Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kevaughn Allen Iverson (Shot Volume-wise)

Started by The Hogfather, November 27, 2015, 10:04:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hogfather

I think we might be better off without Kevaughn Allen.  I know it is early, but he looks like the worst type of player.  He is a high volume shooter, but doesn't make very many at all.  Kind of fits with what I thought of him coming out of high school.  He thought he was the best player in the nation, but didn't really have the skills to match.  Went 3-12 today (1-6 from 3) and is shooring 31% for the year and 18% from 3.  He is 4-22 from 3!!

IronMountainHog

ADavisTheGOAT

That's what happens when you don't pick Arkansas. Hope the same thing happens with Monk and his ugly jump shot.
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

Danny J

Still like that we got Whitt....I think as the season wears on he is going to really get better. Already showing some nice flashes and love his long arms on defense.

The_Iceman

This team can use all the talent it can get. Mike has assembled a JV level roster. Pathetic.

HOGINTENNESSEE

KeVaughn is really good on the break. We could use him

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway ‏@gatorhoops Nov 25 Gainesville, FL

White said they have to beg KeVaughn Allen to shoot the basketball sometimes in practice. "We need him to shoot when his feet are set"
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway ‏@gatorhoops 15h15 hours ago Gainesville, FL

Nice steal by KeVaughn Allen but he needs to do better job finishing those transition layups.

KeVaughn Allen 0-2 from 3-pt range, now 3-18 from beyond arc this season.

Florda offense -- Egbunu, Finney-Smith and drink a fifth.

White on backcourt inconsistency -- "just struggling to shoot the basketball. We need to all look in mirror and staff has to help out."

White -- "We've got to re-evaluate how many 3s we're shooting, who is shooting them and where we're shooting from."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Danny J

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 28, 2015, 08:04:42 am
This team can use all the talent it can get. Mike has assembled a JV level roster. Pathetic.
Yep...can't keep signing SWAC talent and project type players to get where we want to get. We need help down low in a BAD BAD way.....We have a couple of good guards coming in next year to go with Hannahs, Whitt and Beard but we need post players. Moses is not even close to all we need down low....not even close. Thompson is a project and Thomas is simply not SEC type player and Cook may not be eligible.

The Hogfather

Quote from: jbcarol on November 28, 2015, 09:05:49 am
Kevin Brockway ‏@gatorhoops Nov 25 Gainesville, FL

White said they have to beg KeVaughn Allen to shoot the basketball sometimes in practice. "We need him to shoot when his feet are set"

"We have to beg him to shoot in practice, but he has no problem shooting in games.  We just need to figure out how he can make 1 or 2."

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 28, 2015, 09:52:28 am
"We have to beg him to shoot in practice, but he has no problem shooting in games.  We just need to figure out how he can make 1 or 2."

So you are trying to insult a player by comparing him to AI? LOL
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

The Hogfather

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 28, 2015, 08:04:42 am

Not sure Allen is the type of "talent" we need to make us better.  He's a high volume shooter who can't make many.

The Hogfather

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on November 28, 2015, 09:56:09 am
So you are trying to insult a player by comparing him to AI? LOL

I even made it explicit by putting it after the thread title.  I knew I'd have some duds coming around saying, "I sure would like to have AI on our team right now!"  He shoots a high volume like AI, but doesn't make many.  He thinks he has AI's talent, so he shoots a ton.  He just isn't talented enough to make many.

He may end up being a decent player, but I don't think we'll ever look back and say, "How good would we have been if Kevaughn Allen was on our team?"  I think we'll more likely be saying something like, "Remember back when he chose Florida and we thought we had missed on a good player?  We were WAAAAY off!"

The_Iceman

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 28, 2015, 09:59:21 am
Not sure Allen is the type of "talent" we need to make us better.  He's a high volume shooter who can't make many.

He is a true freshman. He will get better as he gets experience. We need him. But it's too late. Mike already choked this season away in the offseason.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 28, 2015, 11:52:06 am
He is a true freshman. He will get better as he gets experience. We need him. But it's too late. Mike already choked this season away in the offseason.

I can see you are on a mission to derail every thread. Nice attempt at camouflage by throwing in a reference to the OP as a smoke screen for your actual message.

I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

Scott7703

Allen is a top player on our team today if he is on it. Yeah it sucks he didn't come to Arkansas but why have a thread like this?

TomasPistola

Quote from: Scott7703 on November 28, 2015, 12:57:16 pm
Allen is a top player on our team today if he is on it. Yeah it sucks he didn't come to Arkansas but why have a thread like this?

Because asking for Mike to get fired isn't en vogue yet.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

TomBigBeeHog

Because all other teams are our adversaries and it hurts for one of our own to join the side of our enemies. Ok, let me put it in terms hogvillians can relate to. It's sorta like if one of your Arkansas relatives left to join the Union army during the Civil War.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

The Hogfather

In terms of shot attempts maybe.  He sucks right now.

The Hogfather

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 28, 2015, 11:52:06 am

There is always that possibility.  There's also the possibility that he just isn't very good and was overrated by the recruiting services.  I'll go with the latter, with what I saw in high school and so far at Florida.

mhuff

Quote from: Hogfan991 on November 27, 2015, 10:28:14 pm
That's what happens when you don't pick Arkansas. Hope the same thing happens with Monk and his ugly jump shot.

I never knew him.

mhuff

I never knew him.

Scott7703

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 28, 2015, 03:27:41 pm
In terms of shot attempts maybe.  He sucks right now.

Allen is a more "ready" player today than 2-3 of our guards will ever be. I'm not saying he is an all American but to act like he wouldn't help our team is ridiculous.

Big Boi

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 27, 2015, 10:04:18 pm
I think we might be better off without Kevaughn Allen.  I know it is early, but he looks like the worst type of player.  He is a high volume shooter, but doesn't make very many at all.  Kind of fits with what I thought of him coming out of high school.  He thought he was the best player in the nation, but didn't really have the skills to match.  Went 3-12 today (1-6 from 3) and is shooring 31% for the year and 18% from 3.  He is 4-22 from 3!!
This is crazy

nwahogfan1

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 27, 2015, 10:04:18 pm
i saw him in one game this year and he is not shy.  coach has apparently given him the green light to shoot.

Letsroll1200

This program is not better off without Kavaughn Allen.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Scott7703 on November 28, 2015, 04:30:57 pm
Allen is a more "ready" player today than 2-3 of our guards will ever be. I'm not saying he is an all American but to act like he wouldn't help our team is ridiculous.

Name them.  He has been a waste so far.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on November 28, 2015, 07:09:47 pm
This program is not better off without Kavaughn Allen.

I disagree.  He is Malik Monk minus the ability to make shots.  He takes a lot, which end up being wasted trips.  He shoots way too many 3s for his ability level.  At least Whitt realizes he isn't a sharpshooter at this point.  Allen thinks he's Steph Curry.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Big Boi on November 28, 2015, 05:21:40 pm
This is crazy

I think he'd make this team worse.  He doesn't realize his ability.

The Hogfather

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on November 28, 2015, 06:51:31 pm
i saw him in one game this year and he is not shy.  coach has apparently given him the green light to shoot.

He might want to make that light red.  At least yellow!!

Hawg Red

I'm not sure how much of him you actually saw in high school, but if you think he's a high-volume shooter, you didn't see very much of him. I can say that with absolute certainity and so will anyone else who saw him play multiple games.

Maybe Whitt is better, and maybe we end up better off without Allen, but he plays nothing like Allen Iverson, Antonie Walker or any other high-volume shooter regardless of what his early-season freshman stats say.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Hawg Red on November 28, 2015, 10:08:44 pm
I'm not sure how much of him you actually saw in high school, but if you think he's a high-volume shooter, you didn't see very much of him. I can say that with absolute certainity and so will anyone else who saw him play multiple games.

Maybe Whitt is better, and maybe we end up better off without Allen, but he plays nothing like Allen Iverson, Antonie Walker or any other high-volume shooter regardless of what his early-season freshman stats say.

Ha!  Ok.  He just became a guy who shoots way above his ability level in the few months he's been at Florida.  If the Florida are begging him to shoot and greenlighting shots from him (especially from 3), I question their ability to coach at this level.  I was questioning that very fact when they hired them.

Hawg Red

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 28, 2015, 10:12:37 pm
Ha!  Ok.  He just became a guy who shoots way above his ability level in the few months he's been at Florida.  If the Florida are begging him to shoot and greenlighting shots from him (especially from 3), I question their ability to coach at this level.  I was questioning that very fact when they hired them.

Maybe White can't coach. Maybe Allen just hasn't hit a rhythm. Way too early to say. I know there have been more than a couple times this season where Jimmy Whitt looked pretty lost or ineffective. Not for one second did I jump to the conclusion that he's not going to be the player we wanted/hoped he would be. But KeVaughn Allen can hoop. He's even a pretty solid shooter. I have no clue what's going on at Florida but there's going to be a transition just as there is with most coaching changes, especially when you go from a HOF coach to an up-and-comer from C-USA. We're also talking about basketball. Things change so many times within a season that this will all probably be a non-issue in a couple weeks or a month.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Hawg Red on November 28, 2015, 10:20:41 pm
Maybe White can't coach. Maybe Allen just hasn't hit a rhythm. Way too early to say. I know there have been more than a couple times this season where Jimmy Whitt looked pretty lost or ineffective. Not for one second did I jump to the conclusion that he's not going to be the player we wanted/hoped he would be. But KeVaughn Allen can hoop. He's even a pretty solid shooter. I have no clue what's going on at Florida but there's going to be a transition just as there is with most coaching changes, especially when you go from a HOF coach to an up-and-comer from C-USA. We're also talking about basketball. Things change so many times within a season that this will all probably be a non-issue in a couple weeks or a month.

Whitt hasn't shot 22 3s and made only 4 of them.  Whitt has also made a higher percentage of his shots.  I think Allen just isn't that good.  He'll improve and be a marginal SEC player, like a Jabril Durham.  Maybe a little more shooting/scoring and a little less assisting.

Hawg Red

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 28, 2015, 10:31:00 pm
Whitt hasn't shot 22 3s and made only 4 of them.  Whitt has also made a higher percentage of his shots.  I think Allen just isn't that good.  He'll improve and be a marginal SEC player, like a Jabril Durham.  Maybe a little more shooting/scoring and a little less assisting.

Whitt plays in a completely different offense where he is like the 4th option. Whitt's blown layups and turned the ball over a fair amount (number of travels). They're freshmen. But they're freshmen in different situations with different games. They'll both be All-SEC players, IMO. I haven't seen a second of KeVaughn Allen playing basketball since the 7A championship game but I see Whitt working through his struggles and trying to turn that corner. I imagine Allen will do the same. He's a good kid with a good work ethic. Combine that with talent (and, yes, he is talented -- Billy Donovan made him a priority) and things will be okay with him. But he's not a ball hog or a volume-shooter. It doesn't surprise me that he would struggle being asked to put up a bunch of shots on offense because that isn't his game. He's a poised shooter/scorer who is used to playing unselfish ball. He's always been a kid that will put up a quiet 25 points. If they want him be more aggressive, it's just going to take some time for him to find his voice.

Swinesong1

I'm just amazed how Hog fans continually defend opposing players and coaches.  While dogging their own who are doing no worse.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Hawg Red on November 28, 2015, 10:45:31 pm
Whitt plays in a completely different offense where he is like the 4th option. Whitt's blown layups and turned the ball over a fair amount (number of travels). They're freshmen. But they're freshmen in different situations with different games. They'll both be All-SEC players, IMO. I haven't seen a second of KeVaughn Allen playing basketball since the 7A championship game but I see Whitt working through his struggles and trying to turn that corner. I imagine Allen will do the same. He's a good kid with a good work ethic. Combine that with talent (and, yes, he is talented -- Billy Donovan made him a priority) and things will be okay with him. But he's not a ball hog or a volume-shooter. It doesn't surprise me that he would struggle being asked to put up a bunch of shots on offense because that isn't his game. He's a poised shooter/scorer who is used to playing unselfish ball. He's always been a kid that will put up a quiet 25 points. If they want him be more aggressive, it's just going to take some time for him to find his voice.

Whitt has outplayed him in every aspect.  Allen has been terrible.  You're one of those guys who heard some good things about a "top recruit" from some recruiting services and just can't figure out that sometimes they are just wrong.  It's ok.  Keep waiting on him to "catch up".  You'll be waiting for awhile.  Likely a lot longer than Florida fans.  They'll move on pretty quickly once they realize making him a "priority" was a mistake.

The Hogfather

Funniest thing all season is hearing you calk him a poised shooter and scorer!  He's shooting 30% overall and is 4-22 from 3 thus far.  Hilarious.

