Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kevaughn Allen Iverson (Shot Volume-wise)

Started by The Hogfather, November 27, 2015, 10:04:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Dick Vitale ‏@DickieV 13h13 hours ago

@gatorhoops @Jasonkessler15  Great seeing u Kevin /u r a tireless worker/ Gators need to recruit some shooters
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Hawg Red

Last 4 games, he's averaging 19 points and shooting 35% from 3, 53% from the field overall. Three of those 4 games were against P5 schools. Playing much closer to what he was in high school. Spin it all you want, he starting to settle down. I'd take half that production from Jimmy Whitt right now, but these two guys are going in opposite directions since this thread was first started.

The Hogfather

Yep, he's still shooting a lot, but has made more of them recently.

hoglady

Seems to me Kevaughn has settled in and is more comfortable now than at the beginning of the season.
I will be surprised if he reverts back to his beginning of the season shooting %.
Hogfather got to disagree with you on KA.
He will be more than your run of the mill mediocre SEC player.
There's star potential there.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

The Hogfather

I'm sure many will disagree.  I think he'll end up being an average SEC player, but will have games like these last few because he shoots a lot. 

hoglady

Quote from: The Hogfather on January 03, 2016, 09:29:13 pm
I'm sure many will disagree.  I think he'll end up being an average SEC player, but will have games like these last few because he shoots a lot. 

I think he's shooting a lot because that's what his coach wants him to do.
Time will tell whether he can hold up to it.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

Hawg Red

January 04, 2016, 09:53:07 am #106 Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 01:43:09 pm by Hawg Red
Quote from: The Hogfather on January 03, 2016, 09:29:13 pm

He took 18 shots against FSU. Not more than 11 in any game in that 4 game stretch, and not more than 12 in any other game this season. He's averaging 8.6 shot attempts on the season. That would be 4th if he were on Arkansas' roster (and just 0.1 attempts per game ahead of Beard). He's taking 0.6 shots more per game than Jimmy Whitt.

But he shoots a lot. Sure.

jbcarol

Gatorsports.com ‏@Gator_sports 20h20 hours ago

UF freshman Allen picking up the pace http://bit.ly/1PJ4XbJ

Quote"He's not just a driver," White said. "He's not just a spot-up shooter. He's kind of a volume guy and we need him to be a volume guy. He's got the ability to get in space in transition, when he's in space, he's got tremendous explosive ability, speed and quickness, change of direction, but he's also got ability to sprint into shots. He's got ability to get himself shots on attacks and close outs. So it's really just a little bit of everything for him."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

The Hogfather

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 04, 2016, 09:53:07 am
He took 18 shots against FSU. Not more than 11 in any game in that 4 game stretch, and not more than 12 in any other game this season. He's averaging 8.6 shot attempts on the season. That would be 4th if he were on Arkansas' roster (and just 0.01 attempts per game ahead of Beard). He's taking 0.06 shots more per game than Jimmy Whitt.

But he shoots a lot. Sure.

Volume sounds like "shoots a lot" to me.  Sure, they say they want him to (for now).

Quote from: jbcarol on January 05, 2016, 01:04:24 pm
Gatorsports.com ‏@Gator_sports 20h20 hours ago

UF freshman Allen picking up the pace http://bit.ly/1PJ4XbJ

"He's not just a driver," White said. "He's not just a spot-up shooter. He's kind of a volume guy and we need him to be a volume guy. He's got the ability to get in space in transition, when he's in space, he's got tremendous explosive ability, speed and quickness, change of direction, but he's also got ability to sprint into shots. He's got ability to get himself shots on attacks and close outs. So it's really just a little bit of everything for him."

Hawg Red

Quote from: The Hogfather on January 05, 2016, 01:08:37 pm
Volume sounds like "shoots a lot" to me.  Sure, they say they want him to (for now).

I don't care what "volume" sounds like to you. The FACT of the matter is that he attempts less than 9 shots per game on average. I could make an argument that he doesn't even qualify as a volume shooter. He's attempted 8 more shots this year than Jimmy Whitt, who I sometimes forget is even on the team despite the fact that he might or might not be on the court when I watch the team on any given possession.

