Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Whatever happened to ... ?

Started by jbcarol, June 03, 2012, 06:56:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Meilinger and Wuerffel bring the SEC's representation in the College Football Hall of Fame to 82 players and 27 coaches.

QuoteEleven SEC players were among the 77 on this year's final ballot. SEC players on the final ballot who were not selected for the College Football Hall of Fame's Class of 2013 were Arkansas G Brandon Burlsworth, Tennessee DB Bobby Majors, Auburn DB Buddy McClinton, Tennessee LB Paul Naumoff, Kentucky DE Art Still, Georgia OT Matt Stinchcomb, Alabama LB Derrick Thomas, Tennessee LB Jackie Walker, Ole Miss TE Wesley Walls and Georgia DB Scott Woerner.

Wuerffel's 114 career TD passes are still 19 more than any other SEC player has ever thrown.

Meilinger carried the nicknames of "Mr. Anywhere" and "Kentucky's One-Man Gang." He also became the object of a famous spoof by the Kentucky marching band, when, during a halftime performance, a trombone player dressed in full football gear and wearing Meilinger's No. 80 scurried onto the field to join the other musicians. It wasn't Meilinger, of course, but the point was made.

In describing Meilinger's elusiveness in the open field, Bryant once said his star ran "like a cow on ice."

Meilinger is the first Kentucky player chosen for the College Football Hall of Fame since Arkansas joined the SEC.

He was a US Marshall and is credited along with a handful of others of establishing the Witness Protection program.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

... LSU Athletic Hall of Fame member Eric Reid and family.

His son, the first round pick of the 49ers got track speed from one parent and football skills from the other.

Eric Reid, Sr. was a three-time All-American hurdler and Sharon Guillory-Reid was, of course, a two-way star for the Baton Rouge Wildcats of the old Women's American Football League.

Guillory-Reid, a registered nurse who is regularly flown for work in the Bay Area among other locations, instilled academic and life discipline that helped Reid, Jr., become not only, a two-time All-American but also a two-time member of the All-Southeastern Conference academic honor roll.

The 6-foot-1, 213-pound safety was a key member of a defense that ranked among the league's best in points allowed, total yards and rushing yards.

Now, as Reid gets adjusted to the Bay Area, his first scouting report will come from Mom, who plans to use her knowledge of the area to get her son settled.

jbcarol

Former Vol QB Jonathan Crompton signed with the Edmonton Eskimos.

Crompton tied Erik Ainge for third all time in career TD passes at UT with 27.

jbcarol

... Terry Beasley

Auburn legend Terry Beasley's spirits lifted by outpouring of support as he battles health problems in Birmingham

QuoteTerry Beasley, the fleet, gutsy split end who still owns nearly all of Auburn's receiving records, has been in the intensive care unit at Brookwood Medical Center in Birmingham for most of the week, but his spirits have brightened in recent days, according to his family.

Beasley, a two-time All-American who caught 141 passes for 2,507 yards and 29 touchdowns in a three-year career that spanned from 1969 to 1971 as Pat Sullivan's favorite receiver, was hospitalized earlier this week with several health problems.

"My father needs your help more than ever, he is so sick in I.C.U," Beasley's son posted  earlier this week. "He is not doing well and his lungs are not producing oxygen. His pacemaker is not doing very well. His brain is in overdrive and cannot control much at all, after years of injuries, abuse, and hard work."

But Beasley has gotten somewhat better in recent days...

Jay Jacobs ‏@jayjacobsauad 3h
Talked with Marlene Beasley, wife of Terry today. She wanted me to pass on that they need our prayers. Send note of encouragement to Terry..

jbcarol

... Stephen Martin, the first black varsity athlete to ever play in the SEC.

Martin, who was a CF for the Tulane baseball team in their last season in the SEC, died Tuesday at 66.

Stephen Martin retired from his position as CFO from Tuskegee University last year.

jbcarol

... Steven Pearl

Appears in an ad for a Knoxville BBQ restaurant. He starts the ad with the line, "If there's one thing we Pearls know, it's how to throw a barbecue" and keeps the laughs rolling with "Just remember, my two rules for legendary backyard barbecues: get your food from Calhoun's and absolutely no photography" before ending with this disclaimer: "Offer not available to Aaron Craft."

