Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Look back/ahead to the Top 100 College Basketball recruits in the SEC

Started by jbcarol, June 05, 2012, 04:17:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Julius Randle gave a committment to Kentucky over Kansas, et al.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on March 20, 2013, 01:06:29 pm
Julius Randle gave a committment to Kentucky over Kansas, et al.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

"Our class isn't going to be judged until you see how we play in college," Randle told reporters following his announcement. "And our goal is to win it, go undefeated, whatever we want to do. Once we do that, then you can judge our class. But right now, we're just great recruits."

Randle's correct. His class hasn't accomplished anything in college, which will lead to debates over whether this is an Anthony Davis-type class or just another 2012 class full of disappointment.

http://www.mrsec.com/2013/03/sec-recruiting-notebook-kentucky-will-get-the-last-laugh/

Also, is Cal setting up Kentucky for another disappointing 2014-15 season?

jbcarol

Recruiting Ratings for 2013 AP and Coaches All-SEC First Team Guards

Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Georgia – 2011 #3 SG, 6-5, 205, So., Greenville, Ga.
Trevor Releford, Alabama –              2010 #10 PG, 6-1, 195, Jr., Kansas City
Jordan McRae, Tennessee –              2010 #9 SG, 6-5, 178, Jr., Midway, Ga.

jbcarol

Recruiting Rankings for 2013 AP and Coaches First Team All-SEC Bigs

Erik Murphy, Florida – 2009 #12 PF, 6-10, 238, Sr., South Kingstown, R.I.
Nerlens Noel, Kentucky – 2012 #1 overall, 6-10, 228, Fr., Everett, Mass.

jbcarol

Today was Andrew Wiggins Day in Huntington.  He is the top prospect in the Class of '13.

jbcarol

Auburn basketball lands commitment from 3-star power forward Matthew Atewe

QuoteMatthew Atewe, a 6-foot-9, 230-pound power forward from Notre Dame Prep in Fitchburg, Mass., committed to Auburn Saturday.

Atewe fills a big hole for the Tigers, who played without a true power forward in the lineup after junior college transfer Sharief Adamu was dismissed from the team just seven games into the season.

Freshman Jordon Granger also played the power forward spot, but he's a developmental player who couldn't give the Tigers many minutes, leaving Allen Payne and Noel Johnson to play out-of-position at the power forward spot.

But Auburn head coach Tony Barbee has targeted the position aggressively in the 2013 recruiting cycle, adding signee Benas Griciunas, a power forward who can stretch teams' defenses with his shooting ability, and now Atewe, a more traditional power presence inside, to compete with Granger.

Atewe is the fifth signee for the Tigers for the upcoming recruiting class, joining Griciunas, point guard Tajh Shamsid-Deen, center Ronald Delph and shooting guard Dion Wade.

jbcarol

Aaron Gordon chose Arizona over Oregon, Kentucky and Washington.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Future SEC players Kasey Hill (UF) and Dakari Johnson (UK) led Monteverde to a come from behind win over St. Benedict's in the high school National Invitational championship.

jbcarol

Madison Central point guard Dominique Hawkins – Kentucky's Mr. Basketball winner – announced Wednesday morning that he has committed to play for the University of Kentucky, providing depth and home-state flavor to a recruiting class that's already ranked far away as the nation's best.

Hawkins, a 6-foot-1, is a lifelong UK fan who has said multiple times that it was his dream to play for the Wildcats, but it was only during Wednesday's assembly in the MCHS gym that he revealed he has a definitive scholarship offer from coach John Calipari that he could accept.

He  turned down offers from Western Kentucky – which has recruited him consistently for months – South Carolina, Purdue, Tennesssee Tech and Morehead State. Hawkins has said for the past several weeks that he would wait to see whether UK had an offer for him before he considered committing to another school.

Hawkins will play his college home games at Rupp Arena, where he led Madison Central to the state title in last month's Boys' Sweet 16. Calipari watched Hawkins in three consecutive state tournament games. His memorable week of clutch play earned him Most Valuable Player honors and piqued Calipari's interest more and more as a highly competitive player who could thrive on a big stage.

Hawkins becomes the eighth member of UK's class, and he and Bullitt East forward Derek Willis are the only players in it who are not six McDonald's All Americans.

http://blogs.courier-journal.com/recruiting/2013/04/10/dominique-hawkins-commits-to-kentucky/

jbcarol

Donovan addressed eligibility concerns about incoming McDonald's All-American Chris Walker, saying, "I think in looking at our incoming freshmen, certainly they are in the right courses, taking the right classes and doing all of that stuff, but I think that stuff will end up playing itself out whenever he graduates."

http://johnclay.bloginky.com/2013/04/11/billy-donovan-wants-gators-to-be-nastier

jbcarol

Rivals 150

1. Andrew Wiggins SF TBD
2. Julius Randle PF UK
5. Andrew Harrison G UK
6. Chris Walker C UF
7. Aaron Harrison G UK
9. Dakari Johnson C UK
10. Kasey Hill G UF
11. James Young SF UK
13. Jarell Martin F LSU
15. Bobby Portis PF Hogs
19. Marcus Lee PF UK
23. Robert Hubbs G UT
41. Jordan Mickey F LSU
42. Johnathan Williams III F MU
43. Sindarius Thornwell G SC
63. Moses Kingsley C Hogs
69. Jimmie Taylor F Bama
71. Tim Quarterman G LSU
72. Wesley Clark G MU
77. Damian Jones C VU
98. Shannon Hale F Bama
115. Derek Willis F UK
123. Torren Jones F MU
142. Juwan Parker G UGa
149. Jarius Thompson G UT

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/rankings/rank-2752

jbcarol

Evan Daniels ‏@EvanDanielsFOX 27m
Algie Key, a two time Junior College All-American, just verbally pledged to Alabama, per a source.

Decatur, Ga. SG graduated HS in 2011.

jbcarol

Small forward Chris Griffin signed a letter of intent to play at Auburn next season.

The 6-foot-7, 235-pound Griffin played at Wabash Valley College in Illinois and had been committed to Rutgers but decommitted following the recent scandal that led to the firing of coach Mike Rice.

With eight players currently on scholarship, Auburn would be one player over the 13-scholarship limit next fall if the roster remains intact and power forward Matthew Atewe and small forward Dion Wade sign with the Tigers.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/04/chris_griffin_signs_letter_of.html

jbcarol

6-foot-10, 250-pound Indian Hills CC center Rawane Ndiaye commits to Tennessee basketball; Vols now two scholarships over limit.

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2013/apr/16/rawane-ndiaye-commits-to-tennessee-basketball/

jbcarol

Kenny Paul Geno, a 6-foot-6, 200-pound forward from Booneville, Miss., committed to UGA on Wednesday.

"Georgia had been recruiting me for a while," Geno told the AJC. "They had two scholarships open, and had been telling me that if Kentavious was to go to the NBA, that would probably be my scholarship. That is what happened. As soon as he declared, they called me."

UGA extended an offer on Tuesday night, and Geno took less than 24 hours to pick the Bulldogs over Middle Tennessee State, Arkansas State and Jacksonville State, among others. He also had serious interest from South Alabama, Troy and Mississippi State.

http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/college-recruiting/2013/apr/17/commit-uga-closes-deal-hurry-recruit/

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on April 17, 2013, 03:11:47 pm
Small forward Chris Griffin signed a letter of intent to play at Auburn next season.

The 6-foot-7, 235-pound Griffin played at Wabash Valley College in Illinois and had been committed to Rutgers but decommitted following the recent scandal that led to the firing of coach Mike Rice.

With eight players currently on scholarship, Auburn would be one player over the 13-scholarship limit next fall if the roster remains intact and power forward Matthew Atewe and small forward Dion Wade sign with the Tigers.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/04/chris_griffin_signs_letter_of.html

Auburn has received a national letter of intent from power forward Matthew Atewe, the sixth member of the Tigers' incoming basketball class.

