Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tennessee Football Recruiting

Started by jbcarol, February 05, 2016, 07:20:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

SEC Network ‏@SECNetwork 20h20 hours ago

Rocky Top's 2016 class features the nation's #1 athlete and #1 JC DE: http://bit.ly/1SL8C9k 

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Tee Higgins®
‏@teehiggins5

It was a tough decision...

Patrick Brown ‏@patrickbrownTFP 12h12 hours ago

Patrick Brown Retweeted Tee Higgins®

Local star and Tennessee commitment Tee Higgins reopens recruitment but will still consider #Vols.

Vols were always going to have a fight on their hands with Higgins, committed or not, given his talent.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Wes Rucker ‏@wesrucker247 18h18 hours ago

Interesting that Kongbo told @RyanCallahan247 his final three, in order, were #Vols, USC and Florida State. No mention of Ole Miss. Weird.

jbcarol

Jimmy Hyams ‏@JimmyHyams 22h22 hours ago

While UT signed only 3 instate players, it had commits from 3 of top 25 that went JUCO (Dorian Banks, Darel Middleton, Emmit Gooden).

UT offered/would take 5 instate that went elsewhere: WR Dillon Mitchell, OL Bryce Matthews, WR Nate Johnson, LB Tim Hart, DE Tariq Tisdale

jbcarol

Richard Daugherty ‏@RichardTheDrive 17h17 hours ago

Jonathon Kongbo just told us that he will wear number 1 at Tennessee and Khalil McKenzie will be switching to number 99.

jbcarol

Patrick Brown ‏@patrickbrownTFP 16h16 hours ago

Hitchhiking, ice cream cones, pet lizards -- some interesting #Vols recruiting stories. http://bit.ly/1Q02hIq 

QuotePerhaps the best tale from the recruiting trail was running backs coach Robert Gillespie's journey to see Carlin Fils-aime play in Immokalee, Fla., in September. One of the two pilots of the private plane wanted to accompany Gillespie to see Fils-aime play, and Gillespie welcomed him to come along when they landed at the closed regional airport.

"There's no (rental) car," Gillespie recalled during a recruiting celebration with fans at the Tennessee Theatre on Wednesday night. "So he and I start to walk, and we're literally on the side of the street hitchhiking. We can see the stadium. We can see the lights, but it's to far too to walk."

The pilot had the idea to find a mechanic's shop.

"There are three guys in there working on a car that do not speak English," Gillespie said. "The (pilot) looks at me and says, 'Coach Gillespie, I've got this. Let me handle it.' He goes in there and says, 'Hey, I have Coach Gillespie with me from Tennessee.' Those guys look at him like, 'We don't give a care who Gillespie is.'"

Then Gillespie took matters into his own hands.

"I said, 'I've got 20 bucks for anybody who can get us to the football game,'" he recalled, "and they said, 'Si, señor.'"

Once Gillespie and the pilot got to the game — already in progress — the pilot asked him which one was Fils-aime. As he asked the question, the Naples High School running back caught a swing pass and took it for a long touchdown.

"That's Carlin,'" Gillespie told the pilot. "He looks at me and says, 'No one would ever believe the journey we got to get here and see that touchdown.'"

Arizona Western College defensive end Jonathan Kongbo was the biggest of Tennessee's late additions, and head coach Butch Jones' visit to the top junior college prospect produced a memorable picture Kongbo posted on Twitter.

In the photo, he posed with Jones, Gillespie, defensive line coach Steve Stripling and new defensive coordinator Bob Shoop. All were holding ice cream cones. Shoop dubbed it "ice cream on the border" on Wednesday.

"A home visit can last anywhere from an hour to four hours," Jones said. "I think we broke the record with Kongbo. That was about eight hours.

"Coach Gillespie was a warrior, was relentless," he added. "That was about an eight-to-nine-hour trip, from eating tacos in the desert to butter pecan ice cream in the desert."