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=133839
(video available at link)

jbcarol

... Travis Ford

Quote"I'd had a couple of friends who had been to Katrina and helped, and to Joplin, and I called them and asked them what they did and one of them told me they had hooked up one of these industrial grills behind their truck and loaded up hamburgers and hot dogs and took off," Ford said. "I just thought that was a really good idea. So I threw my coaching staff together and said, 'Hey, this is what we're going to do. I'm going to find a grill, find as many hot dogs and hamburgers as I can find and buns.' And we got it all together in the matter of a day."

Ford and staff grilled out for the victims in Moore.

jbcarol

May 31, 2013, 07:26:13 am #159 Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 08:32:51 am by jbcarol
... former Vol volleyball coach Julie Herman

The hometown rag of The Boss, Asbury Park Press reports that Rutgers paid Parker Executive Search firm $70,000 to find and do a background check on Herman before hiring her as AD from the associate position at UofL.

One item not discussed much during her time at UT: She was trying to keep up.

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2013/may/30/lawsuit-when-julie-hermann-was-lady-vols-coach/

jbcarol

jbcarol

... JaMarcus Russell

CBSSports.com has confirmed an ESPNChicago report that the Bears are planning to work out Russell. Emphasis on planning. The workout hasn't been exactly set yet but it appears it will happen.

To be clear, this is not to say Russell would be the primary backup, he'd just be on the roster, to develop and see just how much he has really changed.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/mike-freeman/22351790/source-jamarcus-russell-could-get-workouts-with-at-least-three-teams

Purple Drank almost did Russell in back in the 2000s.

jbcarol

... Kim Shrigley, Bruce Pearl's ex-wife who opened a hair and nail salon using money from her divorce.

After nearly five years, Shrigley is closing her beauty salon.

"It was an economic decision based upon return on investment," Francis said. "It was a pure economic decision."

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2013/jun/07/carly-harrington-bruce-pearls-ex-wife-to-close

A couple of the employees claimed to have done well there personally and have landed at other businesses with one starting her own.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on April 22, 2013, 09:53:29 am
Decatur police arrested Rolando McClain and charged the former Alabama linebacker with disorderly conduct and resisting arrest on Sunday

The arrest followed a report of a disturbance at Pines Park in Decatur, police said in a short press release and didn't offer further details.

McClain was released from jail after he posted a $1,000 bond. Both charges are misdemeanors.

McClain, a Decatur native, has had repeated run-ins with Decatur police.

He was convicted in Decatur municipal court on May 18, 2012, of reckless endangerment, menacing, third-degree assault and firing a gun in the city limits after an incident in which he fired a handgun near the head of a childhood friend on Nov. 30, 2011. He was sentenced to 180 days in jail.

McClain appealed the conviction to circuit court, where the charges were dismissed when the victim, Rishard Tapscott, declined to testify, The Decatur Daily reported.

On Jan. 8, less than a week before purchasing a $1 million home in Madison, McClain was arrested in Decatur on charges of violating the city's window tint code as well as providing false information to police.

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2013/04/decatur_police_charge_former_b.html

Kevin Scarbinsky ‏@KevinScarbinsky 2h
RT @Andrew_Gribble: Saban says Rolando McClain is back in school at Alabama.

jbcarol

... Joe Dean, Sr.

The History of the SEC on TV

QuoteTwenty-five of Steve's 33 years in college athletics, starting as a 1966 Heisman Trophy winning quarterback at Florida and later as the coach of the 1996 national championship Gators, have been spent in the SEC.

"You know, I think besides bowl games, I might have played on TV once as a player, and it was a regional telecast," Steve said.

weekly syndicated SEC basketball telecasts that started in 1966 which marked the SEC's first regularly scheduled TV events.

Right in the middle of it was Joe Sr., a former All-SEC basketball star at LSU in the mid 1950s who played alongside the legendary Bob Pettit. Joe, a native of New Albany, Ind., eschewed a possible pro basketball career to work for Converse Rubber Company, which sold basketball shoes to almost every college team in the country.

In his travels as a salesman before becoming a company executive who helped Converse sign Larry Bird, Magic Johnson and Chris Evert, Joe befriended coaches from coast-to-coast.

