Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

College Football Playoff Projections and Committee Rankings

Started by jbcarol, October 26, 2014, 07:24:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Jeff Long says 13th games were factor for CFB Playoff committee

Would know

QuoteThis may not sit too well with some fans in Big 12 country, specifically fans of Baylor or TCU. If there was any doubt how valuable a conference championship game was going to be in the College Football Playoff era, Arkansas athletics director Jeff Long made the message pretty clear; it's pretty important.

Long, who chairs the selection committee for the College Football Playoff, was a guest in the broadcast booth for a short Q&A on the SEC Network during the Arkansas spring game Saturday afternoon. During his interview Long was asked about the College Football Playoff and the value of playing a conference championship game in the eyes of the selection committee. In his response, Long said the 13th game played by those in conference championship games was a factor for the selection committee. Baylor and TCU only played 12 games, with the Big 12 not holding a conference championship game.

Long also said during his brief moment in the booth the committee would be reviewing possible minor changes to the College Football Playoff, although nothing too drastic is expected to change in the eyes of the public.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Pat Dooley @pat_dooley  ·  Apr 26
Change is the only constant in college football: For decades, college football's changes were subtle and hardl... http://bit.ly/1HK21bh

QuoteThe next big change will likely be in 2016 when the NCAA deregulates conference championship games. Yeah, I know. Who would have thought back in the day we'd ever use "deregulate" in a college football story?

Earlier this month, stories surfaced that the deregulation proposed by the ACC and the Big 12 has gained enough steam that it appears to be a foregone conclusion for the 2016 season. It would allow conferences that don't have 12 teams to play a conference championship game.

We know why the 10-team Big 12 wants a chance to play a championship game. The league was left out of the four-team playoff last year. As Gary Patterson, the TCU coach, so eloquently stated, the league was told it didn't matter and then it obviously did matter. (I'm paraphrasing.)

But in a conference call this week, the Big 12 coaches were divided on the possibility. Unless you were Art Briles, who said, "Would it have mattered? I don't know."

That's the big mystery. Nobody knows what lies ahead.

Nobody is really sure why the ACC is in support of this measure except that the two best teams in the league are in one division (FSU and Clemson in the, wait, let me look it up, the Atlantic). But everything goes in cycles, and everyone should be cautioned not to overreact.

Obviously, the SEC could do what it has done in basketball and eliminate divisions to make sure the two best teams end up in Atlanta, but the conference is smart enough not to do that for football...
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

David Ubben @davidubben  ·  10m 10 minutes ago
CFP committee will begin ranking teams on Nov. 3 this year and release six weekly rankings. One fewer than last year.

jbcarol

Stewart Mandel @slmandel  ·  16m 16 minutes ago
CFP semifinals wil be on New Year's Eve 8 of the next 11 years so best get used to it.

jbcarol

In a major departure fro his wait-and-see stance, Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby came out in favor of his conference holding a championship game should it receive approval from the NCAA.

Quote"What we heard is if we don't go to a championship game we're at a disadvantage," Bowlsby told reporters Wednesday evening.

This is a stark contrast from the last time Bowlsby went on the record on the subject back in December. "It's easy to forget that if a couple of things go differently, we get two teams in, not none," he said at the time.

What changed his mind? Selection committee chairman and Arkansas athletics director Jeff Long.

Chuck Carlton
✔ @ChuckCarltonDMN

Big 12's Bob Bowlsby gets answer to his question: 13 data points (ie games) better than 12, according to selection committee chair Jeff Long
7:35 PM - 29 Apr 2015

jbcarol

Chris Low @ClowESPN  ·  20h 20 hours ago

Quickest way to an 8-team playoff is an SEC, Big Ten or Pac-12 blueblood getting upset in a conference title game and being left out.

jbcarol

ESPN SEC @ESPN_SEC  ·  2h 2 hours ago

Jeff Long discusses Year 1 of the playoff, divisions in conferences and more http://es.pn/1E4qou9

QuoteI think conferences need divisions. I can speak to my situation at Arkansas. I like a division because my fans want to see us battle for a West title. If we're late in the season and we have a chance to battle for the West title, fans are more likely to come. I think this is in general as well. If you've fallen out of the West race, your numbers of no-shows for your tickets are going to increase. So if you just have one conference without a division, you're going to fall out of contention earlier in that process. To me, from an AD's point of view, I want to sell tickets, I want my stadium full because that's a better environment for my student-athletes to hopefully win a game, the home-field advantage, all those things. I like divisions because I'm going to be in that hunt for a division title longer, that's going to keep my fans engaged longer...

