‏@WillSammon Dec 11

by end of today, expectation is HCs of FSU, Georgia, LSU, Ole Miss and Tennessee will have all had in-home visits at some point w/ Cam Akers

jbcarol

jbcarol

Three-star and nation's No. 34-ranked defensive tackle, Matthew Butler committed to Tennessee on Wednesday, giving the Volunteers 26 total commits in the 2017 recruiting class.

QuoteHe's the fifth recruit to commit to the Vols this month. Tennessee also added 5-star offensive tackle Trey Smith, 3-star quarterback Will McBride, 3-star inside linebacker Shanon Reid and 3-star defensive end Deandre Johnson.

Jackrabbit Hog

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/815201992511549442

QuoteMaleik Gray has been committed to Tennessee since June, but the 4-star safety from LaVergne plans to give one school another look before making his final college choice.

The nation's No. 63 prospect confirmed to SEC County that he will take an official visit to Florida State the weekend of Jan. 18-20.

"I am," Gray said Friday.

"I want to see if I feel comfortable at the university. How do I get along with the players and the rest of the coaching staff? I just want to make sure I truly feel comfortable."

Gray has been courted by FSU — once an early leader in his recruitment — since he was in the ninth grade. He's forged relationships with 'Noles assistants Randy Sanders and Charles Kelly.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/SECCountryVols/status/817391869671903232

How will Tennessee's offensive coordinator change impact recruiting?

Josh Ward talks with Jesse Simonton about all things Vols recruiting, including Mike DeBord's departure.

They also discuss Tennessee's biggest needs in the 2017 class with a just a month before National Signing Day.

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/JimmyDetail/status/818823650338017281

QuoteAlbany athlete Cheyenne Labruzza decided to shut down his recruitment, and remain with the Tennessee Volunteers' recruiting class, cancelling all of his official visits, including the trip to LSU scheduled to begin January 13.

Labruzza committed to Tennessee following an unofficial visit during its spring game, and stayed firm in his verbal pledge, despite engaging with LSU and Oklahoma State in recent months. Labruzza has been a major target for the Tigers, who liked him as a versatile defensive back who could play cornerback or safety.

I am fully committed to the University of Tennessee !! [?] #GoVols
    -- Cheyenne Labruzza (@bruzzaaa) January 10, 2017

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

'17 Bartow sub-.8 RB Timothy Jordan gave a verbal to the Vols.

Tennessee has 27 commits (five early enrollees and 22 "hard commits") at the moment.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: jbcarol on January 24, 2017, 10:26:37 am
'17 Bartow sub-.8 RB Timothy Jordan gave a verbal to the Vols.

Tennessee has 27 commits (five early enrollees and 22 "hard commits") at the moment.

So Butch has roughly half his class put together.  Kudos, Sergeant Carter.

jbcarol