During one round of in-home visits, Jones said he had three home-cooked meals from the recruit's families...

jbcarol

Jonathan Kongbo III ‏@King_Kongbo 25m25 minutes ago

Laughing at these rumours and the "sources". It's simple we going to win championships at Tennessee #GBO

Daniel Paulling ‏@DanielPaulling 24m24 minutes ago

Can confirm @DavidRebels247 report that four-star DE Jonathan Kongbo has NOT signed his NLI with Tennessee.

However, I believe there's very little chance Kongbo goes somewhere other than UT. Ole Miss wasn't even in his top three.

ALLVOL

Kongbo is going to Ktown. No worries.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ALLVOL on February 09, 2016, 12:59:54 pm
Kongbo is going to Ktown. No worries.

You guys win the recruit name contest this year.  I'd love to line up a Kongbo (great wrestling name..) and a Warrior on defense.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

ALLVOL

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on February 09, 2016, 04:16:44 pm
You guys win the recruit name contest this year.  I'd love to line up a Kongbo (great wrestling name..) and a Warrior on defense.
Unique names to say the least.

jbcarol

Josh Ward ‏@Josh_Ward 2h2 hours ago

Tennessee fans can breathe now: Jonathan Kongbo has signed his National Letter of Intent with UT, per @wesrucker247.

jbcarol

Tennessee's junior day will be about more than just juniors on Saturday. The Vols will host some of the top prospects around the region from all high school grade levels.

QuoteThe highest rated prospect in the state of Tennessee, JaCoby Stevens, is scheduled to be in town. The five-star prospect from Oakland High School (Murfreesboro, Tenn.) is the No. 1 rated athlete prospect in the country and No. 1 overall prospect in the state. He has shown strong interest in Georgia lately.

One of the highest rated prospects scheduled to be in Knoxville, Tenn., is four-star defensive lineman Eric Crosby from Ocean Lakes High School (Virginia Beach, Va.).

jbcarol

Tennessee offers second California prospect this week

QuoteVols have offered a scholarship to two California prospects just this week. The latest was defensive end D.J. Johnson from Luther Burbank (Sacramento, Calif.). The four-star prospect received his scholarship offer on Wednesday.

"Honestly I'm not sure how they found me," the 6-foot-5, 240-pound prospect said.

Johnson is the No. 13 weak-side defensive end in the country and the No. 19 prospect in California. Tennessee also offered a scholarship to offensive lineman Kanan Ray from Sierra Canyon (Chatsworth, Calif.)...

Ray is the nephew of former Vols linebacker Judd Granzow, who played on Tennessee's 1998 national championship team and is also from California.

jbcarol

Negative recruiting:

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC 27m27 minutes ago

Tennessee's Butch Jones says Vols feeling side effects of Title IX lawsuit on recruiting trail http://sec.news/20TbuC5

QuoteThe football coach said the recent run of bad publicity has had an effect. The Vols are facing a Title IX lawsuit that was filed by six unidentified women against the university alleging that Tennessee has created a "hostile sexual environment". Since the suit became public, Tennessee's football team has had two former players and a current player arrested on serious charges.

"Our competitors are using it against us," Jones said during a press conference involving all 16 head coaches at Tennessee. "That's why we're having a number of unofficial visitors."

jbcarol

Landing Nigel Warrior was a monstrous, late addition to Tennessee's 2016 class. The four-star defensive back from Peachtree Ridge High School (Suwanee, Ga.) added another standout to the class and yet another legacy commitment for the Vols.

Warrior's father, former Vols defensive back star Dale Carter, was certainly proud of his son. However, the decision to sign with Tennessee wasn't a given until many coaching changes occurred among Warrior's other suitors, namely LSU, Alabama and Georgia.

Quote"The coaching changes helped (the Vols) because it made everything a little dysfunctional," Warrior's mother, Tangie Warrior, told SEC Country. "I think he just felt home at Tennessee."