jbcarol

Minneapolis announces bid to host 2020 CFP title game

QuoteThe game would be played in the new home of the NFL's Minnesota Vikings, a domed structure that is currently under construction.  That stadium, set to open next year, is already scheduled to host the 2018 Super Bowl and the 2019 men's basketball Final Four.

jbcarol

Kate Hairopoulos @khairopoulos  ·  3m 3 minutes ago

I'm very confused. RT @dennisdoddcbs (Big 12's) Bob Bowlsby suddenly says little interest right now in conf champ game.

jbcarol

After emerging from annual College Football Playoff meetings just one week ago touting his league's need for a conference championship game under the logic that "13 data points are better than 12," Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby met with reporters Tuesday evening following at his conference's spring meetings in Phoenix and admitted a title game had not been rubber-stamped by the Big 12's athletics directors and head coaches.

Stewart Mandel
✔ @slmandel

Bowlsby: "We all believe one year is not a long enough trial to draw any conclusions" about lack of a championship game.
7:01 PM - 5 May 2015

Chuck Carlton
✔ @ChuckCarltonDMN

In football, Big 12 two-way tiebreaker will be head-to-head. Three-way (or more) was the hold up. Sound like it's close to settled.
6:50 PM - 5 May 2015

jbcarol

ESPN SEC @ESPN_SEC  ·  2h 2 hours ago

Alabama spent $2.56 million on CFB Playoff semifinal http://es.pn/1GPqUgd

jbcarol

The new Big 12 tiebreaker procedures

Click to enlarge:

QuoteThough the intent is clear with tiebreaker B1, Mike Finger of the San Antonio Express-News astutely pointed out the wording needs to be ironed out:

jbcarol

As the Big 12 turns: Cooler heads prevail in title game discussion

QuotePHOENIX -- The Big 12 was supposed to overreact.

It's simple, really. We have a four-team College Football Playoff and five major conferences. At least one of them will be guaranteed a gut punch every year.

And with stakes this high, that first conference was guaranteed to overreact in some fashion, responding not just with sour grapes but with a desire for immediate changes.

In Year 1, it was the Big 12's turn. And for a few days last week, it looked like Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby was going to fall for it. When he emerged from the CFP meetings in Irving, Texas, espousing the necessity of a conference title game, it was hard not to take the warning shot seriously.

But he and the rest of the Big 12's decision-makers successfully talked themselves away from the ledge during their spring meetings. They walked out of the Arizona Biltmore on Wednesday content with a new tiebreaker system and renewed confidence that the Big 12 will get it right in Year 2.

jbcarol

Berry Tramel @BerryTramel  ·  19h 19 hours ago
Big 12 brain trust a collective disaster when it comes to making decisions http://bit.ly/1cwi2Vy

jbcarol

Jeff Long says Nick Saban is unaware of 'real world' when it comes to bowls

QuoteNick Saban kicked up a bit of a ruckus by declaring that the College Football Playoffs were his worst fears realized: the devaluing of bowl games.  "All the attention, all the interest would be about the four teams in the playoffs, which is exactly what happened," Saban explained Wednesday.

Still, Saban's line of thinking is "[t]hat by having a playoff we would minimize the interest in other bowl games, which I think is sort of what happened and I hate to see that for college football."

In a radio interview Friday, the chairperson of the CFP, Arkansas athletic director Jeff Long, was asked about Saban's critique of the postseason structure.  In essence, Long stated that Saban is out of the loop when it comes to the impact the playoffs have had on those further down in the college football pecking order.

"Well, I think sometimes coaches, particularly those at the highest level, I'm not sure how aware they are of what's really going on out there in the real world," Long said in quotes transcribed by al.com. "You know, bowl games, they keep adding bowl games. And I think the television interest for the games is higher than ever before...

jbcarol

Brett McMurphy @McMurphyESPN  ·  May 14

Jacksonville will not bid on 2018-20 @CFBPlayoff title games, Times-Union reports. That leaves 8 cities that will

jbcarol

Barry Alvarez explains why Big 12 only had itself to blame in CFB Playoff

Quote"One of our main criteria is conference championship," Alvarez said at the Big Ten spring meetings, per Jon Solomon of CBSSports.com. "You can't give two teams in a conference the conference championship. You can't give two teams credit for that."

