Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bruce Pearl: The journey from Rocky Top to The Plain

Started by jbcarol, February 13, 2014, 12:58:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

AL.com sports @aldotcomSports  ·  14 hours ago

Watch Bruce Pearl return to Auburn basketball practice 1 day after back surgery http://ow.ly/DTsva
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Auburn Tigers @AuburnTigers  ·  1 hour ago

Thank you #Auburn Family! @AuburnMBB season tix are sold out. See you at the Arena. http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/110714aaa.html ... #WarEagle

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Brandon Marcello @bmarcello  ·  9 hours ago
. @coachbrucepearl makes long-awaited return to coaching, gets call from @CoachGusMalzahn http://ow.ly/DZROb 

Brandon Marcello @bmarcello  ·  10 hours ago
BP sent team a text after surgery. Mason: "The good thing is he got out of the hospital. The bad thing was that he was out of the hospital."

jbcarol

Alex Byington @AUBlog  ·  8 hours ago
AUBURN BASKETBALL: Tigers rally to give Bruce Pearl his first win as Tigers HC — his first victory in 1,346 days http://www.oanow.com/sports/college/auburn/basketball/article_19876744-6c8e-11e4-aa02-3bf3d6adb149.html ...

QuoteIt was Pearl's first game in 3 years and nearly 8 months after serving a 3-year NCAA-sanctioned show-cause penalty for lying during a 2011 NCAA investigation while the head coach at Tennessee. His last win was a 74-68 Volunteers victory over Arkansas in the first round of the SEC Tournament on March 10, 2011 — a span of 1,346 days.

Pearl credited his new squad's strong will in the face of tough odds.

"One thing I found out tonight that I hadn't been able to see is how we'd handle adversity," Pearl said. "I thought the team showed a lot of character, and it starts with upper classmen."
A more experienced and much bigger Wisconsin-Milwaukee — the program Pearl first turned around as a Division I head coach — nearly took advantage of his latest reclamation project when it led 55-43 with 11 minutes left following a 12-4 run during a 3:23 stretch midway through the second half.

Harrell drilled a 3-pointer with 10:37 remaining to spark a 19-2 Auburn run over the next 5 minutes — including 10-0 in the final 2:41 of that spurt — as the Tigers built a 62-57 advantage with 5:42 remaining. Auburn led by as much as 6 points twice over the final 4:45.
It didn't come without a cost.

Mason suffered a "pretty nasty ankle sprain" according to Pearl, after landing awkwardly on his left ankle when he was fouled by Milwaukee forward Matt Tiby, who fouled out on the play.

Sophomore point guard Tahj Shamsid-Deen left the game with 14:51 remaining after dislocating his right shoulder when he dove for a steal after scoring a layup to pull within 43-38 with 15 minutes left. Pearl said Shamsid-Deen suffered a subluxation of the shoulder.
"He has never done it before," Pearl said. "So how tight is it, how much damage did he do to the nerve? Because when you do that sometimes you can lose feeling, strength, and he's experiencing some of those things now. We're just going to have to see."

Following a preseason injury to sophomore center Matthew Atewe in last weekend's exhibition game, Bowers was given the yeoman's task of controlling the boards for the Tigers.  And for the most part, the nation's top JUCO player last year more than held his own with 12 points and 10 rebounds in the second half.

"With Matt out, I'm the only big man — me and Jordon (Granger) — so I just feel like I have to get every rebound," Bowers said. "I have to, there's no question."

Bowers' 17 boards were an Auburn Arena record and the most since Rob Chubb pulled down 15 in 2012 against Indiana-Purdue Fort Wayne.

jbcarol

Rhett Lashlee @rhettlashlee  ·  Nov 15
War Eagle to @coachbrucepearl and the Auburn Men's BB team on their big opening season win last night ! #WarEagle

Jay G. Tate @JayGTate  ·  20 hours ago
Rhett Lashlee: Steely resolve, etc.

jbcarol

Finances, class schedules on Bruce Pearl's mind with midnight game at Colorado

Bruce Pearl faced a conundrum while building his first schedule at Auburn.

He wanted his program to be in the spotlight, but he also needed to save money and keep class schedules in mind.

