Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1978 crossett football state champs--anyone?

Started by JJHog, May 29, 2012, 07:47:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JJHog

Jesse Clark on that team and a white guy that was a stud, too.
Rick? Can't remember last name -- did he play college ball.?
" Think Right, Do Right"

WilsonHog

May 29, 2012, 07:55:13 pm #1 Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 07:57:53 pm by WilsonHog
Wasn't Ronald Matheny on that team? He lettered for the Hogs from 1979-1981.

JJHog

Bill pierce
Ron matheny
Jesse clark
Rick _______.
" Think Right, Do Right"

WilsonHog

May 29, 2012, 08:01:58 pm #3 Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 08:09:14 pm by WilsonHog
Quote from: JJHog on May 29, 2012, 07:59:34 pm
Bill pierce
Ron matheny
Jesse clark
Rick _______.

Only other player I see of note was Keith Kidd, who lettered for the Hogs as a wide receiver from 1981 to 1983.

Pistol Pete

There was a Moffett who was a great pole vaulter. I went to Camden Fairview and pole vaulted (or tried to), I was maxing out where most people started (like 10'6", horrible, I know)... Moffett wouldn't start until 13'6" or 14'. He'd vault 1 time and win.

farmhawg

Keith Kidd lettered at U of A and then went on to play with the vikings. Last time I saw him he was still in NWA.

Great guy and he posts on here at times.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Harley_Hawg

Do you remember what position he played? I live in Crossett and can find out.

atekido

May 30, 2012, 01:05:25 am #8 Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 01:07:45 am by atekido
My uncle was on that team i believe if it was the last year Crossett won the state championship and i think Coach Richardson was over it?.  I remember Coach Richardson telling him once at western sizzlin if he knew that was going to be his last championship team he would have retired sooner lol.  That guy could coach any sport.  he was big reason Crossett dominated Track for years. 

Pistol Pete

Quote from: atekido on May 30, 2012, 01:05:25 am
My uncle was on that team i believe if it was the last year Crossett won the state championship and i think Coach Richardson was over it?.  I remember Coach Richardson telling him once at western sizzlin if he knew that was going to be his last championship team he would have retired sooner lol.  That guy could coach any sport.  he was big reason Crossett dominated Track for years. 

Well, it wouldn't be Hogville if I couldn't argue with you! lol.
Crossett had very good coaching, but the community culture is what made their sports teams a success... everyone wanted to participate in sports. They had so many football players, they had to duplicate jerseys.

DeltaBoy

They were a tough bunch in the 1970's for sure.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hardtimes79

Quote from: Pistol Pete on May 30, 2012, 06:48:08 am
Well, it wouldn't be Hogville if I couldn't argue with you! lol.
Crossett had very good coaching, but the community culture is what made their sports teams a success... everyone wanted to participate in sports. They had so many football players, they had to duplicate jerseys.
Ed Johnson was the head coach of the team if im not mistaken, but coach richardson has always been his right hand man.  As far as track Coach Richardson is a legend for what he was able to accomplish.  Coaching has just as much to do with it as community because there hasnt been a shortage of athletes down there, just bad coaching.
The easiest way to save face is to keep the lower half shut.

Boog41

Wasn't there a Coach Pierce down there in some capacity in the 70s?

hardtimes79

Quote from: Boog41 on May 30, 2012, 09:34:19 am
Wasn't there a Coach Pierce down there in some capacity in the 70s?
yep, think that he was the coach before johnson.

1highhog

Crossett was bigtime back in the day for sure, it seemed as though Hamburg had a stout Football team as well during that time. 

farmhawg

Quote from: Ironman44 on May 29, 2012, 11:06:30 pm
Do you remember what position he played? I live in Crossett and can find out.
Keith was a WR. You should see the mitts on that guy.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

HR Piganstuff

Yes they were except for 75-76-77 when my team mates and fellow Hamburg Lions were able to clip them.. 76 was the best. 17-0 going into the 4th quarter and we came back to win 18-17 with 12 seconds on the clock... Jesse Clark was a stud. I will never forget coach Coleman telling us to put him on the ground every play, whether he had the ball or not. Dude was stout. I never saw a football stadium packed so full of fans. You could have robbed a bank that night, everybody was at the game.
Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 30, 2012, 08:36:19 am
They were a tough bunch in the 1970's for sure.

