Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1978 crossett football state champs--anyone?

Started by JJHog, May 29, 2012, 07:47:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TheRazorback500

Quote from: Hogman2 on June 26, 2016, 06:49:10 pm
QB Bill Pierce

Lifetime family friend. Our dads hunted and played golf together. He and his brother Benjy, who was in coaching for a while, were great guys to be around.
Do you wanna get Rocked?

Pigasaurus

Quote from: TheRazorback500 on June 29, 2016, 07:21:08 pm
You're correct, Jesse did graduate from CHS in 1978, as did I. We went 10-0 our senior year, and blew a 21-7 halftime lead to Morrilton in the first round of the playoffs.

Listened on radio to that Morrilton game at old deer camp north end of Sand Prairie.  Remember losing by a kick, don't recall if was field goal or extra point.  We were upset but knew Eagle football was back.  About 1980, Crossett was ranked #2 in the state and QB Bill Pierce got injured.  In 8 year span, Eagles could have had 1/2 dozen state titles.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

beachhawg

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on June 01, 2012, 03:42:08 pm
Technically the class of '79 won the state title in '78. State titles are dated in the year they happen not in the year of the class.

While the '78 team won the title, a large number people around Crossett think the 1980 team that lost in the semi-finals to Wynne 3-0 was the best team Crossett produced from that era. You want to get Coach Jeter fired up these days bring up that semi-final game in Wynne. It was brutally cold. Wynne never crossed the 50 yard line on offense. Crossett fumbled inside the Wynne 10 yardline 2 or 3 times. Another fumble deep inside Crossett territory allowed Wynne to kick a FG and win. Coaches are still bitter over that one.
Eddie, gonna have to say our 84 team was pretty good

oldhawg

1963 Crossett team beat us 7-0. 

I remember getting severely pancaked on one play ---- only time I can remember that happening.  Funny how some small memories you would like to forget stay with you a lifetime.

justmakeit2thebcs

78 -- Crossett beat Alma
79 -- Arkadelphia beat Alma
80 -- Alma beat Wynne
81 -- Newport beat Alma (on a gutsy fake punt)

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: farmhawg on May 29, 2012, 10:25:10 pm
Keith Kidd lettered at U of A and then went on to play with the vikings. Last time I saw him he was still in NWA.

Great guy and he posts on here at times.
Yep, Keith is still up here. He's my buddy. He runs a cleaning crew that employs players. Nice perks, too. Great guy.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: Bailey on July 04, 2016, 06:04:42 am
Eddie, gonna have to say our 84 team was pretty good
Second best Eagle defense to ever take the field.
"I already won the lottery. I was born in the US of A, baby. And as backup, I have a Swiss passport." — Creed Bratton

farmhawg

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on July 04, 2016, 07:11:09 pm
Yep, Keith is still up here. He's my buddy. He runs a cleaning crew that employs players. Nice perks, too. Great guy.
Havent seen him in a long time. Hope he is well.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Cinco de Hogo

Don't know about their football but I remember them winning the overall state basketball championship in the mid to late 70's.  They didn't have a single player over 6' as I remember it.

Athog

Quote from: Boog41 on May 30, 2012, 09:34:19 am
Wasn't there a Coach Pierce down there in some capacity in the 70s?

John Pierce was there. He was at Hope also.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on July 04, 2016, 11:07:03 pm
Don't know about their football but I remember them winning the overall state basketball championship in the mid to late 70's.  They didn't have a single player over 6' as I remember it.

That sounds more like Parkdale, or Dumas.  Both of those schools won overall titles during that era with very short teams.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

beachhawg

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on July 04, 2016, 07:44:01 pm
Second best Eagle defense to ever take the field.
2d?? ;hahahahaha, how do you figure that?

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: Bailey on July 05, 2016, 09:55:56 am
2d?? ;hahahahaha, how do you figure that?
1966 team gave up ONE touchdown all year long and it was the second team that gave it up. Offense gave up a safety and that one touchdown were the only points scored all year long. They fiished as the number one ranked team in the state that year. (No playoff)
"I already won the lottery. I was born in the US of A, baby. And as backup, I have a Swiss passport." — Creed Bratton

PeabodyHawg

Quote from: MJ2 on May 31, 2012, 07:44:18 am
Had to be Bill Pierce you're talking about.   I think he ended up at Alabama as a QB for a brief period.
Bill transferred to Alabama when he couldn't stay out of Lou Holtz' dog house.

He played Defensive Back and Special Teams on Coach Bryant's last 2 teams.

beachhawg

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on July 05, 2016, 09:05:47 pm
1966 team gave up ONE touchdown all year long and it was the second team that gave it up. Offense gave up a safety and that one touchdown were the only points scored all year long. They fiished as the number one ranked team in the state that year. (No playoff)
I will let you off on that one, lol.  However, different era. 

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on July 05, 2016, 07:18:32 am
That sounds more like Parkdale, or Dumas.  Both of those schools won overall titles during that era with very short teams.

Probably, my memory....  In those days they played for the overall championship and that was what I was remembering I think. But all this time I thought it was Crossett.

BoarnSupremacy

I played basketball at Crossett in 74.  I remember Jessie Clark and the Pierce boys.  Played with Jessie's brother who was 6-4.  We were 6-5, 6-5, and 6-4 on the front court.  I remember we played a Bastrop team with four future NBA draft picks that had just beat the crap out of a Rick Robey lead New Orleans Brother Martin team.  They were #1 team in Louisiana at that point.  They were 6-10, 6-7, 6-6 with several 6-7 players on the bench.  Lost by 20 at Crossett but that was the closest anyone had came to them.  When we went to Bastrop it was stupid intimidating.  That may have been the best high school basketball team ever to play inside the state of Arkansas.  Football team in 1974 was awful and John Pierce was the coach with Wayne Dyer and Bobby Richardson assisting.  Dyer was the basketball coach.

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: Bailey on July 06, 2016, 11:50:56 am
I will let you off on that one, lol.  However, different era. 
Coach Richardson's first year in Crossett. Ask him. He will tell you it was the best.