QuoteAuburn traveled to Colorado over the weekend, where the Tigers play Colorado early Tuesday morning at midnight CT on ESPN2. The game is part of ESPN's 24-hour marathon of basketball games. The early-morning tip in the middle of the fall semester presents issues for Pearl, the players and the program -- both financially and academically.

"We are going to try and win more and spend less," Pearl said, according to an Auburn news release. "There are times when it makes sense to fly commercial. We are not pressed for time going out because it's a weekend for travel; we are pressed for time coming back because we are missing classes."

The Tigers traveled via a commercial airliner Sunday and will return on a charter jet immediately following the game Tuesday morning.

Auburn enters the game a 10.5-point underdog against the Buffaloes, who are on the fringe of the Associated Press poll this week as the second-highest team receiving votes outside the top 25.

jbcarol

AL.com sports @aldotcomSports  ·  3 hours ago
#Auburn's Bruce Pearl hints at possible lineup tweaks after Colorado loss http://ow.ly/EuR8Z

QuoteComing off an embarrassing 90-59 loss at Colorado, Auburn's basketball team could have a new look in Friday's home game against Louisiana-Lafayette.

When healthy, guards KT Harrell and Antoine Mason and forward/center Cinmeon Bowers seem to have solidified starting roles in Auburn's lineup in head coach Bruce Pearl's eyes. The rest of the team? Not so much.

Forward Jordon Granger failed to score a point in 20 minutes on the court, but managed to pull down five rebounds for the undersized Tigers. Fellow starter Tahj Shamsid-Deen, who started all 30 games at point guard last season, returned from his shoulder injury in the season opener and finished with just two points and two assists in 22 minutes.

"You can tell, in a game like this, who belonged out there," Pearl told the Auburn IMG Sports Network after Tuesday's loss. "KT Harrell belonged out there. Cinmeon Bowers belonged out there. K.C. Ross-Miller, offensively, belonged out there. You go beyond that, it's really hard to look at Jordon (Granger), who didn't score and Tahj (Shamsid-Deen) who was 1-for-8, but God bless for playing with the shoulder that got separated.

"We're not very deep, so obviously we're up against it."

jbcarol

AL.com sports @aldotcomSports  ·  1 hour ago
One of Auburn's top basketball stars may miss second straight game http://ow.ly/EyWgX

Grad transfer guard Antoine Mason is recovering from an ankle injury

AL.com sports @aldotcomSports  ·  1 hour ago
Surgery will not be required on Matthew Atewe's injured shin http://ow.ly/Ez1cM

QuoteThe Auburn forward re-opened a fracture near the steel rod doctors inserted into his left leg in April, but surgery will not be required to repair the damage, coach Bruce Pearl said Wednesday.

"He's just going to have to sit and heal," Pearl said.

Doctors have explained to Pearl that the re-opened fracture is more conducive for healing than the previous fracture. Surgery was required in April because the stress fracture did not open at a great depth allowing more blood flow and healing.

"Now, the same crack has reopened but its opened at a greater depth, not all the way through, which is going to create more blood (flow), which will create some more trauma, which will create a much stronger heal," Pearl said. "So, Matthew is going to heal much better because of this injury. It makes sense to me. I hope it makes sense to you -- the doctors explaining that to me. Obviously I did stay at a Holiday Express last night but I'm not a doctor. I'm just repeating what those guys told me and it makes sense."

jbcarol

SportsCenter @SportsCenter  ·  20 minutes ago

ICYMI: Auburn coach Bruce Pearl hits incredible #SCtop10 trick shot from the upper deck of Tigers arena.

Video available at link (fast forward to 1:00 mark)

jbcarol

Alex Byington @AUBlog  ·  16 hours ago

AUBURN BASKETBALL: Tests continue for Tigers vs. Louisiana-Lafayette http://www.oanow.com/sports/college/auburn/basketball/men/article_be4d73f6-7119-11e4-985d-eff74800cd9a.html ...

QuoteBruce Pearl is on a mission to turn around Auburn's men's basketball program.

A part of that mission was pitting his rebuilt squad against teams that have been where he hopes to get — the NCAA Tournament.

That plan looked to backfire Monday night when the Tigers fell apart in the second half of a 90-59 beating at Colorado.

The road only gets tougher Friday night when defending Sun Belt Conference champion Louisiana-Lafayette comes to Auburn Arena for an 8 p.m. tip.

Louisiana-Lafayette is the final on-campus game of the MGM Grand Main Event tournament, which includes for the Tigers two games Monday and Wednesday against Tulsa and the winner between Oklahoma State or Oregon State, in Las Vegas. The Wisconsin-Milwaukee game last Friday was the first on-campus game in the event...

jbcarol

Auburn Basketball @AuburnMBB  ·  17 hours ago
ICYMI here are the highlights from tonight's 105-80 win over Louisiana

http://youtu.be/p57cHnOAf3s

jbcarol

Alex Byington @AUBlog  ·  12 hours ago

Pearl on loss to Texas Tech: "This one is going to sting because we had this one and road wins are hard to come by."

Justin Lee @OAJustinLee  ·  13 hours ago

The game-winner.
[vine]OvXTKeeHxMi[/vine]

jbcarol

Jason Caldwell @ITATJason  ·  13 hours ago

@coachbrucepearl giving out doughnuts with SGA at Auburn Library for finals week

jbcarol

Alex Byington @AUBlog  ·  23 hours ago
AUBURN MEN'S BASKETBALL: Trayvon Reed cleared by NCAA, Alex Thompson rejoins program; both immediately eligible http://www.oanow.com/sports/college/auburn/basketball/men/article_0adb805c-823e-11e4-b013-dbda16ef0ea2.html ...

QuoteBruce Pearl received a massive shot in the arm Friday with the news of three players joining — or in some cases rejoining — the team.
Headlining the new additions is 7-foot-2, 240-pound freshman center Trayvon Reed, who is eligible to participate immediately after the NCAA Clearinghouse officially approved him mid-morning Friday, along with 6-8 sophomore wing Alex Thompson.
"Trayvon Reed became eligible this morning. The last thing we were waiting for was the Clearinghouse," Pearl said. "I'm very pleased that he's been able to get through this process. Like myself, he is appreciative and grateful for the opportunity Auburn is going to give him for a second chance..."

Reed pled guilty to a reduced second-degree misdemeanor assault charge last Friday, according to the Baltimore Sun, stemming from an incident in late July involving an alleged assault of a plain-clothed police officer that resulted in his dismissal from the Maryland basketball team.

Thompson, from Dothan, spent the first semester away from the university after taking "an indefinite leave of absence" along with redshirt freshman center Ronald Delph, who has yet to rejoin the team.

jbcarol

Brandon Marcello @bmarcello  ·  3 hours ago

Bruce Pearl: "We have two great defensive coordinators on our campus: Coach Muschamp and coach Person."

Brandon Marcello @bmarcello  ·  3 hours ago

Auburn G Antoine Mason says he's "80 percent" healthy. He returned to court Saturday after missing 6 straight games w/ ankle injury.

jbcarol

Bruce Pearl a firm believer in second chances

Bruce Pearl is a forgiving sort.

After all, Pearl needed someone to take a chance on him after his tenure at Tennessee ended in disgrace.

QuoteAfter being given new life by the Tigers, it's no surprise Pearl has been equally willing to allow troubled, wayward players a soft landing spot.

Enter Trayvon Reed.

A 7-foot-2, 230-pound center from Montgomery, Ala., Reed was once committed to Maryland. But he never made it to College Park. A July arrest — where Reed was charged with theft under $100, second-degree assault of a police officer and second-degree assault in a shoplifting incident — prevented him from enrolling at Maryland. On Aug. 1, the Terrapins dismissed Reed. He then packed his bags for Florida, where he spent the fall semester at ELEV|8 Sports Institute in Delray Beach.

That set things in motion for him to come to Auburn, giving his commitment to the Tigers in August.

Last Friday, he was finally declared eligible by the NCAA Clearinghouse, taking part in his first game as a Tiger on Sunday...

What convinced Pearl that Reed was the right fit for his program? Size and talent are one thing; breaking a police officer's finger, as Reed did during the incident led to his July arrest, is another.

Pearl said it was a long process, involving several unofficial visits with Reed. Pearl met with "a number of different people on campus." He also spoke with guard KT Harrell, who played on the same travel ball team as Reed growing up in Montgomery.

"It was something that involved a lot of different people in as it relates to visiting with him, interviewing him, talking to him, and trying to make a determination whether or not he could be successful at Auburn and whether he was truly accountable," Pearl said. "It was determined that he was."

While it took the blessing of people above Pearl to bring Reed to Auburn, the coach said where it goes from here ultimately rests with him.

"If things don't work out, it's on me, OK? I don't want to put it on anybody else," he said. "I don't want to hang this on anybody."

Pearl has simply gotten the ball rolling, though. He was given the go-ahead to sign Reed and get him in uniform. Now it's up to Reed to walk the proverbial "straight and narrow" path. If it doesn't happen, Pearl said it wouldn't surprise him...

jbcarol

Wesley Sinor @WesleySinor  ·  12 hours ago
"I hope we can sell this place out on Saturday. For all the fans down here in this part of the state, this will be a treat." Pearl on Xavier

jbcarol

Brandon Marcello @bmarcello  ·  7 hours ago
First 1,000 fans at Xavier-Auburn game tomorrow at Auburn Arena will receive a Bruce Pearl bobblehead.

jbcarol

Brandon Marcello @bmarcello  ·  2 minutes ago
Auburn beats Xavier 89-88 in double overtime. http://www.al.com/auburnbasketball/index.ssf/2014/12/live_college_basketball_update.html ...

Bruce Pearl takes his jacket off and throws (sic) it on to the court as he high-fives folks on radio row.

jbcarol

SEC Sports @SEC  ·  21 hours ago

VIDEO - The @SECNetwork's Tony Delk and Dane Bradshaw discuss @coachbrucepearl's impact on @AuburnMBB: http://www.secsports.com/video/12059572/bruce-pearl-impact-auburn ... #SEC

jbcarol

Tim Cottrell @timcottrell7782  ·  11 hours ago
It's Texas Southern 44, Auburn 35 at the second media timeout of the second half. Shamsid-Deen and Bowers having off nights for AU.

Can anybody out there tell me the last time Texas Southern beat two Power 5 conference opponents in a row?

Auburn 61, Texas Southern 60, final

Jacqui Pearl @JacquiPearl5  ·  10 hours ago
What's a girl gotta do to get a win by 10+ points?! I'll take the W but my heart can't take the drama! #WarEagle

jbcarol

Auburn Gold Mine @AUGoldMine  ·  13 hours ago

Energy and effort and defense, says Bruce Pearl, help Auburn top Middle Tennessee. New story: http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/122914aaa.html ...

Defense carries Auburn to its fourth straight basketball win.

jbcarol

Alex Byington @AUBlog  ·  2 minutes ago

AUBURN MEN'S BASKETBALL: Tigers look to close nonconference slate with 5th straight win http://www.oanow.com/sports/college/auburn/basketball/men/article_0f3da3ec-92d2-11e4-828a-930825beb145.html ...

QuoteThe 2014 year ended on a high note for the Auburn's basketball team, winning four of its seven games in December and currently riding a four-game winning streak...

"I think we continue to make progress," Auburn head coach Bruce Pearl said. "We have established an identity for ourselves defensively and we just have to continue to build."

The last time Auburn won five straight games was in 2009. During that season between Feb. 25 and March 13, the Tigers took down Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Alabama, LSU and Florida. Also during that campaign, Auburn won seven straight from Dec. 6-Jan. 3.

Auburn won't have much time for turnaround as it travels to Vanderbilt to open conference play. Vandy is 9-3 on the season and a perfect 8-0 at home. Following the game at Vanderbilt, Auburn returns home to face Missouri before traveling to Florida.

"I know how excited (North Alabama is) going to be to play us and obviously we have to try not to have any letdowns, trying to look ahead towards conference play," Pearl said.

choppedporkextrasauce

Pearl should never be allowed on a college court. Sleazebag.

Auburn has no shame.

