Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

News on recruiting the all-important SEC defensive linemen

Started by jbcarol, May 08, 2012, 12:06:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Florida defensive tackle commit announced he is now a soft verbal and unsure about his decision.

Quote"I feel like I made the right choice, I just did it in the wrong way," said Brantley, the nation's No. 2 DT on ESPN. "I rushed my commitment and I didn't really take my time."

Florida remains the leader for Brantley and is recruiting him harder than any other school, but he has doubts about the depth chart that he wants to address with UF defensive coordinator Dan Quinn and defensive line coach Bryant Young.

"The depth chart is my main concern," Brantley said. "I just need to see what the roster looks like in the fall and get some questions answered by coach Quinn and coach Young. I want to make sure I can get early playing time because I don't want to sit on the bench my freshman year."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Jackson DT Jay Woods told Rivals he just picked up his 26th offer including at least eight SEC schools.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on May 23, 2012, 11:13:44 am
Keith Niebuhr was just told 4-star DT Rod Crayton can do like 20 reps of 325 lbs on the bench. That can't be right, can it? Good grief

Rod from Dadeville is reported to have offers from Arkansas, LSU, Miss. St., Ole Miss, Tennessee, and of course, Vandy.

Rod Crayton benching with 150-pound dumbbells in each hand with spotter

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

6-2, 315, Hutchinson Community College defensive tackle Ben Bradley pledged to Volunteers... Likely a nose tackle in UT's new 3-4 defensive scheme, he had scholarship offers from Arizona, Arkansas, Baylor, Georgia, Texas A&M and West Virginia, among others. He signed with West Virginia as a three-star prospect in 2010 out of Georgia's Norcross High School...

QuoteThe Vols have signed four junior college defensive linemen since Derek Dooley became coach in January 2010: McCullers and end Darrington Sentimore in 2012, Couch in 2011 and John Brown, who failed to qualify academically, in 2010.

"We're not going to build this program on junior college players, and that's not a knock on junior college players," Dooley said on signing day in February. "What we will do is every year try to sign a few to address a need. ... We're going to have it every year on the defensive line."

Bradley isn't the only Hutchinson defensive tackle the Vols hope to land. The 6-foot-4, 290-pound Toby Johnson is another UT target and has offers from Arkansas, Nebraska, Texas A&M, Southern Cal, Georgia, Missouri, Ole Miss and Oklahoma, among others.

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on May 08, 2012, 12:19:23 pm
Jackson DT Jay Woods told Rivals he just picked up his 26th offer including at least eight SEC schools.

Woods is reported to be visiting Clemson.

jbcarol

Dante Phillips will be eligible to play in 2012 for Tennessee as he never enrolled at Florida. He may be able to play any of the down line positions in Sal Sunseri's 3-4.

jbcarol

Jackson DT Jay Woods' final six are Clemson, Vanderbilt, Missouri, UGa, GaTech and Kentucky.

jbcarol

6-4, 285, Placer (Calif.) DL Eddie Vanderdoes is one of only three uncommitted members in the top 10 of the Sporting News Top 125.

Many pundits say the difference between the football played in the SEC and the rest of the country is the talent on the defensive line. That's Vanderdoes' position—he could play defensive end or defensive tackle interchangeably with his 6-4, 285-pound frame.

Quote"It's almost like a culture change being around the southern guys," Vanderdoes told Sporting News at the camp. "If you compare them to the California and West Coast guys, they just take it a lot more personally. They're more physical. When they're going against you in drills, it just seems like they have a bigger purpose—that they're representing everything that backs them up back home."

Vanderdoes also has drawn scholarship offers from these SEC schools: Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Ole Miss, and Tennessee.

jbcarol

When he started playing football at age seven, Montravius Adams (Vienna, Ga./Dooly Co.) was bigger and faster than his peers, so he was used at running back...