Stick to the agenda, though. Cling to any little quote that you think helps you out. Go for it. But the reality is that KeVaughn Allen really doesn't take that many shots.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 05, 2016, 01:38:08 pm
I don't care what "volume" sounds like to you. The FACT of the matter is that he attempts less than 9 shots per game on average. I could make an argument that he doesn't even qualify as a volume shooter. He's attempted 8 more shots this year than Jimmy Whitt, who I sometimes forget is even on the team despite the fact that he might or might not be on the court when I watch the team on any given possession.

Stick to the agenda, though. Cling to any little quote that you think helps you out. Go for it. But the reality is that KeVaughn Allen really doesn't take that many shots.

Volume shooter means the same to anyone with any sort of brain.

I don't really care if you or anyone else agrees with me in regards to Allen.  I think he's going to be an average SEC player.  He has put together a couple of good games.  If he continues to do that throughout his career, I'll eat my words.  As of right now, he's a volume shooter (shoots a lot) who has been making enough for his coach to continue to allow him to be a volume shooter.  That wasn't the case early and I don't expect it to be consistently in the future.

Hawg Red

Quote from: The Hogfather on January 05, 2016, 02:14:21 pm
Volume shooter means the same to anyone with any sort of brain.

I don't really care if you or anyone else agrees with me in regards to Allen.  I think he's going to be an average SEC player.  He has put together a couple of good games.  If he continues to do that throughout his career, I'll eat my words.  As of right now, he's a volume shooter (shoots a lot) who has been making enough for his coach to continue to allow him to be a volume shooter.  That wasn't the case early and I don't expect it to be consistently in the future.

Is Jimmy Whitt a volume shooter?

The_Iceman

Kevaughn Allen in his last 4 games is averaging: (against Georgia, Florida St., Oklahoma St, and Jacksonville)

19.0 ppg, 53% shooting, 2.8 rebs, 1.8 asts, 1.5 stls.

Wish we had that. Great job Mike letting him go.

jbcarol

Mike White figured it was merely a matter of time before shooting guard KeVaughn Allen found his range.

But even White is surprised how honed in the Gators' freshman has been lately.

QuoteWhen coach Billy Donovan bolted for the NBA, White made locking up Allen one of his top priorities before leaving Louisiana Tech for Gainesville.

"I went to KeVaughn's house before I even got to campus, because I was up in Ruston (La.) already," White recalled. "First order of business was an opportunity to sit down with each of the guys who had signed with coach Donovan and his staff. KeVaughn being the closest to Ruston was the first guy we had an opportunity to see as a staff.

The ulimate gym rat, Allen recently was denied access to UF's practice facility because his key card did not work. The reason: it was 4:30 a.m.

hoglady

I think Allen is a really good kid and I sure wish he was a Hog.
I'm glad he's doing well - now I hope he stinks up the floor when Florida and the Hogs play.
I want any kid from Arkansas to be successful - as long as they didn't disrespect the Hogs in the recruiting process.

hoglady

Florida and Tenn are on ESPN2 right now if anyone is interested in watching Allen play.

ricepig

Quote from: hoglady on January 06, 2016, 06:08:36 pm
Florida and Tenn are on ESPN2 right now if anyone is interested in watching Allen play.

Off game, although he scored several in garbage time.

The Hogfather

January 06, 2016, 07:55:55 pm #117 Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 08:19:06 pm by The Hogfather
Quote from: hoglady on January 06, 2016, 06:08:36 pm

King of junk buckets and bailouts on forced shots.  Had 11 official attempts. (One junk 3 when they were down 28 out of 5 attempts).  Got bailed out on another 4 shots for some FTs, which to his credit, he converted 7-8.

Hawg Red

Quote from: The Hogfather on January 06, 2016, 07:55:55 pm
King of junk buckets and bailouts on forced shots.  Had 11 official attempts. (One junk 3 when they were down 28 out of 5 attempts).  Got bailed out on another 4 attempts for some FTs.

