Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kevaughn Allen Iverson (Shot Volume-wise)

Started by The Hogfather, November 27, 2015, 10:04:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hoglady

Quote from: The Hogfather on January 27, 2016, 08:53:55 am
I still say he's just a high volume shooter who can shoot you into and out of games.  Normally, he starts off missing a bunch of shots, helping to dig his team a hole, and then makes a ton in garbage/desperation time, making his percentages and ppg numbers look decent.  If that's what you consider good/great, fine.

I've liked Kevaughn better than most on this board since last year in high school.
Time will tell.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

The Hogfather

Quote from: hoglady on January 27, 2016, 08:59:11 am
I've liked Kevaughn better than most on this board since last year in high school.
Time will tell.

Good for you.  I hope it works out for you.

hoglady

Quote from: The Hogfather on January 27, 2016, 09:00:12 am
Good for you.  I hope it works out for you.

It has nothing to do with me.
It's just an opinion that happens to differ from yours about the kid's playing ability.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Hawg Red

Quote from: The Hogfather on January 27, 2016, 08:53:55 am
I still say he's just a high volume shooter who can shoot you into and out of games.  Normally, he starts off missing a bunch of shots, helping to dig his team a hole, and then makes a ton in garbage/desperation time, making his percentages and ppg numbers look decent.  If that's what you consider good/great, fine.

He's on the Wayman Tisdale Watchlist (top freshman in the country). You seem to have a minority opinion on the kid, but to your credit, you're standing your ground. I'm sure it won't be awkward for you when he's named All-SEC next season.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 27, 2016, 09:07:21 am
He's on the Wayman Tisdale Watchlist (top freshman in the country). You seem to have a minority opinion on the kid, but to your credit, you're standing your ground. I'm sure it won't be awkward for you when he's named All-SEC next season.

The main measurement for awards like that is PPG.  He's certainly shooting enough to put up a decent amount of points, even if 75% of them are in garbage/desperation time.

And, if he makes All-SEC next season, I will certainly admit I was wrong about him, even though they often put a larger emphasis on PPG, like many of the other awards/teams.

Hawg Red

Quote from: The Hogfather on January 27, 2016, 09:14:19 am
The main measurement for awards like that is PPG.  He's certainly shooting enough to put up a decent amount of points, even if 75% of them are in garbage/desperation time.

Then why isn't Malik Newman on that watchlist? I'm sure there are other freshman averaging more PPG than KeVaughn.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 27, 2016, 09:17:57 am
Then why isn't Malik Newman on that watchlist? I'm sure there are other freshman averaging more PPG than KeVaughn.

Oversight?  Not enough garbage buckets?  I don't know.  I'm not privy to that information.

ROASHE

How about that.....KeVaughn only took 8 shots and scored 19 points against the 9th-ranked team in the country and the best defensive team in the country to boot.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=400809416

The_Iceman

The Hogfather

Quote from: ROASHE on January 31, 2016, 06:44:48 am
How about that.....KeVaughn only took 8 shots and scored 19 points against the 9th-ranked team in the country and the best defensive team in the country to boot.

I've tried to reply to this thread about 3 times now, but it wouldn't post.  Not sure what happened.  I was saying that I thought this was his best game yet.  He started the game with 8 quick points (2 threes and a layup).  He cooled off after that (missed all 3 of his remaining 3-point attempts), but hit all of his FTs (9-9) to help his team.

Hawg Red

Quote from: ROASHE on January 31, 2016, 06:44:48 am

And 11 of his 19 points came in the first half, when the outcome was still up for grabs. No "junk points" there.

Hopefully he has an off game on Wednesday, though. Wouldn't mind seeing an 0fer in that one.

ROASHE

Quote from: The Hogfather on February 01, 2016, 11:05:42 am
I've tried to reply to this thread about 3 times now, but it wouldn't post.  Not sure what happened.  I was saying that I thought this was his best game yet.  He started the game with 8 quick points (2 threes and a layup).  He cooled off after that (missed all 3 of his remaining 3-point attempts), but hit all of his FTs (9-9) to help his team.

