Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Whatever happened to ... ?

Started by jbcarol, June 03, 2012, 06:56:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Michael Carvell‏ @Michael_Carvell 7h7 hours ago

Arkansas to celebrate Frank Broyles' life on Saturday  https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/arkansas-celebrate-frank-broyles-life-saturday

QuoteArkansas will celebrate Frank Broyles' life with an event at 2 p.m. local time Saturday. It will be held at Bud Walton Arena.

On Monday, Broyles passed away at age 92 in Fayetteville, Ark. He was a former football coach for the Razorbacks, compiling a 144-58-5 record from 1958-76. His 1964 team won a split national championship.

After leading the Razorbacks to the 1964 FWAA national championship, Broyles was awarded the AFCA (American Football Coaches Association) Coach of the Year while earning the same award from Sporting News.

Broyles was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1983. The annual Broyles Award, given to college football's top assistant coach, is named in his honor.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Gavin Lesnick‏Verified account @glesnick 14h14 hours ago

LOOKING BACK: 1957 sports pages from Arkansas Democrat, Gazette when Frank Broyles was hired at UA » http://www.arkansasonline.com/broyles1957/  #WPS

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

...Marcus Lattimore

Marcus Lattimore gives incredible first pregame speech as high school coach

QuoteOn Thursday, the former South Carolina running back fired up his team during his first pregame speech as the football coach of Heathwood Hall, a private school in Columbia, S.C.

"Here's what you need to know: I don't care what happens on that field tonight as long as you give me 100 percent," Lattimore says during the speech. "That's it. One-hundred percent, and match their intensity from the first snap. ... Let's get it! I love every last one of you all."

The former player's approach to being a high school coach:

"I thought my life would take a different path. I thought I would be in the NFL, going into my fifth year. Life takes its turns, and you have to be able to adjust.

"Thank God that I have had good people in my life to help me adjust and navigate through all the adversity that I've been through."

Lattimore ran for 2,677 yards with the Gamecocks from 2010-12. He entered the NFL as a fourth-round pick by the San Francisco 49ers in the 2013 NFL Draft. But he announced his retirement from the NFL in November 2014 after dealing with serious knee injuries

jbcarol

... Victor Rojas

Adam Zuvanich‏ @AZuvanich 10h10 hours ago

Nearly two years to the day after he tackled an official, Victor Rojas played football again for Jay: http://www.expressnews.com/sports/high_school/high_school_football/article/2-years-later-player-who-attacked-ref-returns-to-12170040.php ... #txhsfb

QuoteVictor Rojas lined up to the right of the Jay defensive line and got a slight jump on the snap, which gave him a clear path to Harlandale quarterback Steven Benitez.

The Mustangs' blitzing outside linebacker delivered a jarring blow to Benitez right after he handed off to teammate John Navarro, prompting some "oohs" from the crowd at Gustafson Stadium.

Saturday night's hit was similar to the one Rojas made toward the end of his last game for Jay, which knocked official Robert Watts to the ground and sparked a controversy that rocked the football-watching world.

This time, though, the hit was clean and did not even draw a flag, and Benitez was no worse for the wear.

Nearly two years to the day after Rojas and then-senior Michael Moreno tackled and speared Watts at the urging of former Jay assistant coach Mack Breed, resulting in legal action against all three and their dismissal from the Mustangs' program, Rojas returned to the field.

He started in Jay's season-opening 35-6 win over Harlandale, with his parents watching from the [CENSORED] of the bleachers.

"He's happy to be playing," said his mother, Rosa Rojas. "He's doing good."

Victor Rojas was indefinitely suspended from all UIL activities after the Sept. 4, 2015, game at Marble Falls and did not compete for Jay as a junior last year.

The UIL's State Executive Committee lifted the suspension Jan. 17, when Rojas traveled to Austin, apologized for his actions, and expressed remorse.

He rejoined the Mustangs' football program during the spring semester of last school year, after meeting what Northside ISD athletic director Stan Laing described as additional expectations from his coaches and the school district.

He declined to say what those expectations were.

Jay coach Gary Gutierrez, who did not respond to multiple calls in the days leading up to the season opener and did not make Rojas available for comment, said shortly after the Mustangs started preseason practices that Rojas was back with the team and would have a yet-to-be-determined role.

He was a starting safety as a sophomore.

"He's a good kid, and he's trying to redeem himself," Gutierrez said. "I've got no complaints."

Neither did some fans on both sides of Gustafson Stadium, a few of whom did not realize Rojas was back on the field until informed by a reporter.

Rojas mostly blended in with his teammates, running over to celebrate with Malik Ross after his first-quarter interception.

Rojas had no visible reaction to being shoved from behind by Harlandale's Sergio Abarca at the end of a punt play.

Fans for both Jay and Harlandale, while acknowledging Rojas made a mistake two years ago, said he deserved a second chance.

"He's still a kid," Harlandale graduate Nick Torres said. "If he has a chance to turn his life around, that's good for him."

Not every Jay fan in attendance shared that sentiment.

"They never should have let him back playing," Herman Bara said. "He knew right from wrong."

Jay Downs, Watts' Dallas-based attorney, said his client did not agree with Rojas' reinstatement by the UIL and his school. Downs said Watts continues to experience physical ailments as a result of the in-game attack, including vertigo, fatigue and post-concussion syndrome.

Downs said Watts has continued to officiate but on a limited basis.

"I think that he probably feels it's disappointing to see young Mr. Rojas playing football again," Downs said. "At the same time, I think that's tempered by the fact that the people that I think are truly responsible are the coaching staff and the school district."

Along those lines, Downs filed a civil lawsuit on Watts' behalf in Burnet County on Aug. 9, naming Breed and Northside ISD as defendants and seeking between $200,000 and $1 million in damages.

Laing said he could not comment on the pending litigation.