Well, why not? Wisconsin claimed a share of the Big Ten title in 2010 along with Michigan State and Ohio State. Wisconsin also claimed a share of the Big Ten crown in 1998 along with Ohio State and Michigan. And in 1993 with the Buckeyes. The Big Ten had four co-champions in 1990.

The comments from Alvarez echo statements previously made this spring by Arkansas Athletics director and College Football Playoff selection committee chairperson Jeff Long. While in the booth for the telecast of the Arkansas spring game, Long commented on the weight the 13th game played by some schools affected the selection committee's decision-making when determining which four teams would be invited to participate and compete in the first College Football Playoff. Ohio State walloped Wisconsin in the Big Ten championship game, vaulting them into the four-team field ahead of both Big 12 co-champions.

jbcarol

Mitch Sherman @mitchsherman  ·  May 21

Big Ten spring meetings wrap: The league is unified on reform. So what's next? http://es.pn/1LfKiXg

QuoteAs key figures in other Power 5 conferences gripe about issues like graduate transfers and satellite camps, Big Ten athletic directors convened Monday through Wednesday here at the league offices outside Chicago, emerging from closed-door sessions in orchestrated harmony ...

League leaders don't expect to pass -- or even officially propose -- freshmen ineligibility. Many of them don't want it...

Delany said the 20-hour rule, which limits time per week student-athletes are permitted to spend on athletics, does not work. Initial-eligibility standards for football and basketball, he said, produce flawed outcomes.

"We don't have the answer about exactly how to make sure that education," Delany said, "at least from the NCAA standpoint, is more primary than secondary. But we wanted to have that discussion."

jbcarol

CFB Playoff @CFBPlayoff  ·  May 20

Win or lose, tremendous honor to be nominated for #SBJawards @sbjsbd.

Bill Hancock @BHancockCFP  ·  May 20

Honored CFP was named 2015 sports event of the year. Other nominees were terrific. Real tribute to college ball.

jbcarol

he games the Big 12 cannot afford to lose in 2015

QuoteBig 12 was left out of the first College Football Playoff. Depending upon whom you ask, the Big 12 was left out because Baylor didn't play anybody (they didn't), TCU lost to Baylor (they did) or the Big 12 just was not that good overall (plausible). You will also get some tell you Baylor and TCU just did not have the brand recognition a program like Ohio State or Florida State carried with it (again, true).

Big 12 is in need of ensuring a Big 12 champion will be battle tested and respected by the College Football Playoff selection committee at the end of the season. With the margin for error possibly very small for the Big 12 (two one-loss teams getting left out of the four-team playoff may be a rarity in all honesty), the Big 12 needs to impress in non-conference action.

Texas at Notre Dame (September 5)

West Virginia vs. Georgia Southern (September 5): Don't laugh...

Oklahoma at Tennessee (September 12)

Texas Tech at Arkansas (September 19): This one might be a reach, but it is worthy of consideration. Arkansas is another team those following the SEC may feel optimistic about moving forward, and Texas Tech's defense could be in for a long game. If the Red Raiders could manage to get out of the state with a win against a team from the SEC West, the Big 12 would be smiling in a big way.

West Virginia vs. Maryland (September 26)...

jbcarol

Brett McMurphy @McMurphyESPN  ·  39m 39 minutes ago

Atl, Charlotte, Detroit, Houston, Miami, Minny, New Orleans, San Antonio, Santa Clara officially bid on 2018-20 @CFBPlayoff title games

jbcarol

Seth Emerson @SethEmersonAJC  ·  4m 4 minutes ago

Bill Hancock and Jeff Long here talking about how successful the first year of the playoff went, even though the SEC team didn't win it.

Bill Hancock on keeping the playoff at four: "Four is here to say." (Psssst: He said the same thing about the BCS.)

jbcarol

NoNC4Tubs

Quote from: jbcarol on January 08, 2015, 11:57:47 am
Brett McMurphy @McMurphyESPN  ·  56 minutes ago

Only $200 standing room only tickets remain for @CFBPlayoff title game. May only be purchased at AT&T Stadium

When the two teams are determined, the ticket prices will set an all-time record..... 8)

jbcarol

Jake Trotter ‏@Jake_Trotter Jun 8

It's not unthinkable the Big 12 ends up without a single top 25 nonconf win, which would be a killer in playoff deliberations.

jbcarol

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN Jun 16

.@CFBPlayoff selection committee will hold final ranking until after Navy-Army game if Navy or Army in running for semifinals or NY6 bowl

jbcarol

AL.com sports ‏@aldotcomSports 2h2 hours ago

Gus Malzahn wants College Football Playoff to expand to 8 teams http://ow.ly/PUouc

QuoteGus Malzahn is a high school coach at heart, so expanding the playoff in college football only seems natural to him.

