Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC-W Recruiting Updates

Started by jbcarol, June 10, 2012, 07:36:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/59477/alabama-adds-nine-early-enrollees

The Crimson Tide added seven high school seniors, quarterback Cooper Bateman of Salt Lake City, Utah; quarterback Luke Del Rio of Highlands Ranch, Colo.; wide receiver Raheeem Falkins of New Orleans; running back Derrick Henry of Yulee, Fla.; tight end O.J. Howard of Prattville, Ala.; quarterback Parker McLeod of Marietta, Ga.; and defensive back Jai Miller of Valley Grande, Ala.

Also, a junior college transfer in offensive lineman Leon Brown from ASA Institute in New York, and a post-graduate in offensive lineman Brandon Hill (Hargrave Military Academy).

The two biggest additions to Alabama's spring roster will be Henry and Howard. Henry, an ESPN 150 member, is the No. 1 athlete in the country and had a historic high school career at running back.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Wide receiver Laquon Treadwell from Crete-Monee High School in Crete, Ill., has committed to Ole Miss.

The nation's No. 1 wide receiver according to ESPN chose Ole Miss over Oklahoma and Oklahoma State.

Ole Miss has 21 commitments for the class of 2013.

http://m.mrsec.com/2013/01/laquon-treadwell-commits-to-ole-missqu/

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on January 15, 2013, 06:44:15 pmAll of LSU's early enrollees are eligible to participate in spring practice, which is expected to begin in March.

LSU is still waiting on two other early enrollees: quarterback Hayden Rettig (6-4, 222) of Los Angeles Cathedral and wide receiver Avery Johnson (6-2, 180) of Hargrave Military Academy in Virginia and Pompano Beach, Fla.

Rettig's issue is believed to be a minor paperwork matter. Johnson, younger brother of former LSU All-American cornerback Patrick Peterson, is waiting for the NCAA Clearinghouse to approve his test score.

Johnson's father, Patrick Peterson Sr., said Monday he remains confident his son will be able to enroll at LSU for the spring semester.

"For sure," Peterson said in a text message.

LSU has a total of 26 commitments/signees for its Class of 2013.

http://theadvocate.com/sports/lsu/4917440-123/lsu-football-welcomes-six-early

Sports Information Director Michael Bonnette said Wednesday that quarterback Hayden Rettig and wide receiver Avery Johnson were admitted to LSU as enrollees for the Spring 2013 semester.

Classes began Monday.

Rettig (6-foot-3, 205 pounds) of Los Angeles Cathedral, was delayed by a paperwork issue.

Johnson (6-1, 185) of Pompano Beach (Fla.) Blanche Ely had to wait for a test score to be approved by the NCAA Clearinghouse. He signed with LSU in 2012 and prepped at Hargrave (Va.) Military Academy this past year.

Johnson is the younger brother of former LSU All-American cornerback Patrick Peterson.

DeltaBoy

Time to celebrate what we have coming.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

jbcarol

Auburn hosting multiple recruits committed elsewhere for official visits

QuoteLeading the pack will be uncommitted five-star defensive back Tony Conner from powerhouse South Panola High School in Batesville, Mississippi. Conner, a 6-foot-1, 200-pound five-star prospect, visited Alabama last weekend and will look to see how Auburn stacks up against the Tide before making his final decision on National Signing Day.

Joining Conner will be a handful of elite prospects currently committed elsewhere, including a pair of star wide receivers. Texas A&M commit Tony Stevens and Nebraska commit Dominic Walker are teammates at Orlando's Evans High School and the friends and teammates will visit the Plains together this weekend. The two have talked publicly about the appeal of possibly playing together at the college level, and Malzahn and staff are offering just such an opportunity to the two star playmakers.

The Tigers will also look to steal away a top commit from Notre Dame as four-star running back Tarean Folston takes a somewhat surprising visit to the Plains. (Folston is thought to be a better fit for the SEC in part because his girl friend is real.)

Florida commit James Hearns will be in town with the Tallahassee native opting to push back his official visit to the Gators in favor of heading to Auburn this weekend.

Auburn will also look to continue their pursuit of Arkansas commit Khari Harding this weekend.

jbcarol

Nick Saban making it rain in Georgia. I feel like it's raining all over the world.