This dude up here taking notes.

Obsessed.

hoglady

I won't judge any Florida player on that game last night. It was almost unwatchable.
Florida team as a whole was just bad.
The road hasn't been kind in the SEC the last few days - the big boys dropping games (Vandy, Florida and Kentucky).

The Hogfather

January 07, 2016, 06:39:33 am #120 Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 07:53:48 am by The Hogfather
Quote from: Hawg Red on January 06, 2016, 08:14:18 pm
This dude up here taking notes.

Obsessed.

I watched the game, just like I do most SEC games, dude.

You seem obsessed with me.  Keeping tabs on me and my opinion of Allen.

Obsessed.

Hawg Red

Quote from: The Hogfather on January 07, 2016, 06:39:33 am
I watched the game, just like I do most SEC games, dude.

You seem obsessed with me.  Keeping tabs on me and my opinion of Allen.

Obsessed.

Look, you were clearly posting off a notepad because you knew what happened with every single one of his shots. That's beyond just watching an SEC game. You're obsessed with picking apart every aspect of his shot selection. And, yeah, I do keep coming back to this thread to see what you've come up with next when I see that you've posted. I know exactly what kind of player KeVaughn Allen is and I have a pretty good idea of what he'll become, but it's entertaining to read your desperate spin on things now that you've dug in on this description of a chucker who will be nothing more than an average SEC player. Funny that he's producing game after game at this point. Average players don't do that.

The Hogfather

January 07, 2016, 11:45:44 am #122 Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 12:05:57 pm by The Hogfather
Quote from: Hawg Red on January 07, 2016, 08:52:31 am
Look, you were clearly posting off a notepad because you knew what happened with every single one of his shots. That's beyond just watching an SEC game. You're obsessed with picking apart every aspect of his shot selection. And, yeah, I do keep coming back to this thread to see what you've come up with next when I see that you've posted. I know exactly what kind of player KeVaughn Allen is and I have a pretty good idea of what he'll become, but it's entertaining to read your desperate spin on things now that you've dug in on this description of a chucker who will be nothing more than an average SEC player. Funny that he's producing game after game at this point. Average players don't do that.

Look, I watched the game and got the specifics from an app that had stats.  I could've given all of what I said without the numbers just off the top of my head.  His shot selection was pretty much non-existent, he drove wildly at times and was bailed out on several wild drives, he scored most of his points when they were down 20+ points late in the 2nd half, he made a large majority of his FTs, he only made one 3 out of a bunch of attempts, etc.  I wasn't taking notes.  I watched the game, made my assessment, had an idea of his numbers, and got the specific numbers from the app, so I didn't post made up numbers.

Allen is a "volume shooter" (shoots a lot), according to his head coach (and said by me previously), who will score a lot at times when his shot is on and will hurt his team when his shot isn't on and he keeps chucking.  A major reason why they got down so much in the 1st half was empty possessions on the offensive end.  I'm not sure he made a shot in the 1st half (maybe one), but he probably shot (including when he was fouled and missed shots) about 8-10 times.

He's "producing" game after game at this point because he's attempting tons of shots in game after game.

His last 4 games, he's had 10, 18, 11, and 11 attempts.  He actually tries to shoot the ball about 3 or 4 more times than that per game, but they don't count as attempts because he gets fouled.

Hawg Red

Quote from: The Hogfather on January 07, 2016, 11:45:44 am
Look, I watched the game and got the specifics from an app that had stats.  I could've given all of what I said without the numbers just off the top of my head.  His shot selection was pretty much non-existent, he drove wildly at times and was bailed out on several wild drives, he scored most of his points when they were down 20+ points late in the 2nd half, he made a large majority of his FTs, he only made one 3 out of a bunch of attempts, etc.  I wasn't taking notes.  I watched the game, made my assessment, had an idea of his numbers, and got the specific numbers from the app, so I didn't post made up numbers.