During one SEC tourney game featuring Florida, tart-tongued late Gators' coach Norm Sloan wasn't happy with his team's shot selection. He let them know about it with a string of expletives captured live.

Joe Dean Sr., the granddaddy of SEC TV analysts in all sports, did his best to save the day working with play-by-play announcer Tom Hammond.

"Well Tom, I've known Norm Sloan a long time," said Joe, "and I just want all the Moms and Dads out there to know Coach Sloan normally doesn't use that language."

Tim Brando: "We some great Florida games in 1995 and 1996 when Spurrier really had it going. We had the Arkansas upset at Alabama in 1995 when J.J. Meadors caught the game-winning TD pass from Barry Lunney on a controversial play. I did Peyton Manning's last game in Knoxville in 1997 as Tennessee's quarterback.

"I did Arkansas' last home basketball game in Barnhill Arena in 1993, driving from St. Louis to Fayetteville in a rental car after our plane couldn't land in Fayetteville or Fort Smith because of bad weather. Rick Schaffer, Arkansas' sports information director, basically guided me to the arena through backroads over the phone. I walked into the arena, changed and got in front of the camera 30 seconds before we went on the air..."

Joe Dean, Jr. does color on some SEC basketball games currently reviving his father's catch phrase "That's string music in [the home arena or town and state]."

jbcarol

...Udonis Haslem?

"I've been known to kick a little ass every now and then, you know what I'm saying? You feel me? I tell my teammates all the time, man, never in a million years had I thought I'd be making all of this money, so just to pay $2,000 to slap somebody upside the head, I'll pay that all day. They could get that $2,000."

Haslem played for Billy Donovan from '98-02 after getting Frank Martin's Miami Senior team stripped of his high school state titles and forfeit of the entire season's wins along with Steve Blake.  Haslem lived in Broward County.

jbcarol

... Patrick Peterson?

Christy C. Chirinos ‏@BrowardHSsports 2h
Former Blanche Ely star and Cardinals CB @RealPeterson21 held his first youth camp today not far from his old HS. pic.twitter.com/b4tzwG2Wvr

https://twitter.com/BrowardHSsports/status/351019791764574208/photo/1

jbcarol

... two-way old school Tennessee star Ken Honea?

Vols veteran Ken Honea wants to see old-time toughness in UT team

Recalls playing the day after JFK was shot

QuoteClinching his jaw tighter around the plug of Red Man chewing tobacco, Honea raises a cup to his mouth and spits before recalling each new story from his time first as a two-way star at City High and the University of Tennessee, then as a linebacker for the New York Jets and later as a successful high school coach.

"I just played as hard as I could every day in practice and in games," Honea said. "I ran a lot of extra sprints and lifted weights (between smokes?). I did whatever I could to be ready to play. I wasn't real big, but I was strong and I think I was pretty tough. I had to be, because I played against a lot of guys who were a lot bigger than me.

"I still watch Tennessee's games on TV. I wish they could get back to what they were so I could be proud. They're so much bigger now, but they don't seem to be as tough as when I played."

One of his shining moments on the field came during one of the nation's darkest hours. On Nov. 23, 1963, just one day after President John F. Kennedy was assassinated, Honea, a senior at the time, caught a 14-yard pass and caused two fumbles to lead the Vols to a 19-0 win at Kentucky.

The Tennessee team already was in Lexington, going through its final practice, that Friday afternoon when the surreal news was announced that the president had been shot and killed in a Dallas motorcade.

While many of the nation's sporting events were canceled or postponed, the entire SEC schedule of games was played that next day. But the pageantry normally associated with college football games in the South was missing. The cheerleaders didn't lead any yells. The Beer Barrel, the trophy back then for each year's winner in the UT-UK rivalry, was not on the field. At halftime Kentucky governor Bert Combs led a somber memorial service and the two university bands combined to play the national anthem.

"We went back to the hotel after practice and then went in and played the game the next day," Honea said, recalling the events as we near the 50th anniversary of that day. "Once they said we were going to play, I just tried to block out everything else.

"I was the kind of player who needed to concentrate on what my job was or else I wasn't very good. I didn't really notice much in the crowd or off the field that day. I was just there to do my job. It really hit me after the game, what had happened. That's when it all sank in."

Honea followed his all-star college days by playing one season with the Jets before finishing his career with a two-year stint of semi-pro ball in Richmond, Va.

Today Mr. Honea is a resident of the East Ridge Life Care Center (near Chattanooga) where he holds the title of unofficial "Mayor".

jbcarol

... State PG Leland Noyal Mitchell

MSU alumnus and "Game of Change" guard Leland Noyal Mitchell, 72, died Saturday [July 6] at his residence in Starkville. A real estate developer with interests in Mississippi, Alabama and Tennessee, he was a member of Mississippi State's M-Club Hall of Fame.

Visitation is scheduled for Wednesday [July 10], from 5-7 p.m., at Welch Funeral Home in Starkville. Funeral services are scheduled for Thursday [July 11], at 11 a.m., in the chapel of Welch Funeral Home, and burial will be in Memorial Garden Park Cemetery.

Mitchell, played basketball at MSU under Babe McCarthy during the early 1960's and was an All-Southeastern Conference honoree in 1963, a season in which the university lost to eventual national champion Loyola University Chicago in the NCAA regional semifinals. That game ranks among MSU's and the state's finest hours both in athletics and racial reconciliation. Until this time, the team had been prohibited from participating in the NCAA Tournament because of the possibility of playing a team with African-American players. However, after being invited in 1963, the team defied state law and devised a plan to sneak off campus to play in the tournament.

Mitchell later said, "We wanted to play. We had just won the SEC championship for the third year in a row and we hadn't been allowed to play in the NCAA Tournament the past two years. For us the biggest thing was getting the opportunity to play in the tournament because it was something we felt we deserved. It was much more than a basketball game. We were making history. We were ambassadors for the South, though none of us realized it at the time."

He went on to be drafted by the Dallas Cowboys football team and also was drafted to play basketball by the St. Louis Hawks. He spent the 1967-68 season in the American Basketball Association as a member of the New Orleans Buccaneers. It has been said that "Leland was one of the best basketball players ever produced by the State of Mississippi."

http://www.msstate.edu/web/media/announcement.php?id=1709

jbcarol

... Former LSU and NFL running back Cecil Collins?

Former LSU and NFL running back Cecil Collins could be freed from prison after more than 13 years, following a Baton Rouge judge's ruling Thursday that cleared the path for him to be released on bond.

Collins had been released from a Florida prison May 1 after his 13-and-a-half-year term for a burglary in Miami. He was then extradited to Louisiana, since he had committed the crime in Florida while on probation in Louisiana.

"The Diesel" was dismissed from LSU after a couple of charges of illegally entering dwellings "just to watch her sleep".  He found a home at McNeese State before Jimmy Johnson drafted him to the Dolphins.  He had almost made it through his first NFL season when he committed burglary that brought the charge for which he is being released.

jbcarol

... the SEC lead guard who could only be stopped by Tubby Smith?

During a youth basketball summer camp in his native Lousiville, Kentucky, someone asked Rajon about his status with the Celtics. Rondo told his camp attendees "I'll never play for the Miami Heat."

Rondo's Yukon Denali on campus was differentiated from current UNC player PJ "Sad" Hairston.  Rondo claimed his was supplied by a pre-existing relationship with former UK player Derek Anderson.  No word on whether Hairston had a pre-existing relationship with Fats Thomas.

jbcarol

... the SEC's basketball equivalent to "The Blind Side" story?

Peter Parker memories and a new start for Eric Bledsoe

QuoteIn town for Friday night's Earl Bennett Celebrity Basketball Game, Parker alum and NBA star guard Eric Bledsoe talked about things both old and new.

"I usually get back here every Summer, but not much more than that," Bledsoe said. "I'm hoping to get back here more in the future, though, and maybe do a clinic next Summer."

Bledsoe had been with the Los Angeles Clippers since the 2010 season. His off-season trade to the Phoenix Suns has been viewed generally as a real shot in the arm to a team that needs star power.

Bledsoe said that he is looking forward to the new season.

"I have some really great memories with the Clippers organization," he said, "but this is a new start."

A shy, understated Bledsoe had one of the great quotes at a college choice press conference. Asked what he would do if John Wall also committed (they both played lead guard), Bledsoe replied that, "he would Wall would get  stuff  right."

chiefhawg

Quote from: jbcarol on July 14, 2013, 07:33:38 am
... the SEC lead guard who could only be stopped by Tubby Smith?

During a youth basketball summer camp in his native Lousiville, Kentucky, someone asked Rajon about his status with the Celtics. Rondo told his camp attendees "I'll never play for the Miami Heat."

Rondo's Yukon Denali on campus was differentiated from current UNC player PJ "Sad" Hairston.  Rondo claimed his was supplied by a pre-existing relationship with former UK player Derek Anderson.  No word on whether Hairston had a pre-existing relationship with Fats Thomas.
Viewing the third video about Rondo's math genius; Rondo acknowledges that he is hard to coach. He says that he sees things on the court differently than the coach from the sideline etc. He and Doc Rivers matured over the past seven years to be able to work together. Should be an interesting year for Brad Stevens if Rondo remains with the Celtic.

jbcarol

Quote from: chiefhawg on July 14, 2013, 02:11:05 pm
Viewing the third video about Rondo's math genius; Rondo acknowledges that he is hard to coach. He says that he sees things on the court differently than the coach from the sideline etc. He and Doc Rivers matured over the past seven years to be able to work together. Should be an interesting year for Brad Stevens if Rondo remains with the Celtic.

Stevens did get some experience last season even if last athletic but with a better shot.

jbcarol

Browns' Trent Richardson says he's pain-free: 'I'll be full-go' when camp starts

QuoteOn Tuesday, Richardson conducted a free football camp for 350 kids at his alma mater, Escambia High. He's also spent a lot of time with another Escambia alum, Hall of Famer Emmitt Smith.

"Just being able to learn from him is more than than I can ask for,'' said Richardson. "He's still the NFL's all-time leading rusher right now until somebody goes and gets him. One day, hopefully I'll be the one to go get him.''

No play for Mr. Gray.

jbcarol

... Cap'n Munnerlyn

The workmen hammering away at Murphy High School had a little more diversion today as they went about the task of repairing and restoring the tornado damage the school suffered in December.

They could look down from the rooftop and see 300 or so youngsters scampering around Murphy's practice field, all there for the fourth annual Captain Munnerlyn Football Camp.

With the Carolina Panthers' training camp set to open on Thursday, Munnleryn, a former Murphy High football and track star who's now a cornerback for the NFL team, took a break from his pro preparations to host the free camp.

Quote"I had to go through a lot of people to have this out here because they're still working on the school," Munnerlyn said. "When the tornado hit, I thought about the people who lost a lot of memories, and I'm glad nobody got hurt, but I said, 'Man, I don't know what I'm going to do with my youth football camp this year.'

"I didn't want to go to McGill and use their field. That's our rival. That would look real bad. I didn't want to go to Ladd Stadium. I wanted to use the field that I practiced on. It always brings flashbacks and memories, so I'm happy I got to do it at Murphy High School."

The youngsters worked with position coaches on football fundamentals all morning, with Munnerlyn moving from station to station. He leaves Monday for training camp in Spartanburg, S.C., to start his fifth season with the Panthers.

"I'm just giving back to the community," Munnerlyn said. "It's something I do every year. I come home and put on this football camp, just to show the kids something different and show them that they can make it and just talk to them about life and let them know education is the big key to life. Everybody is not going to make it to where I made it, and you have to get your education.

"I didn't have that when I was younger..."

In the warmup for the field work, Munnerlyn emphasized three messages to the youngsters - "keep God first," "hit the books" and "be careful who you stay around."

"I weighed 3 pounds when I was born," Munnerlyn told the group. "I was premature. I don't suppose to be here. That's why when you see me, I'm always smiling.

"When someone tells you you're too small, you're not smart enough, just press on. You keep working. You can do it. Look at me."

The Cap'n was also careful to remind the youngsters that NFL can stand for "Not For Long".

jbcarol

... Ryan Swope?

Early retirement

The Arizona Cardinals on Thursday placed former Texas A&M receiver Ryan Swope on the reserve/retired list because of concussion issues on the eve of the Caardinals opening fall camp.

"We knew Ryan has a concussion history in college and understood that it could possibly be an issue," said Arizona general manager Steve Keim on the team's website. "But weighing all the elements – the medical information available, the particular position in the draft – it was a decision we were comfortable making.

"As it turned out, he had a setback after he got here. Over the course of the subsequent evaluations, we all decided that Ryan's long-term well-being was the number-one priority and this was the best course to take."

The reserve/retired list is used by teams to place retiring players in a position where should they should choose to return to the NFL, the team would still have the rights to them.

Swope was timed at 4.35 seconds in the NFL Combine.

"As a result of a concussion I suffered during OTAs, I was advised by doctors that there were serious risks in returning to play football at this point," Swope said in a statement released by his agent. "It has been a lifelong dream to play in the NFL but my long-term health interests outweigh my current goals for football. Because of that, I am electing to retire from the game for now and and then reassess my future after this season. In the meantime, I plan to return to Texas A&M to pursue my degree.

"I want to thank the Arizona Cardinals organization for the opportunity and their support. I wish the team much success this season."

Another valid reason to leave after the junior season.

jbcarol

... Dallas Owens

UK DB during their greatest season since The Bear died of brain tumors. He was 56.

Though banned from a post-season bowl by NCAA probation in 1977, Fran Curci's Wildcats went 10-1 and became the only Kentucky football squad ever to compile an undefeated SEC record (6-0). Yet that UK football season to remember actually got off to a rocky start. That is, until Cats defensive back Dallas Owens made a single play in State College, Pa.

On Oct. 1, 1977, Owens was the UK strong safety in Beaver Stadium as the Cats fell behind No. 4 Penn State 10-0.

"That damn thing was going downhill, and it was going downhill fast," Derrick Ramsey, the 1977 UK quarterback, recalled. "Then Dallas made the play that changed everything."

"They sent Cefalo in motion," Owens said in a 1998 interview. "We were so well-prepared, when I saw that, I knew what play they were running, I knew they were going to throw it to him in the flat. So I just stepped in front of him and (Fusina) threw me the ball." Owens took the pick 23 yards to the house. The touchdown not only launched UK to a 24-20 comeback victory over Joe Paterno. It seemed to alter the arc of Kentucky's entire season.

http://www.kentucky.com/2013/07/29/2739596/mark-story-dallas-owens-and-the.html

jbcarol

jbcarol

... Terrence Jones

Just for fun he said, "Get a job."  That's just the way it is. Some things'll never change... Ah, don't you believe it.

KATU in Portland, Oregon: Terrence Jones was arrested at 2 a.m. Wednesday morning after police said he yelled at a homeless man and stomped on his leg. The former Cat and current Houston Rocket was charged with harassment...

Terrence Jones' mugshot from the Multnomah County Jail
http://kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=137749

jbcarol

... Riley Cooper

Riley Cooper apologizes for racial slur at Kenny Chesney concert

QuoteCooper wasn't the only one forced to apologize -- Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie said the team was "shocked and appalled" by Cooper's comments and stated that Cooper "has been fined" for the video.

"We are shocked and appalled by Riley Cooper's words," Lurie said in a statement. "This sort of behavior or attitude from anyone has no role in a civil society. He has accepted responsibility for his words and his actions. He has been fined for this incident."

The NFL, obviously, wasn't very happy with the incident either.

BOUNTY ON RILEY
Marcus Vick offers $1G to light up Riley

Mike Vick ‏@MikeVick 2h
Riley's my friend Our relationship is mutual respect. He looked me in the eyes and apologized. I believe in forgiveness and I believe in him

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/johnbreech

Matthew Dutton ‏@mattd12 10h
A preacher, a murderer, and a racist walk into a bar. Bartender says "Welcome back, 2008 Gators' Offense!" #2ndDraftJoke

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: jbcarol on August 01, 2013, 07:33:12 am

https://twitter.com/johnbreech

Matthew Dutton ‏@mattd12 10h
A preacher, a murderer, and a racist walk into a bar. Bartender says "Welcome back, 2008 Gators' Offense!" #2ndDraftJoke

That is funny how you got all three of the players you were referring to in that one picture!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jbcarol

... former UK OC and Texas Tech HC and current WSU HC Mike Leach's lawsuit

LUBBOCK -- A judge is preparing to grant summary judgment in favor of Craig James, ESPN Inc. and a public relations firm in lawsuits brought against them by football coach Mike Leach after he was fired by Texas Tech.

Leach attorney Stephen Heninger said Thursday that the judge sent letters to attorneys, asking defense attorneys to draw up an order for summary judgment in the cases. Heninger said Leach would appeal once the judge rules.

Texas Tech fired Leach in December 2009 amid accusations he mistreated James' son...

http://espn.go.com/college-football

jbcarol

... Auburn walk-on golfer Jason Dufner

Dufner hopes acorns collected at PGA Championship can one day be oaks at Toomer's Corner

Quote"That would be nice, if they're up to it. It's an idea," Dufner said. "I know we've got some time before we can actually plant something in that area, but I think that would be pretty cool. But that's probably pretty selfish on my part, too. Maybe it'll be an option."

jbcarol

... Barkevious Mingo

Mingo, a former LSU star, was hospitalized Thursday night after suffering a bruised lung in the Browns' 24-6 preseason victory over Detroit.

Though held in the hospital overnight, Mingo (6-4, 240), the No. 6 overall pick in April's NFL draft, reportedly jogged into the tunnel after being injured.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/08/cleveland_browns_barkevious_mi.html

jbcarol

... former UGa and UK coach Tubby Smith.

You don't want to be where you're tolerated," he said, "but where you're celebrated."

Smith is starting anew at Texas Tech after being fired at Minnesota earlier this year. "There's a shelf life everywhere," he said.

QuoteWhen Tubby Smith left Kentucky for Minnesota in 2007, he said the move would take him where he was wanted. On Monday, in reacting to the announcement that he will be among this year's inductees into the UK Athletic Hall of Fame, he offered a clarification.

"I didn't mean it that way," he said when reminded of the inference that UK did not want him to remain as basketball coach. He noted the distinction between feeling wanted and feeling needed. It was not necessarily that he felt unwanted by UK. After 10 seasons as Kentucky coach, he sensed that Minnesota had a greater need for his talents.

"I tell recruits it's just as important to be needed as wanted," Smith said. "You have to make that determination. How much are you valued? ...

"I always felt comfortable (at UK). It was just time for a change. I miss the folks there."

At Tech, Smith follows another former UK coach, Billy Gillispie. Of course, Minnesota hired Richard Pitino, the son of yet another former UK coach, to replace Smith.

"A strange scenario," he said. "(Texas Tech) is a good opportunity for me. I can use my whole skill set."

jbcarol

jbcarol

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 2h
Patriots released Tim Tebow.

jbcarol

... Richie Farmer

Richie Farmer has entered a guilty plea to government corruption charges in a deal with prosecutors.

The former University of Kentucky basketball star-turned-politician faces about two years in prison for misdeeds while serving as the state's agriculture commissioner.

Appearing Friday morning in U.S. District Court, Farmer apologized for letting down the people of Kentucky.

Farmer was a shooting guard for the Wildcats in 1988-92 and played for the UK team known as "The Unforgettables." His jersey hangs in the rafters at Rupp Arena.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9668766/ex-kentucky-wildcats-hoops-star-richie-farmer-pleads-guilty-corruption-case

Former Pelphrey teammate had the former Arkansas coach doing commercials for Kentucky produced farm products in the late aughts.

jbcarol

... RC Slocum

Former A&M coach R.C. Slocum has been selected to receive the Bear Bryant Lifetime Achievement Award.

Slocum is set to receive the award at an event in Houston in January.

QuoteThe coaching lifetime achievement award was created in 2000. It is presented to a coach who has brought honor and sportsmanship to college football.

jbcarol

... Maudrecus Humphrey

UAB receiver Maudrecus Humphrey will not be eligible to play this season.

Humphrey is eligible to remain on financial aid and practice this year, the school said. The Hoover native started his career at Arkansas for two seasons, leaving and not playing anywhere last year before signing with UAB in February.

UAB athletics director Brian Mackin made the announcement on Friday morning.

"Obviously, we are disappointed for Maudrecus and his family that he will not be able to play this season," Mackin said. "The issue with his eligibility was one that was addressed internally and through standard NCAA procedures. We have recently learned that the NCAA's review determined that Maudrecus will not be eligible this season. We look forward to him continuing to be a part of our football program."

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/09/uab_receiver_maudrecus_humphre_1.html