Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Whatever happened to ... ?

Started by jbcarol, June 03, 2012, 06:56:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Thread for updates on what former SEC athletes are doing today.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Whatever happened to the player who broke down after missing key free throws late in the SEC Championship Game against Arkansas and was "optioned" to USC

QuoteRodrick Rhodes laughs when asked what he learned in his first season coaching high school basketball coach at tiny Cordia in Eastern Kentucky.

Rhodes did not work a competitive miracle at Cordia (some 300 students in grades K-12), a school that has not won a game in the 14th Region Tournament in this century.

Alice Whitaker, the director of the Cordia school, says having Rhodes in the Lotts Creek community "has been wonderful. Totally great. He's added a wonderful dimension to our community. He's well-respected and accepted in our community. And I believe he's brought us some much-needed diversity. I believe we've added four or five minority students that wouldn't be here if it weren't for Rodrick."

Rhodes wound up serving a four-game suspension this season after getting thrown out of two different games.

"In one of them, our 6-foot-5 kid (Chris Hudson) was up in the air and got clotheslined," Rhodes said. "I went out on the court trying to protect my player and I guess in the opinion of the (referees) I went too far."

The other case where he got tossed, a woman who had asked him to sign an autograph for her grandson before the game, asked him again and said she would not be able to wait until after the contest ended.

"I'm coaching and I want to be focused (on the game) but I didn't want to say no, so I was signing that," Rhodes said. "Well, (while) I'm doing that, they started the game back up and I got teed up again for being up. It was crazy."

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

June 03, 2012, 03:34:48 pm #2 Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 03:46:27 pm by jbcarol
Whatever happened to the PG who led Ole Miss to their first ever NCAA tournament appearance and first SEC basketball tournament championship?

Sean Tuohy played for his father Skeets at Isidore Newman in New Orleans. After the coach suffered a stroke, Tuohy's tuition was still paid but his family experienced hard times. Tuohy learned that the free or reduced lunch program did not extend to private schools.

Tuohy saw basketball as his education and his way out. His experience at Ole Miss while accomplished was miserable during Coach Bob Weltlich's reign of terror.

Today, Tuohy is part of the broadcast team for the Memphis Grizzlies and is a franchise owner for nearly 100 restaurants in the Yum! brands family. He also serves as as an assistant coach specializing in encouragement and life counseling at Briarcrest near Memphis. Tuohy has set up lunch accounts for needy student-athletes due to his personal experience that when you are focused on food your energy is drained from studies and athletic achievement.

Still the SEC's all-time leader in assists, Sean Tuohy's greatest assists have come during his life after basketball.

jbcarol

Johnny Neumann wants to pack up his regrets, get help for daughter

QuoteHis 1970-71 Ole Miss season is still one about which the folks in Oxford rave. Neumann led the country with a scoring average of 40.1 points per game, was a member of several All-America teams and was named the Southeastern Conference's player of the year.

Of the school's top 20 single-game scoring performances, Neumann owns 12.

On Jan. 30, 1971, in a 113-90 win over LSU, Neumann scored 63, an Ole Miss record that still stands.

jbcarol

Parsons said he felt like he benefited from staying four years at UF

Quote"Learning all of these things, how hard to compete, what it takes to win, gave me an advantage over these guys that stayed only one or two years," Parsons said. "I was mature, ready to play right away and I think that showed because I was able to contribute right away."

At Florida, Parsons was a late bloomer. He learned in his first two seasons at UF that scoring wasn't everything and defense was just as important. By his senior year, Parsons became the first player in Florida history to earn Southeastern Conference player of the year...

Parsons has become a new face of the Rockets franchise. He was hand-picked by general manager Daryl Morey to represent the Rockets in the 2012 NBA Draft Lottery show. Dressed in a gray suit, Parsons was on TV with various GMs, sons of executives and other NBA players in hopes of bringing their franchises some luck.

A telecommunications major at UF, Parsons also was interested in going behind the scenes to see how the lottery show was put together.

jbcarol

Edmonton Eskimos added another pair of legs to their quarterback stable, announcing the signing of Ole Miss product Jeremiah Masoli... The five-foot-10, 221-pound pivot of Polynesian descent is another dual threat in a unit that has been re-mobilizing since trading away Ricky Ray last December in an effort to get away from the pocket passing of the past. [This is not Nate Allen.]

QuoteMasoli comes with past of his own, which includes pleading guilty to a well-publicized robbery at a frat house, as well as marijuana possession that sent him packing from the University of Oregon — where he was a potential Heisman trophy candidate and the Ducks were a national championship contender.

He went on to spend the 2011 NFL pre-season with the San Francisco 49ers before joining the UFL's Omaha Nighthawks for their last three games of the season where he threw for more than 800 yards.

jbcarol

Florida QB Doug Johnson

Quote9th annual Doug Johnson's Reeling For Kids Tournament took place over the weekend.

Although the former UF starting quarterback and pro football player has been active with his Reeling For Kids charity for nearly a decade, since his retirement from the NFL, he's been able to devote a larger chunk of time to providing for the community.

The Reeling For Kids Tournament, whose proceeds benefit The Boys and Girls Club of Alachua County, also gives Johnson the opportunity to support a cause he's passionate about.

jbcarol

Sonny Collins is the leading rusher in the brief yet undistinguished history of Kentucky football. Yesterday, Collins won the 60-64 age group 100 meter dash in the Bluegrass State Games at Fern Creek in 13.08. In his Jackson Pollack inspired tights, Collins was screaming and complaining about not being set in the blocks when the gun was fired. Things have not changed much for Collins.

jbcarol

Former Vol sprinter Justin Gatlin wants to restore image

QuoteSo much has transpired for Gatlin since the '04 trials, when he finished second to Maurice Greene and knocked off a college star named Tyson Gay to make the U.S. squad.

A month later, Gatlin captured the 100-meter crown in Athens. A year later, he was a world champion.

Then came his swift fall from grace.

Gatlin tested positive for excessive testosterone, "Hi-T", in 2006, leading to a four-year ban and preventing him from defending his title in Beijing.

His biggest threats will be Olympic bronze medalist Walter Dix along with a familiar face in Gay, now a seasoned veteran with a surgically repaired hip. Up for grabs will be three spots for London.

For Gatlin, there's more at stake. This is another chance to restore his tarnished career.

jbcarol

Former Auburn defensive lineman Antonio Coleman will host his football camp for teen probationers at Mobile's Strickland Youth Center again this weekend. It's the third straight year he has conducted the camp for Mobile's at-risk teens.

QuoteFootball is the hook that entices the kids to attend, and Coleman -- who now plays for the Arizona Cardinals -- tries to teach them how to turn their lives around.

Coleman endured the suicide of his brother and father figure, Anthony, who killed two people before turning the gun on himself in 2001, according to Press-Register archives.

"To have someone who walked the same streets," said Circuit Judge Edmond Naman, referring to Coleman, "and lived the same kind of life and has been a success and has become a success -- not only as a football player, but as a person and as a man -- it's a strong message and one that they can relate to."

Three other NFL players from Coastal Alabama -- Prichard's Sen'Derrick Marks, Mobile's Cap'n Munnerlyn, and Thomasville's Anthony Madison -- will also conduct camps this summer.

Marks' camp is also set for Saturday at Vigor High at a cost of $10 per camper.

husker71

I wonder where Gerald Glass is.  Murphy brought him over with him from Delta State and he immediatley took over the SEC .  He was one of those 6'4" guys who is listed at 6'6" and was so strong inside and yet could float outside if needed.  One of my favorite non razorback players

jbcarol

Gerald Glass is the men's basketball coach at his alma mater Amanda Elzy in Greenwood. They won the Mississippi Class 4A state championship in '11-12.

He was honored by MS House Concurrent Resolution 97 - 2012 Regular Session which gives a bio of accomplishments and brief update on what he is doing today.

jbcarol

When Georgia basketball player D.A. Layne left school early for the NBA draft 11 years ago, he made a promise to two important people in his life.

"I promised my mother and my grandmother that I'd eventually get my degree," Layne said Thursday.

QuoteLayne, now 33, said he'll celebrate "one of the proudest moments of my life" Sunday when he receives a bachelor's degree in psychology from the University of Phoenix during the school's Atlanta campus commencement ceremony at Gwinnett Arena.