Allen is a "volume shooter" (shoots a lot), according to his head coach (and said by me previously), who will score a lot at times when his shot is on and will hurt his team when his shot isn't on and he keeps chucking.  A major reason why they got down so much in the 1st half was empty possessions on the offensive end.  I'm not sure he made a shot in the 1st half (maybe one), but he probably shot (including when he was fouled and missed shots) about 8-10 times.

He's "producing" game after game at this point because he's attempting tons of shots in game after game.

His last 4 games, he's had 10, 18, 11, and 11 attempts.  He actually tries to shoot the ball about 3 or 4 more times than that per game, but they don't count as attempts because he gets fouled.

I was teasing you about taking notes, though it's quite obvious you give him extra attention. It definitely looks like his shooting volume is on the rise, but it also looks like he's better than your average SEC player. Well on his way to All-Freshman in the SEC. Not something your average SEC freshman does.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 07, 2016, 12:39:57 pm
I was teasing you about taking notes, though it's quite obvious you give him extra attention. It definitely looks like his shooting volume is on the rise, but it also looks like he's better than your average SEC player. Well on his way to All-Freshman in the SEC. Not something your average SEC freshman does.

I guess it just depends on what you want from a kid (and what they are asked to do).  If we're judging on scoring the ball, he's certainly picked it up and, if you are just looking at scoring output, looks above average.  However, to me, a guy who dominates the ball when on the court better be making a very high percentage of his shots (and not just junk baskets in garbage time).  When he shot the ball 8-10 times in the 1st half (including 0fer 3 or 4 from 3), with several turnovers and fouls, and only a few points in 15+ minutes, as your team digs a 15-20 point hole, he certainly looked like a liability to their team.  And, he probably scored 10+ in the last 5 minutes of the game, when the game had been decided and Tennessee stopped playing with intensity.

So, while he ended the game with 18 points, how many of those were when they were actually needed?  How many of those shots where he kept firing in the 1st half should've actually been shot by someone else on the team who could've been more effective and possibly kept them in the game?

Now, to be fair, it appeared not many on the Florida squad came to play in this game.  Maybe it was just a function of that.

jbcarol

Brockway: Latest Line lists Florida as 3.5-point favorite at home vs. LSU. Have to say I'm a little surprised.

QuoteFlorida freshman guard KeVaughn Allen has led the Gators in scoring in each of the last four games, averaging 20.8 points per game in that span. ... Florida is shooting 37.5 percent from 3-point range in SEC play after shooting just 27.4 percent from beyond the arc in non-conference games. ...

LSU features two starters who played high school basketball in the state of the Florida -- forward Ben Simmons (Montverde Academy) and guard Antonio Blakeney (Oak Ridge High, Orlando). ... Florida will make its second attempt at its 600th SEC win.The Gators are 599-624 all-time in conference play.

— Kevin Brockway

jbcarol

Randy Rosetta ‏@RandyRosetta 12h12 hours ago

Freshman KeVaughn Allen has blossomed into a go-to scorer for Florida: Know the foe http://s.nola.com/6RQ0BbM  via @nolanews

QuoteNorth Little Rock, Ark., native has scored in double digits in five straight games and has produced 18 points in each of the first two SEC contests.

Though Allen had some moments early in the season, it has been the last three weeks when he has really started to look comfortable.

Starting with an 11-point performance against Oklahoma State, Allen has averaged 18.8 points over the five games while shooting 29-for-56 (51.8%) overall and 28-for-31 from the foul stripe.

"He's not just a driver," White said recently in a story in The Gainesville Sun. "He's not just a spot-up shooter. He's kind of a volume guy and we need him to be a volume guy. He's got the ability to get in space in transition, when he's in space, he's got tremendous explosive ability, speed and quickness, change of direction, but he's also got ability to sprint into shots. He's got ability to get himself shots on attacks and close outs. So it's really just a little bit of everything for him."

