Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

News on recruiting the all-important SEC defensive linemen

Started by jbcarol, May 08, 2012, 12:06:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

UGA will be one of the five official visits for the nation's No. 1 overall prospect from the junior college ranks.

Toby Johnson is a 6-foot-5, 310-pound defensive tackle from Hutchinson Community College in Kansas. He is rated as the country's No. 1 JC player by 247sports.com, plans to graduate in December, and would provide an instant boost to a UGA defense which will be depleted by graduation next year.

"Yes, I know for a fact that Georgia is going to get an official visit," Johnson told the AJC.

"I definitely feel good about Georgia. They are one of my top schools. I've got a real good relationship with coach Mark Richt. I feel like he's a player's coach."

QuoteWhat's next for Johnson? He has scheduled an official visit to Ole Miss for Nov. 24. He hasn't set up any other trips yet but said he was being recruited the hardest by UGA, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Miami and Ole Miss.

Toby Johnson also clarified to the AJC that he was not part of any rumored "package deal" to Tennessee. The former assistant head coach at Hutchinson, Brandon Staley, joined Tennessee's football staff last March, one month after another 5-star prospect from the junior college, Cordarrelle Patterson, signed with the Volunteers. Up until the final hours before signing day, nearly every recruiting analyst was predicting for Patterson to UGA.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Keith Niebuhr ‏@Niebuhr247
Top247 DT Kelsey Griffin says he's all #Gamecocks ... But will he visit other schools???

jbcarol

Keith Niebuhr ‏@Niebuhr247
Per a teammate, #TAMU has offered 2014 DT Chris Williams of Sandy Creek, Ga

jbcarol

How big of a priority is JC defensive tackle Toby Johnson for UGA?

With UGA off last weekend, the Bulldogs dispatched recruiting coordinator Rodney Garner to Kansas to personally observe Johnson play for Hutchinson junior college in the 75-0 win over Independence.

QuoteJohnson is a former standout at Atlanta's Banneker High School, and he's currently ranked as the No. 1 overall prospect out of the junior college ranks by 247sports.com.

The 6-foot-5, 310-pounder plans to take all five official visits before he picks a college by the end of December. He's already toured Oklahoma, and has agreed to visit UGA in mid-December. Johnson said Garner has told him that he's "definitely No. 1 on Georgia's board at defensive tackle."

jbcarol

Mamas going to press with feelings on where their boy will play in the fall.

QuoteThe mother of Montravius Adams, the nation's No. 2-ranked football prospect by 247sports, finally visited UGA with her 5-star son this past weekend.

And the Bulldogs made quite the impression.

Montravius' mother, Debbie Young, liked it so much that she told the AJC on Sunday night that she ranked the UGA visit ahead of her other college trips, once to Florida and twice to Auburn.

That's a pretty big deal because the 6-foot-4, 310-pound defensive tackle from Dooly County High School has made it very clear that his mother will play a big role in making his college decision.

"I enjoyed Georgia better than the other two places I've been; I enjoyed Georgia real good because ... I don't know ... they just make me feel like family, I guess," Young said.

jbcarol

Muschamp has let it be known that Florida true freshman JaFar Mann will transfer. "He and I agreed that it's time for him to move on."

The Stone Mountain DT was 5.6-rated. Mann also has experience at offensive guard.

jbcarol

Got word from LSU fan that NC DT Greg Gilmore has given a verbal to LSU choosing them over Florida.

jbcarol

Reports that top DT Montravius Adams made an unofficial visit to Clemson with his mother.

jbcarol

In the midst of coaching uncertainty:

Vols DT verbal Ben Bradley is scheduled to visit Nebraska this weekend with Hutchinson CC teammate and DT Toby Johnson who has the Vols, UGa, Ole Miss and State on his list.

This is of interest to us and the entire SEC.  Tulsa World reports that OU just lost a verbal commit to A&M, 4 star D tackle Justin Manning, brother of former OU D tackle Demarcus Granger.  Manning was ranked amoung the top 10 prospects in Texas and #6 D Tackle Nationally.  Goes on to say the A&M already has commits from 3 other 4 star D tackles in this recruiting class.  This makes A&M 4 commits at D tackle in one class and for example, OU now has none, zero.  Thats how difficult it is to get D linemen and A&M has 4 on the hook, all 4 stars.  A great team like OU currently has none.  Manning would likely have been the centerpiece of OU class.  Just Sayin.  Bielema, you reading this???

Another story:  Calvin Barnett, the D lineman, once an Arkansas commit was named the
newcomer of the year in the Big 12.  For those that might not know, he signed from Jr College with OSU.

Hogfaniam

All great architects know the importance of a superior foundation. 
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

MiHogsMi

Quote from: 12247 on December 07, 2012, 07:44:16 am
This is of interest to us and the entire SEC.  Tulsa World reports that OU just lost a verbal commit to A&M, 4 star D tackle Justin Manning, brother of former OU D tackle Demarcus Granger.  Manning was ranked amoung the top 10 prospects in Texas and #6 D Tackle Nationally.  Goes on to say the A&M already has commits from 3 other 4 star D tackles in this recruiting class.  This makes A&M 4 commits at D tackle in one class and for example, OU now has none, zero.  Thats how difficult it is to get D linemen and A&M has 4 on the hook, all 4 stars.  A great team like OU currently has none.  Manning would likely have been the centerpiece of OU class.  Just Sayin.  Bielema, you reading this???

Another story:  Calvin Barnett, the D lineman, once an Arkansas commit was named the
newcomer of the year in the Big 12.  For those that might not know, he signed from Jr College with OSU.

No possible.  The Hogville dummies said there would be no advantage to Texas A & M in recruiting because they entered the SEC.  In fact,  their joing the SEC would help Arkansas according to the Hogville dummies so expect all of them to recommit from A & M any day now.  After all the Hogville dummies can cite their win loss record from the 1980's and explain how that means they will suck in the years ahead.
I don't view The University of Arkansas Football Program as Mr. CBB's personal Petri dish to experiment and tinker with for HIS pleasure and learning curve.

GoHogs1091

OU has already started missing the recruiting of Brent Venables (who decided on his own to leave for Clemson).  The recruiting aspect is one reason why Bob Stoops wanted Venables to stay at OU (in addition to Venables' excellent defensive coaching at OU that led to 2 Butkus Award Winners, a Bednarik Award winner, and 2 other Butkus Award finalists).     

In the past, Venables would help other members of the OU Coaching Staff land players that they had been recruiting, in addition to the players that he was recruiting solely himself.  It was a huge loss for OU when Venables left.       

redeye

Well, I guess Barnett wasn't the overweight failure that some around here said he was last year.

Quote from: MiHogsMi on December 07, 2012, 07:50:27 am
No possible.  The Hogville dummies said there would be no advantage to Texas A & M in recruiting because they entered the SEC.  In fact,  their joing the SEC would help Arkansas according to the Hogville dummies so expect all of them to recommit from A & M any day now.  After all the Hogville dummies can cite their win loss record from the 1980's and explain how that means they will suck in the years ahead.

A&M will greatly benefit from joining the SEC and it will help us too. I don't think anyone said it wouldn't help A&M?!?

davispard

My son-in-law is in Houston, and he tells me that aTm has larger endowments than Texas, and that their facilities are "world class".   They are, and will not be, a "johnny come lately" in the SEC.  They have "big boy" pants, and they seem to fit just fine.

Having said that, our new coach will cause alot of problems for ALL of the SEC, once he gets his program going.  WPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Marmot

Quote from: davispard on December 07, 2012, 08:19:54 am
My son-in-law is in Houston, and he tells me that aTm has larger endowments than Texas, and that their facilities are "world class".   They are, and will not be, a "johnny come lately" in the SEC.  They have "big boy" pants, and they seem to fit just fine.

I went to the A&M game. World class facilities, they are not.
I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 28, 2014, 06:59:50 pm
The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

I wasn't pleased with our coach choice and not becasue he isn't a very, very good coach.  I just don't believe we can beat the best in the SEC by trying to recruit the same players they need to beat us.  We'll get a few but they will still get the most and bodes bad for us.  I am not knocking Coach Bielema.  He is just going to have a very difficult time out recruiting established systems for the very players that would put us over the top.  I have always believed that a good D and a wide open O would get us further up the ladder.  Petrino had the O but not the D.  In any event, the D is mandatory, not optional.

outlawhogeywells

Quote from: The Marmot on December 07, 2012, 08:23:16 am
I was at the A&M game also.  They must be hiding those world class facilities because stadium was a pit. 

Hogfaniam

Quote from: 12247 on December 07, 2012, 09:10:29 am
I wasn't pleased with our coach choice and not becasue he isn't a very, very good coach.  I just don't believe we can beat the best in the SEC by trying to recruit the same players they need to beat us.  We'll get a few but they will still get the most and bodes bad for us.  I am not knocking Coach Bielema.  He is just going to have a very difficult time out recruiting established systems for the very players that would put us over the top.  I have always believed that a good D and a wide open O would get us further up the ladder.  Petrino had the O but not the D.  In any event, the D is mandatory, not optional.

Time and a great coach will get us past this mentality
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

BigE_23

Bielema, you reading this???

Oh, I'm certain that our new football coach is hanging on your every keystroke.

ricepig

Defensive tackle is a position we can miss a little on this year, not strike out, but we don't have to have a boatload as we have 3 in state guys for 2014.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: ricepig on December 07, 2012, 09:16:46 am
Defensive tackle is a position we can miss a little on this year, not strike out, but we don't have to have a boatload as we have 3 in state guys for 2014.

I agree we don't need a "boadload", but we just can't have a mentality that DT isn't too much of a need this year.  DT is the most difficult position to recruit and is certainly a need for us this year.  We only got 1 each in the last 2 classes, Hodge and Philon, with Philon possibly a hybrid type that could actually be a DE.  Not good in the SEC.  Yes, 1 or 2 of those DE's from last year might grow to be a DT, but might not.

Although it looks good for us, there is no guarantee we get all 3 in-staters next year.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Hog10S

A&M could be pulling these recruits because they had a great year, beat Alabama at Alabama on national TV with ESPN and others going crazy, and are getting all the "Johnny Football" hype on a daily basis.  Plus, their new coach has an exciting style of play that seems to be working right of the bat.

It has much more to do with the above than A&M being in the SEC (although that doesn't hurt).

Bubba's Bruisers

TAMU is going to be a huge force in the SEC.  I always thought it was stupid thinking that UA would benefit in recruiting because of TAMU's entrance into the league.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

JaketheSnake

Quote from: MiHogsMi on December 07, 2012, 07:50:27 am
Hogville "dummies" were correct in A&M joining the SEC would help Arkansas... we get more exposure to the state of Texas.  We are not going to win every recruiting battle for a kid in Texas, or Oklahoma, or anywhere.  Just not going to happen. 

Pork Twain

this is why I have said all along that A&M could be a monster in the SEC.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

cdhogfan

Quote from: outlawhogeywells on December 07, 2012, 09:11:36 am
I was at the A&M game also.  They must be hiding those world class facilities because stadium was a pit. 
I think you misread his post.

tweet pilot

A&M has always either had great players or the ability to recruit great players.  That comes with being thought of as the second best team in Texas and the abundance of talent in Texas.  What changed this year was the coach.  They are no different than about 3/4ths of the teams in the SEC.  They have players, the big question is do they have a great head coach.  A&M has one now.  The 2011 A&M team probably had as much talent as any team in the SEC, but they also had a sorry head coach.  We don't have to look past Fayetteville to see what a difference a head coach makes.

HogWall Jackson

Quote from: The Marmot on December 07, 2012, 08:23:16 am

Their facilities are being upgraded but are hardly World Class.

jbcarol

http://www.mrsec.com/2012/12/granger-latest-standout-to-choose-texas-am/

Defensive tackle Justin Manning from Kimball High in Dallas has committed to A&M.

Manning chose the Aggies over Oklahoma and TCU.

The Aggies have 33 commitments for the class of 2013.

"I can trust (A&M), and I feel like it'll be a challenge," Manning told ESPN RecruitingNation. "I feel like I'm challenging myself to be better. Oklahoma has been my dream school since Day 1. The only doubts I had about them was when I arrived, would I feel too comfortable?"

Manning's brother, DeMarcus Granger, played on the defensive line at Oklahoma from 2006-09.

My key strokes were facts about some recruits, not some ego opinion of my own.  In a typical year, I think there are about 40 four and 5 star D tackles nationwide.  I may be off on this a bit but not a bunch.  If A&M ends up with 4 of those, thats a coup.

This is so one sided that it may draw the attention of the NCAA.  I surely do not claim to know anything but collecting 4-4star D tackles in one recruiting batch is waaaaaaay above average.  Of course, none are signed and none may end up signing.  Its about like signing 2 five star QBs in the same season.

jbcarol

http://blogs.clarionledger.com/um/2012/12/10/ole-miss-gets-juco-dt-in-jarran-reed/

Ole Miss filled a hole inside today when East Mississippi Community College DT Jarran Reed verbally committed to the Rebels.

Reed, a 6-foot-4, 310-pound defensive tackle, signed with North Carolina out of high school and was committed to the Tar Heels at one point. He landed at Hargrave for a year, which means he still has three years of eligibility remaining.

Ole Miss loses nose tackle Gilbert Pena and versatile tackle Uriah Grant after the bowl game, making the position a priority for Ole Miss. It had already lost out on two JUCO guys: Marquel Combs (who could not qualify to join Ole Miss in January) and Darious Cummings (a teammate of Reed's who flipped to Florida).

jbcarol

http://blogs.clarionledger.com/recruiting/2012/12/12/former-ole-miss-commit-marquel-combs-headed-to-kansas/

Former Ole Miss commit Marquel Combs will be headed to the Big 12 next year.

Combs, a highly-regarded Juco defensive lineman from Pierce College, committed to Kansas via a Twitter announcement early Wednesday morning. The 6-foot-3, 305-pound defensive tackle detailed to Rivals.com why he chose the Jayhawks.

"It came down to who was the best fit for me, and I feel like that was Kansas," Combs said. "They were saying a lot of the same things, so I had to go check out both schools for myself to find out which school was going to be the best for me. Tonight, I called my mom and I asked God to lead me to the right school, and there were signs that told me to go to KU."

Combs was previously committed to Ole Miss in April, but de-committed in September after realizing he wouldn't be academically qualified to enroll at the school in January. The reason was because of a specific SEC rule that disallowed specific online credits for Juco players. The rule made it impossible to Combs to enroll at an SEC school this January, but he would have been eligible to do so after another semester.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: Hogfaniam on December 07, 2012, 09:12:28 am
Time and a great coach will get us past this mentality

Doubtful. some Arkies have the inferiority complex in their DNA  :-[

jbcarol

5-star Northeast Mississippi Community College defensive tackle Lavon Hooks is scheduled to choose his school on Monday.

Ole Miss is in the mix.

jbcarol

6-3, 300, Dooly County DT, Montravius Adams is ranked as the nation's No. 2 overall prospect by 247sports. Adams has selected four of his five official visits, according to his coach Hughes. Adams will go to Florida after the Under Armour game on Jan. 6, Clemson on Jan. 11, Alabama on Jan. 18 and UGA on Jan. 25.

UGA could be his last visit, if he doesn't set up a fifth one for the Feb. 1 weekend. There are several schools in the running for that spot.

http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2012/12/19/5-star-dt-montravius-adams-will-visit-uga-on-jan-25/

jbcarol

Lavon Hooks, the prize jewel of this potential JUCO signing class for Ole Miss, has still not made a decision as to his college destination.

http://blogs.clarionledger.com/um/2012/12/19/ole-miss-announces-three-signees-2/

Lavon Hooks ‏@CaptinHooks203
Mind officially made up

11am I will announce

11 central

Last postpone still have the decision 1 o'clock I will announce

Lavon Hooks' commitment delayed. Again. By Bud Elliott on Dec 19, 3:49p 

Will Hooks commit before the world ends? MAYANS.

First, top JUCO defensive tackle Lavon Hooks was set to decide Monday afternoon.

the decision was pushed to Wednesday.

But 1 p.m. Central came and went, and Hooks still had not committed. The decision is being further delayed.

John Davis
@oxfordeaglejd NECC DT Lavon Hooks text me the answer No to the question of any timetable on choice. #JUCO holding pattern

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2012/12/19/3785392/lavon-hooks-commitment-delayed-mississippi-washington

jbcarol

Northeast Mississippi CC defensive tackle Lavon Hooks, who is the No. 15 JUCO prospect, signed with Ole Miss.

jbcarol

Ole Miss coach Freeze reduced to tears by juco signature
Hooks chooses Rebels over MSU, Auburn

How big of a deal was it Thursday when Ole Miss coach Hugh Freeze got the word that prized junior college recruit Lavon Hooks was going to sign with the Rebels?

"He started crying on the phone," Hooks said. "He told me this is going to be the best decision of your life and that he was proud I was part of the family."
Freeze's tears could have been out of excitement or perhaps relief after an up and down week that left many puzzled.

Heading into the start of the mid-year signing period, many expected Hooks, a 6-foot-4, 302-pound defensive tackle from Northeast Mississippi Community College, to sign with the Rebels. But a late push by other programs like Auburn made his decision difficult.

He initially planned to announce his decision on Monday, only to push it back multiple times.

On Wednesday, Hooks said he would make his decision at 1 p.m. When that deadline came and went, social media and message boards buzzed about what was happening in Hooks' recruitment. He gained more than 1,000 followers on his Twitter account in the lead-up to his decision, but also received hundreds of tweets criticizing him for not making a decision.

That's what made Hooks realize he needed to tune out the outside noise and focus on the advice of his parents.

His parents, he said, "really liked Ole Miss and felt it was a great fit," for him, so he chose the Rebels.

The program's close proximity also didn't hurt.

"The close location did help a lot because I have some friends and family around Ole Miss," Hooks said. "But even if Ole Miss was inside of Hawaii, I would still go there."

Hooks signed with Ole Miss over scholarship offers from Auburn, Mississippi State and Washington. He had a lot of interest in Auburn, but the school wouldn't accept one of his credits, so he was forced to rule it out.

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20121221/SPORTS030103/312210025/Ole-Miss-coach-Freeze-reduced-tears-by-juco-signature

jbcarol

Shortly after Montravius Adams announced where he would take four official visits in January (Florida, Clemson, Alabama and Georgia), Auburn's hiring of Rodney Garner earned the Tigers a closer look and likely the five-star lineman's final official visit on February 1.

Dee Liner, Defensive Tackle, Muscle Shoals (Muscle Shoals, AL)
The four-star defensive lineman refuses to comment publicly on the status of his recruitment but has been in communication with the coaching staff at Alabama and will also take an official visit to Miami in January.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2012/12/auburn_in_play_for_several_rec.html

jbcarol

It appears Ben Bradley appears and Tennessee have parted ways (sic, shaken?).

Bradley, a three-star defensive tackle from Hutchinson (Kan.) Community College, had been committed to UT since June.

"But that ship has apparently sailed,'' 247's Ryan Callahan wrote Wednesday.

The transition from fired coach Derek Dooley to successor Butch Jones was an obvious change in the relationship.

Bradley could have signed with UT last week but did not. Missouri and Nebraska are the only two schools still in the running that Bradley has visited.

Bradley is the No. 6 rated junior college defensive tackle in the 247Composite for the Class of 2013.

His defection leaves Jones with 13 commitments and one signee, that being juco defensive back Riyahd Jones.

Barring a new development there won't be a Hutchinson presence on the UT roster in 2013.

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2012/dec/26/juco-dt-ben-bradley-no-longer-a-tennessee/

jbcarol

Will off-field issues hamper Muscle Shoals star Dee Liner at the next level? (rare embedded video)

When it comes to producing on the field, few players have been as dominant at the line of scrimmage in the state of Alabama this season as Muscle Shoals lineman Dee Liner. Off field issues, however, have hampered Liner's senior season and have cast doubts by some analysts as to whether the four-star Auburn commit will be successful at the next level.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/12/will_off-field_issues_hamper_m.html

jbcarol