The Tigers' biggest competition could come from the Tigers to the east in Clemson. With Dabo Swinney and his staff offering first, Clemson has built up a strong relationship with Adams. The commitments this summer of No. 1 prospect Robert Nkemdiche (Loganville, Ga./Grayson) and ESPN 300 defensive tackle Scott Pagano (Honolulu/Moanalua) have Clemson in place to possibly bring in the best defensive line in the country during the 2013 recruiting cycle. Adams is contemplating joining that group.

"I thought Nkemdiche would go to Clemson," Adams said. "It really does not affect me that he is there, but I really would not mind playing with him because he is a great player."

But don't count out the in-state program just yet.

"Georgia definitely has a shot," Adams said. "I love Georgia, all of the coaches and all of the players. I know a lot of the players in Georgia committed there like Brandon Kublanow (Marietta, Ga./Walton), Tray Matthews (Newnan, Ga./Newnan) and Shaq Wiggins (Tyrone, Ga./Sandy Creek), so I already have good relationships with them and it just reminds me that I like how the program is family-based. I spoke to Scott Lakatos a few days ago, and he really wants me to get my mom up to Athens to stay for a couple of days."

The plan for Adams is to keep his options open until after his football season, where he would then name a top six. He plans to take his official visits during and after his senior season. LSU, Oregon and USC are the only three he knows of for sure, because they are places he would not be able to visit on his own. A signing-day decision is expected.

jbcarol

One that got away; a 2011 article

QuoteOnce a prospering sumo wrestler, Soslan Gagloev dreams of one day playing in the NFL. However, his experience on the field only began recently and a workout with Mike Singletary proved he wasn't ready.

A prodigy in Japan's celebrated sport, at the age of 19 the Russian was rising in the country's premier sumo division.

But a 2008 arrest for marijuana possession and his allegations of match-fixing weeks later eventually got him a lifetime ban and led to him leaving his adopted home of six years.

The now 6-4, 308 DT is on the roster for South Florida.

jbcarol

Way Too Early look at some of the Top 40 DT prospects in '13 with SEC verbals:

8  Caleb Brantley    Crescent City  Florida

10  Isaiah Golden     Carthage        A&M

13 Kerrick Huggins   Skyline          A&M

17 Hardreck Walker  Westfield       A&M

18 Tevin Lawson      Denham Springs  LSU

23 DeAndre Johnson Northgate       UGa

29 Antar Thompson  Richmond Heights  MU

38 Darius Paige       Washington     Bama

40 Jacob Hyde        Clay County     UK

Pensacola Washington's Paige is the only DT on this list that has committed to an out-of-state school.

jbcarol

The battle is on for 6-4, 3 bills, Hutchinson CC DT Toby Johnson, a top rated juco DT.

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on August 06, 2012, 09:32:01 am
Way Too Early look at some of the Top 40 DT prospects in '13 with SEC verbals:

8  Caleb Brantley    Crescent City  Florida

10  Isaiah Golden     Carthage        A&M

13 Kerrick Huggins   Skyline          A&M

17 Hardreck Walker  Westfield       A&M

18 Tevin Lawson      Denham Springs  LSU

23 DeAndre Johnson Northgate       UGa

29 Antar Thompson  Richmond Heights  MU

38 Darius Paige       Washington     Bama

40 Jacob Hyde        Clay County     UK

Pensacola Washington's Paige is the only DT on this list that has committed to an out-of-state school.

Update: Appears Paige is transferring to Foley High School upon certification that he has made a "bona fide move" from Pensacola Washington.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Gaffney DT Jaylen Miller is reported to now have offers from Florida, LSU, and Kentucky.

jbcarol

iluvmyslute89

jbcarol

If you name your kid Dee Liner you've set him up for a career ...

QuoteThe early headliner of Auburn's 2013 recruiting class, Muscle Shoals, Ala., defensive tackle Dee Liner, has reportedly been arrested for criminal trespassing – his second offense in less than two weeks.

in Huntsville, Liner (not to be confused with early nineties house/dance group Deee-Lite) was arrested around 1 a.m. Wednesday morning after being spotted jumping a fence at a public pool along with several other people. The initial charge, burglary, was quickly reduced to criminal trespassing, a misdemeanor; no court date has been set. The threat of a felony count having been narrowly avoided, Auburn fans will now take solace in the image of a 6-foot-3, 270-pound lineman hopping a fence as more proof of his freakish athleticism.

A previous (and previously unreported) incident may prove more serious. On July 1, Liner was arrested following an altercation with a female officer who had pulled over his mother in Muscle Shoals. According to a police report, Liner pulled up in a second car during the traffic stop and began "screaming, cursing and throwing objects" at the officer, allegedly yelling "Let my f------ mother go. You're not going to tell me what to do." He's set to appear on Aug. 23 on two misdemeanor charges from that incident, for disorderly conduct and obstructing government operations.

jbcarol

jbcarol

A-Lister Rod from Dadeville had life changed by a horticultural incident

Quote"My dad's mom was cutting grass and I was out there trying to help," he said, openly. "The lawnmower hit me and I fell down and it fell on top of me. The grass got inside [my skin.] It happened so fast."

Crayton lost part of his foot in the accident, and now wears a brace for support when he plays football and walks around. He said it has not affected his career on the gridiron or the recruiting process.

Crayton is the only player on The A-List who has yet to commit to a college team, but the 17-year-old is in no rush. He has 21 offers from Football Bowl Subdivision schools, and listed LSU, Mississippi State, Tennessee and Arkansas as his top four.

"I have a good relationship with the defensive line coaches at all those schools," he said. "In college I want to have a good relationship with my coaches. That's important to me."

Given his current situation, that's not surprising. Crayton has a special bond with his current defensive line coach at Dadeville, Matt Harrison.

jbcarol

"I didn't know UGA Defensive Coordinator Todd Gratham was at my game until now Wowwww #nice"

Vandy commit Jay Woods last night.

jbcarol

Marquel Combs, a defensive tackle at Pierce College of Woodland Hills, Calif., de-committed from Ole Miss on Thursday because of an SEC rule that would have forced him to spend another semester at the two-year school.

QuoteHe will now focus on playing for a Big 12, Big Ten, or Pac 12 school. The reason that he could be eligible to play in those conferences and not Ole Miss is because the SEC has additional requirements for Juco transfers who did not meet the NCAA's initial academic eligibility requirements coming out of high school.

jbcarol

jbcarol

A ton of college scouts are expected to travel to South Georgia on Friday to see Dooly County play Wilcox County. More specifically, they will be there to observe Dooly County DT Montravius Adams, who is ranked as the state's No. 2 overall prospect by 247sports.

QuoteAuburn and Clemson appear to be the leaders for Adams, who is also strongly considering UGA, Florida and Tennessee, among others. Adams has scheduled an official visit to Michigan State. In two games, Adams had 17 tackles, including 5 tackles for losses and two sacks. He also has one caused fumble, one broken up pass, and one carry for one touchdown. "Sometimes he has as many as three blockers on him," Dooly County Coach Hughes said.

jbcarol

DT Kelsey Griffin on what went wrong with his brief commitment to UGA

QuoteThe 4-star defensive tackle offered some insight on late Friday after his football game for Mill Creek High School.

Earlier in the day, Griffin sat with his parents in front of TV cameras and publicly committed to UGA. However, a few hours later, his coach stated to the AJC that he was not pledged to the Bulldogs.

Apparently, Griffin made a commitment that UGA was not ready or willing to accept.

"I did not affirm my commitment," Griffin said. "For right now, that's all I have to say. It wasn't confirmed. It wasn't official. So right now, I'm uncommitted."

Why didn't UGA accept the commitment? What was the reason? Did Griffin think he had a committable football scholarship offer from UGA and he did not? What gave Griffin or his coach the impression that he did? What caused the misunderstanding? Which side was responsible for it? How did UGA explain it to his coach on late Friday afternoon?

When asked for a clarification, Griffin said, "There are details in it, but for right now I'm going to keep it on the low until I figure it out."

Mill Creek coach Shannon Jarvis was also tight-lipped...