I'm still missing the shot volume part. He averages 9 shots a game (which isn't very much in the grand scheme of a game), and a shade under 12 points per game. Not sure why you hate him so much but your arguments hold no water.

jbcarol

Poor shooting dooms Florida vs. Alabama

QuoteFlorida had plenty of trips down the floor, plenty of second chances, to overcome its offensive malaise Saturday against Alabama.

But the Tide's defense stiffened each time, and even with their starting backcourt fouled out, Alabama knocked off the Gators 61-55, winning its first game at the O'Connell Center since 1995.

Florida managed just two field goals in the final 6:02, both from freshman guard KeVaughn Allen, in an ugly offensive performance. While Florida players and coaches were throwing verbal bouquets about Alabama's defensive effort postgame, it didn't erase the fact the Gators finished the game with just five assists to 12 turnovers.

Gators shot a season-low 28.6 percent from the field and 14.3 percent (3-21) from 3-point range. With all the misses, Florida grabbed 23 offensive rebounds but managed just 11 second-chance points, missing countless shots close to the basket. Alabama center Jimmie Taylor played rim protector throughout the game, finishing with 11 points and five blocked shots, helping the Tide (15-9, 6-6 SEC) snap an 11-game losing streak to Florida dating back to 2008.

"For us, unfortunately, we rely on Finney-Smith so much," Florida coach Mike White said. "It's a big burden on him to shoulder. When he's not in a great rhythm, when people don't see him getting baskets and playing with swagger, we don't play with as much confidence. And that's a big problem."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Some observations following Florida's 57-53 win at Georgia

Quote...Florida coach Mike White said he continues to have to remind Allen to stay aggressive throughout the game. "I tell him that 20 times a day," White said. "That's his gift. He can go get baskets, and he's good defensively too. KeVaughn, he's very conscientious, sometimes we need to prod him if he's missed a couple and so-and-so hasn't gotten a touch in a couple of trips. Sometimes he has too much going on in his mind and we have to prod him to be really aggressive."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

David Cloninger ‏@DCTheState  2m2 minutes ago
Allen steps on the line running out the inbound pass. USC ball on its end, 1.5 seconds. Tie game.

The Hogfather

Wonder if they were telling him to shoot all night tonight?  In 32 minutes, 0-7 (0-3 from 3).  3 points, all on FTs.  STUUUUD.

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway ‏@gatorhoops  10m10 minutes ago Texas, USA
KeVaughn Allen finally playing assertive, may be too little, too late.

With 7:50 left, LSU leads Florida 65-52. There have been chances for #Gators to make a run, but not enough offense, missed FTs.

The Hogfather

ROASHE

The Hogfather

The Hogfather

Quote from: hoglady on January 27, 2016, 08:59:11 am
Time will tell.

Kevaughn Iverson started 1-7 and finished 5-16 (2-6 from 3).  I guess they were telling him to shoot all night.

The Hogfather

Last 4 games:  10-37 (27%) and 2-16 (12.5%) from 3.  STUD.

yraciv

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 01, 2016, 08:57:19 pm
Last 4 games:  10-37 (27%) and 2-16 (12.5%).  STUD.

FR wall. rest of FL hasn't been lighting it up lately either

The Hogfather

Quote from: yraciv on March 01, 2016, 09:02:17 pm
FR wall. rest of FL hasn't been lighting it up lately either

Figured that was coming.  He's back to how he started the year.

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway ‏@gatorhoops Mar 1

Beyond the arc: 3 takeaways from Florida's 88-79 loss to Kentucky - http://brockway.blogs.gatorsports.com/13403/beyond-the-arc-3-takeaways-from-floridas-88-79-loss-to-kentucky/ ... (via #sociablesite) http://brockway.blogs.gatorsports.com/13403/beyond-the-arc-3-takeaways-from-floridas-88-79-loss-to-kentucky/ ...

QuoteSome observations following Florida's 88-79 loss to Kentucky:

Freshman shooting guard KeVaughn Allen was more aggressive but couldn't get shots to fall, finishing with 15 points on 5 of 16 shooting.

The Hogfather

I find it a bit humorous that people seem to commend him for being "more aggressive" by shooting more shots, even though he isn't making many.