Atewe, a 6-foot-9 power forward from Notre Dame Prep in Fitchburg, Mass., is a rebounding, shot-blocking presence underneath who continues to add size to the Tigers' incoming class. Auburn has already signed 7-foot center Ronald Delph, 6-11 forward Benas Griciunas, 6-7 forwards Chris Griffin and Dion Wade, plus point guard Tahj Shamsid-Deen, to a six-member recruiting class.

jbcarol

Update on 2013 number one prospect Andrew Wiggins:

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanCBS 11m
Been told Andrew Wiggins has canceled his home visits with Kansas, UNC and Florida State early this week

jbcarol

Cameron Forte, a 6-foot-7 forward, announced on Twitter that he has pledged to the Bulldogs.

He's from Howard junior college in Texas, and averaged 22.5 points and 8 rebounds this past season. He originally signed with Texas Tech out of high school, and will have three years of eligibility at UGA.

UGA will finish with four signees in this year's class.

http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/college-recruiting/2013/apr/21/uga-picks-basketball-commit/

jbcarol

Former Kentucky C Nerlens Noel on his ACL recovery, the NBA draft and more

Quote"The knee is doing good. I have been working hard in rehab. My physical therapist has been telling me I am ahead of schedule and I'm coming along really well."

On interacting with orthopedic surgeon Dr. James Andrews ... "He (told) me when I had the surgery that it went very well. He's told me to make sure I take things slow and stay focused on physical therapy. That's the key thing."

On his decision to declare for the NBA Draft ...

"There was a consideration about coming back, but anybody that gets injured is probably going to have the consideration and think about it. I sat there with my family and saw the extent of my injury. I thought it wasn't going to affect me in the draft too much. I've definitely been tackling the rehab. My decision with my family was probably the best decision for me."

jbcarol

A former Rutgers recruit, Shane Rector (Bronx, N.Y./South Kent, Conn.) gave a verbal to Mizzou...

jbcarol

Too early look at some of those Top 100 recruits from '14 class that have verbally committed to SEC schools:

8  C    Karl Towns         St. Joseph, Metchuen, NJ   Kentucky

66 PG  Anton Beard       North Little Rock               Arkansas

98 PG  Marcus Stroman  WJ Keenan, Columbia, SC   South Carolina

jbcarol

jbcarol

Decourcy: Andrew Wiggins' decision worth the wait

If you've followed college basketball recruiting long enough, you remember the days of waiting for Xavier Henry or Patrick Patterson or Charlie Villanueva. Compared to Andrew Wiggins, though, waiting for those guys was like waiting for Godot.

OK, it's true that each of those players was a big-deal recruit at the time. And, in fact, each became a capable college player. Patterson was one of the top scorers on John Calipari's first Kentucky team, which won 35 games and dual Southeastern Conference championships. Villanueva won a championship ring with Connecticut as a freshman reserve in 2004 and helped the Huskies to a Big East co-championship the following season. Henry's only college team became the NCAA Tournament's No. 1 overall seed. All three of them became top-20 NBA draft picks.

With Wiggins, however, we are talking about someone truly extraordinary.

On the day Wiggins steps on an NBA court, and that'll happen sooner rather than later, he'll become one of the greatest athletes ever to play in the league...

Looking at the CBS Sports' Too Early but in their eyes, not Way Too Early '13-14 All-American Teams, Wiggins is on the First Team.  SEC has no representative on their First Team unless Wiggins chooses Kentucky or a big surprise.

We -- we being CBSSports.com's Gary Parrish and Jeff Goodman -- assumed, on the night of the national title game in Atlanta, that Oklahoma State's Marcus Smart and Creighton's Doug McDermott would enter the NBA Draft. We also figured Louisville's Russ Smith would follow, mostly because his father said he would. But now look. All three returned to school. And all three are sure-bet preseason First-Team All-Americans.

That's our opinion, at least.

QuoteWe sat down after Sunday's deadline for underclassmen to declare for the NBA Draft and determined that Smart, Smith and McDermott should be locks for all preseason All-American teams, and that Andrew Wiggins must join them even though it's still unknown whether the incoming freshman will play at Florida State, Kentucky or somewhere else. He's just too good not to include, evidence being that Wiggins is projected as the consensus top pick of the 2014 NBA Draft.

The other big?

That's Michigan's Mitch McGary, we decided.