QuoteWhen this A-lister walked down the halls, there were people who actually broke down in tears upon sight.

"Yes, it was unbelievable," Ridgeland High School coach Mark Mariakis said with a laugh, confirming the tears of joy that were shed at his school.

"It was a state of disbelief that Coach Saban was in our school. It was a frenzy. We had to strategically go down the hall at certain times, meeting teachers, and going from Point A to Point B. Coach Saban was as professional and classy, and handled it as well as anybody could've. I know he's used to it.

"Once one kid or teacher saw him, the text messages and tweets started flying. The next thing you know, little heads are poking outside of classrooms. And it was hard to tell the kids not to come out and get autographs when the teachers were coming out and getting autographs."

The Great One was at Ridgeland to visit one of Alabama's top remaining targets, 5-star safety Vonn Bell. The funny thing is that this was Saban second trip to Ridgeland. On his first one around four years ago (to sign another Ridgeland player), Saban could strut by the classrooms with only a few people paying attention.

"But that was before Alabama had won the first one," Mariakis said.

jbcarol

Notre Dame running back commit Tarean Folston says he likes Auburn's offense during visit

QuoteThe 5-foot-10, 200-pounder said today he liked what he heard from head coach Gus Malzahn and offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee, and said he was impressed with running backs coach Rich Bisaccia,

"Coach Bisaccia is my man," Folston said.

Folston also knows Auburn assistant Dameyune Craig from his coaching days at Florida State.

"He recruited me at Florida State, and they were in my Top 3 before I made my commitment," Folston said. "Coach Craig is a cool guy. I can relate to him on a lot of stuff. We communicate a lot."

Folston rushed for 1,722 yards and 16 touchdowns last season in Cocoa.

jbcarol

Four-star receiver Tony Stevens flips commitment from A&M to Auburn

First high school player to commit since Gus Malzahn was hired as the head coach.

QuoteThe 6-foot-3, 175-pound receiver had 29 catches for 516 yards and seven touchdowns in 2012 at Evans High School in Orlando.

Stevens said a recruiting pitch from wide receiver coach Dameyune Craig carried a lot of weight.

"It was big. He's a cool guy. He's funny. He's just down to earth and knows how to have fun," Stevens said.

Stevens was recruited by Craig when he was an assistant at Florida State. Stevens also had offers from Florida and Georgia, among others.

Stevens figures he'll have a chance to play early. "It was a factor, but anywhere I go I'm going to have to compete."

He said he was also impressed by the facilities, especially the business school.

Goldberg

DeltaBoy

The Trashman is cleaning up getting then to ArBarn
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

jbcarol

Jordan Wilkins ‏@jordanwilkins2
Decommitted from AU.... Thanks for all the love from the fans but I have to do what's best for me.

jbcarol

Edmund Santa Fe High Safety Khari Harding commits to Auburn.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Austin Allen ‏@austinallen8
S/O to my flying Hawaiian big lineman Reeve Koehler on committing to the Razorbacks!

Austin Allen ‏@austinallen8
Catfish Hole is the craziest experience of my life! Hog fans are so awesome

jbcarol

Holy Cross wide receiver Kevin Spears commited to LSU Saturday night. The 6-foot-2, 191-pound Spears was on an official visit and confirmed the news via text message.

QuoteSpears, the 27th commitment, is the third wide receiver in the class and fills a position of need for the Tigers.

Spears, the one-time basketball player who has played football for only two years, flew under the radar until late in his senior season.

Spears committed to Louisiana Tech after a visit last weekend. But after learning of his commitment to the Bulldogs, LSU recruiting coordinator and running backs coach Frank Wilson called Spears to discuss a scholarship offer from LSU.

Spears was the only uncommitted prospect on campus for the Tigers this weekend, and his commitment likely ends LSU's hunt for prep-level wide receivers for the 2013 class.

jbcarol

Jay G. Tate ‏@JayGTate
Hey, @RecruitingAJC. If my 10-year-old daughter wrote that piece about Saban, I'd admonish her. Grounded for a week -- minimum.

Jay G. Tate ‏@JayGTate
People weeping in the halls? Malzahn under a desk? RT @mitchellsager: @JayGTate @RecruitingAJC What did you find so objectionable about it?