Last 4 games:  10-37 (27%) and 2-16 (12.5%) from 3

White probably should be telling him to be less aggressive.  :)

The Hogfather

March 05, 2016, 08:47:54 pm #176 Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 09:09:39 pm by The Hogfather
Quote from: The Hogfather on March 03, 2016, 12:46:35 pm
I find it a bit humorous that people seem to commend him for being "more aggressive" by shooting more shots, even though he isn't making many.

Last 4 games:  10-37 (27%) and 2-16 (12.5%) from 3

White probably should be telling him to be less aggressive.  :)

3-12 (1-6 from 3) tonight.  Ended up with 13 points, 4 of which were garbage time FTs.

Last 5 games:  13-49 (26.5%) and 3-22 (13.6%) from 3.  Continuing to be a stud.

Hilarious that a 1-6 night can raise your 3-point % for the last 5 games.

jbcarol

Florida senior forward Dorian Finney-Smith was named to the All-SEC second team Tuesday, while freshman guard KeVaughn Allen was named to the All-SEC freshman team.

Quote6-foot-2 Allen has averaged 11.5 points per game this season. He started all 18 conference games and helped lead UF to a pair of big road wins in conference play at Ole Miss (27 points on 9-of-11 shooting) and at Georgia (19 points on 7-of-13 shooting).

Kentucky sophomore point guard Tyler Ulis was named SEC player of the year, while LSU forward Ben Simmons was named SEC freshman of the year.

The eight-seeded Gators (18-13) open SEC Tournament play Thursday afternoon against ninth-seed Arkansas (16-15, 9-9 SEC).

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway ‏@gatorhoops 52s52 seconds ago Nashville, TN

Allen dribbles off his foot, unforced turnover, ugh.

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway ‏@gatorhoops 14s15 seconds ago Nashville, TN

Big 3-pointer there by KeVaughn Allen to stop Texas A&M's momentum.

jbcarol

Alex Maminakis ‏@alexmaminakis 4m4 minutes ago

Allen misses a tough shot and A&M shooting 2 more FTs leading 70-66. 16.1 seconds remaining

Final: Florida falls to Texas A&M 72-66 in SEC Tournament quarterfinals.

Jordan McPherson ‏@J_McPherson1126 3m3 minutes ago

Jordan McPherson Retweeted Alex Maminakis

Next stop: NIT

jbcarol

Brent Zwerneman ‏@BrentZwerneman 18h18 hours ago Nashville, TN

Final box from Texas A&M 72, Florida 66 in SEC Tourney:

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway ‏@gatorhoops  52m52 minutes ago
Beyond the arc: 3 takeaways from UF's 82-77 loss at George Washington - http://brockway.blogs.gatorsports.com/13427/beyond-the-arc-3-takeaways-from-floridas-82-77-loss-at-george-washington/ ...

Quote– A pair of freshman played well for Florida in its season finale. Freshman guard KeVaughn Allen finished with 22 points, while freshman Kevarrius Hayes matched his career high with 14 points and 6 rebounds. Allen and Hayes will be important players for the Gators to build around in future seasons.

The Hogfather

Quote from: jbcarol on March 23, 2016, 10:14:03 pm
Kevin Brockway ‏@gatorhoops  52m52 minutes ago
Beyond the arc: 3 takeaways from UF's 82-77 loss at George Washington - http://brockway.blogs.gatorsports.com/13427/beyond-the-arc-3-takeaways-from-floridas-82-77-loss-at-george-washington/

Another bad 3-point shooting night from him, though.  2-7 (29%).  If didn't jack up so many 3s, he might be able to be much more effective and efficient.  He was 6-8 (75%) from 2.  Of course, a lot of those shots were layups.  GW wasn't playing much defense from what I saw.  I saw about 15 minutes of it and Florida players were getting to the rim at will.

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 2h2 hours ago

SEC Preseason First-Team: De'Aaron Fox (UK), J.J. Frazier (UGA), Kevaughn Allen (UF), Bam Adebayo (UK), Tyler Davis (A&M).

The Hogfather

Quote from: jbcarol on August 08, 2016, 09:04:19 am

SEC Preseason First-Team: De'Aaron Fox (UK), J.J. Frazier (UGA), Kevaughn Allen (UF), Bam Adebayo (UK), Tyler Davis (A&M).

