Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyson Gay gets first Olympic medal

Started by popcornhog, August 19, 2016, 08:51:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

popcornhog

August 19, 2016, 08:51:21 pm Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 11:22:53 am by popcornhog
NVMD, they were DQ'd. They don't realize it yet and are still celebrating.

***edit #2, the US has appealed the disqualification. Decision to be reached over the weekend.

Edit # 3. Appeal denied.
WPS

razorbacker3

ricepig

August 19, 2016, 08:58:03 pm #2 Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 09:08:31 pm by ricepig
Nope, DQ'd, I believe he was out of his lane, not sure of the reason for sure.

Edit: looks like it was the first exchange, instead.

razorhog52

He's been snake bit. Cost us 2 NCAA championships here and now no medals.

Danny J

Watching live the last pass looked worse than the one in question. 

ricepig

Quote from: Danny J on August 19, 2016, 09:10:54 pm
Watching live the last pass looked worse than the one in question. 

Yeah, that's what I thought, too.

Danny J

The women killed it though...from lane 1. That gave me chills.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Danny J on August 20, 2016, 06:53:25 am

That's for sure.  I've become a fan of Tori Bowie in this years Olympics. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Carvell_AJC/status/766827757754052608

QuoteMike Rodgers, the Americans' first runner, handed the baton cleanly to Gatlin for the second leg of the relay. However, he didn't make the handoff within 20-meter exchange zone.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

hoglady

Quote from: Danny J on August 20, 2016, 06:53:25 am

Me, too.
Those young women brought it tonight.
Came to make a statement and they sure did.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

3kgthog

Par for the course for us in that relay. Baton pass issues for at least the last 8 years.

While Gay's karma has gotten even for us losing 2 'ships, Lance Brauman's hasn't. He had one of his current female athletes win a medal earlier in the games.

runninhog

Tyson is no longer listed on any Razorback performance lists because of the '07 violations. As far as Arkansas is concerned, he's in Reggie Bush territory. He never existed.

Lord of the Styes

They got beat by Japan, even with the bad exchange. Japan!???

ricepig

hoglady

Gatlin has made critical errors in these Olympics.
Turning his head to look at his competitors coming down the stretch in the 200 semi most likely cost him a place in the finals.
Then that bad exchange appeared to be mostly on him for starting to soon.
Feel sorry for those guys but some of these same runners have been involved in so many botched relays over the years maybe the US needs some new blood that doesn't have the mental baggage.
Feel especially sorry for Lawson (he ran in the qualifying round) who easily could have come home with a bronze and gold medal - and instead is coming home empty handed.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

ChitownHawg

Quote from: hoglady on August 20, 2016, 07:11:38 am
Me, too.
Those young women brought it tonight.
Came to make a statement and they sure did.

Saw on the news that the US women represent more than 50% of our gold medals.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

hoglady

Quote from: ChitownHawg on August 20, 2016, 10:46:26 am

It sure was thrilling to watch that relay team do what they did and being able to do it from Lane 1 was unbelievable.

The Boar War

Is it time to say "Thank you Title 9"?   

He said as he ducked.

jbcarol

QuoteWilma Glodean Rudolph was born prematurely on June 23, 1940, in St. Bethlehem, Tennessee, the 20th of 22 children. Stricken with double pneumonia, scarlet fever and polio as a child, she had problems with her left leg and had to wear a brace.

Rudolph attended the all-black Burt High, where she played on the basketball team while possessing an Olympic Bronze Medal from the 1956 Summer Olympic Games.

She overcame her disabilities and in 1960, she became the first American woman to win three gold medals in track and field at a single Olympics.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Jackrabbit Hog

If the US women were a separate team, they would be in 3rd place in the team medal count.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on August 21, 2016, 08:32:01 am
If the US women were a separate team, they would be in 3rd place in the team medal count.

I think our men's track and field teams need to take a page from Coach K. As relay teams require teamwork as much as athletic ability (ex Japan wins Silver) they should have to agree with the terms of the team.

Coach K made it clear any NBA player wanting to be a part of the team must agree to "x" practices and warm up games. He knows it takes practice to be a team.

Our relay teams the last few years have shown they are not a team. We would not have won the Gold this year as Jamaica had the athletes who worked as a team. But we wouldn't have been four steps behind Japan either.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Tejano Jawg

This is sad news, I was hoping for a reversal. I never got a good view of the first exchange zone.

Does anyone remember watching the Olympics in the 70s...and the USSR sprint relay teams? (Of course, they did have Valeriy Borzov, the gold medalist in the 100 and 200 in Munich.) While USSR may not have had the fastest 4 guys, they made up for it with their precision hand-offs. So they were always a factor in every race. They got there by PRACTICING, like the military would do (which basically, that's what all the Soviet countries were back then...military states). Their exchanges weren't an afterthought. They probably did thousands of them. I imagine Japan would share this belief.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork