Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Petrino the worst SEC hire of the BCS era.

Started by rhog1, August 20, 2016, 05:44:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rhog1

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/10-worst-sec-coaching-hires-bcs-era/

The primary sin of most of the coaches on this list is they lost games. Petrino's sins were ones of ethics. In doing so, he put a greater stain on the Arkansas program than a losing record would ever provide.

John L Smith should have made the list as well. 

Arkansas Fan

The Petrino lovers will come out of the woodwork now.

goodguytex

I'm not a Petrino lover, I think his off the field crap and his horrid recruiting in his later years and his terrible choice of assistants were bad for us after he left.

But I've been watching games from the 2010 and 2011 seasons, and I enjoyed watching Hog football, being a part of it. I enjoy what's going on now, too, because we are almost at the end of a major rebuild I think, but Petrino did a lot of good at Arkansas. He brought the program back to greatness.

The bad outweighed the good though. I think if Long had any idea Petrino was going to do what he did, he still would have been right to hire him, just put a tighter reign and more controls on him when he got hired. But he did do plenty of good, and I will always appreciate and respect him for that.

thebignasty

Ended in flames, but pretty silly to include a guy who had back to back 10 win seasons here in the worst hires list,  let alone at the top; coming from a guy who supported the firing and thinks we're better off long term with Bielema.

goodguytex

Quote from: thebignasty on August 20, 2016, 08:46:50 pm
Ended in flames, but pretty silly to include a guy who had back to back 10 win seasons here in the worst hires list,  let alone at the top; coming from a guy who supported the firing and thinks we're better off long term with Bielema.
Kind of where I am. We can't and we shouldn't want to just act like 2009, 10 and 11 didn't happen. Those three years I very much enjoyed Razorback football.

It was very special getting to see in person people like Ryan Mallett, Joe Adams, Dennis Johnson, Tyler Wilson, Jake Bequette....people like them got us to top ten in the country. And that accomplishment can't be forgotten, or overlooked. There was a lot of good there. I just wish Petrino had made better choices in his personal life. Some just don't learn from their mistakes.

tophawg19

Name me another coach who got us to the top 5 in recent memory? without CBP we would never have gotten to where we are now. He showed everyone what Arkansas was capable of . to say His recruiting was bad just isn't true . He recruited to fit his needs , not CBB's . The fact is the man win's wherever he goes . You may not like the man but only a damn fool would say he wasn't a good coach. Nutt left us in a mess , CBP  built to his needs and style . Cbb is having to do the same because his style varies so much. Both are good coaches who do well in their style , CBP just got there faster .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

pigture perfect

If Saturday Down South were a print medium, I would only use it to line the bird cage.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Inhogswetrust

August 21, 2016, 11:41:09 am #7 Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 11:01:40 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: thebignasty on August 20, 2016, 08:46:50 pm

Aw yes, a wins only matter post. That didn't take long. Wins are great but it isn't all that matters in college athletics.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hoglady

Yes - I'm a Petrino lover.
I have no problem with him being fired - but I sure appreciate the fun he provided the last 2 seasons and also the hope he brought to the fans after the Houston Nutt fiasco.
I think if you had hired a lesser coach (Bowden or Grobe) and we continued in the cellar - then you don't stand a prayer of ever hiring a Bielema.
So in the long run things have worked out pretty well for us.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Gonzo

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on August 21, 2016, 11:41:09 am
Wins are great but it isn't all that matters in college athletics.

Favorite quote pretty much only of parties who aren't winning a whole lot

Go Hogs!

thebignasty

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on August 21, 2016, 11:41:09 am
Aw yes, a wins only matter post. That didn't take long. Wins are great but it isn't all that matters in college athletics.
great take, but that wasn't a wins are all that matters post;  I supported his firing.(as I said in my post)

Other teams have made worse hires, though

BPsTheMan

"Petrino the worst SEC hire of the BCS era"

k

BPsTheMan

a very wise and very religious 75 year old lady told me recently that no two people are that much different, some just hide their sins better

razorbacker3

I for one am very happy with the Petrino hiring and his firing. Had things not happened EXACTLY as is did, we would not have the coach we have now. Bret Bielema is the best thing for this program since Frank was coach. Great coach, teacher, and even better man. If he can't win here, nobody can.

SpaCityHawg

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on August 27, 2016, 09:43:23 am
"Petrino the worst SEC hire of the BCS era"

k

Silly me, I thought it was Derek Dooley.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: razorbacker3 on August 27, 2016, 03:19:34 pm
I for one am very happy with the Petrino hiring and his firing. Had things not happened EXACTLY as is did, we would not have the coach we have now. Bret Bielema is the best thing for this program since Frank was coach. Great coach, teacher, and even better man. If he can't win here, nobody can.

Well we know others can win here. Many said we can't do any better than Nutt back in the day and we did. CBB has things going in the right direction, but if he fails here it doesn't mean we won't find someone eventually. I think CBB is doing good so far, he is just in a extremely tough conference and the best division in all of college football.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

Let's make some waves.