Did you cut some media off? Yes, I did. I cut off Rivals. They didn't like me for that. Three people would call me in the same day. They would call me at least four times a week. That's why my ranking is so bad on Rivals, because they did not like me whatsoever. I know that for a fact.

Which school disappointed you the most during recruiting? Oregon.

jbcarol

Kevin Wright ‏@CoachWrightIMG 2h2 hours ago Bayshore Gardens, FL

Today in an unprecedented move @Vol_Football offered 20 IMGAFootball players

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: jbcarol on February 26, 2016, 01:19:21 pm
Kevin Wright ‏@CoachWrightIMG 2h2 hours ago Bayshore Gardens, FL

Today in an unprecedented move @Vol_Football offered 20 IMGAFootball players

That might be the most bizarre thing I've ever seen in recruiting.  Talk about putting all your eggs in one basket...
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

ALLVOL

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on February 26, 2016, 01:52:38 pm
That might be the most bizarre thing I've ever seen in recruiting.  Talk about putting all your eggs in one basket...
Nothing to lose really and makes news that doesn't involve lawyers. 

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ALLVOL on February 26, 2016, 03:29:12 pm
Nothing to lose really and makes news that doesn't involve lawyers.

Well, that's true.  Distract and deflect.

Seriously though, I realize that IMG is one of those football prep schools, along the lines of Oak Hill Academy and basketball, but offering half their roster??  It's not exactly offering a 13 year old a scholarship like Kiffin did, but it's along those lines.

ALLVOL

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on February 26, 2016, 03:41:02 pm
Well, that's true.  Distract and deflect.

Seriously though, I realize that IMG is one of those football prep schools, along the lines of Oak Hill Academy and basketball, but offering half their roster??  It's not exactly offering a 13 year old a scholarship like Kiffin did, but it's along those lines.
I think this is a PR stunt more than anything else.

jbcarol

The Dave Hooker Show ‏@DaveHookerShow 23h23 hours ago

Tennessee offers 20 prospects a scholarship – all from one school http://trib.al/hHQwF4r

QuoteTennessee seems to like the talent at IMG Academy.

The Vols extended scholarship offers to 20 prospects enrolled in the private school in Bradenton, Fla., on Friday. Tennessee offered 13 prospects in the 2017 class, six in the 2018 class and one from the Class of 2019, according to a tweet by IMG head coach Kevin Wright, who called the move "unprecedented".

jbcarol

Vols will direct their attention to out-of-state prospects this weekend for their second junior day of the year.

QuoteWhile most prospects are still relatively close to Knoxville, Tenn., at least two will have to make a long trip to check out the Vols: four-star defensive end Zachary Carter from Hillsborough High School (Tampa, Fla.) and four-star offensive tackle Grayson Reed from Cypress Creek High School (Houston, Texas).

Vols will also try to test the dedication that four-star safety Xavier McKinney from Roswell (Ga.) High School has to Alabama. He committed to the Crimson Tide in September but that was before Kirby Smart left the Tide to become the head coach at Georgia.

Several states, outside of Tennessee, will be represented on Saturday. Four-star receiver Trey Blount from Pace Academy (Powder Springs, Ga.), four-star receiver/safety Hamsah Nasirildeen from Concord (N.C.) High School, four-star cornerback Amir Riep from Colerain High School (Cincinnati, Ohio), four-star tight end Logan Rudolph from Northwestern High School (Rock Hill, S.C.), four-star defensive end Jordan Williams from Frank W. Cox (Virginia Beach, VA) and four-star offensive tackle Jedrick Wills from Lafayette High School (Lexington, Ky.) are all expected to attend.

The Vols will host two four-star prospects from Bishop Sullivan Catholic (Virginia Beach, Va.): defensive tackle Breyon Gaddy and linebacker Teradja Mitchell.

jbcarol

Tennessee picked up a commitment for its 2017 class when 6-foot-2, 216-pound Conyers, Ga. linebacker De'Morreal "Mo" Burnham decided he wants to join the Vols.

QuoteChose Tennessee over reported scholarship offers from Charlotte, Cincinnati, Florida State and Louisville, among others.