hardtimes79

Quote from: Lrgrbt on May 30, 2012, 10:27:38 am
Yes they were except for 75-76-77 when my team mates and fellow Hamburg Lions were able to clip them.. 76 was the best. 17-0 going into the 4th quarter and we came back to win 18-17 with 12 seconds on the clock... Jesse Clark was a stud. I will never forget coach Coleman telling us to put him on the ground every play, whether he had the ball or not. Dude was stout. I never saw a football stadium packed so full of fans. You could have robbed a bank that night, everybody was at the game.
Not sure but is that when Bobby Duckworth played for Hamburg?  Also crossett wasnt too shabby in the eighties either, my brother was on the team when they won state then.

TuffTusk

My father coached in NW Ark from '66-'76, so I thought I'd ask him if he knew any of the players.  Sorry, I wasn't able to come up with the last name in question.  The only thing I did find out was that Coach "Bobby Don" Richardson was on the same dorm floor as him at ASTC. FWIW.
Making the world a better place one frosty mug at a time

HR Piganstuff

Quote from: hardtimes79 on May 30, 2012, 10:54:20 am
Not sure but is that when Bobby Duckworth played for Hamburg?  Also crossett wasnt too shabby in the eighties either, my brother was on the team when they won state then.

Yep Duck graduated with me. Hwas good but we had a well rounded team and used him as a diversion a lot that year.

hawgsmellgud

Quote from: Lrgrbt on May 30, 2012, 10:27:38 am

Did Kelly Beasley go to hamburg back then? Was good at football, but excelled in basketball and got a schollie to one of the Louisiana schools.
"I've never been a numbers guy," Mallett said. "If you play the game for yourself, don't play. I don't want you on the team. There's one goal we've got here. If you're not trying to reach that goal, don't come to Arkansas."

MtPorker

Crossett also won a state championship in 83.  Jesse Clark was a sr in 78, bill pierce was a jr.  David Moffat was more of a track guy than football. 

Pigasaurus

Quote from: MtPorker on May 30, 2012, 05:37:59 pm
Crossett also won a state championship in 83.  Jesse Clark was a sr in 78, bill pierce was a jr.  David Moffat was more of a track guy than football. 

1984, not 83.  should have had half a dozen titles from 77-84.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

tucsonhogfan

First of all, thanks for saying the nice things about my Dad. (Coach Richardson)

I was only 11 at that time so it is hard to remember everyone, but Mike Loggins was also on the team around that time.  He played baseball for the Hogs.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: WilsonHog on May 29, 2012, 08:01:58 pm
Only other player I see of note was Keith Kidd, who lettered for the Hogs as a wide receiver from 1981 to 1983.
hey, that's my friend.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Eddie Goodson

May 30, 2012, 10:29:37 pm #25 Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 10:31:12 pm by Eddie Goodson
1978 team

1966 team
Coach Richardson's first year as an asst coach in Crossett under John Pierce. IMO, Coach Richardson is the greatest coach to ever coach sports in Ashley County. If he coached tiddly winks, that tiddly winks team would be a powerhouse. If I remember correctly, none of the points given up by this team in 1966 was given up by the 1st team defense.

"I already won the lottery. I was born in the US of A, baby. And as backup, I have a Swiss passport." — Creed Bratton

atekido

agree 100%  I ran Track for Coach Richardson and you just worked harder for him than other coaches.  ill have to ask my uncle Ron  what year Championship team he was on.   his picture was up in western sizzlin when it was still around lol.  Sadly the Crossett community fan base has died.  there was a lot of school hopping to hamburg over the last 5-6 years.    heck the last time Crossett football was relevant was what 4-5 years ago?  when they were i think undefeated until they lost in the championship game or maybe the game before.  had a real good kid as a RB.    Sadly we haven't had a great football or track coach since Coach Richardson retired.  cross country went to crap after Coach White left to Cabot.   all i know is Crossett cannot get much worse.. what 2-3 wins over the last 2 seasons?