ChicoHog

I hope he doesn't win a conference game.  My least favorite basketball coach by far. 

jbcarol

Auburn mixed lineups, tried a few new things and got some much-needed experience for its bench.

Bruce Pearl, however, wasn't very pleased.

The 82-61 victory against North Alabama wasn't so much about the score Saturday as it was about getting these Tigers ready for the start of the SEC season.

QuoteWe're not good enough for me to have to coach effort and tonight I had to," Auburn coach Bruce Pearl said. "So, that's something that we have to address. It's a long season and what we do isn't very good unless we do it with great effort, great intensity and we didn't tonight. You have to honor the game, play the game with great consistency."

Auburn (8-5) trailed for most of the first half, but its starters got the game under control in the second half as the Tigers cruised to the victory in front of an announced crowd of 8,169 at Auburn Arena. The game against North Alabama, a Division II school, counts as an exhibition for the Lions.

"He wasn't pleased," Auburn guard KT Harrell said of Pearl's post-game speech. "We've got to get better. That's the bottom line."

Harrell finished with a game-high 25 points and four 3-pointers, and Cinmeon Bowers recorded his eighth double-double of the season with 20 points and 11 rebounds.

The Lions led by as many as nine points. The Tigers trailed for a total of 15 minutes.

"I don't know that our bench, with the exception of Malcolm (Canada), really stepped up," Pearl said. "Alex (Thompson) was OK. Alex can play better also."

jbcarol

Vanderbilt 64, Auburn 52: Commodores spoil Pearl's SEC return

NASHVILLE, Tenn. Vanderbilt's strong rebounding and a balanced scoring attack spoiled Auburn coach Bruce Pearl's return to the Southeastern Conference.

Quote"When we don't play with that energy, getting after people and turning people over, then what we do is just OK," Pearl said. "I think our guys have learned that. Vanderbilt is a good team and they run good stuff."

The loss ended Auburn's five-game winning streak.

Auburn (8-6, 0-1) lost its 15th straight SEC road opener and 10th consecutive game to Vanderbilt. Vanderbilt enjoyed a 35-17 edge on the defensive glass.

Auburn's K.T Harrell, a Montgomery native who entered the game as the SEC's second-leading scorer (17.9 ppg), was held to eight points on 3 of 9 shooting as Vanderbilt's Jeff Roberson guarded him tightly.

jbcarol

Auburn's rally comes up short as Vanderbilt drops Tigers in SEC opener

QuoteBruce Pearl started an interesting lineup in this game with K.C. Ross-Miller at point guard and Malcolm Canada at forward, spots usually occupied by Tahj Shamsid-Deen and Jordon Granger. KT Harrell, Auburn's leading scorer, was held to two points in the first half and finished with eight.

History was not on Auburn's side, as the Tigers haven't topped the Commodores in Nashville since 2000. Their last SEC opener on the road came in 1984.

Auburn fell to 8-6 on the year with the loss, while Vanderbilt moved to 11-3.

"It was a game we could have had. You can't play that poorly in the first half and expect to win on the road.

"I've won three times in this building in the six tries prior. I'd say we trailed Vanderbilt 85 percent of those games and won three of them. That's just how it is. So when we were making a run in the second half, I really thought we were going to win the game." -- Auburn' Bruce Pearl

jbcarol

Brandon Marcello @bmarcello  ·  8 hours ago
Auburn 'would be lost' without Cinmeon Bowers, says @coachbrucepearl http://ow.ly/H4VtZ

jbcarol

Joel A. Erickson @JoelAEricksonAU  ·  12 hours ago
Cinmeon Bowers powers Auburn past Missouri for first SEC win under Bruce Pearl http://s.al.com/kAzV4nj

QuoteCinmeon Bowers has been challenged all week.

By his coach, Bruce Pearl, who told Bowers he needed more out of his only post presence. By analysts on the SEC Network, who had said earlier this week that Bowers wouldn't be able to produce against Missouri's 6-foot-11, 270-pound center, Keanau Post.

Then Post took Bowers to the ground with a hard foul on a second-half breakaway. Playing in front of Charles Barkley, the standard for burly, undersized power forwards, Bowers erupted in a controlled second-half rage to lead Auburn to an 85-79 win over Missouri on Saturday night.

"When Post did that, I knew it was war time," Bowers said.

Bowers, a 6-foot-7, 278-pounder who arrived as the nation's No. 1 junior college transfer, is being asked to carry a load almost too heavy even for his broad shoulders to bear.

Working against a bigger, longer Missouri lineup, Bowers pulled down 11 rebounds in the second half, providing the muscle for an Auburn team playing in front of a nearly-packed house at Auburn Arena.

"He plays really hard. Not that we do not, not that everybody else does not, he just seems like he has another gear," Missouri coach Kim Anderson said. "He played with an unbelievable amount of emotion tonight."

jbcarol

AL.com sports @aldotcomSports  ·  2 hours ago
Auburn's Bruce Pearl believes SEC is 'stronger top to bottom' than previous years http://ow.ly/Hd7YX

Would know.

Quote"The conference, to me, looks stronger top to bottom than any time I was in the league," said the first-year Auburn coach, who previously led Tennessee for six seasons.

Twelve teams in the SEC sit in the top 100 of ESPN.com's Ratings Percentage Index, which differs from other RPI ratings.

"I've said from the very beginning of the season that we'd get five (in the NCAA Tournament)," Pearl said. "So what's it going to take? It's going to take five or six teams going based on the math and based on the eye test. What is the eye test? The eye test is Kentucky beating everybody by 40 and they go to overtime against Texas A&M and Ole Miss. Call it what you want. Kentucky is not point shaving; they are trying to win games. They are trying to dominate their opponents and they couldn't dominate two middle of the league SEC teams right now with Texas A&M and Ole Miss."

jbcarol

Bruce Pearl @coachbrucepearl  ·  4 hours ago

I'd like to welcome the students back and give out some Auburn swag, where should I go on campus for lunch? How's @ChickfilA right now!

jbcarol

AL.com sports @aldotcomSports  ·  16 minutes ago

Cheat sheet: #Auburn looking for first win at Florida since 1995 http://ow.ly/HnPlO

QuoteAL.com sports @aldotcomSports  ·  16m 16 minutes ago

Cheat sheet: #Auburn looking for first win at Florida since 1995 http://ow.ly/HnPlO

Florida is riding a 23-game SEC winning streak into this game, but Auburn's Bruce Pearl is 9-6 all-time against Gators head coach Billy Donovan. The Tigers, however, haven't won a game in Gainesville since 1995. Auburn appears to meshing at the right time, but pulling off this upset is easier said than done. Expect Florida's defense and rebounding to be the difference as the Gators aim for their 18th win in the last 19 games with Auburn...

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway @gatorhoops  ·  1 minute ago
Student section now chanting "Sweaty Bruce" for Auburn coach Bruce Pearl.

Chiozza 3-pointer puts Florida up 59-39. After Auburn cuts lead to 15, Gators answer with quick 5-0 run.

jbcarol

Edgar Thompson @osgators  ·  1 minute ago
"He outcoached me," Bruce Pearl said #Gators Billy Donovan.

jbcarol

Mark Long @APMarkLong  ·  15 hours ago

Bruce Pearl on Gators: "They're down this year? It's because people here are spoiled."

jbcarol

Edgar Thompson @osgators  ·  17 hours ago

Tonight's #Gators win was Billy Donovan's largest margin of victory over Bruce Pearl in 14 meetings.

jbcarol

GoGamecocks.com @gogamecocks  ·  1 minute ago
Auburn leads USC 39-29 at halftime.

jbcarol

Alex Byington @AUBlog  ·  10 minutes ago
It's clear this Auburn basketball team FEEDS off the energy it gets from its home crowd. Tigers have a 20-pt differential on the road.

jbcarol

Final from Auburn Arena

So. Carolina 68  Auburn 71

jbcarol

Wesley Sinor @WesleySinor  ·  11 minutes ago
KT Harrell lifts #Auburn past South Carolina in front of raucous home crowd http://www.al.com/auburnbasketball/index.ssf/2015/01/auburn_south_carolina.html ...