Jay G. Tate ‏@JayGTate
@mitchellsager Nobody is weeping in the hallways!

jbcarol

Handley OL Bradley Bozeman says he'll 'grayshirt' for Alabama

QuoteHandley High School standout offensive lineman Bradley Bozeman, who has been committed to Alabama since June of 2011, has opted to take a grayshirt offer from Alabama, meaning he will delay his enrollment until next January.

Bozeman, a 6-foot-5, 305-pound interior lineman who missed the latter half of his senior season with a torn ACL, told 247Sports that he made the decision to delay his enrollment after sitting down with the Crimson Tide coaching staff this weekend during an official visit.

jbcarol

Report that 6-3, 250 Avon, IN defensive end Elijah Daniel has given a verbal to Ole Miss.  5.9-rated WDE on Rivals with impressive offer list.

jbcarol

Tim Brewster ‏@TimBrewster
"@griffinannie: @TimBrewster Coach Brew do all the concerned recruits know Chris Kiffin is headed to Dallas?"Yes!! #HailState

Chris Kiffin ‏@Chris_Kiffin
@TimBrewster @griffinannie I'm not going to Dallas! I'm going to stay here and keep winning the Egg Bowl with my Rebels! #hottytoddy

Ross Bjork ‏@RossBjorkAD
@RussellAdamsC @timbrewster @chriskiffin Nothing to see here - we know @Chriskiffin is an Ole Miss Rebel..........

Brandon Marcello ‏@bmarcello
Last three re-tweets a convo sparked by MSU WR coach Tim Brewster, including responses from Ole Miss DL coach Chris Kiffin, AD Ross Bjork.

https://twitter.com/bmarcello

jbcarol

Alvin Kamara, the AJC's Mr. Football, took an official visit to co-leader Alabama over the weekend and ranked it as an "8" on a scale of 1-10.

It was the first recruiting trip for the prized running back from Norcross.

QuoteKamara's other co-leader is UGA, where he will go on Friday.

"The only reason it wasn't a 10 is because I had like 6 hours of sleep the whole weekend, so I'm exhausted." Recruits are kept on a frantic pace when taking official visits to colleges.

Kamara and Nick Saban, who has guided Alabama to three BCS championships in the last four years, had a long and revealing conversation.

"Coach (Saban) said I'm 'different' and that it's good to different, as far as my playing ability. He explained to me the matchup problems that I can create at the running back position – being able to be a great 'running back' but also having the versatility and the skillset to be able to motion of out the backfield and be an effective weapon in the passing game."

Alabama has three other running backs committed for 2013 class, including 5-star Derrick Henry (the ex-UGA commit) and Walton High School standout Tyren Jones.

"I mean this in the nicest way possible ... I don't really care what people think or say about that situation," Kamara said. "I'm fully aware of the three running backs coming in my class, so at this point I just laugh when people talk Alabama and depth."

Meanwhile, UGA has only one 2013 commit at running back, AJ Turman of Orlando – who is ranked lower than Kamara across the board. Kamara is rated as the nation's No. 4 RB by ESPN.

Who is Kamara favoring right now? "No one is leading right now," he said.

jbcarol

Linebacker Jonathan Walton from Bayside Academy in Daphne, Ala., is no longer committed to Penn State (where Ted Roof was the DC in 2012 and Jerry Sandusky was the DC in the last century).

He has already taken official visits to South Carolina and Tennessee and plans to visit Auburn this upcoming weekend.

"After that, I'll probably take a week to think about it and then decide where I want to play my college football," Walton said. "I do plan to stay in the SEC."

http://www.mrsec.com/2013/01/walton-decommits-from-penn-state-plans-to-play-in-sec/

jbcarol

Keith Niebuhr ‏@Niebuhr247
RT @sheadixon: Seems like an #LSU vs. #UCLA battle for Priest Willis RT @pwillisjr3 I'm committing tomorrow stay tuned for the time and...

jbcarol

Wenonah senior De'Runnya Wilson, the reigning 2012 Birmingham News Metro Basketball Player of the Year, committed to play basketball and football in Starkville on Monday night.

Wilson chose the Bulldogs over an offer and heavy interest in Auburn. The 6-foot-6 Wilson has been a part of back-to-back state championship basketball teams at Wenonah.

He returned to the football field for the first time since his freshman season this fall and responded with a dominating effort. Despite very few targets per game, Wilson had 23 catches for 482 yards and seven touchdowns.

He showed of a variety of skills, including the ability to boom the ball on kickoffs and field goals. The willing downfield blocker also had three sacks in limited reps on the defensive line.

He averaged 16 points and 13 rebounds per game last season for the Dragons on the hardwood.

Wilson said his recruiting is "done" and no longer plans to take the official visit to Auburn he's planned on taking before National Signing Day.

"Tim Brewster is why I am going to play in Starkville," Wilson said. "He feels like a father to me. I just like the way he came at me. Most coaches were telling me I was going to be a star at their school.

"That coach (Brewster) came at me like he was going to push me to the limit," he said.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/01/wenonah_senior_derunnya_commit.html

jbcarol

Vin Ascolese
middle linebacker
North Bergen HS
North Bergen, NJ
College of the Sequoias
HT: 6' 2"
WT: 220 lbs
40: 4.56
Class of 2014

jbcarol

Milton RB Peyton Barber got a last-minute scholarship offer from Texas and was scheduled to take an official visit there on Thursday. However, Barber has decided to cancel the recruiting trip with the Longhorns.

"Yes, he is not going," Milton coach Howie DeCristofaro told the AJC.

"He decided that he wasn't going to sign with Texas, so why waste anybody's time and take a visit?

QuoteBarber is officially committed to Ole Miss, and may be shutting things down after meeting with Rebels coach Hugh Freeze on Monday night.

"I think Coach Freeze probably told him that if you're committed to us, there's no probably no reason for you to take any more visits," DeCristofaro said.

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on January 22, 2013, 01:42:43 pm
RT @sheadixon: Seems like an #LSU vs. #UCLA battle for Priest Willis RT @pwillisjr3 I'm committing tomorrow stay tuned for the time and...

Safeties Priest Willis and Tahaan Goodman gave verbals to UCLA over LSU.

jbcarol

Ole Miss lost a commit yesterday in athlete Charles Williams, who now plans on signing with Louisville. The three-star prospect committed in late July and looked like a potential big-hitter in the secondary.

Five-star defensive end and MSU commit Chris Jones of Houston will have a visit with Alabama today and may visit Ole Miss this weekend.

DE Jason Carr has been a guy that Ole Miss has been in on ever since Derek Dooley was fired from Tennessee. But reports last night from 247Sports.com said Carr is sticking with Tennessee.

DE Carl Lawson also seems to be out of the picture for Ole Miss, per multiple reports.

http://blogs.clarionledger.com/um/2013/01/23/hit-the-links-crootin-crootin-and-some-other-things/

jbcarol

Auburn has received a commitment from linebacker Kenny Flowers from Hutchinson (Kan.) Community College.

http://www.mrsec.com/category/recruiting/

jbcarol

A&M has added to its deep group of wide receivers in the 2013 class with a commitment from Sebastian LaRue.

http://www.mrsec.com/category/recruiting/http://www.mrsec.com/category/recruiting/

jbcarol

jbcarol

Dee Liner, Altee Tenpenny make SI's All-Name Team for recruits

QuoteHe points to Dee Liner, a 6-foot-2, 274-pound defensive lineman ranked as the No. 2 strongside defensive end in the country by Rivals.com, as tops on that list.

One of Nick Saban's commits also made the list. North Little Rock, Ark., tailback Altee Tenpenny has the best "pure name," according to Staples, since it is his legal name.

Liner's legal name is Davion.

According to the report, they have some big shoes - or names - to replace. Previous names on the list included LSU defensive end Barkevious Mingo and Central Florida's Jose Jose.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Ole Miss got a verbal from Cedar Hill WR Quincy Adeboyejo during his visit. Adeboyejo was an A&M commit. Rivals rates him a 4-star.

jbcarol

Report that Damian Williams, a 3-star pro style QB from Metairie flipped from So. Miss. to Miss. State.

jbcarol

RT @pj247sports: South Panola (Miss.) off lineman Deon Mix tells Bulldawgs247 in a text that he is "decommitting" from #MissState

South Panola 4-star OG.

jbcarol

Billy Liucci ‏@billyliucci
...A&M's Junior Day...

Billy Liucci ‏@billyliucci
Garland Lakeview OL Kealvin "Tank" Davis has left Aggieland as A&M's 7th commitment for 2014. Big-time addition to the class for Ags

Kevin Sumlin ‏@CoachSumlin
YESSIR!

jbcarol

Plenty of questions to answer before signing day (Herndon column)

QuoteHow many running backs can Alabama land?

Tenpenny is being worked hard by Arkansas, where new head coach Bret Bielema has a strong track record with running backs.

And Alabama is still hot after Norcross (Ga.) all-purpose back Alvin Kamara...

What will Reuben and Dee do?

Former Auburn commits Reuben Foster and Dee Liner are the top uncommitted prospects in the state...

Can Gus Malzahn keep it together?

How will Ole Miss finish?

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: jbcarol on January 27, 2013, 10:24:33 pm
RT @pj247sports: South Panola (Miss.) off lineman Deon Mix tells Bulldawgs247 in a text that he is "decommitting" from #MissState

South Panola 4-star OG.

Between Mix's decomitt and Jones visiting Oxford, State fans are approaching meltdown.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Denham Springs, La., running back Kaleb Blanchard informed the USA coaching staff he intends to sign with the Jaguars on national signing day Wednesday.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/01/rb_kaleb_blanchard_gives_verba.html

jbcarol

George Campbell Jr ‏@GeorgeCampbell0
Offer #10 Arkansas Truly Blessed #Razorbacks

jbcarol

Lan Cleveland ‏@Derrex10
Decommitted from GT. Committed to Mississippi State. I'm a #DOG

jbcarol

Denham Springs defensive lineman Tevin Lawson is weighing his options after being asked by LSU about potentially grayshirting.

"LSU asked him to grayshirt Monday morning," Denham Springs Coach Dru Nettles said. "He and his family are pursuing what other avenues or options there may be and what may be best — if that's the grayshirt or if that's some other school."

The issue stemmed from concern whether Lawson would qualify academically, which Nettles assured would be the case.

http://www.nola.com/recruiting/index.ssf/2013/01/tevin_lawson_weighing_lsu_gray.html

jbcarol

Players who have flipped to Auburn

Ben Bradley
Defensive lineman
Hutchinson Community College, Kansas
Decommitted from Tennessee

Kenny Flowers
Linebacker
Hutchinson Community College, Kansas
Originally committed with A&M

Khari Harding
Safety
Santa Fe High School, Edmond, Okla.
Flipped from Arkansas

Tony Stevens
Wide receiver
Evans High School, Orlando
Flipped from A&M

Dominic Walker
Wide receiver
Evans High School, Orlando
Flipped from Nebraska

Players who have decommitted

Jarrad Davis
Linebacker
Camden County High, Kingsland, Ga.
Davis decided to flip his commitment to Florida on Dec. 15, shortly after Gus Malzahn was hired.

Reuben Foster
Linebacker
Auburn High (tattooed)
Decommitted, but Auburn remains a major player

Jahmere Irvin-Sills
Cornerback
Eastern Christian Academy, Bear, Del.
Irvin-Sills de-committed after the Tigers revamped their recruiting efforts at defensive back.

Arshad Jackson
Tight End
Lovejoy High, Hampton, Ga.
Jackson was recruited when the Tigers still ran a Scot Loeffler offense

Lemond Johnson
Safety
Cooper City High, Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
Johnson, another player who Auburn decided not to pursue after the shift in defensive backs, enrolled early at Tennessee

Trey Johnson
Linebacker
Central Gwinnett High, Lawrenceville, Ga.

Dee Liner
Defensive tackle
Muscle Shoals High School
The Tigers stuck with him during a couple of arrests

Jordan Wilkins
Running back
St. Benedict High, Cordova, Tenn.

JaQuay Williams
Wide receiver
Fork Union (Va.) Military
Williams originally signed with Auburn as part of the 2012 signing class, but failed to qualify. He reopened his recruitment after a season at a prep school
Enrolled at A&M

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2013/02/countdown_to_signing_day_after.html

jbcarol

Arkansas tight ends coach Barry Lunney Jr. visited Osceola ATH Korliss Marshall to inform him of his offer Wednesday.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2013/feb/01/marshall-humbled-hog-offer/