"Our league needs eight teams," Malzahn said, according to ESPN's Adam Rittenberg. "That'll all but guarantee we'll get two teams [in]."

"Expanding the playoffs to more than four teams is paramount," Arkansas coach Bret Bielema said, according to ESPN's Alex Scarborough. "You're not getting the best possible pool."

Brett McMurphyVerified account
‏@McMurphyESPN

Gus Malzahn said Big 12 should have title game & SEC at disadvantage in @CFBPlayoff because strength of league wears teams down

jbcarol

Trav HaneyVerified account@TravHaneyESPN

Auburn's Malzahn told me he thinks SEC at disadvantage in CFP because of strength of the league. Others fresher for playoff as result.

Stewart Mandel ‏@slmandel 15h15 hours ago

Stewart Mandel retweeted Trav Haney

Does the E in SEC now stand for Excuses?

Funny, in the BCS, all we heard was how the SEC was better tested than their opponents from other leagues.

WOOPIGSOOIE@W00PIGS000IE

.@slmandel they are....  But they're also more physically exhausted from grueling schedule

Stewart Mandel ‏@slmandel 15h15 hours ago

Funny, in the BCS, all we heard was how the SEC was better tested than their opponents from other leagues.

jbcarol

Hugh Kellenberger ‏@HKellenbergerCL 1h1 hour ago

The SEC coaches talking about playoff expansion? Yeah, that was inevitable. http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/2015/07/21/kellenberger-cfp-expansion-inevitable/30496231/ ...

QuoteIt's happening, because of course it was. Four teams were never enough to satisfy everyone, and there was already talk about expanding the College Football Playoff before it ever began. But that was largely media and fans, and so this is different.

Southeastern Conference coaches went to ESPN headquarters in Bristol, Connecticut, this week, and amid SportsCenter appearances and endless reams of coach-speak, a handful got in this: The College Football Playoff should expand to eight teams.

"Our league needs eight teams," Auburn coach Gus Malzahn told ESPN.com. "That'll all but guarantee we'll get two teams."

Ole Miss coach Hugh Freeze even had a plan to make it work: drop down to a 11-game regular season and eliminate the conference championship games. This, friends, is what we call SEC ingenuity.Not only would it make sure no athlete played more than 14 games (Ohio State and Oregon played 15 in 2014) and satisfy those worried about player health, but Freeze also removed two potential chances of an SEC team losing and eliminating itself.

And we should point this out: Malzahn and Freeze do not fit in the category of aggrieved coaches believing they should have been included last season...

jbcarol

Are

ESPN SEC ‏@ESPN_SEC Jul 23

SEC coaches digging a deeper hole with recent remarks http://es.pn/1SEMoCQ

?

QuoteBut then for the first time since January, coaches opened their mouths in front of a national audience, and what flew out was a list of excuses, complaints and opinions so numerous and so tone-deaf that it defied explanation. When South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier called an impromptu news conference to quash any retirement talk and fight back against his perceived "enemies" Wednesday, a weird week for the SEC took an even more perplexing turn. It felt as if everything was going off the rails.

It began with SEC media days in Hoover, Alabama, last week when Nick Saban was the first to put his foot in his mouth.

The four-time championship-winning coach at Alabama did what no championship-winning coach is supposed to do: He made excuses.

"I just felt like, in our experience last year, our team chemistry from the SEC championship game to the playoff game was affected by something," he said.

Shortly after, former wide receiver Plaxico Burress took to Twitter to say that his former coach had no room to talk.

When the series of congratulatory speeches in Hoover was over, Missouri coach Gary Pinkel traveled to ESPN and provided even more cannon fodder, this time for all the non-Power 5 programs.

"I think all independents should join a conference, as a general rule," Pinkel said on Monday. "I didn't say Notre Dame in particular -- everybody. You don't have independents in the NFL. Leagues are leagues. I just think it's difficult to assess a team that's not in a league. It's nothing against Notre Dame; it's just my opinion."