Possible Second-Team All-Americans
F: Julius Randle (Kentucky)
F: Willie Cauley-Stein (Kentucky)

Possible Third-Team All-Americans
G: Andrew Harrison (Kentucky)

Twenty other players worth monitoring
Marshall Henderson (Ole Miss); Jordan McRae (Tennessee); ...

jbcarol

6-4 Brother Martin SG Jordan Cornish is Tennessee's first '14 verbal.

He is currently 128 on 247's list.

jbcarol

Amid constant speculation about whether Andrew Wiggins will choose Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina or Florida State, what if he shocked the world and picked Louisville?

Well, calm down, because the nation's top basketball recruit is almost certainly not going to pick Louisville. But if the woman who has put a roof over his head for the past two years had any say, she would point Wiggins toward the Cardinals.

"If it was my choice, I'd say he should go to Louisville," said Lesley Thomas, who has been Wiggins' host mom in West Virginia since he enrolled at Huntington Prep. "Yes, I would have, because I love Coach Pitino's program."

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20130507/COLUMNISTS02/305070106/1029/sports/If-mom-had-her-say-Andrew-Wiggins-would-play-basketball-Louisville

Maybe more than Sypher.

jbcarol

Maryland hoops star Jerron Martin uses Vine to announce commitment to Ole Miss

Martin used Vine to announce (can see via link) his college decision earlier today.

The 6-foot-1, 165-pound guard chose Ole Miss over Loyola (Md) his only other offer. This past season, he played in the same back court with flashy point guard Aquille Carr, who originally committed to Seton Hall, but will take his talents overseas, where he'll play professionally...

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/05/maryland_product_jerron_martin.html

"I guess if y'all ain't know. Yeah, it's kind of official. I'm a Ole Miss Rebel. Hotty Toddy."

His use of social media has exceeded his resume' so far.

jbcarol

There are various reports that Andrew Wiggins could actually shock the world and pick a college on Tuesday finally ending the greatest saga in college basketball recruiting since, well, the last great sage (sic) in college baksetball recruiting.

In fact, were I Wiggins, no way I sign a national letter-of-intent. What's the point of doing that? Any school in the country would make room for his talents. And what if he signs with a school whose coach then departs for some reason, or something (sic) other factor changes.

http://johnclay.bloginky.com/2013/05/12/andrew-wiggins-may-or-may-not-decide-tuesday

There could be a motorcycle accident, an NCAA investigation, a ...

jbcarol

Wiggins' coach Fulford confirmed that Wiggins will make his decision tomorrow at 12:15 PM EDT in a private ceremony with only one local sports reporter present, Grant "Tractor" Traylor of the Herald-Dispatch.

Traylor has covered the high school basketball beat in Huntington for several years.  He doesn't think the head coach knows what the player will do. 25% chance for each of Florida State, Kansas, Kentucky and North Carolina.

Plans to tweet the choice and maybe a couple of pictures from the simple ceremony.

jbcarol

The son of former Vandy all-conference big man Frank Kornet has signed with Vandy in the '13 class.

Luke Kornet, who played in the Texas private school system, is reported to have had offers from KState, TCU, and Purdue.

jbcarol

The nation's number one recruit, Huntington Prep SF Andrew Wiggins chose Kansas over his parents' alma mater Florida State, UK and UNC.

Noted that coach Leonard Hamilton came in second on two of biggest announcements at the time: Ralph Sampson to Virginia in 1979 when Hamilton was top assistant and recruiter for UK and today as head coach of Florida State.

jbcarol

SEC Team Recruiting

Kentucky  Scout's #1 C, PF, PG, SG; #3 C; #4 SF; #30 PF; NR SG (in-state Mr. Basketball)

LSU: #5 PF; #12 PF; #18 SF; JC C and PF; NR C and PF (3-star)

Florida:  #2 PG; #4 PF

Arkansas : #6 PF (5-star); #5 C (4-star)

Mizzou: #9 PF; #16 PG; NR PG (3-star); NR PF (3-star)

Vols:  #2 SG; NR SG (3-star), NR SF (3-star)