Getting comfortable didn't happen overnight for Allen. He scuffled at times early in the season and Michigan State completely took him out of the equation and he was so ineffective that he played only 9 minutes, a season-low.

On a team with a veteran and proven scorer in Dorian Finney-Smith and other veteran with top-shelf credentials (Kasey Hill was a McDonald's All-American), Allen took some time to find and then establish a role.

There's little doubt that Florida needs him to look for his shots now, though.

"He also shouldn't shoulder the burden of being our leading scorer night in and night out," White said. "That's fine if he is. As a freshman he shouldn't feel that pressure. We've got to do it by committee."

LSU at Florida

WHEN: 12:30 p.m. Saturday

WHERE: O'Connell Center | Gainesville, Fla.

Radio: WWL 870-AM/105.3-FM, WDGL-FM 98.1 (Baton Rouge)

TV: CBS

Records: LSU 9-5, 2-0 SEC; Florida 9-5, 2-0

jbcarol

Edgar Thompson ‏@osgators 1h1 hour ago

#Gators beat LSU 68-62 behind the 3-point shooting of Justin Leon and FT shooting of John Egbunu.

The Hogfather

Same type of game today as against Tenner, just with less free throws.  Started about 1-10 (0-3 from 3) before hiting a few shots.

Hawg Red

He looks to have had a pretty poor shooting day today. Ironically, the only play of his that I was able to see was the one in the second half where he blazed down the court and dished off to a teammate who then got fouled shooting a layup. I'll admit, I was expecting to try to take up himself but he made a great pass. Never understood the posters who said he wasn't a great athlete.

The Hogfather

Another stellar night.  0-4 (0-3).  Also, y'all see Whitt tonight?

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway ‏@gatorhoops  9m9 minutes ago Georgia, USA
At the half, Florida 49, Ole Miss 30. Allen with 20 points to lead #Gators,  Finney-Smith with 12 points.

jbcarol

Daniel Paulling ‏@DanielPaulling 19h19 hours ago

Kennedy: Scouting on UF guard KeVaughn Allen was atrocious: http://on.thec-l.com/1RXtNVd

AK: This is the one guy we cannot let get going ... We made some atrocious errors in scouting on KeVaughn Allen.

intelligence

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 09, 2016, 05:32:33 pm
He looks to have had a pretty poor shooting day today. Ironically, the only play of his that I was able to see was the one in the second half where he blazed down the court and dished off to a teammate who then got fouled shooting a layup. I'll admit, I was expecting to try to take up himself but he made a great pass. Never understood the posters who said he wasn't a great athlete.

they were and still are legally blind.

hoglady

Allen would have been a great fit for Arkansas - hate seeing him at Florida.
He's really, really good running the floor.

Hawg Red

Quote from: jbcarol on January 17, 2016, 04:38:00 pm
Daniel Paulling ‏@DanielPaulling 19h19 hours ago

Kennedy: Scouting on UF guard KeVaughn Allen was atrocious: http://on.thec-l.com/1RXtNVd

AK: This is the one guy we cannot let get going ... We made some atrocious errors in scouting on KeVaughn Allen.

Sounds like Kennedy let Hogfather do the scouting on KeVaughn.

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway ‏@gatorhoops  2h2 hours ago Spring Hill, FL
Howland complementary of KeVaughn Allen as well, "He's an NBA level athlete."

The Hogfather

January 20, 2016, 11:04:43 am #137 Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 11:16:23 am by The Hogfather
Quote from: jbcarol on January 19, 2016, 10:26:16 pm
Kevin Brockway ‏@gatorhoops  2h2 hours ago Spring Hill, FL
Howland complementary of KeVaughn Allen as well, "He's an NBA level athlete."

We'll see.  If so, I'll eat some crow.  I did notice his wording, though.

azhog10

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 06, 2016, 11:43:35 am

Wish we had that. Great job Mike letting him go.
Of all the dumb things you've said this ranks right up there with the best of them. CMA didn't "let" him go. CMA recruited Kevaughn till Kevaughn told the hogs he wasn't interested and wasn't coming. Everyone thought there might be a chance we get him late after BD left, but that was just his dad running his mouth with no real intention of anything happening. Kevaughn never reached out to CMA and that's how things were left. IF KA truly wanted to come here the door was open, but he didn't.

This staff may not be loaded with great "recruiters" but to act like we just "let" a kid leave is just stupid. The staff works their tails off recruiting, and that should not be questioned.

hoglady

I just remember Bill Ingram raving about Kavaughn (on Wes and Mike's show) -
in his mind this kid was ending up in the NBA.
Ingram doesn't come across as a guy that just blows smoke.
I know some on here disagree, but obviously White believes in him.
He's playing a huge role for the Gators this year.

Hawg Red

KeVaughn would have to develop his PG skills to really make it in the NBA. And that's entirely possible. I've seen the play-making passing ability in the action I've seen him in at Florida (though they're obviously leaning on him more to score right now), and obviously I saw it when he was at NLR. He's gotten faster since he was at NLR, IMO. A lot of posters knocked his athleticism.

He's just a freshman, but obviously the talent and athleticism is there. He's rising to the occasion in conference play and in a major role on that team. Shame he didn't want to be a Hog, but he's a good kid that works hard. He just didn't want to stay home and play for the Hogs for whatever reason. I still don't know what the exact reason is or if it's just about the Cotton thing.

Don't know about the NBA right now, but he'll definitely be an All-SEC pick next year and then any subsequent season at Florida. There's no doubt about that in my mind. Tend to believe kids who have the tools and the work ethic will find their way to the Association.

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway ‏@gatorhoops 30m30 minutes ago Gainesville, FL

Florida G KeVaughn Allen has been named to the Wayman Tisdale midseason watch list, given to best freshman cbk in the country.

The Hogfather

Typical Allen game.  Started 2-8 (0-1).  In the final minute, when down and desperate, he goes 4-4, including 3 threes.  11 of his team high 16 scored in junk time.  If you didn't watch the game, you'd think he had a great game.

Hawg Red

January 26, 2016, 10:32:56 pm #143 Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 06:16:27 am by Hawg Red
Quote from: The Hogfather on January 26, 2016, 10:16:27 pm
Typical Allen game.  Started 2-8 (0-1).  In the final minute, when down and desperate, he goes 4-4, including 3 threes.  11 of his team high 16 scored in junk time.  If you didn't watch the game, you'd think he had a great game.

So...he was able to shake off a poor shooting performance in the final minutes to give his team a chance to tie/win and he had a "junk" game?

That's one way to look at it, I guess. Looks like that entire Florida team struggled to put the ball in the basket. I wouldn't consider the ability to knock down shots when you're "down and desperate" a bad thing. Sounds like he's the only reason the game was close.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 26, 2016, 10:32:56 pm
So...he was able to shake off a poor shooting performance in the final minutes to give his team a chance to tie/win and he had a "junk" game?

That's one way to look at it, I guess. Looks like that entire Florida team struggled to put the ball in the basket. I wouldn't consider the ability to knock shots when you're "down and desperate" a bad thing. Sounds like he's the only reason the game was close.

Did you watch the game?  Everyone likes to look at the final line and say he had a "great game", when he really just padded his stats in the last minute.

Hawg Red

Quote from: The Hogfather on January 26, 2016, 10:53:57 pm
Did you watch the game?  Everyone likes to look at the final line and say he had a "great game", when he really just padded his stats in the last minute.

Nope, didn't watch the game. Also never said he had a great game. But I know they were down like 12 or 13 when I last checked the score in regulation and they ended up losing by 1 point. At some point in that final minute, you have to admit that it goes from padding your stats to "oh stuff, is Florida going to take this to OT?" That was because of KeVaughn Allen. They somewhat of a chance to make a game of it, albeit very late and a very small chance, in the final minute. No one on that Gator roster shot the ball well (except for KeVaughn, who I know was 2/7 at the half when I checked the score so he only took one other shot before the final minute or so).