He is the lone commitment for Tennessee in the Class of 2017. Vols have had a few other players in this class committed, including quarterback Hunter Johnson, wide receiver Tee Higgins and defensive lineman Jordon Riley, but they have all since de-committed.

jbcarol

UGA Class of 2017 linebacker commit Jaden Hunter took an unofficial visit to Tennessee this weekend with a teammate

Openly said he was there basically to recruit for UGA.

QuoteHe also said "Go Dawgs" two times inside the meeting room in Knoxville and let out a huge grin after his first try and put some bass in it. The 4-star linebacker also shared what was on his mind when he went to Neyland Stadium.

"So we went to the field right and I really could imagine myself catching a Pick-6 against them," Hunter also told his viewers on Periscope. "And the whole crowd going silent after I catch that."

https://twitter.com/head9hunter/status/706269095738646528

jbcarol

Tennessee picked up its second commitment in a week for the 2017 class when Chase Rogers decided to announce his commitment via Twitter

QuoteThe three-star tight end prospect from St. Stanislaus (Bay St. Louis, Miss.) is the No. 33 tight end in the country...

Linebacker De'Morreal (Mo) Burnam from Salem High School (Conyers, Ga.) committed to Tennessee late Saturday evening.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC 1h1 hour ago

Recruiting Rewind with Jonathan Kongbo: "I committed to Florida State" http://sec.news/22A8Zus

QuoteJonathan Kongbo may have been Tennessee's most significant signee in the 2016 class.

First, the defensive end from Arizona Western Junior College (Yuma, Ariz.) plays an impact position. Second, based upon his recruiting ranking as the top junior college prospect in the nation, he should be able to provide an immediate impact this season as the Vols try to reach sky-high expectations. Lastly, the Vols kept him away from bitter rival Alabama.

I didn't find I wanted to go to Tennessee until that Monday morning (before National Signing Day on Wednesday). I was kind of committed to Florida State...I committed to Florida State on my visit. I kept it low key, but I switched it up.

jbcarol

Wes Rucker ‏@wesrucker247 Mar 26

Wes Rucker Retweeted Trevor Lawrence

Nation's No. 1 overall prospect in 2018 @247Sports Composite in Knoxville again and enjoying himself again.

https://twitter.com/Trevorlawrencee/status/713792438880624640

jbcarol

Eric Josephs ‏@UTEricJosephs 22h22 hours ago

Please See Below: #VOLS🍊🍊🍊

Wes Rucker ‏@wesrucker247 21m21 minutes ago

#Vols have hired @UTEricJosephs, formerly from The U, as their new director of recruiting: http://bit.ly/1M77RHz

jbcarol

Tyler Byrd's late decision to sign with Tennessee instead of Miami was one of the surprises in the 2016 recruiting class. Suddenly, the Vols had plucked a four-star prospect from South Florida...

QuoteMiami's former interim head coach, Larry Scott, was suddenly the tight ends coach at Tennessee. Byrd's recruitment was a roller-coaster ride, one that Byrd wishes he would have handled a bit differently.

It would be to wait until you know for sure that's the school you want to go to and then make a commitment. Take all of your official visits, all of your unofficial visits and just weigh your options out fully before committing to a school.

University of Miami for sure came in second. I think really the player's environment was a lot different.  I think there was more togetherness from Tennessee. Miami might get to the point where they are together, but Tennessee already has that togetherness.

jbcarol

SportsTalk ‏@sportstalksc 9h9 hours ago

SportsTalk Retweeted yeti27

#STRecruiting:  LB Eric Crosby of Virginia Beach, VA is down to Tennessee and Virginia Tech. Clemson & USC offered.

https://twitter.com/ekm2781/status/719282948264960000

jbcarol

KD Nixon, a four-star wide receiver from DeSoto (Texas) High School, announced his commitment to Tennessee

5-foot-8, 182-pounder's commitment is the third of the day for the Vols

QuoteFour-star prospect is the No. 38 prospect in the state of Texas and No. 34 wide receiver recruit in the nation.... He chose Tennessee over more than 15 programs, including Ohio State, Texas, TCU, Oklahoma and Missouri.