Bruce Pearl: "(South Carolina's) an NCAA Tournament team. That team will finish in the top five or six of our league."

jbcarol

Dana Sulonen @DanaSulonen  ·  11 hours ago

final: Mississippi State 78, Auburn 71.

Second-half surge not enough for Auburn after first-half drought dooms Tigers vs. MSU (via @DanaSulonen) http://www.oanow.com/sports/college/auburn/basketball/men/article_cf096a2e-a1f7-11e4-b5c5-2fa96bac4ce5.html ...

Kim Hudson @kimberlybhudson  ·  11 hours ago
Love the "never quit" attitude of @AuburnMBB...and the suit and sneaker look of @coachbrucepearl and his staff. #WDE

Michael Bonner @MikeBBonner  ·  11 hours ago
Rick Ray emphasized play in the post vs. Auburn Cinmeon Bowers. Gavin Ware dominated inside with 16 points and a career-high 17 rebounds.

jbcarol

Joel A. Erickson @JoelAEricksonAU  ·  2 hours ago

'No chance' Auburn forward Matthew Atewe returns this season http://s.al.com/ipezsCb

QuoteAtewe, who re-injured the fracture in his left leg that doctors repaired in the offseason during Auburn's exhibition win over West Alabama, initially had hoped he might return.

Doctors determined that the fracture, which took place near a steel rod placed in his leg in April, would not need surgery, but the leg isn't at a place where Atewe might return in the next two months.

"I don't see there's any chance he plays this year," Pearl said. "It's still a work in progress, but there's no chance he comes back this season."

Atewe initially tweeted in November that the injury would cost him the season, but at the time, Pearl wasn't willing to rule out a return.

jbcarol

Brandon Marcello @bmarcello  ·  16 hours ago
Alabama is an 11.5-point favorite at home Saturday against Auburn, according to @TwitVI.

jbcarol

Bruce Pearl wants to grow basketball rivalry; 'there is no team I want to beat more than Alabama'

QuotePearl knows exactly where he fits in the Iron Bowl of basketball, which tips off at 7:30 p.m. tonight at Coleman Coliseum in the rivalry's first installment this season.

"You want to win them all, but there is no team I want to beat more than Alabama in the SEC, because I am Auburn's coach," Pearl said. "That's how I feel, that's how our fans feel."

Pearl, as he always has since taking over the Auburn rebuilding project in March, has a grand vision for the future of the Iron Bowl of basketball.

Tonight's game will be televised on the SEC Network.

No offense to the league's flagship television channel -- and no coach has been more vocal in support of the SEC -- but Pearl wants to make the Auburn-Alabama basketball rivalry as must-see as the football rivalry, which rarely strays off of a national audience.

"I'd like to try to think that in a couple of years this game could be on ESPN or CBS, as opposed to the SEC Network," Pearl said. "I've got to get our program to the point where it can be looked at that way. It's not right now."

Auburn (10-8, 2-3 SEC) has been a study in inconsistency in Pearl's first season...

jbcarol

[vine]OTWeYBbXLHn[/vine]

Alex Byington @AUBlog  ·  9 minutes ago
Here you go folks. #calminghandsofBowers RT @AuburnReddit: Vine video version of the Cinmeon massage:

jbcarol

Alex Byington @AUBlog  ·  1 minute ago
Randolph shot misses but Rodney Cooper is there to put it back in for the 57-55 lead on Auburn with 4.7 seconds left. Tigers needed that reb

jbcarol

Alex Byington @AUBlog  ·  11 seconds ago
Last play goes nowhere and Alabama holds on to beat Auburn 57-55 at home. That's a second-straight loss for Auburn in SEC play.

jbcarol

Vince Ferrara @VinceSports  ·  15 hours ago
Anthony Grant w/blow-by handshake. Barely looked at him. Bruce Pearl seemed like he was expecting more. #AUBvsBAMA

jbcarol

Cecil Hurt @CecilHurt  ·  17 hours ago
Bruce Pearl taking time to shake hands with C.M. Newton in the Alabama press room. Classy gesture.

Pearl: "I've got great respect for Anthony. Wimp and Sonny were great friends and they went at each other."