Layne, a former Wheeler High standout, played at Georgia from the 1998-99 through 2000-01 seasons. He averaged 18.3 points per game as a sophomore and 16.8 as a junior, leading the Bulldogs in scoring both seasons. He was named first-team All-SEC as a junior. He still ranks 10th on Georgia's all-time scoring list with 1,451 points.

The 6-0 shooting guard  opted to leave UGA after his junior season for the NBA draft. He was not drafted and never hooked on with an NBA team despite looks from the Grizzlies and the Hawks.

For about five years, he played basketball overseas on pro teams in Colombia, Spain, Venezuela and China.

"After I finished playing, my stepfather and I started an auto-body shop, doing collision and body work in the Marietta area," Layne said. "I've been doing that for seven-eight years."

He and his wife live in the Ellenwood area.

Layne hopes his college degree will help him launch a career as a sports agent representing NBA players.

He said he doesn't regret his decision to enter the NBA draft early but hopes his decision to earn a degree years later will  be an inspiration to others in similar situations.

jbcarol

Three months ago, Bobby Humphrey started work at Bryant Bank. Fitting that the former Crimson Tide running back found work with the company started by Paul Bryant Jr.

QuoteBobby, now in his mid-40s, has settled into life here in a suburb southwest of Birmingham. He has a beautiful wife and five children. He runs a track and field training center on the side and talks glowingly of all his children's athleticism.

Bobby's genes mixed well with those of his wife, Barbara, who was a track star at the University of Alabama at Birmingham and set the 400-meter record that stands today.

Under the bright lights and the burden of weighty paychecks, something changed in Bobby. The sure-handed ball carrier began fumbling his life away off the field. After a successful rookie campaign, his attitude changed. In 1989 he was arrested for driving under the influence, and two years later he held himself out of camp for 14 weeks while negotiating a new contract. A year later, he was traded to the Miami Dolphins.

On Jan. 31, 1993, Bobby was arrested in Columbus, Ga., after police responded to a window being broken on the fourth story of the Hilton hotel. Bobby and former UA teammate Vantreise Davis had fought and shattered the window. When police entered the hotel room, they found cocaine laid out on a table. Nine days later, Bobby was shot in the leg after an altercation in Alabaster, Ala.

The Dolphins brought him back for another season, but he was never the same. By 1994, at age 26, he was out of the league, never to return.

As Bobby tells it, he folded when the moment of truth came.

"It could be drugs, alcohol, cheating on a test -- I teach my kids it's OK to say no," Bobby said. "I wasn't able to do that."

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

jbcarol

Former Ole Miss and NFL football player Derrick Burgess settled a lawsuit with his neighbors in Lafayette County

Burgess was accused of allowing his "10 to 15 pit bulls to run wild in the neighborhood".

The dogs were accused of killing chickens and baby kittens and being aggressive toward the children.

Burgess installed an underground fence and collar system to keep the dogs on his property. The dogs will receive a "slight correction" if they attempt to stray from the Burgess yard.

jbcarol

Former Bama Coach Ray Perkins Back in the Game

QuoteELLISVILLE, Miss. (AP) -- Ray Perkins leans back in his chair, enthusiastically talking football in his Mississippi office at tiny Jones County Junior College.

It's been 20 years since he was a head coach -- and more than 10 years since he was a full-time coach of any kind.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Herschel Walker turned 50 years old on March 2.

QuoteAside from his 15-year pro career for five teams in two leagues, he has been an Olympic bobsledder, danced in a ballet and appeared for one season on NBC's "Celebrity Apprentice."

He still does 2,000 situps and 1,000 pushups before sunrise, and may have the best body of any 50-year-old on the planet. He continues to train at the Dallas Cowboys' complex (one of his pro stops) and said he was recently timed running a sub 4.4 40-yard dash.

Herschel never quits moving. Last week in Memphis, he spoke at a Salvation Army banquet, delivering a 38-minute non-stop speech in which he barely stopped to take a breath.

jbcarol

Mississippi State's all-time basketball scoring leader, Jeff Malone will be inducted into the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame after garnering similar honors at Mississippi State and in his home state of Georgia in recent years.

QuoteSuccess didn't come easy during Malone's days at MSU, where the Bulldogs attempted to bridge the talent gap against other SEC teams by playing a slow-down style (before the shot clock). The Bulldogs once held the ball for 11 minutes against Vanderbilt in 1982 before Boyd called a timeout and drew up a play for his star.
Malone, of course, hit the shot and MSU won 33-31 in Nashville. The Vandy fans were livid, former teammate Norwood said.

The Bulldogs sped up their offense in Malone's senior season, when he averaged a career-best 26.8 points, but the team never reached the postseason in his tenure.

When he needs a reminder of his playing days, Malone pulls out a book authored by Michael Jordan, who once considered Malone one of the toughest players he ever had to guard. The former 6-foot-4 shooting guard still shares the story with his youth league basketball teams in Chandler, Ariz.

"I turn straight to that page," Malone said. "They always love that, and I tell them: You've got to go out and work so you can get your name in some book."

"When you play the game you never play it for any individual accolade," said Malone, whose only regret is that his MSU teams never reached the postseason. "But every athlete wants to be appreciated. I have a lot of memories there, and now my kids and family and grandkids can see it forever."

jbcarol

Former Tennessee point guard (2003-06) and current NBA veteran C.J. Watson is the subject of a new online documentary titled "Off The Court With C.J. Watson: A Quiet Storm in Vegas," released Monday.

QuoteThe exclusive documentary tells the story of Watson's journey to the NBA, while also highlighting his personal life such as family, friends and growing up in a religious environment.

"One of the things not included in the documentary was a story from when C.J., my videographer and I went to lunch at Capriotti's. They (brought out so much food), it seemed like the entire menu. Instead of throwing away our leftovers, C.J. gave the sandwiches to a homeless man sitting outside in the parking lot."

jbcarol

Tim Castille, a former Alabama fullback (2003-06), is back at his alma mater after three seasons in the NFL. He is the son of former Alabama All-American Jeremiah Castille, who went on to play for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Denver Broncos.

QuoteA former star at Briarwood Christian, Tim Castille played in 44 games at Alabama. He ran 161 times for 533 yards and 21 touchdowns. In 2007, he signed as an undrafted free agent with the Arizona Cardinals and later played two seasons with the Kansas City Chiefs. In his three pro seasons, he played in 31 games, four as a starter.

Alabama coach Nick Saban's support staff has expanded to nine "analysts." That's up from six in 2011, three in 2010 and none before then.

jbcarol

jbcarol

After watching Galen Rupp become the first US runner to medal in the 10,000 meters since 1964, I thought of a UK alum and the runner who held the US record for 15 years, Mark Nenow.

Only four U.S. runners have bettered Nenow's time — including Chris Solinsky (26:59.60) and Galen Rupp (27:10.4) last year...

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: jbcarol on June 03, 2012, 03:34:48 pm
Whatever happened to the PG who led Ole Miss to their first ever NCAA tournament appearance and first SEC basketball tournament championship?

Sean Tuohy played for his father Skeets at Isidore Newman in New Orleans. After the coach suffered a stroke, Tuohy's tuition was still paid but his family experienced hard times. Tuohy learned that the free or reduced lunch program did not extend to private schools.

Tuohy saw basketball as his education and his way out. His experience at Ole Miss while accomplished was miserable during Coach Bob Weltlich's reign of terror.

Today, Tuohy is part of the broadcast team for the Memphis Grizzlies and is a franchise owner for nearly 100 restaurants in the Yum! brands family. He also serves as as an assistant coach specializing in encouragement and life counseling at Briarcrest near Memphis. Tuohy has set up lunch accounts for needy student-athletes due to his personal experience that when you are focused on food your energy is drained from studies and athletic achievement.

Still the SEC's all-time leader in assists, Sean Tuohy's greatest assists have come during his life after basketball.

That Yum brand is Taco Bell. He also is on the local sport radio channel 56 as a regular guest. He cracked me up one time a while back when talking about something and then said "but what do I know. I sell taco's for a living". Another time he admitted he hadn't tasted a new product Taco Bell was selling when he was asked how was it. Seems like a nice guy.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jbcarol

August 09, 2012, 11:33:59 am #33 Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 11:36:26 am by jbcarol
"I guess 'Fab Five' was taken by some basketball team or something."
McKayla Maroney

Chris Littman, Sporting News

Whatever happened to the SEC's Fabulous Five?

Kentucky's NCAA champions in 1947-48 were nicknamed The Fabulous Five. They joined with AAU champs The Phillip's Oilers from Bartlettsville featuring Bob Kurland to help the USA win gold medals in the London Olympics.  Four returned in '48-49 to win back-to-back NCAA championships.

Lead guard Ralph Beard played two NBA seasons for the Indianapolis Olympians before being banned for life due to a point shaving scandal in New York City. Kentucky would be levied the death penalty for their '52-53 season. He died in 2007.

Center Alex Groza also played for the Olympians and was also banned for life from the NBA. After coaching small college ball in Louisville, Groza became associated with the ABA. He died in 1995.

Cliff Barker's B-17 was shot down over Germany and he spent 16 months as a POW. His stalag was given a basketball but no hoop. Barker became the passing specialist for the UK team upon returning from service. Barker was player-coach for the Olympians team. While not implicated in the point shaving scandal, he wrapped up his NBA career in the early-50s. He coached and taught in high school and died in 1998.

Guard Kenneth Rollins played for the Chicago Stags and Celtics in the NBA.

Wallace Jones was an All-American for both Adolph Rupp and Bear Bryant. He played with the Olympians for four seasons and then was elected sheriff of Fayette County. He lost a run for the US House in 1956.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Charles Hurt left UK with a smile on face, thank-you in heart but he has never been back to a game

QuoteHe played in 124 games at Kentucky and shot a remarkable 59.3 percent from the field, the best mark ever at the time at UK when his playing career ended in 1983.

However, even though he scored 786 points, grabbed 496 rebounds and had 104 assists playing for coach Joe B. Hall, Charles Hurt has never been back to a game in Rupp Arena since leaving UK.

Hurt, a Shelby County native now living in Louisville, enlisted in the U.S. Army in 1987 and became a career military man. He lived in Germany, Kuwait and Korea during his tour and became an information systems chief.

Hurt, 51, is now retired and ready to embark on a new career as an assistant basketball coach at Shelby County under first-year coach Jeff Couch.

"They approached me and I had thought about something like this for quite a while. The timing was never right when I was approached before. But now it is. My daughter is a senior in high school, I am back in Kentucky and it seemed like a good way to give back. Basically, it's where I got my start and that community was great to me," he said.

Jackrabbit Hog

jb will be posting this in a couple of years:

Whatever happened to former LSU defensive back, punt returner and Heisman Trophy finalist Tyrann Mathieu? 

After being kicked off the LSU team for smoking, snorting, shooting up and selling illegal drugs, Mathieu transferred to Southern University, where he starred until mid-season.  On a tip from New Orleans police, Mathieu was arrested for distributing crack cocaine at a local junior high school and pled guilty to felony drug charges.  He is now serving a 12 year sentence in a federal penitentiary.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

jbcarol

jbcarol

... former Mississippi State basketball captain and head coach Joe Dan Gold

QuoteFormer Mississippi State basketball player and coach Joe Dan Gold died in April 2011 after a lengthy illness. He was 68.

Gold, a Benton, Ky., native, averaged 12.3 points and 7.8 rebounds per game from 1961 to 1963 as the Bulldogs won or shared three Southeastern Conference titles. During his career, Mississippi State had a 65-13 overall record, including 36-6 in SEC play.

The 6-foot-5 Gold was a team captain as a senior, leading the Bulldogs to their first NCAA tournament appearance in 1963, where they lost to Loyola of Chicago 61-51 in the first round. It was the first game Mississippi State played against black players.

The Bulldogs, who were coached by Babe McCarthy, had to sneak out of the state for the game because of an unwritten rule that state universities would not play integrated teams. Then-MSU president Dr. Dean Wallace Colvard also helped the Bulldogs make the trip, defying Gov. Ross Barnett and a court injunction by the Mississippi legislature.

Gold coached at Mississippi State from 1965 to 1970, with a 51-74 record in five seasons.

Gold also coached at Paducah Community College and Mercer in the 1970s before going into high school administration in Kentucky.

Gold was elected into Mississippi State's Athletic Hall of Fame in 1996, and was recognized as an SEC legend in 2003.

jbcarol

jbcarol

It wasn't in the SEC but the Michael Clarke Duncan was a walk-on basketball player at Alcorn St.

Quote"He had that deep voice," Coach Whitney said. "But that could fool people because he was such a nice guy."

"And he was a pretty good player," he added. "He was just tough. He'd knock guys around. It's really sad that he's gone at such a young age."

jbcarol

Former Vol Scott Wells began his career as the fifth from last player picked in the 2004 NFL draft and is now the third-highest paid center in the game. Scott parlayed a Super Bowl ring he won two years ago and Pro Bowl honors he earned last year into a four-year, $24 million free agent contract with the Rams.

QuoteYou surely won't find someone celebrating his most lucrative payday ever by going to Uganda as Scott did with his wife Julie this past summer and adopting three children --  Caroline (5), Elijah (3) and R.J. (2). That trio joins the couple's three biological children, Jackson (8 ), Lola (5) and Kingston (2).

If you're scoring at home, that's four boys and two girls. The Scott and Julie Bunch, indeed.

"This is a new chapter in our lives," says Scott, 31. "We closed a chapter of our lives in Green Bay and we're opening a new chapter in St. Louis with three new additions to our family. We honestly feel it's the path God sent us on and we're doing our best to follow it."

Again, it's not an easy path or a convenient course. But if you trace Scott back to his high school days, he never blinks when things get difficult...

jbcarol

CBS42 News is reporting that the brother of Buffalo Bills tackle Marcell Dareus was one of the victims in a Sunday triple homicide in Pelham

QuoteSimeon Gilmore, the 19-year-old brother of Dareus, died from gunshot wounds at a Pelham home, as did Casey Cumberland and Joshua Smith, both aged 22. Jon Staggs, age 20, has been charged with three counts of capital murder, and is being held in Shelby County prison without bond.

Dareus, a former defensive tackle with the University of Alabama, is reportedly in transit back to Birmingham. The SEC's sacks leader in 2009 and the BCS Championship Defensive MVP in 2010, he was the third pick in the 2011 NFL draft. In his rookie season, he played in all 16 games and notched 5.5 sacks. He recorded one tackle last weekend in a loss to the Jets.

jbcarol

ESPNU Documentary about former Mississippi State coach Croom set to air Sept. 25

Quote"Croom," directed by Johnson McKelvy, was produced this summer as part of the SEC's "Storied" series. The documentary chronicles the preacher's son growing up during the civil rights era in 1960s Tuscaloosa before he became an All-America center under coach Paul "Bear" Bryant at Alabama.

The documentary provides a behind-the-scenes look at Croom's disappointment when Alabama bypassed him for its coaching job in May of 2003 and his hesitation when then-athletic director Larry Templeton approached him about the job at Mississippi State.

Regionally, he's known as a coach who instilled accountability and discipline into a program shadowed by potential NCAA penalties and two years of probation after the retirement of 13-year coach Jackie Sherrill.

Croom recalls his first encounter with MSU players, when he told them: "If any of you in here are receiving anything above your scholarship, end it right now."

jbcarol

Bumpy year has not discouraged Former UK lead guard Anthony Epps, who hopes to help daughter win state title before she heads to UK to play

Quote"It has been bumpy, but a great learning experience," said Epps, the starting point guard on Kentucky's 1996 national championship team. "I had a little trouble with the law (DUI arrest). But I have bounced back and am moving forward.

"I lost my mom in May, and that's been tough. Hopefully now that I have my (college) degree, I will be getting college coaching job as an assistant. It has always been my dream to coach at a higher level. I love the high school game, but college is what is really for me."

Epps has not yet pursued any college opportunities since he resigned as head boys basketball coach at Marion County, his alma mater, following the DUI charge. He's an assistant football coach as well as an assistant girls basketball coach at Marion this season.

"I wanted to make sure I got my degree work done before I tried to network," Epps said.

He finished his college degree in business management recently at Mid-Continent University. It took him almost two years to complete the online course work.

"I also won a state championship at Marion County. I will be on the bench with the team this year and it would be great to play in one and win state as a coach and to do it with my daughter and having her win a championship like I did would just be tremendous."

How good is his daughter?

"She has always been blessed with athletic ability even when she was little. As the years have gone on, she has got better. A lot of the credit goes to guys in the community. They would not take easy on her. They beat up, she cried and she came back for more. Now she has blossomed into a special player," Epps said.

Epps said like most fans, former players lost touch with the program during the two years Billy Gillispie was the head coach when they did not feel wanted on campus or around the program.

"During the Gillispie years it was all about him. He did not understand the magnitude of Kentucky basketball and did not care," Epps said. "Nobody was welcomed back and not a lot of guys went back..."

jbcarol

Not only did Peyton Manning fail to beat Florida in his four-year career at Tennessee. He might have inadvertently helped the Gators beat UT nine years after he played his last college game.

Manning's tips at passing camp may have helped Chris Leak whip Vols.

QuoteUrban Meyer and his offensive coordinator Dan Mullen, called Archie Manning, Peyton's father, with specific instructions on how to help their quarterback, according to Glier.

"Each of the college guys gets a chance to spend a session with Eli (Manning) or Peyton," Glier said. "But whenever he got around Peyton, (Leak) would fire a question. Archie said, 'That kid had so many questions.' "

Leak's goal was to become proficient at calling three plays in the huddle, then selecting one at the line of scrimmage, Glier said.

"I was able to handle a lot of pre-snap and post-snap reads (after the camp)," Leak told Glier. "And Coach Meyer let me start calling three plays in the huddle."

Glier said he asked Leak if he thought people would be angry if they knew a Tennessee quarterback helped a Florida quarterback.

"I don't know if they (would be) or not," Leak told Glier.

Leak currently does sports radio talk.

jbcarol

James Owens, the first black football player at Auburn needs a new heart.

QuoteJames Owens says he is living day to day and depending on his wife of 38 years, Gloria, as he awaits word on whether he can be put back on the heart transplant list.

He is a fine person, a fine father. He was an outstanding football player," said teammate Terry Henley. "And he's an icon in the Auburn family.

"No one in Auburn history has ever been more courageous or had more heart than James Owens."

Now the man with the big heart needs a new one.

After spending weeks at UAB Hospital, preparing and waiting for a heart transplant before the one he was born with gives out, Owens was taken off the list because of numerous medical conditions that don't match with the protocol needed to receive a new organ.

His doctor back in Opelika hasn't given up hope. Emory University Hospital in Atlanta is considering his case. UAB continues to explore a solution.

More important, Owens hasn't given up hope.

Honestly, he has no choice. Gloria Owens has put up with James for 38 years of marriage, and she's not ready to let her husband leave without a good fight.

"Without her, I would have given up a while ago," James Owens said. "She's been my leaning post. I can't express what she means."

He trails off, as emotions overcome him for a moment...

jbcarol

James Owens, the school's first black football player, leaves a lasting legacy at Auburn with Courage Award named for him

QuoteHis parents hugged him, got in the car and drove away.

And then James Owens felt it, that inescapable, gnawing anxiety that starts in the middle of a person's stomach and rises, up through the chest and out to the shoulders.

Fear. All at once, Owens realized what he was doing.

The first black football player at Auburn, Owens would be the only African-American on the practice field...

Back when James Owens became the first black man to play football at Auburn, freshmen weren't allowed to play right away. He spent his first year practicing, never realizing what it meant.

Not until the first game of his sophomore season.

Owens emerged from the locker room at Jordan-Hare in front of section upon section of wooden bleachers, filled with African-Americans, cheering, calling his name in a way he'd never experienced.

"I realized, it's no longer about you. It's about all these that are believing in you, hoping in you," Owens said. "This thing that I'm doing is not for me to get to the next level, but for others to have an opportunity."

jbcarol

Former Florida Gator Tim Tebow has never shied away from a question, no matter how uncomfortable it may be for other people.

QuoteOn Showtime's Inside the NFL, former New York Giants Hall of Famer Lawrence Taylor gave the former Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback some unsolicited advice.

During a segment called "Dear Insiders" -- often a tongue-in-cheek bit near the show's end -- host James Brown asked Taylor a made-up question which read: "(Dear Lawrence,) Like you, I'm a clean-living, hard-hitting, good ol' southern boy trying to make it in The Big Apple. What was the secret to your success? Thanks in advance, (signed) Tim from the Meadowlands."

"I would say he would have to go to church, Temple -- wherever he goes -- find a nice girl," said Taylor, who added some more colorful language, according to USA Today. "I mean marry her if he has to ... but he's got to get some of that pressure off."

Brown and co-hosts Phil Simms and Cris Collinsworth obviously had mixed reactions.