The lawsuit claims the school district is responsible for the actions of Breed, who admitted to school administrators that he directed Moreno and Rojas to take out Watts, lost his job and later pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor assault charge in Burnet County.

Breed, Moreno and Rojas were ordered to pay joint restitution to Watts totaling $4,756.61.

Downs suggested Watts' lingering physical problems contributed to him losing his job as a vice president with the Austin Chamber of Commerce earlier this year.

"He is unemployed at this time," Downs said Thursday. "I think it did have an effect on his job. He wasn't able to do his job as well as he could before."

jbcarol

...Jackie Burkett

Phillip Marshall reported Saturday that former Tigers player, Jackie Burkett, passed away at age 80 on Friday night in Fort Walton Beach

QuoteBurkett was diagnosed with leukemia last spring, per Marshall.

Burkett was a center and linebacker at Auburn from 1957-59. A three-time All-SEC selection, he was a member of the 1957 national championship team. He was an All-American in 1958.

Burkett spent time as a professional with the Baltimore Colts, New Orleans Saints and Dallas Cowboys.

jbcarol

...Billy Ray Lickert

illy Ray Lickert, the 1957 Kentucky Mr. Basketball recipient who went on to have an All-America career at the University of Kentucky, died early Wednesday. He was 78.

QuoteLickert, who played at Lafayette High School, became the second Mr. Basketball winner to die in the past week. Jim McDaniels, the 1967 winner out of Allen County-Scottsville who went on to have a prolific career at Western Kentucky University and in the American Basketball Association, died last Wednesday.

Lickert, who was inducted into the UK Athletics Hall of Fame in 2010, was named a Scholastic Coach Magazine All-American in 1957. He was selected to the coaches' All-Southeastern Conference First Team as a sophomore, junior and senior while at UK, and was a Helms Foundation second-team All-American as a senior. He was drafted in the fifth round of the 1961 NBA Draft by the Los Angeles Lakers and ranks 49th in career scoring (1,076 points) at UK.

David Nisbet, a nephew of Lickert, told the Herald-Leader that the Lakers wanted Lickert to "try out" for the team but that Lickert wouldn't go without a guaranteed contract because he already had a wife and son. The Lakers told Lickert that "even Jerry [The Logo] West didn't get a guaranteed contract" and that if he didn't make the team, they would set him up with a job at an insurance company.

Lickert declined L.A.'s offer and stayed in Lexington to work for Mason and Hanger, an architecture and engineering firm, where he eventually rose to the position of corporate secretary and treasurer.

"The most humble and good-hearted man I've ever met," Nisbet wrote in an email. "Kentucky lost a great man today."

Lickert was inducted into the Kentucky High School Basketball Hall of Fame in 2013. J.R. VanHoose, the 1998 Mr. Basketball winner out of Paintsville, was also part of that Hall of Fame class. Guys like Lickert "are true legends and will always have a place in our history.

"He was everything I expected," VanHoose wrote. "Well versed in basketball history, a great storyteller and very receptive to talk to me about basketball and anything I had questions about.

"I remember walking in to a lunch, the day of our Hall of Fame induction. There was Billy Ray, Johnny Cox, Linville Puckett and Larry Conley sitting and telling stories about Coach Rupp! What history, what stories and what a great time they were having. Of course I was honored when they asked me to sit with them."

jbcarol

jbcarol

...GurShall

Michael Carvell‏ @Michael_Carvell

Former Georgia RB Keith Marshall helps buy awesome birthday gift for young child he just met

QuoteKeith Marshall, now in his third NFL season with the Washington Redskins, and his teammate Rob Kelley, were in a GameStop store when they overheard a young boy talking about wanting an Xbox for his birthday but his parents being unable to afford one.

So Marshall and Kelley decided to do something about it.

Todd Gurley named NFC Offensive Player of the Month

QuoteGurley, now in his third season overall with the Rams and second in Los Angeles, was named the NFC Offensive Player of the Month for September.

In three games for the month, Gurley totaled 241 rushing yards and 4 touchdowns and 140 receiving yards and 2 touchdowns. His 381 total yards from scrimmage lead the conference, and his 6 total touchdowns are tied for the NFL high.

jbcarol

...the Referee who received threats from Kentucky fans

On Tuesday, referee John Higgins filed a lawsuit against Kentucky Sports Radio, its founder Matthew H. Jones and its managing editor Drew Franklin

QuoteNational Association of Sports Officials plans to award its Great Call Award to John Higgins, the referee who became the target of death threats and defamatory social messaging from UK fans. Clearly, those fans did not think Higgins' calls in UK's loss to North Carolina last March were great.

Barry Mano, the founder and president of NASO, explained.

"When people hear Great Call Award, they think we're talking about some call he made during a game," Mano said. "We don't do that."

The award recognizes exemplary behavior, humanitarian efforts and, in general, the setting of a good example, Mano said.

NASO named Higgins the winner of its Great Call Award because of how the referee maintained his composure in the face of abuse...

jbcarol

...Y.A. Tittle

LSU legend Y.A. Tittle, a Pro Football Hall of Fame inductee died on Monday at the age of 90.

QuoteYelberton Abraham Tittle played at LSU from 1944-47 and established himself as the Tigers' all-time leading passer until Bert Jones broke his records in the early 1970s. He led LSU to a Cotton Bowl berth in his junior season. That game was the first to earn the moniker of "Ice Bowl" as LSU and Arkansas dueled to a 0-0 tie during a New Year's Day winter storm in Dallas.

Tittle was the NFL's all-time leading passer at the conclusion of his 17-year pro career in 1964. He was the league's MVP in his next-to-last season at the age of 37 —

jbcarol

...Former UGA athletic director Damon Evans

More than seven years after leaving Georgia in disgrace, Damon Evans is back running a major-conference athletic department. At least temporarily.