Bama:  #10 C: #22 PF; JC SG

A&M:  NR C (3-star); JC SG; NR PF; NR SF

jbcarol

Top 30 2013 Centers committed/signed by SEC schools

1. Dakari Johnson  UK

3. Marcus Lee       UK

5. Moses Kingsley  Hogs

10. Jimmie Taylor   Bama

26. Dwight Coleby  OM

jbcarol

Top 30 2013 Power Forwards committed/signed by SEC schools

1. Julius Randle         UK

4. Chris Walker          UF

6. Bobby Portis        Hogs

9. J. Williams            MU

12. Jordan Mickey     LSU

19. Demetrius Henry  SC

22. Shannon Hale    Bama

26. Damian Jones      VU

30. Derek Willis        UK

jbcarol

Top 30 2013 Small Forwards committed/signed by SEC schools

4. James Young        UK

18. Tim Quarterman  LSU

29. Juwan Parker      UGa

jbcarol

Top 30 2013 Shooting Guards committed/signed by SEC schools

1. Aaron Harrison        UK

2. Robert Hubbs          UT

5. Sindarius Thornwell  SC

jbcarol

Top 30 Point (Lead) Guards committed/signed by SEC schools

1. Andrew Harrison  UK

2. Kasey Hill           UF

16. Wes Clark         MU

jbcarol

ABC-11 reports that UNC's PJ "Sad" Hairston had gun found near rental SUV stopped at checkpoint with drugs onboard

Hairston was driving a rented 2013 GMC Yukon that was stopped at a license checkpoint Wednesday night. He and both passengers were subsequently charged with marijuana possession, and that seemed to be the end of the story until ABC11 reported Friday morning that police are running forensics on a gun found outside of the SUV, the implication being that somebody in Hairston's vehicle might've tossed the weapon -- a 9mm with nine rounds of ammunition -- while approaching the checkpoint. If so, this development would obviously complicate Hairston's situation.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/22369506/police-found-loaded-gun-outside-of-pj-hairstons-vehicle

jbcarol

Here's an update on some of those Top 100 recruits from '13 class rankings, including Bobby Portis and Kingsley, that have committed to and/or signed with SEC schools:

2  PF   Julius Randle Prestonwood Christian Kentucky
5  PG  Andrew Harrison Richmond, TX        Kentucky
6  SG  Aaron Harrison  Richmond, TX         Kentucky
8  PF  Chris Walker   Holmes County          Florida
9  PG  Kasey Hill      Monteverde Academy  Florida
11 SG James JT Young  Rochester Hills, MI Kentucky
14 PF Jarell Martin    Baton Rouge Madison Prep  LSU
16 PF  Bobby Portis  Hall                         Arkansas
17 C  Dakari Johnson  Montverde Academy Kentucky
20 SG  Robert Hubbs  Dyer Co., TN           Tennessee
24 C   Marcus Lee  Antioch, CA Deer Valley Kentucky
30 SG  Sindarius Thornwell  Oak Hill          South Carolina
34 PF  Johnathan Williams  Memphis Southwind  Mizzou
37 PF  Jordan Mickey  Dallas Prime Prep    LSU
40  C  Moses Kingsley  Huntington Prep     Arkansas

70  C  Jimmie Taylor  Greensboro, AL       Bama
80 SF  Tim Quarterman  Savannah          LSU
86 PG  Wes Clark  Romulus                     Mizzou
91 PF  Demetrius Henry  Faith Baptist       South Carolina
98 PF  Shannon Hale  Arden, NC Christ     Bama

jbcarol

jbcarol

Kentucky Class of '13 Recruiting Guide

Capsules compiled by The Herald-Leader's Ben Roberts | Scout.com analysis provided by Evan Daniels

QuoteJulius Randle

Position: Power forward

Height, weight: 6-9, 245 pounds

Hometown: Plano, Texas

Rivals ranking: 2

Scout ranking: 2

ESPN ranking: 3

24/7 Sports ranking: 2

■ The highest-rated prospect in UK's top-ranked recruiting class, Randle will likely assume a leadership role from the beginning. He missed almost all of his senior season with a broken foot, but came back to lead his school to a state championship and was one of the most dominant players on the post-season all-star circuit. Randle chose Kentucky over Kansas, Florida and Texas.

Scout's take: "Randle is a strong, physical presence in the post, a guy who can really score through contact. I think he's one of the best rebounders in the 2013 class. He's also a guy who's skilled enough to step out and attack guys off the bounce and make mid-range jump shots.

"I think he'll be one of the best players and one of the best long-term prospects in college basketball next year. He's a guy who will have a major impact right away."

Andrew Harrison

Position: Point guard

Height, weight: 6-5, 215 pounds

Hometown: Richmond, Texas

Rivals ranking: 5

Scout ranking: 5

ESPN ranking: 5

24/7 Sports ranking: 3

■ The unanimous pick as the top point guard in the class of 2013, Harrison had long been a top priority for Calipari before he committed to the Cats last fall. A confident, fiery court leader, Harrison missed several games last season with nagging injuries but helped his school win an elusive state title after years of disappointing finishes.

Scout's take: "What sticks out about Andrew is his ability to facilitate and create opportunities for others. He's a tremendous passer. I think when he's surrounded by so many weapons, his game will shine even more. To go with his point guard skills, he's a guy who can really score the ball. Not only at the rim and mid-range, but also well beyond the three-point stripe.

"He's the complete package from the point guard spot, and he's also a physical guard. He's tough, he's hard-nosed and he can defend."

jbcarol

The need to recruit nationally while reserving spots and opportunities for top in-state stars

The Commonwealth of Kentucky used to be fertile ground for top college talent

QuoteTwenty-four hours after being pummeled by 54 points, the Kentucky All-Stars picked themselves up and gave one of the best bounce-back performances in the history of this series with Indiana.

Led by the sensational play of Dominique Hawkins, Kentucky pulled to within three points of Indiana four times in the closing minutes before falling 84-77 in front of 6,209 fans in Bankers Life Fieldhouse.

"We had to come out and show some pride," said Hawkins, who poured in 33 points.

Hawkins, Mr. Basketball, shone the brightest of all the all-stars.

"He was fresher tonight. He didn't have two workouts this morning like he did Friday (at UK)," [Coach Allen] Feldhaus said.

Bosley (14 points) and UK signee Derek Willis (12 points, nine rebounds) provided support.

Indiana has won last the last 11 games against Kentucky, and 18 of the last 19.

Kentucky has four Kentucky high school players, freshmen Hawkins and Willis plus seniors Jarrod Polson and former Mr Basketball Jon Hood. They will start the season occupying spots 10 through 13 among Calipari's scholarship players.

jbcarol

Robert Hubbs, Darius Thompson, A.J. Davis becoming Tennessee's 'Three Amigos'
Incoming UT freshmen make Knoxville debuts in Rocky Top League

QuoteThere's no more need for nametags. Tennessee's basketball freshmen have moved past that stage.

"We're starting our brotherhood,'' Darius Thompson said Monday night as the Rocky Top League got underway in the relative cool of Christian Academy of Knoxville's gym.

Thompson, A.J. Davis and Robert Hubbs made their Knoxville hoops debuts, although in three different games.

Thompson scored 21 points on an array of shots and moves as Rice Buick fell to Campus Lights, 124-99.

Davis scored nine in DeRoyal's 109-105 loss to the News Sentinel.

"They've got us doing everything together,'' said Hubbs, who had 19 points in Next Level's 97-87 loss to Choice Spine, "so we're like the Three Amigos.''

Junior college transfer Pops Ndiaye also played in a mélange that featured current Vols, past Vols, an assortment of area small-college players and the odd hoops celebrity like Josh Selby.

Rocky Top league is a summer league that features past, current, and near-future Vol players and other notable players in the area.

jbcarol

Lawyer for former Auburn basketball player Varez Ward to seek delay in point-shaving case

"We are going to file an unopposed motion to continue the trial date from July 22," attorney Everett Wess said today. He said no new date was set.

QuoteWess said he received information from prosecutors today about their case, including who prosecutors say took part in the alleged conspiracy. Wess had filed a motion last week asking the court to order prosecutors to provide the names of alleged co-conspirators. None were named in the May 30 indictment.