No telling how many shots he'd have to take to make First Team SEC.  Maybe a couple hundred per game.  Make about 15, giving him a nice, healthy scoring average.  ;)

ShadowHawg

Quote from: jbcarol on August 08, 2016, 09:04:19 am

KA had some of the worst stats against the BEST teams in the league last season. He struggled big time against teams with talented guards. Unless he has gotten much better, there is no way he should be a pre season first teamer.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/gatorhoops/status/794295911711145984

Quote— After going 4 of 10 from the field in last week's preseason game against Eckerd, and 0 of 3 from 3-point range, Florida sophomore guard KeVaughn Allen got on a roll during the intra-squad scrimmage portion of the practice, making three straight 3-point attempts and a 16-foot jumper. "Unitl the Eckerd game, that first three weeks of practice or so, he was shooting it as well as anyone, if not better than anyone," Florida coach Mike White said. "Last couple of days, he's back to that form."

— At the end of practice, John Egbunu and Kasey Hill missed free throws, resulting in the whole team doing sprints. But Hill made two in a row late to end with success. In the same pressure situation, senior forward Justin Leon and Allen made two straight free throws.

The Hogfather

Quote from: jbcarol on November 04, 2016, 09:55:31 am
https://twitter.com/gatorhoops/status/794295911711145984

GREAT practice/garbage time player!  He can fill it up with the best of them when it doesn't matter (he still has to shoot it a bunch).

The Hogfather

However, I did read that this guy is a redshirt freshman on their team!

Keith Stone

jbcarol

The Hogfather

Quote from: jbcarol on November 14, 2016, 07:30:39 am

Yep.  2nd leading scorer.  Only took 12 shots (8 threes) to get to 13 points.

Numbers for the year so far:  5-20 (25%) FGs, 2-11 (18%) threes, 7 assists/5 turnovers (1.4-1), 5 rebounds in 55 total minutes.

jbcarol

The Hogfather

Much better game for him.  He should never shoot more than 9 shots in a game.  I also think he shouldn't shoot 5 or more threes in a single game.  It is almost as if it doesn't matter how many threes he takes in a game because he's only going to make 2.

His last 3 games from 3:  2-8, 2-3, 2-5

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway ‏@gatorhoops 9h9 hours ago Pembroke Pines, FL

White on KeVaughn Allen -- "He was different tonight. I kinda joked with him, that's what we're waiting on. He was in a good rhythm."

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — In the post-game locker room late Thursday night, Florida coach Mike White stared down KeVaughn Allen.

"What have you been waiting for?" White asked.

Allen, as is often the case, just laughed and said little...

QuoteGators stave off Seton Hall for an 81-76 victory in opening-round action of the AdvoCare Invitational Tournament at ESPN's Wide World of Sports. Backup forward Canyon Barry continued to be the UF spark off the bench with 20 points and six rebounds, as the Gators opened a season with five straight wins for the first time since 2012 and did it by beating a rugged yet hardnosed bunch from the Big East...

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway ‏@gatorhoops 6m6 minutes ago Pembroke Pines, FL

Florida 2-14 from 3-pt range, Gonzaga 4-12.

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway ‏@gatorhoops 7h7 hours ago

Cold-shooting UF suffers first loss to No. 11 Gonzaga - via @Gator_sports http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20161125/ARTICLES/161129972?tc=cr ...

QuoteGators couldn't overcome a 2-for-19 shooting night from 3-point range. Gonzaga finished the game 7 of 16 from beyond the arc and shot 60.7 percent from the field in the second half.

"It just seemed like whenever we made a mistake, they made us pay for it, especially from 3," Florida coach Mike White said. "Just never could find a great offensive rhythm and I thought that led to a little bit of offensive stagnancy. We just didn't have the same ball and player movement as we did in the first half."

KeVaughn Allen added 15 points for the Gators, while center John Egbunu had 12 points and forward Canyon Barry scored 12 points off the bench.

Rick Barry said his son suffered a jammed finger before the game, which may have explained his off night (3-9 from the field, 0-3 from 3-point range).

jbcarol

The Hogfather

Let me be the 1st to give him props on a great game against Duke.  If he could play like that consistently, he'd be a really good player.  Specifically, if he would stop shooting so many 3s (and stop shooting as much overall) and focus on driving to the basket, he could be much more effective.