QuoteEvans, the associate athletics director at Maryland since November 2014, is now at the helm of the Terrapins' athletic department on an interim basis. Kevin Anderson, the school's athletics director, will take a six-month sabbatical, The Washington Post reported on Monday.

A former Georgia football player, Evans went into athletics administration and worked in Georgia's athletic association. He was promoted to the top spot in 2004 when Vince Dooley was forced out by then-president Michael Adams.

Evans had just received a contract extension in the summer of 2010 when he was arrested on drunk-driving charges in Atlanta. The lurid details that emerged from the arrest contributed to UGA firing Evans a short time later.

"I learned a lot about myself," Evans said.

jbcarol

...Jerrell Powe

With the football part of his life over, Jerrell Powe is working on what's next

QuoteHATTIESBURG — On the road from Malibu to the airport, Jerrell Powe left his lane.

Powe was riding with his friend, fellow NFL player and Mississippi native Eugene Sims, one day this August when the 49ers strength and conditioning coach Ray Wright called. Sims pulled over, and Powe got out of the car. The 49ers wanted to sign Powe.

"What do you want to do?" Wright asked.

Powe thought about it. The back problems. The limp in his right leg. The wrist that doesn't bend. The anxiety attacks. The atrial fibrillation in his heart. The risk of CTE. Did he really want to go to another new city, live out of a hotel until he knew if he made the team, bus to practice until he found a place and live somewhere he simply didn't know?

He then thought of his 2-year-old son, Jayce.

It was a painful path which led Powe to this point. It took three years to become academically eligible at Ole Miss. He fell to the sixth round of the NFL Draft, a slide he attributes to already being 24 years old. He played for three teams in six seasons. There were health scares along the way.

No, he decided. It was time for something else.

"Man, I don't think I want to do it anymore," Powe told Wright.

Powe got in the car, flew to Mississippi and started the rest of his life. Like generations of retired pro athletes before him, Jerrell Powe was now in between two places: what he always wanted and what comes after.

Powe's grandfather always told him, "Everybody has a lane. Stay in your lane."

Powe believes in that advice. He lives by it. He played football because it's what he knew. He worked at the Wayne County jail while he tried to get into school and now is getting a degree in criminal justice. His grandfather, uncle and cousins were truck drivers, and now Powe is starting a trucking business.

People's lives are often dictated by the lane they started in, but how do you change that?

Miss Sue [The Blind Side: Evolution of a Game] is credited with helping Powe navigate through the academic side of Ole Miss.

jbcarol

...Ex-Florida QB Chris Leak

QuoteAfter an incident with a female student in 2015, former Florida quarterback Chris Leak voluntarily surrendered his Florida Educator's Certificate, according to an order filed by the Florida Education Practices Commission on Tuesday, as reported by Ryan DiPentima of the Palm Beach Post.

Leak, who was a football coach and art recovery teacher at Edgewater High School in Orlando, had allegations that he received a massage from a 15-year-old female student and asked her to touch his genitals on Sept. 5, 2015. He allegedly was only wearing a towel during the incident. Leak immediately resigned on the day the police report was filed.

Because Leak surrendered his teaching license voluntarily, he will never have it reinstated and not be allowed to apply for a new one, according to DePentima.

Sexual assault charges against Leak were dropped after the accuser and her guardian said they no longer wanted to press charges.

Leak played at Florida from 2003-06, leading the Gators to a national championship [with Tim Tebow].

jbcarol

...Kentucky basketball's all-time leading scoring guard Keith Bogans

Matt Jones‏ @KySportsRadio 18h18 hours ago

Keith Bogans has been hired as an Assistant Coach for the Knicks G-League team

jbcarol

...Monte Kiffin

AL.com sports‏Verified account @aldotcomSports 16h16 hours ago

Watch @Lane_Kiffin's dad, 77-year-old Monte celebrate with a victory dance in FAU's locker room celebration  https://trib.al/1CMymbO

jbcarol

...Norm Stewart

QuoteUniversity of Missouri System Board of Curators approved the statue of former men's basketball coach Norm Stewart at Tuesday's meeting in Columbia. The statue, funded by private donations, will be unveiled Nov. 10, the day of Missouri's season opener against Iowa State. The statue dedication will be at 1:30 p.m. at the Walsworth Plaza.

The court inside is already named for Stewart as well. In 32 years as the Tigers head coach, he helped Mizzou to 16 NCAA Tournament appearences.

jbcarol

...Former UK player Mark Pope

Genius or idiot? Ex-Cat wonders which he is as new season begins

Former Kentucky player Mark Pope is the third-year coach at Utah Valley

QuotePope played on UK's 1996 national championship team, the program's first title in 18 years.

"Way too long," Pope said. "And I think we all felt like this was something we had to deliver."

That championship team had two epic games against a UMass team coached by Calipari. Marcus Camby led UMass to an early-season victory over UK. The Cats won the all-important rematch in the Final Four.

"We hated — and I'm talking with a passion — John Calipari, right?" Pope said.

Pope also disliked Camby.

Pope is among those who grieve for how his UK coach, Rick Pitino, lost his job as Louisville coach in the wake of an ongoing FBI investigation of college basketball.

"I really don't know much about it," Pope said. "All I know with 'Coach P' is just my relationship with him. And I'll love him till the day I die. You don't have that many people you meet in life that can actually kind of really mutate your DNA to make you a different person from your core. But he did that for me. . . .

"I'm really sad that 'Coach P' isn't coaching right now."

Pope inherited a Utah Valley program that had never won a game in a national postseason tournament. The Wolverines advanced to the semifinals of the College Basketball Invitational last spring.

Utah Valley's final Ratings Percentage Index of 180 was better than two Southeastern Conference teams (LSU at No. 195 and Missouri at No. 253) and in roughly the same neighborhood as Mississippi State (No. 151) and Texas (No. 156).

"We're trying to break into that group of teams that's really competing to get in the NCAA Tournament," Pope said.

Pope's team is playing Duke and UK in a 24-hour span.

jbcarol

...Ron Meyer

Adam Grosbard‏Verified account @AdamGrosbard

Former SMU head coach Ron Meyer dies at the age of 76 http://p.d-news.co/n34v  via @sportsdaydfw

QuoteMeyer spent six seasons as SMU's head coach. He led the Mustangs to the 1981 Southwest Conference championship behind the Pony Express duo of Eric Dickerson and Craig James. He earned the Southwest Conference Coach of the Years honors that season before he left SMU to coach the New England Patriots, the start of a 10-year NFL career that included a six-year stint with the Indianapolis Colts.

Dickerson took to Twitter to mourn Meyer's passing, writing, "Devastated to hear the passing of my coach and great friend Ron Meyer. My mom and I loved Coach Meyer. He was a great man. Coach and his family are in my thoughts and prayers. God bless Coach Meyer!"

jbcarol

...Former Auburn FB Heath Evans

AL.com sports‏Verified account @aldotcomSports

Heath Evans suspended by NFL Network after sexual-harassment allegations

QuoteFormer Auburn fullback Heath Evans is one of three NFL Network on-air personalities who have been suspended from their duties after allegations of sexual harassment from a former NFL Network wardrobe stylist...

NFL Network suspended Evans, Marshall Faulk and Ike Taylor on Monday night in response to a lawsuit filed against NFL Enterprises in Los Angeles Superior Court...

Eric Weinberger, a former executive producer for NFL Network, and another former player, Donovan McNabb, also were mentioned in the complaint.

Evans played at Auburn from 1998 through 2000. He joined the NFL as a third-round draft pick of the Seattle Seahawks and spent 10 seasons as a pro fullback.

jbcarol

...Jesse Williams?

Whatever happened to Jesse Williams?

QuoteJesse Williams started for two Alabama teams that won national championships and entered the NFL as a fifth-round draft pick. He never played in an NFL regular-season game, his pro hopes sidetracked by two knee injuries and ended by cancer.

Williams returned to his native Australia, where he operates a thriving training-and-conditioning facility in Brisbane. But Williams isn't only a trainer and coach; he's also a mentor.

"It would be unjust if I didn't use the obstacles I faced as lessons I could share," Williams told Dave Boling of ESPN. "Cancer took almost everything that I wanted from me and put me in situations I never wanted to be in. But I had to learn from it and grow from it. ...

"I would never have the opportunity to create a huge facility if I hadn't had to face the adversity I have and come out on top. I think I'll be more successful in reaching people. I speak with more conviction in my voice when I talk about adversity because I've had so much of it. It has more weight when I talk to people."

Williams played defensive tackle on Alabama's 2011 and 2012 BCS national-championship teams. He had arthroscopic knee surgery following his senior season. When his problem persisted, he had another surgery in August 2013, causing him to spend his first NFL season with the Seattle Seahawks on the injured reserve.

Williams suffered another knee injury during Seattle's training camp on July 30, 2014, and spent the 2014 season on injured reserve, too.

Ready for another comeback from knee surgery, Williams got a devastating diagnosis after he began urinating blood and suffering debilitating pain. He had papillary renal cell carcinoma type 2, already at stage 3.

On May 28, 2015, Williams had one of his kidneys removed. But he was back at practice with the Seahawks in August and played in all four of Seattle's preseason games. However, the rigor was wearing down the powerful lineman, and he didn't have a clean bill of health. So he missed another season, this time on the Seahawks' non-football injury list.

"Looking back on it, I don't know how smart it was pushing my body so hard," Williams said...

jbcarol

...Landon Collins

New York Giants strong safety Landon Collins has started all 46 games since he joined the NFL as a second-round draft choice from Alabama in 2015. He's battled through two ankle injuries this season to stay in the lineup

Collins will miss New York's regular-season finale against the Washington Redskins on New Year's Eve

QuoteCollins told ESPN's Jordan Raanan that he couldn't remember the last time he'd cried, but he cried when the X-ray in Arizona showed he'd broken his arm and he knew he wouldn't be able to continue playing with his teammates, even though Sunday's 23-0 loss dropped the Giants to 2-13 for the 2017 season.

"I felt it," Collins told reporters about the injury in the locker room after the game. "You know how you sleep on your arm and it goes numb? That's how it felt to me at the beginning. Then I started moving it and something was clicking. So I said, 'Something's wrong in there.'"

But when Arizona got the ball back, Collins returned to the field...

In addition to missing New York's 2017 finale, Collins also should be sidelined for the Pro Bowl on Jan. 28. He earned the NFC starting spot at strong safety in the NFL all-star for the second straight season...

jbcarol

...Marquis Teague

Former Kentucky player Marquis Teague kicked off plane, falsely accused of stealing blanket

QuoteFormer Wildcats guard Marquis Teague, a first-round draft pick by the Chicago Bulls in the 2012 NBA Draft, was removed from an American Airlines flight along with Memphis Hustle teammate Trahson Burrell.

The two had boarded a flight at Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport bound for Sioux Falls, South Dakota on Christmas Eve before a flight attendant accused them of stealing blankets and forced them off the plane, resulting in an argument.

Teague and Burrell, who were headed to their seats in coach, were actually given a pair of blankets from two first-class passengers.

American Airlines spokesman Joshua Freed says an apology was issued to the players, who later flew first class to their destination, although they missed a team holiday dinner.

"We apologize for what occurred on this flight," Freed...