Nixon becomes the sixth member of the Vols' 2017 recruiting class and their only commit with more than three stars.

jbcarol

Wes Rucker ‏@wesrucker247 3h3 hours ago

Names of #Vols' commits: Solon Page III, Cheyenne Labruzza, Marquez Bembry, Mo Burnam, Chase Rogers. World-class set of names there.

jbcarol

Wes Rucker ‏@wesrucker247 3h3 hours ago

Wes Rucker Retweeted GoVols247

Second commit of the day for #Vols.

GoVols247
‏@GoVols247

Louisiana CB @bruzzaaa commits to #Vols during visit for spring game: (FREE) http://bit.ly/23FsylQ

jbcarol

Tennessee made a big addition to its 2017 recruiting class on Friday with the commitment of Ocean Lakes (Virginia Beach, Va.) four-star defensive tackle Eric Crosby.

Crosby, a 6-foot-1, 285-pound lineman and the No. 6 defensive tackle in the nation

QuoteCrosby is the seventh commit for the Class of 2017 for the Vols and the highest-rated member of the class, along with four-star wide receiver KD Nixon. The commitment bumped Tennessee into the top 25 of 247 Sports' recruiting rankings for 2017.

jbcarol

Jimmy Hyams ‏@JimmyHyams 23h23 hours ago

If there is an area UT has hit harder since Jones' first year, it is Virginia Beach. Landed DT Eric Crosby; pursuing other touted recruits

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/GoVolsXtra/status/738791985331482624

QuoteDuring a speaking engagement at Mercedes-Benz of Knoxville on Friday morning, the Tennessee football coach admitted the car he drives makes an impact on the recruiting trail.

"Kids judge you by your car," Jones told the crowd. "It's crazy. "I was joking with another fellow SEC coach because the SEC Network came in and did a feature. They first did a feature on his car. So when they came to Knoxville, they did a feature on my car. My SLS."

The SLS carries a sticker price of $221,580 and features a 6.2 liter V-8 engine and Gull-wing doors that open vertically.

Jones, who wasn't made available to reporters during the appearance, clarified later Friday through UT spokesperson Ryan Robinson that the sports car he drives is a Mercedes S-Class Coupe, not an SLS, and is a private lease. An S-Class Coupe carries an MSRP value of $121,550.

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn made headlines in March after buying a BMW i8 and taking Tray Bishop, a four-star athlete according to 247Sports, for a ride during a visit.

https://twitter.com/GrantRamey/status/738755829898334208

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Carvell_AJC/status/743074714453692416

QuoteKnoxville Catholic cornerback Jeffery Wood was named "the fastest man in Tennessee" by Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh during Tuesday night's satellite camp at Oakland (Murfreesboro) High. The relatively unknown 5-foot-9 recruit blew past the rest of the field — which included dozens of future Division I players — in two separate competitions measuring speed and agility.

Wood said he currently has offers from a pair of Division II schools and has developed strong relationships with Tennessee-Chattanooga and Memphis.

We caught up with Wood moments after he finished a post-camp conversation with Michigan tight ends coach Jay Harbaugh, who first noticed the Knoxville prospect this spring.

Wood told SEC Country he also spoke with the Tennessee staff on Tuesday night. Earlier this year, he impressed Volunteers coach Butch Jones at a Knoxville Catholic-Oakland scrimmage.

"He told me that he likes the way I play," Wood said.

Wood, who transferred from Farragut before his sophomore year, effectively missed two seasons of varsity football before being able to get his blazing speed on film.

His "dream school" is Arizona State. He attended a recent Sun Devils camp and maintains a relationship with defensive backs coach TJ Rushing.

"I like hot weather," Wood said. "I wanted to play down in Florida, but I don't like the humidity..."

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol