Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC-W Recruiting Updates

Started by jbcarol, June 10, 2012, 07:36:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Auburn's recruiting has taken some body blows since the firing of Gene Chizik.

At least six prospects have de-committed from Auburn since the coaching change.

Within the last few weeks, Auburn has lost four longtime commits from Georgia.

Even though it's a high turnover – at least right now – and it stings, it's a perfectly normal situation after a coaching change. New Auburn coach Gus Malzahn has been hustling all over the Southeast to recruit since he got the job. He met with Carl Lawson and Trey Johnson, among others, last week. He also checked in on 5-star DT Montravius Adams, who is undecided.

http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2012/12/17/auburn-loses-another-georgia-football-recruit/

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Days after adding the state's top-ranked 2013 player, the Aggies garnered a commitment from, potentially, the state's top-ranked 2014 player.

La Porte linebacker Hoza Scott — ranked as the No. 1 linebacker in the junior class — chose the Aggies over offers from Alabama, Florida State and LSU among others.

Scott is the fifth commitment for the 2014 class — and the fourth defender.

http://www.aggiesports.com/blogs/from_the_press_box/article_dbcb189e-44a1-11e2-abdd-0019bb2963f4.html

After a flurry of recruiting activity, the dead period begins on Monday...

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/12/what_theyre_saying_around_the_23.html
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on June 15, 2012, 04:40:25 pm
This is not a rant, just an observation.  We need to recruit better to keep up.
as i read #2 uf #3 bama #5 uga #6 a&m #9 barn #12 lsu , i screamed 'f***!' as i realised a&m is sitting in our dream spot on the cusp and we are behind Vandy.... with an all-whiteboy staff of yankees in the dirty souff and we gotta compete with THAT?? I like the staff and the hire but good God mane!! One of the guys we got needs to be able to get us a couple 5*s a year and I just don't see it. Maybe Hammock can be that guy.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

jbcarol

Two elite Alabama recruits close to decisions

al.com will take an in-depth look at the top remaining targets for the Crimson Tide with updates on where Alabama stands with each player...

Reuben Foster
The nation's top wide receiver prospect is scheduled to announce his college decision this Friday at 1:30 p.m. CST.
Top Competition: Auburn, Georgia

Dee Liner
Top Competition: Auburn

Robert Nkemdiche
Top Competition: Ole Miss, LSU

Robert Foster
Top Competition: Pitt

Laremy Tunsil
Top Competition: Georgia, Florida State

Vonn Bell
Top Competition: Tennessee

Nate Andrews
Top Competition: Florida State

Eldridge Massington
Massington's decision, which he'll announce on Saturday, could hinge on whether Robert Foster chooses the Tide on Friday.

Top Competition: UCLA, Arizona State

Alvin Kamara
Alabama and Georgia are the two finalists for this four-star athlete, who was among the most explosive offensive weapons in the state of Georgia this season. A logjam at the running back position could dissuade Kamara from choosing the Tide if he wishes to play his high school position at the next level.

Top Competition: Georgia

Austin Golson
Top Competition: Florida State

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2012/12/two_elite_alabama_recruits_clo.html

jbcarol

Mississippi State and Ole Miss are still actively pursuing junior college players a day before the Juco signing period begins.

Lavon Hooks, defensive tackle, Northeast Mississippi Community College
Considering: Ole Miss, Washington, and MSU

Za'Darius Smith, defensive end, East Mississippi Community College
Considering: MSU, Ole Miss, Florida, Texas A&M

Rihayd Jones, defensive back, Garden City Community College (KS)
Considering: Kansas State, Indiana, MSU, Ole Miss

Tommy Sanders, linebacker, Butler Community College (KS)
Considering: South Carolina, Texas A&M, Ohio State, MSU

Juco players committed to Ole Miss:
Nickolas Brassell, wide receiver and defensive back, East Mississippi CC

Juco players committed to MSU:
Jeremy Chappelle, wide receiver, Tyler Junior College

http://blogs.clarionledger.com/recruiting/2012/12/18/juco-signing-day-primer/

jbcarol

Tommy Sanders picked A&M over runner-up Ohio State, while also considering offers from South Carolina and Mississippi State.

Sanders, a 6-foot-2, 220-pound linebacker from Crisp County, GA  played the last two seasons at Butler junior college in Kansas. He is ranked as a 4-star recruit by ESPN.

"Playing in the SEC, coming from the South, that was a goal for me," Sanders told the AJC. "Texas A&M had been recruiting me for a while, I've got a good relationship with the coaches, and there's a good chance for me to come in and be a leader on that defense."

http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2012/12/18/georgia-lb-commits-to-texas-am-over-ohio-state/

jbcarol

Malzahn predicts Auburn recruiting will 'smooth out' as coaching staff is completed

New Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said Wednesday morning he could bring in a few junior college players to fill some holes for his 2013 Tigers -- and then proved it by signing No. 1 junior college running back Cameron Artis-Payne  of Allan Hancock College in California. The 5-foot-11, 215-pound Artis-Payne has rushed for 3,202 in two years.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2012/12/gus_malzahn_predicts_auburn_re.html

jbcarol

Today is the first day eligible junior college players can sign with four-year institutions, and as expected Mississippi State has picked up two signatures.

Four-star defensive back Justin Cox, who signed with the Bulldogs in 2011, and three-star receiver Jeremey Chappelle, signed on the line which is dotted today. They'll be on campus in January...

Both Chappelle and Cox will compete for starting jobs in the spring, so their addition to the roster is big news.

We're still waiting to hear from Northeast Mississippi defensive tackle Lavon Hooks, who delayed his announcement twice already today and has yet to name a school despite tweeting that his decision would come at 1 p.m.

Hooks is the No. 1 junior college player in the state...

http://blogs.clarionledger.com/msu/2012/12/19/chappelle-cox-sign-with-bulldogs-what-about-hooks/

jbcarol

Hinds Community College receiver Quadarias Mireles signed with Ole Miss Wednesday morning, becoming the first junior college prospect to sign with Ole Miss on the day.

ESPN.com rates Mireles as the No. 8 overall player in the junior college ranks. He's listed as an athlete, but is expected to be a wide receiver at Ole Miss. He originally signed with the school in 2010.

East Mississippi Community College also officially announced that Nick Brassell is headed back to Ole Miss. Brassell left Ole Miss this spring because of academics, and played both ways at EMCC as he tried to shore up his grades.

Brassell did not have to sign with Ole Miss and will not count towards this year's recruiting class numbers. He only counts against the 85 total scholarships Ole Miss can reward.

Ole Miss also confirmed that two high school mid-year enrollees are officially members of the team. Running back Mark Dodson led Whitehaven High School in Memphis to a state championship and was the Gatorade player of the year for the state.

Tight end Christian Morgan of Plano, Texas, is considered the No. 11 tight end nationally according to Scout.com. Both players are considered four-star prospects.

Both signed financial aid grants, and will join Ole Miss in January.

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20121219/SPORTS030103/121219030

jbcarol

Shea Dixon ‏@Sheadixon
JUCO TE Logan Stokes says he has signed and faxed in his LOI to #LSU. Will participate in spring workouts w the team.

jbcarol

Yancy Porter ‏@YancyPorter
CB Zach Witchett did not advance enough in the classroom as hoped at Hinds CC this fall. The Rebels have parted ways.

jbcarol

The first official commitment of the Gus Malzahn era signed with Auburn on Wednesday.

Running back Cameron Artis-Payne of Allan Hancock Community College in Santa Maria, Calif., signed his letter of intent with Auburn, Malzahn announced in a news release Wednesday, the first day junior college players could officially sign.

"I chose Auburn because of the history of the school and because they put out a lot of great running backs," Artis-Payne said when he first committed in November. "I'm really excited about starting my Division I career."

In 10 games this season, Artis-Payne rushed for 2,048 yards and 25 touchdowns on 261 attempts. The 5-11, 220-pound back broke four school records for rushing yards and touchdowns...

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/article/20121220/SPORTS0402/312200016/Auburn-football-Malzahn-signs-JUCO-runner

NoNC4Tubs

Quote from: jbcarol on December 18, 2012, 07:20:32 pm
Two elite Alabama recruits close to decisions

al.com will take an in-depth look at the top remaining targets for the Crimson Tide with updates on where Alabama stands with each player...

Reuben Foster
The nation's top wide receiver prospect is scheduled to announce his college decision this Friday at 1:30 p.m. CST.
Top Competition: Auburn, Georgia

Incorrect!

It's Robert Foster (WR) that is announcing today.....

jbcarol

Robert Foster, rated by ESPN as the No. 2 receiver prospect in the country, announced Friday that he planned on signing with the Crimson Tide. The 6-foot-3, 190-pound Foster is from Monaca, Pa., and picked Alabama over Pittsburgh.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/58155/alabama-lands-top-receiver-prospect

jbcarol

Paul Finebaum ‏@finebaum
So this means Saban is staying, right?@MattScalici: Robert Foster's commitment moves Bama to the No. 1 spot in the rankings.

jbcarol

Auburn got a junior college offensive guard for Christmas.

The school announced today that Devonte Danzey has signed with the Tigers and is part of the 2013 signing class. He's from Hutchinson Community College in Kansas, and has three years of eligibility remaining.

He's the top junior college offensive lineman in the country, according to 247 Sports. He's expected to enroll in January and be available for spring practice.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2012/12/auburn_signs_top_junior_colleg.html

jbcarol

Alabama has picked up its 21st commitment for the 2013 class from a familiar name. Hargrave Military Academy offensive tackle Brandon Hill has committed to Alabama, according to reports from multiple recruiting sites, after previously committing to Ole Miss in November.

Hill originally signed with Alabama out of high school but has spent the last year at Hargrave, a prep school noted for its football program, after failing to academically qualify at UA.

Hill's mother Erica Lee told BamaOnline that the 6-foot-6, 330-pound offensive tackle plans to enroll at Alabama in January.

Hill is rated the nation's No. 1 prep school offensive tackle by 247Sports

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2012/12/offensive_tackle_brandon_hill.html

jbcarol

Auburn in play for several recruits committed elsewhere

Montravius Adams
Defensive Tackle
Dooly County (Vienna, GA)

De'Runnya Wilson
Wide Reciever
Wenonah

Zach Cunningham
Outside Linebacker
Pinson Valley

Carl Lawson
Defensive End
Milton (Alpharetta, GA)

Dee Liner
Defensive Tackle
Muscle Shoals

MacKensie Alexander
Cornerback
Immokalee (Immokalee, FL)

Kyrin Priester
Wide Receiver
Brookwood (Snellville, GA)

Khari Harding
Safety
Santa Fe (Edmond, OK)

A three-star defensive back currently committed to Arkansas, Harding picked up an offer from Auburn recently. Harding was recruited by Malzahn at Arkansas State.

Jordan Wilkins
Running Back
St. Benedict (Cordova, TN)

A four-star running back ranked among the top ten all-purpose backs in the nation, Wilkins expressed concern over the coaching change at Auburn.
He has an official visit to Arkansas scheduled in January.
Top Competition: Arkansas

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2012/12/auburn_in_play_for_several_rec.html

jbcarol

Former Mississippi State defensive back coach Melvin Smith's departure for Auburn may have led West Bolivar High School running back Kailo Moore to de-decommit from MSU.

West Bolivar coach Henry Johnson hasn't confirmed the news with his talented star, but if accurate, he believes Smith's departure played a big role.

Johnson said he couldn't know for sure without checking in with Moore, but that from past conversations, Ole Miss would be the favorite to land him if he wasn't headed to MSU.

http://blogs.clarionledger.com/recruiting/2012/12/26/melvin-smiths-departure-may-have-played-role-in-kailo-moore-decommit/

jbcarol

Class of '14 watch list from State of Georgia's Rising Seniors practice:

MVP, OFFENSE

Deshaun Watson, QB, Gainesville (committed to Clemson, but also reviewing offers from Ohio State, FSU, Auburn and Tennessee, among others). The 6-foot-4, 200-pounder looked like the best overall player at the all-star game. He's got prototypical size, outstanding composure, he's a running threat, and he can throw with accuracy and velocity on the run. Watson was just about perfect on the short and intermediate throws on a cold and windy day. "He's as gifted as anybody I've ever seen," said Blessed Trinity coach Tim McFarlin, the Eastside offensive coordinator.
Runner-up: None.

http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/

jbcarol

Corey Dowlar/ESPN @cdowlar
ESPN 150 DE Tim Williams will take officials to Alabama, Miami and FSU, respectively. Will make decision immediately after, not on NSD.

jbcarol

Malzahn makes scholarship offer to RB Peyton Barber, Carl Lawson's teammate and Ole Miss commit

QuoteAuburn made a scholarship offer Sunday to Milton High (Ga.) running back and Ole Miss commitment Peyton Barber.

Barber told the Atlanta Journal Constitution he got a "random call" on Sunday from Auburn's Gus Malzahn.

"I didn't know who it was, at first," Barber told the AJC. "Coach Malzahn said he had nothing to do with the old coaching staff at Auburn. He said if he had been there, I would've definitely had an offer before the season. (Malzahn) felt like I was one of the best running backs he's watched this year. He liked the way I ran, blocked and caught balls. He said I could be an every-down back there."

Barber's Milton teammate is defensive end and Auburn commitment Carl Lawson, who is the nation's No. 2-ranked prospect by ESPN.

Barber indicated he is still committed to Auburn (sic) and even alluded to working on Lawson to become a Rebel.

"I do talk to Carl about coming to Ole Miss. Those talks go pretty well," Barber told 247 Sports. "He says he's definitely interested in Ole Miss and likes Ole Miss. It would be nice to have him there with me.

"If Robert Nkemdiche and Carl Lawson could commit to Ole Miss, I think it could be one of the greatest classes to ever come through Ole Miss."

jbcarol

Auburn QB commit Jeremy Johnson still considering Ole Miss

SAN ANTONIO, Texas -- Four-star quarterback Jeremy Johnson, the 6-foot-5, 215-pound Auburn commit, revealed he is still considering Ole Miss, and will take an official visit to Oxford on Jan. 18 with his parents.

DallasHogFan

But he decommitted from USC today. Just saw he had an interest in A&M and figured it was relevent.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/143843/sebastian-larue
Let me tell you what Melba Toast is packin' right here, all right. We got 4:11 Positrac outback, 750 double pumper, Edelbrock intake, bored over 30, 11 to 1 pop-up pistons, turbo-jet 390 horsepower. We're talkin' some "Hogville Censored" muscle. -Wooderson

jbcarol

Nkemdiche and the all-stars spent part of Thursday laying sod on a youth football field as a community service project.

What makes Nkemdiche an interesting figure in North Mississippi is the possibility of what his future holds. A one-time Clemson commit, he has Ole Miss in the lead as national signing day approaches in February.

Nkemdiche says LSU and Florida are still very much in the mix. His older brother, Denzel, is a star linebacker for Ole Miss.

Today's Under Armour All-America Game is scheduled for 4 p.m. at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg. ESPN will televise the game live. Several recruits will be making their announcements, but not Nkemdiche.

The game features several undecided prospects, including Houston 5-star defensive end Chris Jones, a Mississippi State commi, who added an offer from Ole Miss Tuesday. South Panola's Antonio Conner was originally going to announce tonight but has postponed until Feb. 3.

Crete, Ill., wide receiver Laquon Treadwell is the country's top-rated receiver and has Ole Miss in the mix, along with Oklahoma and Oklahoma State.

Auburn High school linebacker Reuben Foster, the nation's top linebacker, has been committed to Alabama and Auburn and both of those schools hope late-comers Washington, Georgia and Miami don't steal him away.

Auburn has multiple interests here in Muscle Shoals 4-star lineman Dee Liner and top-rated weakside linebacker Carl Lawson. Auburn hopes to hang on to both after the coaching change.

http://djournal.com/view/full_story/21312194/article-Top-recruit-Nkemdiche-mum-on-future-

jbcarol

Auburn's 2013 recruiting class picked up its 14th commitment on Friday when Highlands (Kansas) Community College safety Brandon King pledged to sign with the Tigers in February.

King is a 6-foot-2, 215-pound Alabaster native.

QuoteKing was previously committed to South Alabama.

In addition to Auburn, King held scholarship offers from over a dozen schools including Ole Miss, Arizona State and Texas Tech. He is rated a two-star prospect by 247Sports and is rated one of the top 250 junior college prospects in the nation.

jbcarol

6′ 2″ 220 East Feliciana Parish QB/DE/LB Kendall Beckwith chose LSU over Bama at the Under Armour High School All-Star game.

jbcarol

6'1" 220 Central Gwinnett LB and former Auburn verbal Trey Johnson commits to Ohio State at the UA All-Star Game.

jbcarol

Five-star safety Tony Conner moves decision, will visit Alabama and Auburn (video)

QuoteAfter initially planning to announce his college decision during Friday's Under Armour All-America Game, Tony Conner has decided to delay his decision until February 3. In the meantime, Conner will take official visits to both Alabama and Auburn.

jbcarol

Auburn commit Jeremy Johnson's 34-yard TD pass lifts East over West in Army All-American Bowl (video)

QuoteWith his team trailing 8-7, the Auburn commit faced a fourth-and-16 with just 3:59 to play in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl.

With the game on the line, he lofted a pass over several defenders into the hands of James Quick for a 34-yard score which proved to be the game-winner as the East team defeated the West, 15-8.

The Carver-Montgomery senior went 4-for-6 for 64 yards and a touchdown for the East in front of more than 40,000 fans at the San Antonio Alamodome.

"I feel great," Johnson said after the game. "Throwing a game-winning touchdown? I know everyone in Montgomery is happy. I know they're all watching, so I feel good. This whole week was great."

Alabama commit Derrick Henry gained 53 yards and a touchdown on 10 carries, while Auburn target Derrick Green carried eight times for 49 yards.

"There's a high level of competition out here," Henry said. "I wanted to come out here and show that I could be effective. I work really hard when the camera's not on me."

Quick, who committed to Louisville during the game, was named the (co-)Most Valuable Player of the game after catching three balls for 71 yards and the score.

jbcarol

Vonn Bell, the 5-star safety from Ridgeland, Ga. nearly committed after the completion of his senior season. One of the main reasons he waited was to give a fair shake to his childhood favorite, Tennessee.

His other two finalists are Ohio State and rumored frontrunner Alabama.

"I waited because I wanted to go visit the campuses again, and give Tennessee a chance because they lost their coach at the end of the year," Bell said. "I want to give everybody an equal and fair shot."

How does Bell feel about the Volunteers? "They're in a slump right now but I think Butch Davis ... I mean, Butch Jones, is the guy that will bring them out of that slump."

"Alabama ... it just speaks for itself," Bell said. They are in the national championship again. Coach Nick Saban, he's a DB coach, and he's going to be coaching me. So Coach Saban has got guys into the NFL, so his name speaks for himself."

http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2013/01/07/vonn-bell-on-nick-saban-hes-a-db-coach-and-hes-going-to-be-coaching-me/

jbcarol

Orlando Evans WR Tony Stevens picks Texas A&M over FSU, Ohio State

When asked if quarterback Johnny Manziel was the reason why he was headed to A&M, Stevens said, "Not really, I just liked it when I went on my visit there. Stevens committed during the live national NBC broadcast of the Army Bowl.

Stevens is the No. 5-ranked player in the Sentinel's 2013 Central Florida Super60.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/blogs/recruiting/os-orlando-evans-wr-tony-stevens-picks-texas-am-over-fsu-ohio-state-20130105,0,1484387.post

Jesuit LB Jordan Mastrogiovanni flips commitment from Oklahoma to Texas A&M

Mastrogiovanni, a three-star prospect according to Rivals.com, was the Sooners' only inside linebacker commit in the 2013 class, and Aber reports that the Sooners' other two LB commits -- OLBs Jordan Evans and Dominique Alexander -- could end up playing other positions in college.

Meanwhile, the Aggies add a seventh linebacker to an already massive class that includes 35 current commits. Rivals ranks A&M's 2013 class as the 8th-best in the nation.

According to the Oklahoman, Mastrogiovanni had considering flipping to A&M earlier in the summer after taking an official visit to College Station, but ultimately decided to stick with OU at the time. It's unknown why he chose to switch now, although Oklahoma is fresh off a 41-13 thrashing at the hands of A&M in the Cotton Bowl.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/texas-aggies/20130106-report-jesuit-lb-jordan-mastrogiovanni-flips-commitment-from-oklahoma-to-texas-am.ece

jbcarol

Keith Niebuhr ‏@Niebuhr247
Huge fan of new #MissState RB commit Ashton Shumpert. Big body. Can get the tough yards or break a long one. Every down back IMO

jbcarol

Ashton Shumpert made his college choice on Monday without any fanfare.

Itawamba AHS' 4-star athlete committed to Mississippi State.

"I knew when he decided, it would be without a lot of fanfare," Itawamba AHS coach Toby Collums said. "That's kind of how it happened. He just quietly goes about his business. He's handled the process very well. We're proud of him."

He narrowed his 10-offer sheet down to Mississippi State and Ole Miss on Dec. 20, with Vanderbilt and Georgia close by.

Shumpert was named Gatorade Mississippi Player of the Year, Division 1-4A Player of the Year and Mississippi Association of Coaches First Team All-State.

http://djournal.com/view/full_story/21339763/article-Shumpert-%E2%80%98quietly%E2%80%99-commits-to-MSU

jbcarol

Alvin Kamara ‏@A_kamara6
"@Socrates56: Alvin Kamara has committed to Alabama, my sources tell me." What source did you get this from!?? Ahahah

Alvin Kamara ‏@A_kamara6
I DID NOT COMMIT TO THE UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA... Dammmm

Bam™ ‏@BigBam3
Yet... RT @A_kamara6: I DID NOT COMMIT TO THE UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA... Dammmm

jbcarol

Nikia Cathey a '14, 5-9, 175 ATH from Memphis Westwood has given a verbal to Miss. State.

jbcarol

RT @taylorhamm247: OL Dwayne Johnson just informed me he's decommitted from Purdue. Now considering Arkansas, Nebraska, Virginia Wazzou

jbcarol

A&M announced the signing of nine football early enrollees. All will be eligible for spring drills.

Among the juco enrollees is TE Cam Clear who ran afoul of the law at Tennessee.

Former Auburn WR signee JaQuay Williams spent fall semester at Fork Union Military Academy.

jbcarol

Pebblebrook defensive back Demetrius Monday de-committed from Cincinnati on Thursday after never hearing from new coach Tommy Tuberville.

"I think it's messed up," his father, Bryant Monday, told the AJC. "You wait until a few weeks before signing day to say something? They could have told us a month ago.

"Now we're left with less than a month until signing day to figure something out. He had other scholarship offers but he hasn't talked to those coaches in six months ... since he committed to Cincinnati on July 25.

"It's really disappointing."

QuoteThe 5-foot-10, 180-pound Monday said he committed to Cincinnati over Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Ball State, Ohio and Georgia State, among other...

After not hearing from the new staff, the elder Monday finally called up the football offices this week.

"They told us to 'look other places,'" Monday said. "I'm in Los Angeles on vacation, and I just got the bad news.

"The thing is, we've talked to some other kids committed to Cincinnati. They say the same thing..."

jbcarol

Something I missed: Former #Arkansas QB commit Tyler Cogswell will visit #WKU ... I'm told Bobby P. likes him a lot

jbcarol

White Station wide receiver Donald Gray became the second Memphis-area player to commit to Mississippi State in as many days.

Gray, a 5-foot-10, 180-pound athlete, chose the Bulldogs over scholarship offers from Arkansas, Nebraska, Ole Miss and Tennessee, among others.

He chose MSU because he liked "the staff, the chance to play early, the style of offense, and the receivers coach (Tim Brewster)," according to White Station coach Devin Rutherford.

Gray could also help MSU's chances with teammate Jason Carr, a consensus four-star defensive end. Carr, who is verbally committed to Tennessee, is visiting Tennessee this weekend, Alabama next weekend, and then will choose between LSU, MSU, and Ole Miss.

http://blogs.clarionledger.com/recruiting/2013/01/11/donald-gray-commits-to-mississippi-state/

jbcarol

Ole Miss has a fourth Dandy Dozen player in its recruiting class, with the possibility of a fifth soon joining the group.

West Bolivar running back Kailo Moore, a consensus four-star recruit, verbally committed to Ole Miss

http://blogs.clarionledger.com/um/2013/01/11/kailo-moore-picks-ole-miss/

jbcarol

Auburn commit Cam Toney says he's recruiting for Tigers heading to Signing Day

QuoteToney visited Auburn over the weekend, and says he'll return for another recruiting weekend to try to help swing other players. Two of his overall targets are linebacker Reuben Foster and defensive tackle Dee Liner, who committed to the previous coaching staff. Foster spent the weekend at Washington and Liner was at Alabama.

"We've got to get Reuben back, for sure; and Dee Liner, we've got to get his head back on the right track," Toney said.

Toney said he spent the weekend talking to the new coaching staff. He was one of eight visitors.

"They're totally different from the old coaching staff," he said. "I actually like this group better.  They're nicer – I'm not saying the old coaching staff wasn't nice – but I think they're more family type. They have a reason to be here."

"He's a great guy. I love him to death. I treat him like a granddad. I would say dad, but he's a lot older than that," Toney said with a smile regarding Ellis Johnson.

Cam Toney is a 5.7-rated Inside Linebacker.

DB Cam Sutton still committed to Tennessee, but says he's considering Auburn after visit

QuoteCornerback Cam Sutton says his weekend visit to Auburn went well enough that he's "definitely opened myself back up" to recruiting wars, though he remains committed to Tennessee.

"They've got all the same mindset, to win a championship, and that's what I like," Sutton said Sunday.

"They have a very high chance, a very good chance," Sutton said.

Sutton says he has also scholarship offers from Arkansas, Clemson, Florida, Georgia Tech, South Carolina, Missouri, Ole Miss, Pittsburgh and Virginia Tech

Cam Sutton is a 5.6-rated CB.

Also Cam Echols-Luper decommitted from A&M and reopened his recruitment.

Echols-Luper is a 5.7-rated ATH from Auburn High. TCU may be a leader.

jbcarol

Brandon King, JUCO safety will play 'Star' position for Auburn

QuoteBrandon King, a junior college safety from Highlands (Kan.) Community College, has cancelled all of his other official visits and plans to sign his national letter of intent on signing day.

King, a 6-foot-2, 213-pounder, is being targeted by Auburn to play the hybrid linebacker/safety required of Johnson's 4-2-5 defense, the base defense he used at South Carolina.

In Auburn's defense, Johnson plans to call the spot the "Star." At South Carolina, Johnson called the spot the Spur.

"I'm pretty comfortable with the position, I played it in junior college," King said. "What they have me playing, they want me to be able to cover and blitz off the edge, which is pretty much what I utilized at (Highlands)."

King, who was named a First Team All-Conference pick after his sophomore season at Highlands, will also be asked to learn all three safety positions in Auburn's base defense.

After talking to Charlie Harbison and Ellis Johnson, King has a clear idea of how the Tigers want to use him, and his responsibilities may include more than the Star.

"I'll be outside, rocking down in the box, playing deep thirds," King said. "Pretty much exchanging positions, being able to play three positions."

jbcarol

The unbelievable ride Chris Jones has experienced over the last six months, from anonymity to superstardom, isn't supposed to happen anymore.

With the proliferation of recruiting services and reporters dedicated to discovering top football prospects, high-level players don't slip under the radar anymore.

But that's exactly what happened to the 6-foot-6, 250-pound defensive end. When he committed to Mississippi State in June he was rated a two-star player and completely unknown to everyone on the national scene.

Now he is the No. 1 prospect on The Clarion-Ledger's list of Mississippi's 10 Most Wanted recruits. He's an Under Armour All-American, a five-star prospect who will be ranked the No. 5 player in the country in the next 247Sports rankings, according to national analyst Gerry Hamilton.

QuoteThe list of schools trying to get involved now with the new and improved Jones is endless, though Alabama, Florida and Ole Miss stick out for him. The new schools are all aggressive in their pitches to convince Jones to reconsider his commitment to MSU.

One Alabama assistant told Jones he was engaged, not married to the Bulldogs. A Florida assistant informed him of past Gators defensive lineman who made it to the NFL, and that he could do the same if he came and followed the process. Ole Miss has gone with a more "faith-based" approach and is "more humble" than the rest.

Jones has tried to stay as even-keeled as possible, and just takes it all in. He has consulted with his family and his mom encouraged him to take a visit to Alabama.

He says he'll consider visiting Alabama, but is adamant in his commitment to MSU.

jbcarol

Auburn's Cam Echols-Luper commits to TCU after decommitting from A&M

QuoteAuburn High quarterback Cameron Echols-Luper announced Sunday he has committed to TCU, five days after decommitting from A&M.

"I really got along with everybody, and I had a great trip," Echols-Luper told the newspaper. "I just really felt at home when I was down there."

The 6-foot, 195-pounder has been recruited as a wide receiver in college, and said he decommitted from the Aggies on Tuesday because he felt the school had recruited too many receivers.

Julie Bennett

jbcarol

I've seen some folks scoffing at the verbal commitment of four-star running back Kailo Moore to Ole Miss.

It's Moore's third verbal commitment, his second to the Rebels sandwiched on each side of a commitment to rival Mississippi State.

Of course, people want to take off on the word "commitment," which is fair. It's taken on a definition of its own in recruiting. But it's not like Moore is the first redefine the word...

Moore is the fourth running back in the Ole Miss class, and the Rebels return three of their top four running backs, two of them freshmen.

That's a lot of competition at the position. If all the commits sign it wouldn't be a total surprise to see someone in the group of seven play somewhere else.

http://insideolemisssports.com/2013/01/14/recruits-need-to-get-it-right-first-time/

jbcarol

Nick Marshall tweeted that he has committed to Auburn. The 6-foot-2, 205-pound athlete spent last seasonat Garden City Community College in Kansas after being dismissed from Georgia in early 2012 following an incident that reportedly involved stealing money from fellow players.

Auburn has not yet accepted Marshall's commitment pending a review of his grades. Reports that Auburn is recruiting Marshall as an athlete with the potential of starting out at cornerback.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2013/01/auburn_picks_up_commitment_fro.html

jbcarol

The Crimson Tide picked up a verbal commitment from ESPN 150 defensive end Tim Williams of Baton Rouge, La., Monday, less than 24 hours after he took an official visit to Alabama's campus. Williams is ranked the No. 36 overall prospect in the 2013 class and is rated the No. 1 player in the state of Louisiana.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/59404/big-recruiting-news-for-alabama-and-auburn

jbcarol

LSU's early enrollees include athlete John Diarse (6-foot, 210 pounds) from Monroe Neville; offensive tackle Fehoko Fanaika (6-6, 340), a junior-college transfer from the College of San Mateo in California; quarterback Anthony Jennings (6-2, 205) from Marietta, Ga.; defensive end Christian LaCouture (6-5, 267) from Lincoln (Neb.) Southwest; offensive tackle Ethan Pocic (6-6, 285) from Lemont, Ill., and tight end Logan Stokes (6-4, 240) from Northeast Mississippi Community College.

Stokes has already signed his national letter of intent with LSU, the only member of the 2013 class to do so.

All of LSU's early enrollees are eligible to participate in spring practice, which is expected to begin in March.

LSU is still waiting on two other early enrollees: quarterback Hayden Rettig (6-4, 222) of Los Angeles Cathedral and wide receiver Avery Johnson (6-2, 180) of Hargrave Military Academy in Virginia and Pompano Beach, Fla.

Rettig's issue is believed to be a minor paperwork matter. Johnson, younger brother of former LSU All-American cornerback Patrick Peterson, is waiting for the NCAA Clearinghouse to approve his test score.

Johnson's father, Patrick Peterson Sr., said Monday he remains confident his son will be able to enroll at LSU for the spring semester.

"For sure," Peterson said in a text message.

LSU has a total of 26 commitments/signees for its Class of 2013.

Aside from Stokes, the rest of LSU's class may sign their national letters of intent beginning Feb. 6.

Meanwhile, LSU has picked up its first five-star prospect for 2013 without adding another commitment.

Tre'Davious White (5-11, 170), a cornerback/athlete prospect from Shreveport Green Oaks, earned a fifth star from 24/7 Sports after his impressive performance Jan. 5 in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl in San Antonio.

The game was a showcase for White's coverage and kick return skills, allowing him to rocket from No. 83 to No. 9 on the 24/7 Sports Top 247 list of the nation's best prospects.

The new ranking makes White 24/7's No. 1 prospect in Louisiana, a distinction he also earned from Rivals and Scout.

LSU's recruiting class is ranked No. 5 by Scout, No. 6 by Rivals, No. 7 by 24/7 Sports and No. 8 by ESPN.

http://theadvocate.com/sports/lsu/4917440-123/lsu-football-welcomes-six-early