It doesn't seem like this is the end of the story, though, as the players' NBA G-League team and the airline intend to investigate the incident further.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: jbcarol on December 28, 2017, 06:39:12 am
...Marquis Teague

Former Kentucky player Marquis Teague kicked off plane, falsely accused of stealing blanket

I have read where some were trying to play the race card with this. The problem with that is the flight attendant that accused them is Black. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

JHicks3636

jbcarol

...Brock Haman

QuoteOne of two people found dead of apparent drug-related causes in a Scottsdale apartment last week was a former Saguaro High School football standout.

Brock Haman, 24, was found dead Friday alongside Veronica Birk, 25, at a residence...

Investigators believe the deaths were drug related based on evidence located at the scene. They appeared to have been dead for some time.

Haman was a highly recruited football standout from Saguaro High School in Scottsdale. He signed with the University of Arkansas Razorbacks as a linebacker in 2011, but redshirted his freshman season because of injury.

He transferred to Arizona State University with the intention of playing for the Sun Devils, but never saw game action. In fact, he was with the program for less than a month...

jbcarol

...Former Auburn quarterback Jeremy Johnson

AL.com sports
‏Verified account @aldotcomSports
14h14 hours ago

Former Auburn quarterback Jeremy Johnson joins the coaching staff at his alma mater, Carver-Montgomery  https://trib.al/9HbfyVO

QuoteFormer Auburn quarterback Jeremy Johnson is returning to coach at his alma mater.

Johnson joined the coaching staff at Carver-Montgomery, where he will coach quarterbacks under second-year head coach Willie Spears.

Johnson starred at Carver- under former coach Billy Gresham, who stepped down last January. At Carver, Johnson was named the 2013 Alabama Mr. Football by the Alabama Sports Writers Association after he threw for 3,193 yards and 31 touchdowns while rushing for 705 yards and seven scores for the Wolverines. He finished his high school career with more than 8,200 passing yards and was a U.S. Army All-American and four-star recruit before signing with Auburn.

Johnson went undrafted in last year's NFL Draft but tried out for the New York Giants during their rookie minicamp back in May. After he went unsigned, Johnson began training to pursue a career in basketball overseas.

jbcarol

...Trent Richardson's stolen national-championship ring

AL.com sports
19m19 minutes ago

Mystery solved!

Trent Richardson's stolen national-championship ring turns up in Athens: https://trib.al/HGCbAJC

QuoteAs Alabama prepares to play Georgia for the national title for the 2017 season on Monday night, a man from the Bulldogs' hometown says he has Richardson's championship ring from the victory over LSU.

WAGA-TV in Atlanta reported on Friday that Larry Walter of Athens, Georgia, had contacted the television station in the hope it would help him connect with Richardson if he came to town for the big game.

Walter told WAGA that he'd found the ring on the street in Athens while he was working as an Uber driver.

Randy Travis‏Verified account

CHAMPIONSHIP RING MYSTERY SOLVED -- @AlabamaFTBL tells me Trent Richardson had his 2012 ring stolen. An uber driver in Athens (of all places) tells me he found it downtown a few years ago but couldn't get anyone from the school to call back. Making plans now to reunite the two.

jbcarol

QuoteA former Alabama star linebacker was arrested in Tuscaloosa on Friday.

Reuben Foster, who just finished his rookie season with the San Francisco 49ers, was arrested and charged with second-degree possession of marijuana, according to the Tuscaloosa County Sheriff's Office arrest database.

Bond was set at $2,500 for Foster, who was a first-team All-American for the Crimson Tide in 2016 and also won the Butkus Award.

"The San Francisco 49ers organization is aware of the matter involving Reuben Foster," the 49ers said in a statement, "and we are currently gathering all relevant facts."

A first round pick in last year's NFL draft, Foster is now widely viewed as one of the NFL's most promising young defensive players.

jbcarol

...Marlon Humphrey

AL.com sports
10h10 hours ago

The case of a mistaken phone charger resulted in a felony charge for former Alabama football star Marlon Humphrey.

What's next for him? https://trib.al/iBTlhSd

QuoteBaltimore Ravens' cornerback was shocked Thursday morning to learn there was a warrant for his arrest stemming from a Jan. 13 incident on the Alabama campus. Charged with third-degree robbery, Humphrey spent a few hours in Tuscaloosa County Jail after turning himself into police. He was released on $2,500 bond.

What happens from here?

Humphrey's attorney, Paul Patterson, said they hope the district attorney will drop the charges after reviewing the case. If that is denied, it will go to a grand jury to decide if the case continues on to trial.

"The criminal setting is never a quick process," Patterson told AL.com, "but hopefully there will be a dismissal sooner than later."

If it goes to the grand jury, it could be a three-to-six-month process. Patterson was not aware of an initial court date in the matter.

Patterson said they have witnesses that back up Humphrey's side of the story.

It all started with a 2 a.m. Uber ride on Jan. 13 from the Strip near campus to the Hotel Capstone. Humphrey asked to borrow a phone charger...

Humphrey exited the car with the charger and the unnamed driver responded.

"The Uber driver escalated this matter and confronted Marlon and Marlon never threw a punch," Patterson said. "Sadly, the Uber driver was able to get a warrant."

The driver said he was elbowed but it did not cause an injury.

jbcarol

...Cousins

DeMarcus Cousins suffers season-ending injury

QuoteNew Orleans Pelicans All-Star DeMarcus Cousins is expected to miss the rest of the 2017-18 NBA season after suffering a torn Achilles tendon on Friday night, ESPN and NOLA.com have reported.

The former LeFlore High School star sustained the injury to his left leg with only a few seconds remaining in the Pelicans' 115-113 victory over the Houston Rockets.

Cousins had 15 points, 13 rebounds and 11 assists in the game for his second triple-double in New Orleans' past three games. In the other, Cousins had 44 points, 24 rebounds and 10 assists against the Chicago Bulls on Monday night - the 10th game in NBA history in which a player had at least 40 points, 20 rebounds and 10 assists.