Say whatever you want about Allen, but he didn't quit and it almost paid off for Florida. Your collection of evidence for being an average SEC player is dwindling as now even his bad games are better than most players in the league's good games.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 27, 2016, 06:15:59 am
Nope, didn't watch the game. Also never said he had a great game. But I know they were down like 12 or 13 when I last checked the score in regulation and they ended up losing by 1 point. At some point in that final minute, you have to admit that it goes from padding your stats to "oh stuff, is Florida going to take this to OT?" That was because of KeVaughn Allen. They somewhat of a chance to make a game of it, albeit very late and a very small chance, in the final minute. No one on that Gator roster shot the ball well (except for KeVaughn, who I know was 2/7 at the half when I checked the score so he only took one other shot before the final minute or so).

Say whatever you want about Allen, but he didn't quit and it almost paid off for Florida. Your collection of evidence for being an average SEC player is dwindling as now even his bad games are better than most players in the league's good games.

As I have said in the past, I guess it depends on what you consider a good/great player in the SEC.  Is it only scoring, no matter how that scoring is done?  No matter how many shots it takes?  No matter when a majority of those points are scored (in garbage/desperation time)?

I agree that it was good that he didn't give up and him suddenly making shots in the final minute, which he had not done all game long, gave them a chance at the end.  However, I would argue that part of the reason they were down so much and needed every shot he took/made in the final minute (and more) was because of a hole he helped dig by shooting a bunch of shots in the 1st half and not making many.

Hawg Red

Quote from: The Hogfather on January 27, 2016, 07:55:06 am
As I have said in the past, I guess it depends on what you consider a good/great player in the SEC.  Is it only scoring, no matter how that scoring is done?  No matter how many shots it takes?  No matter when a majority of those points are scored (in garbage/desperation time)?

I agree that it was good that he didn't give up and him suddenly making shots in the final minute, which he had not done all game long, gave them a chance at the end.  However, I would argue that part of the reason they were down so much and needed every shot he took/made in the final minute (and more) was because of a hole he helped dig by shooting a bunch of shots in the 1st half and not making many.

Again, just like the rest of the team? When I checked at halftime, I think there was a player shooting 40% for Florida and that was the best %. They shot 33% as a team for the game. They shot 29% if you take out KeVaughn's shots. Just a poor road performance by an entire team, but sure, let's put it all on the "average" freshman.

BTW, KeVaughn's SEC averages are 14.6 points, 3.8 rebounds, 1.25 steals, 47.5% FG, 43.6% 3PT, and 82.6% FT. I get that there have been a couple of games where most of his production has come really late after struggling, but that has not been the case in most games. And he's shooting the ball really well in conference play. His % in conference play look a lot like Anthlon Bell's or Dusty Hannah's, but I bet you wouldn't call either one of those guys a "shooting guard who can't shoot."

To me, a good SEC player is someone who is effective scoring the ball (check), is clearly better than most players in the league (so starter or 6th man quality - check), has All-SEC potential (check), is a player opposing defenses have to gameplan for (check), possesses top athleticism (check). There's probably more, but that's what I think of off the top of my head and KeVaughn has checked all of those boxes so far. Why you can't just admit that the kid is good and you didn't think he would be is beyond me. He's a freshman and his game hasn't been perfected or peaked yet, but he's clearly one of the top probably 3 freshmen in the conference. It's okay to admit he's good and is only going to get better. That doesn't make you any less of a Razorback fan. It doesn't make you a Gator fan or even a fan of KeVaughn. It makes you objective.

hoglady

Well - I think Kevaughn is going to be a great player - and a player that contributes for a number of years.
Not just a one and done ball hog that helps for one year.
I hated we didn't get him out of high school and I hate it even worse now.

The Hogfather

I still say he's just a high volume shooter who can shoot you into and out of games.  Normally, he starts off missing a bunch of shots, helping to dig his team a hole, and then makes a ton in garbage/desperation time, making his percentages and ppg numbers look decent.  If that's what you consider good/great, fine.