"I'd rather not disclose who the co-conspirators are at this point," Wess said. "I'm not saying how many are out there and not saying who they are."

Wonder if other players will be named?

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on June 08, 2013, 11:10:37 am
ABC-11 reports that UNC's PJ "Sad" Hairston had gun found near rental SUV stopped at checkpoint with drugs onboard

Hairston was driving a rented 2013 GMC Yukon that was stopped at a license checkpoint Wednesday night. He and both passengers were subsequently charged with marijuana possession, and that seemed to be the end of the story until ABC11 reported Friday morning that police are running forensics on a gun found outside of the SUV, the implication being that somebody in Hairston's vehicle might've tossed the weapon -- a 9mm with nine rounds of ammunition -- while approaching the checkpoint. If so, this development would obviously complicate Hairston's situation.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/22369506/police-found-loaded-gun-outside-of-pj-hairstons-vehicle

Arguably the two biggest stories of the college basketball offseason collided on Friday afternoon when The Big Lead broke the news that the NCAA was investigating a potential link between PJ Hairston and Rodney Blackstock.

Hairston, North Carolina's leading scorer a season ago, was arrested earlier this month when he was pulled over in a rented SUV driving on a suspended license with 43 grams of weed in the car. A gun was found outside the car, but it is unclear who that gun belonged to. Blackstock, who is now a certified NBA agent, is the runner at center of the Ben McLemore scandal.

On Friday night, UNC AD Billy "Bubba" Cunningham confirmed to the Raleigh News & Observer that the school is aware of connection and have been in touch with NCAA officials about the case.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

His people were convinced Cleveland was taking him with the No. 1 overall pick.

Instead, five general managers went in different directions. And despite costing Noel about $4.4 million dollars and a measure of pride, it may have been a blessing in disguise for the 6-foot-11 big man.

Noel thought he wanted to go first overall, but he didn't want that label. Nobody in this draft is prepared to handle those expectations.

QuoteSure, there were red flags. Plenty. There was the torn ACL and meniscus in February that will almost certainly force Noel to have to sit and watch the NBA season opener from the bench.

There were concerns with the "people" he chose to surround himself, questions about how his narrow shoulders and lithe frame would hold up while battling with grown men in the NBA. Let's not forget to toss in the fact that he doesn't have much of an offensive game.

But Noel was the front-runner to be selected No. 1 overall leading up to Thursday night. There was no chance he'd slip lower than fourth, not when just about everyone knew Charlotte was going with size. However, the look on Noel's face was that of sheer bewilderment when NBA commissioner David Stern called out the name of another near-7-footer in Cody Zeller.

Then, to make matters worse, new Phoenix Suns general manager Ryan McDonough -- who basically hails from down the street from Noel -- followed it up by passing in favor of another big man, 7-footer Alex Len.

Noel was still on the board at No. 6. The only solace he could take from his slide was that he could glance a couple of tables over in the Barclays Center and see former Kansas star Ben McLemore with the same baffled look on his face.

However, just moments later, Noel was informed he would remain in the Northeast -- part of a trade to Philadelphia that also delivered a highly coveted 2014 first-round draft pick in return for Jrue Holiday and a second-rounder (which wound up being Pierre Jackson).

No one knows for certain why Noel fell. One general manager who passed told ESPN that it was likely due to the ACL injury and those he decided to surround himself with throughout the draft process.

Another executive responded with the following text message: "The knee looks bad."

The fall certainly cost Noel a few bucks in his first contract, but the second deal is the one that truly matters. Now Noel has a chance to be far more marketable in a city like Philadelphia than in Cleveland. He'll also come in with a chip on his shoulder again, similar to when he arrived at Kentucky a year ago with no shortage of skeptics.

Noel was a PR dream at UK, making good choices and non-arranged visits to the Children's hospitals including taking the ill kid to the Kentucky Derby as his guest.

His hangers-on, not registered NBA agents, got a representation for shielding him from front offices and that is a bad combo with an ACL injury. Players today may not be students of the past but Sam Bowie is not long forgotten by NBA brass.