Cousins has averaged 25.4 points, 12.9 rebounds, 5.2 assists, 1.6 steals and 1.6 blocks per game this season. He ranks third in rebounding and seventh in scoring in the NBA this season.

Cousins was scheduled to start in the NBA All-Star Game on Feb. 18 in Los Angeles.

jbcarol

...Scarblog

Kevin Scarbinsky

This is no time to bury the lead [sic] so here goes. It's true. I'm leaving. This is my final column for AL.com.

Please hold your applause till the end.

QuoteAll I'm doing is changing jobs, but it's not that simple when you've had one employer your entire career, which began the year Bo went the wrong way. That was 1984. As my internship here ended that December, The Birmingham News hired me full time.

Rides don't last much longer or get any better.

Now I'm leaving one great team as a sports columnist at AL.com and the Alabama Media Group for another as vice president of marketing for Bruno Event Team. It was time for a new challenge.

I think Pat Dye wanted to punch me. Back when you could watch a practice from start to finish, you knew how the Auburn football coach felt about the workout before he opened his mouth. When he was especially ornery, he wouldn't stop to answer questions. He'd keep marching all the way to the coaches' locker room in the coliseum.

In my first year on the beat, I followed him inside, and he snapped, "You got all the damn answers, don't you?" I snapped back, "No, Pat, I just have all these damn questions."

The ultimate Auburn man, SID-turned-AD David Housel, later told me he wasn't sure a smart-mouth kid from Pennsylvania was going to make it as the Auburn beat writer for The News until he heard me call Coach Dye "Pat."

I didn't know any better. That was his name.

Before there were HIPAA laws, I broke them when I tracked down a copy of Bo Jackson's X-rays to confirm that he'd played his final Iron Bowl in 1985, my first, with two cracked ribs. The X-rays proved it. Bo proved himself every game day in football and baseball. Still the best athlete I've covered. Come @ me.

Now for a not-so-humble brag. I can say I was there when Van Tiffin made the Kick, Ricardo Louis caught the Prayer in Jordan-Hare and Chris Davis ran back the Kick Six ... when Alabama's Elliot Washington shot down Arkansas in the first 12-team SEC Tournament in 1992, Auburn's Chris Porter put back that monster dunk en route to the 1999 SEC title and UAB's Mo Finley slayed mighty Kentucky to reach the 2004 Sweet 16.

jbcarol

...Former Florida QB Shane Matthews

Report: Former Florida QB Shane Matthews must start prison sentence by June for involvement in fraud scheme

QuoteShane Matthews reportedly must begin a three-month prison sentence by June as part of his plea agreement, plus pay $439,000 in restitution, for his involvement in a $20 million healthcare fraud conspiracy that placed former Florida player Monty Grow at the center of the controversy.

GatorSports.com's Kevin Brockway reported the terms of the plea agreement for the former Gators quarterback on Monday. Per Brockway, Matthews has until June to start the prison sentence.

jbcarol

jbcarol

... Reuben Foster

9ers linebacker Reuben Foster has been arrested on suspicion of domestic violence

Foster also was booked into Santa Clara County Jail on suspicion of possessing an assault rifle

QuoteThis is the second time since the end of his rookie NFL season that the former Alabama standout has been arrested. On Jan. 12, Foster was arrested in Tuscaloosa and charged with second-degree possession of marijuana.

Foster was arrested in Los Gatos, California, on Sunday.

The 49ers released a statement about Foster's arrest: "The San Francisco 49ers organization is aware of the report regarding Reuben Foster. We take matters of this nature seriously and are gathering all pertinent information."

Foster is having his second straight rocky offseason.

jbcarol

...Mohamed Massaquoi

Mohamed Massaquoi finally opens up after ATV accident that cost him 4 fingers

QuoteMassaquoi, Georgia fans will recall, was one of the best Bulldogs receivers of all time. He caught 158 passes from 2005-08 during one of the school's most prolific offensive spans. That's the sixth-most receptions in school history. He'd haul in 16 touchdown passes with the Bulldogs, including three in one game against Georgia Tech.

"Good hands," they always said of the tall, sleek wideout from Charlotte, N.C. And the NFL agreed, as the Cleveland Browns selected Massaquoi 50th overall in the 2009 draft. He'd catch another 118 passes for 1,745 yards and 7 scores as a pro, before retirement came much too soon.

We learned that Massaquoi was out in the country "joyriding" on ATVs with friends last April when he took a turn too sharply. Somewhere in the course of that spill, his hand ended up in a place it shouldn't be. Massaquoi at first thought he'd just broken the hand. But the blood and the looks on the faces of his friends soon told him it was much worse.

"You can see the panic and fear in everybody," he said.

What followed were months of surgeries and medical procedures. Doctors tried to save the hand and all the fingers. But one by one, Massaquoi revealed, the four fingers had to be removed. Only his thumb remained.

But Massaquoi has fingers again in the way of a robotic prosthetic. He shows it off proudly in the video.

He also has a new attitude.

"I went through denial," Massaquoi said of his initial reaction to the trauma that had befallen him. "I went through fear of what was going to come. This just gives you a perspective of how precious life is, of how fast things can change."

jbcarol

...Vince Sutton

Former Alabama QB dies after years of health issues

QuoteFormer Alabama quarterback Vince Sutton passed away Thursday.

LaGrange (Ga.) Daily News reported Sutton died after years of health problems. Sutton, a quarterback from 1984-88, was in need of a kidney transplant in 2011.

Sutton was the last Alabama true freshman to start at quarterback before Jalen Hurts did it in 2016.

Over four seasons, Sutton played in 21 games. He completed 92 of 215 passing attempts for 1,102 yards for 10 touchdowns with 13 interceptions.

After completing his eligibility at Alabama, Sutton moved home to LaGrange and became a lieutenant at the county jail. He suffered a stroke in 2009. The kidney problems resulted from diabetes that runs in the family.

"You get used to doing things at full speed," Sutton told AL.com in 2011. "Now you can't do 85 percent of the things that you used to do. It's very hard. Sometimes I sit down and think about it. What went wrong? I've always taken care of my body. I never drink. I've never smoked a day in my life. I don't understand how these health conditions come about, but some things are just inherited."

jbcarol

... Billy Gillispie

Kyle Tucker‏ @KyleTucker_SEC

If you missed this @joe_mussatto story on Billy Gillispie's kidney donor, a total stranger who felt a supernatural pull to help a guy she didn't even know had been the coach at Kentucky, don't miss it.

QuoteShe has never met Billy Gillispie. Until a few months ago, Ericka Downey didn't know if he officially went by Billy or William. But as she scrolled through social media one day in mid-December, taking a break from cleaning her closet, she saw the story.

Gillispie needed a kidney.

Sitting on her closet floor, Downey, a stranger to the coach, started the process of becoming his donor.

"It just immediately hit me that I was supposed to do something," Downey told SEC Country. "I call it a tug in my heart. I just felt it right away. I was hesitant to talk to my husband about it in the moment because I can be an impulsive person — spontaneous."

Her husband, Mark Downey, is the men's basketball coach at Northeastern State University in Tahlequah...

jbcarol

...Luke Del Rio

Former Florida QB Luke Del Rio on players getting paid: 'It's happening everywhere'

QuoteThe sport of college basketball saw two bombshell reports drop on Friday that likely will turn the sport on its head.

One of the side effects of these reports was that many began to wonder how clean other college sports are, specifically college football. ESPN college basketball analyst Jay Bilas outright said it's happening in football as well. And former Florida quarterback Luke Del Rio seemed to back up Bilas' thoughts when he took to Twitter on Saturday morning.

Luke Del Rio‏ @Ldelrio12

Luke Del Rio Retweeted Clay Travis

And it's hilarious how shocked people are that it happened.... it's happening everywhere people. In multiple sports. Trust me

JewDchee
‏ @Giudiceee
Feb 24
Replying to @Ldelrio12

Let's not get an investigation started Luke. Hope we didn't pay you...

Adam
🐊
‏ @adame613
23h23 hours ago

Would've been a huge waste of money lol

jbcarol

...Jeremy Johnson

Former Auburn quarterback Jeremy Johnson signs with American Arena League team

QuoteFormer Auburn quarterback Jeremy Johnson has signed with an American Arena League team.

Johnson, who threw for 2,224 yards with 20 touchdowns and 11 interceptions with 210 rushing yards and nine scores in his Auburn career, agreed to terms with the Peach State Cats earlier this week.

Terms of the deal were not released by the club, which begins its eight-game season on March 24 against the Carolina Cowboys at the Dalton Convention Center.

Montgomery native went 7-4 as a starter with 30 career appearances at Auburn. After going undrafted last year Johnson had a minicamp tryout with the Giants and trained to pursue a career in basketball overseas.

Johnson joined the coaching staff at Carver-Montgomery, his alma mater, last month.

jbcarol

...Tim Tebow

Report: Tim Tebow sprains his ankle on a sprinkler head during spring training

Mike Puma
‏Verified account @NYPost_Mets
6h6 hours ago

Tim Tebow with a sprained left ankle ... day to day.

jbcarol

...former Mizzou star Aldon Smith

Michael Carvell
‏ @Michael_Carvell

Report: Arrest warrant out for former Mizzou star Aldon Smith

QuoteAfter reports broke this week of Smith being allegedly involved in a domestic violence incident, the Oakland Raiders released him on Monday afternoon.

But now he has bigger problems. TMZ is reporting Smith now has a warrant out for his arrest following the same alleged domestic violence incident.

According to the report, the alleged victim is his fiancée, who said Smith fled from the scene after the incident allegedly took place. TMZ previously reported that Smith checked into rehab after the alleged incident.

"'The victim suffered non-life-threatening injuries,' according to a police statement provided to the San Jose Mercury-News. 'The suspect fled the scene prior to police arrival and was identified as professional football player Aldon Smith, a 28-year-old Oakland resident.'"

Smith has played for the San Fransisco 49ers and the Oakland Raiders. Despite being a Pro Bowl-level pass rusher, Smith was released by the 49ers because of repeated legal issues.

jbcarol

jbcarol

...Joe Tessitore

Report: Joe Tessitore to become new play-by-play announcer for Monday Night Football

QuoteTessitore has been with ESPN since 2002 but has become popular over the past several years for his call of college football.

The question of who will sit in the booth with Tessitore is still up for discussion, as Peyton Manning turned down the role on Friday in ESPN's attempt to replace Jon Gruden.

jbcarol

...Former Alabama All-American De'Quan Menzie

Former Alabama All-American becomes Mississippi Highway Patrolman

QuoteFormer Alabama All-American De'Quan Menzie said training to become a Highway Patrolman was tougher than training for the NFL.

Menzie was one of the 57 graduating members of the Mississippi Highway Patrol's Trooper School Class 62, which held its commencement last week.

The class, which started with 120 cadets, endured 19 weeks of training to reach graduation.

"It was one of the worst things I've ever been through in my life," Menzie told newsms.fm. "Coming from an NFL background, you would think football is harder, but it's not."

Coming to Alabama from Copiah-Lincoln Community College, Menzie earned first-team All-American recognition from the American Football Coaches Association during his senior season, when he helped the Crimson Tide win the 2011 BCS national championship.

Menzie was a fifth-round selection of the Kansas City Chiefs in the 2012 NFL Draft, but he never played in an NFL regular-season game after spending his rookie season on injured reserve because of a hamstring injury.

jbcarol

...Former LSU basketball star, SEC Network studio analyst Glen Davis

Michael Carvell
‏ @Michael_Carvell

Report: Former LSU basketball star Glen Davis arrested on drug charges

QuoteDavis was arrested in February after 126 grams of marijuana were recovered from Davis' hotel room in Aberdeen, Md., WMAR-TV's Brian Kuebler reported on Friday.

In addition, authorities found a briefcase containing $92,164 "along with a ledger that contained language which is consistent with someone involved in the sale and distribution of narcotics," William Reiber of the Aberdeen Police Department told Kuebler. The ledger included names of people who allegedly owed Davis money, per Kuebler.

According to court records cited by Kuebler, an odor of marijuana was detected from Davis' room on Feb. 7, and the owner of the hotel heard someone say...

Big Baby

jbcarol

...Dave Goff, Sweet 16 guard for 1980 Texas A&M team

Brent Zwerneman
‏ @BrentZwerneman
16h16 hours ago

Dave Goff, Sweet 16 guard for 1980 Texas A&M team, dies of cancer: https://www.chron.com/sports/aggies/article/Dave-Goff-Sweet-16-guard-for-1980-Texas-A-M-12761405.php ... via @houstonchron

QuoteCHARLOTTE, N.C. – Dave Goff's name had come up plenty among old Texas A&M fans in the past day, after the Aggies and North Carolina each won their opening games of the NCAA Tournament to face each other on Sunday in the postseason for the first time since 1980.

In a sad twist to the storyline, Goff, the point guard on the A&M team that defeated the Tar Heels in double overtime in Denton, died Saturday from cancer. Goff co-captained the 1979-80 A&M team that won the Southwest Conference regular season and tournament titles, and then advanced to the Sweet 16 for the first time in school history.

Goff made two free throws with one second remaining in the Aggies' opening-round, two-point victory over Bradley in the NCAA Tournament. He was the first four-year starter in A&M annals.

North Carolina coach Roy Williams, who's won three national titles with the Tar Heels, was a part-time assistant on that 1980 North Carolina squad.

"We had the last shot to win the game in regulation," Williams recalled on Saturday of the loss to the Aggies. "We missed it, and they beat us by 17."

jbcarol

...Walter McCarty

Michael Carvell
‏ @Michael_Carvell

Report: Former Kentucky basketball player to interview for college coaching position

QuoteWalter McCarty is going to interview for the open head coaching vacancy at the University of Evansville.

McCarty played for the Wildcats from 1993-96 and averaged at least 10 points per game in two separate seasons. The New York Knicks then used the No. 19 overall pick in the 1996 NBA draft on McCarty.

He only spent one season with the Knicks before making Boston home for most of his career. His best season came in the 1997-98 when he had 9.6 points and 4.4 assists per game.

McCarty has done a phone interview according to Himmelsbach, but also faces some stiff competition for the job from Calbert Chaney and David Ragland.

jbcarol

...DGB

Report: Former Missouri WR Dorial Green-Beckham tried to pick up drunk friend when arrested for DWI

QuoteDorial Green-Beckham was arrested on suspicion of driving while intoxicated in December, and details have emerged about the incident involving the former Missouri wide receiver.

On Tuesday, it was learned from a report by the Springfield News-Leader's Harrison Keegan that Green-Beckham was picking up a drunk friend during the event, which occurred early on Dec. 30 in Springfield, Mo. Green-Beckham's friend reportedly was being processed for DWI and called the former Tigers star to give him a ride.

When Green-Beckham arrived, according to a probable cause statement used by authorities, a Missouri State Highway Patrol trooper noticed Green-Beckham's eyes were "watery and bloodshot and his speech was slurred." The former Missouri player agreed to a breathalyzer and registered a sample above the legal limit of .08 percent.

The Eagles released him in June.

jbcarol

...Byron Cowart, Auburn 5-star DL

AL.com sports

There were times during his two-plus seasons at Auburn when Byron Cowart was "dreading" practice.

Now, he's found himself again at his new team at Maryland. https://trib.al/BzO2BUT

QuoteThere were times during his two-plus seasons at Auburn when Byron Cowart was "dreading" practice.

After transferring from the program last season, however, the nation's former No. 1 overall recruit has apparently found himself again at Maryland this spring.

"Now, this is my sanctuary," Cowart said, according to the Baltimore Sun. "I come -- I don't even think about what's going on outside. When I'm on the field, I just can have fun. I got my confidence back. I'm feeling good."

Cowart spent two-plus lackluster seasons at Auburn, where he signed in 2015 as part of the Tigers' eighth-ranked recruiting class. Once regarded as the top player in the country coming out of high school, the defensive lineman struggled to live up to expectations on the Plains.

He totaled just six tackles in 12 games as a freshman and followed it up with six more -- with one for a loss -- in 10 games as a sophomore in 2016, when he was surpassed by then-freshman Marlon Davidson on the depth chart and at times struggled to find his way onto the field before an emergency appendectomy cut his season short. Then last season, Cowart moved inside to defensive tackle and appeared in three games with three tackles before leaving the program in September after expressing displeasure over his playing time to head coach Gus Malzahn.

"He came to me and said he wants to quit and pursue other opportunities so we wish him nothing but the best moving forward," Malzahn said Sept. 19.

Cowart, who told AL.com that same day that a health issue with his mother also played into his decision to leave Auburn, finished up classes last semester at a junior college close to his home in Seffner, Fla., before signing with Maryland on National Signing Day in February.

There, Cowart has been reunited with head coach D.J. Durkin, who recruited Cowart to Florida out of high school when he was still an assistant on Will Muschamp's staff, and will have two years of eligibility remaining. Durkin fawned over Cowart to reporters on Tuesday amid the transfer's first spring with the Terps.

"Byron's doing a really good job both in the run and the pass," Durkin said, according to the Sun.