The next day, Auburn coach Gus Malzahn arrived at ESPN toting his own opinions, ready to put an even broader target on the conference. This time it was concerning the SEC's role in the playoff.

"Compared to everyone else? Yeah [we're disadvantaged]," Malzahn said. "Look at the SEC West. All of the teams are in the top 25. What other conference can say that? Then, if you win that, you've got to play another really good team from the East. And then you're in the [playoff] semi, having to win two more games. That's why I think it's critical that we move to eight teams."

jbcarol

Bruce Feldman ‏@BruceFeldmanCFB 2h2 hours ago

All four College Football Playoff teams were drug tested, source tells @FoxSports: http://foxs.pt/1JI2R8Y

jbcarol

Heather Dinich ‏@CFBHeather 20h20 hours ago

. @GaryPinkel response 2 CFP expansion Q:  "College FB has never been more exciting and popluar (sic) than it is right now. Let's not mess it up."

jbcarol

ESPN SEC ‏@ESPN_SEC Aug 4

Grantland: Could SEC be shut out of the playoff? http://es.pn/1IET3qX

jbcarol

Bruce Feldman ‏@BruceFeldmanCFB Aug 4

News: CF Playoff will expand its program to offset expenses for parents or guardians to travel to the semifinals w/ $2,500 stipend per S-A.

jbcarol

Chris Low ‏@ClowESPN 3h3 hours ago

In the current format, I don't ever see a scenario where a one-loss SEC or Pac-12 champ doesn't get in. With two losses, it could get dicey.

jbcarol

Heather Dinich ‏@CFBHeather 49m49 minutes ago

. @Strong_TexasFB doesn't want a league CG right now. He guesses that an undefeated team in any league would rather not risk playing 1.

. @Strong_TexasFB on @TCUFootball and @BaylorAthletics "one of them should've been in the playoff."

jbcarol

ESPN's first CFB Playoff promo of 2015 includes 14 SEC schools and 15 others

QuoteNot counting the mascots, the College Football Playoff advertisement features seven SEC members. The Big Ten has three schools represented in the ad, the same number as the Pac-12. The Big 12 was included with a nod to TCU and Baylor, last season's conference co-champions left out of the playoff at the end of the season.

Here is the full breakdown (minus mascots);

ACC: 0

Big Ten: 3 (Ohio State, Michigan State, Michigan)

Big 12: 2 (TCU, Baylor)

Pac-12: 3 (Oregon, USC, UCLA)

SEC: 7 (Alabama, Auburn, Texas A&M, LSU, Tennessee, Georgia, Mississippi State)

jbcarol

jbcarol

Sadness in Columbus: Ohio State loses Noah Brown for season with leg injury

QuoteFollowing up on reports of a "major" injury, OSU confirmed late Wednesday night that Noah Brown suffered an injury to his left leg during practice earlier in the day. While the specific nature of the injury wasn't detailed, it was significant and serious enough that the sophomore receiver has already been ruled out for the entire 2015 season.

It's believed that Brown broke his leg during the Wednesday practice session.  According to OSU's release, he will undergo surgery Thursday to repair the damage.

Earlier this offseason, it was announced that H-backs Jalin Marshall and Dontre Wilson, along with receiver Corey Smith, had been suspended for the opener against Virginia Tech.

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/ESPNRittenberg/status/637279815934996480

QuoteTaxing schedules could trip up teams like Georgia (division crossovers with Auburn and Alabama and a trip to Georgia Tech), Georgia Tech (division crossovers against Florida State and Clemson), and Arkansas (road trips to Alabama, Ole Miss, LSU and Tennessee, plus a neutral-site game against Texas A&M).

jbcarol

hogcard1964

Baylor is giving Briles a pass.  They're not doing anything about this.  Sad.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN Aug 31

Nat'l title odds: OhSt 5-2 TCU 6-1 Ala 7-1 Bay 8-1 Aub/ND 15-1 Clem/Ga/LSU/MichSt/Ore/USC 20-1 FSU/OU/Stan/UCLA 30-1 via @LVSuperBook

jbcarol

ESPN SEC ‏@ESPN_SEC 20h20 hours ago

College Football Playoff experts picks: Corso takes LSU to win it all http://es.pn/1LLtAAr

QuoteBama and Auburn are the most popular SEC picks to make the College Football Playoff, but the conference is also represented here by LSU (Lee Corso), Texas A&M (Desmond Howard) and Georgia (Danny Kanell).