Hawg Red

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 28, 2015, 10:58:05 pm
Whitt has outplayed him in every aspect.  Allen has been terrible.  You're one of those guys who heard some good things about a "top recruit" from some recruiting services and just can't figure out that sometimes they are just wrong.  It's ok.  Keep waiting on him to "catch up".  You'll be waiting for awhile.  Likely a lot longer than Florida fans.  They'll move on pretty quickly once they realize making him a "priority" was a mistake.

I saw the kid play at least 10 times in high school. I'm not relying on any recruiting analysis. I've seen it in person.

And my point isn't that Jimmy Whitt hasn't been better, it's that he hasn't exactly looked like the stud many of us thought he'd be...because it's early. Put KeVaughn in a role similar to what Whitt has with the Hogs and he plays much better, more efficient. Because that's his game. He's thrive with Moses, Bell and Hannahs out there with him. I don't know what kind of O Florida is running but it sounds like they're struggling to have someone emerge from the backcourt. We haven't had that with Bell and Hannahs, so we can afford Whitt to work through stuff. Just my thoughts at a cursory glance not know anything about Florida and everything about Arkansas.

Hawg Red

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 28, 2015, 11:00:48 pm
Funniest thing all season is hearing you calk him a poised shooter and scorer!  He's shooting 30% overall and is 4-22 from 3 thus far.  Hilarious.

The first 5-6 games of a kid's college career don't define. You don't go with the smallest sample size just because it fits your agenda.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Hawg Red on November 28, 2015, 11:09:33 pm
I saw the kid play at least 10 times in high school. I'm not relying on any recruiting analysis. I've seen it in person.

And my point isn't that Jimmy Whitt hasn't been better, it's that he hasn't exactly looked like the stud many of us thought he'd be...because it's early. Put KeVaughn in a role similar to what Whitt has with the Hogs and he plays much better, more efficient. Because that's his game. He's thrive with Moses, Bell and Hannahs out there with him. I don't know what kind of O Florida is running but it sounds like they're struggling to have someone emerge from the backcourt. We haven't had that with Bell and Hannahs, so we can afford Whitt to work through stuff. Just my thoughts at a cursory glance not know anything about Florida and everything about Arkansas.

So, he's a dumbass, too, for not coming here to shine.  I think he's not very good and will underperform relative to his recruiting ranking.  I also think Whitt vastly outperforms him.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Hawg Red on November 28, 2015, 11:11:31 pm
The first 5-6 games of a kid's college career don't define. You don't go with the smallest sample size just because it fits your agenda.

No shiz.  It is a first college level impression.  Most times, those are pretty accurate for me in regards to basketball.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Swinesong1 on November 28, 2015, 10:51:03 pm
I'm just amazed how Hog fans continually defend opposing players and coaches.  While dogging their own who are doing no worse.

Ain't that the truth!  It is that attitude that leads to overrated players like Allen thinking they are too good for Arkansas.

Hawg Red

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 28, 2015, 11:14:18 pm
So, he's a dumbass, too, for not coming here to shine.  I think he's not very good and will underperform relative to his recruiting ranking.  I also think Whitt vastly outperforms him.

I definitely think he would have been great in this system. I don't question him going with Billy Donovan but I do question him going with Michael White.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Hawg Red on November 28, 2015, 11:31:30 pm
I definitely think he would have been great in this system. I don't question him going with Billy Donovan but I do question him going with Michael White.

I think he would've been average in this system.

Hawg Red

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 28, 2015, 11:45:36 pm
I think he would've been average in this system.

That much is obvious. You also don't really know much about and probably haven't seen him actually play outside of some highlights.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Hawg Red on November 29, 2015, 08:06:53 am
That much is obvious. You also don't really know much about and probably haven't seen him actually play outside of some highlights.

Keep thinking that if it makes you feel superior....

Kevin

so some make themselves feel better at the struggles of a freshman on another team
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

The_Iceman

Quote from: Kevin on November 29, 2015, 09:09:08 am
so some make themselves feel better at the struggles of a freshman on another team

It's a form of denial.

Cure

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 28, 2015, 11:14:18 pm
Shine in that offense? You mean shine on the fastbreak because they don't have many good halfcourt sets.

Allen will get developed under White.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.