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: atekido on May 30, 2012, 10:46:01 pm
agree 100%  I ran Track for Coach Richardson and you just worked harder for him than other coaches.  ill have to ask my uncle Ron  what year Championship team he was on.   his picture was up in western sizzlin when it was still around lol.  Sadly the Crossett community fan base has died.  there was a lot of school hopping to hamburg over the last 5-6 years.    heck the last time Crossett football was relevant was what 4-5 years ago?  when they were i think undefeated until they lost in the championship game or maybe the game before.  had a real good kid as a RB.    Sadly we haven't had a great football or track coach since Coach Richardson retired.  cross country went to crap after Coach White left to Cabot.   all i know is Crossett cannot get much worse.. what 2-3 wins over the last 2 seasons?
Coach Richardson assisted the track coaches this year for the first time in years and guess what? The girls won a state title in track.
"I already won the lottery. I was born in the US of A, baby. And as backup, I have a Swiss passport." — Creed Bratton

Eagle_06

My dad played from 80-83.  Won the title the year after he graduated.  Wish things were like they were then.

hardtimes79

Quote from: tucsonhogfan on May 30, 2012, 10:12:23 pm
First of all, thanks for saying the nice things about my Dad. (Coach Richardson)

I was only 11 at that time so it is hard to remember everyone, but Mike Loggins was also on the team around that time.  He played baseball for the Hogs.
coach was my favorite and i have quite a few funny stories about him from my playing days.  He was a damn good algebra teacher too, just dont fall asleep in his class.  He made all the athletes sit up front and i made the dumb decision of falling asleep only once.  Saw him a few years ago and was amazed how good he looked and how strong he still was, almost broke my hand on the handshake.

MJ2

Had to be Bill Pierce you're talking about.   I think he ended up at Alabama as a QB for a brief period.

HoopS

There was a Ronald Matheny about that time and Rick Matheny was 81.   Rick played at UCA. 

UrsisHoribilis

There were two games I remember during that time that show the fan support.  We played Alma in the championship game when the games were played at one of the school's stadiums.  Had some north - south, east - west formula to determine location.  in '78 we (Crossett) went to Alma.  When the Alma fans began arriving, Crossett had filled the stadium.  Both sides of the natural bowl stadium Alma had than, and may still have. 
The other game was in Stuttgart, we were in the stands when the lights were turned on.  Ricebird Field was almost full of Eagle fans.  What happened to the fan support is another story for another time.

UrsisHoribilis

As far as Bobby Richardson, he was a great coach, equal to John McDonald in many ways.  I was his principal for some years at Norman Jr High where he taught Algebra I.  As far as I am concerned, he was the best teacher I have ever worked with, and no slight to other fine teachers.  He was just the best, great motivator, excellent knowledge of his subject.  Those same qualities made him a great coach.

SamBuckhart

Not sure what happened to Crossett. Many kids are leaving there for Hamburg. Test scores maybe.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

hardtimes79

Quote from: SamBuckheart on May 31, 2012, 11:42:06 am
Not sure what happened to Crossett. Many kids are leaving there for Hamburg. Test scores maybe.
They havent had a coach that unites the community.  The kids have moved to more than just hamburg.  Some have played for bastrop, la and couple years ago one of el dorado's best receivers was from crossett.

UrsisHoribilis

Quote from: hardtimes79 on May 31, 2012, 01:04:34 pm
They havent had a coach that unites the community.  The kids have moved to more than just hamburg.  Some have played for bastrop, la and couple years ago one of el dorado's best receivers was from crossett.
I think it is a lot more than not having a coach to unite the community.  GP, which drives our community, allows its upper echelon employees to live outside of Crossett, that hurts.  Then, we have not had a good history of caring for our community in general and our history in particular.  Many have just given up on Crossett and that is not deserved.  I am somewhat optimistic about the future as we had a ribbon cutting for a new industry yesterday and GP is investing in a big expansion and improvement project which is nearing construction completion and going on line.

PygmalionEffect

Quote from: JJHog on May 29, 2012, 07:47:30 pm
Jesse Clark on that team and a white guy that was a stud, too.
Rick? Can't remember last name -- did he play college ball.?
========================
The '79 team won the State Championship.  The Eagles were 0-10 in '76, 5-5 in '77.  In '78 we had Jessie Clark returning as a Sr to play fullback and the best MLB I ever saw at the H.S. level.  We had Ronald Matheney at HB/DB, and some fast talent fm the track team in the secondary and wideouts, and just enough roll-player talent on the lines to make a run, except for one position, QB. 

That is where "Rick" comes in.  The "Rick" you are trying to remember was Watty Strickland, our starting QB and a 6'4" pocket passer with a good arm.  His dad worked in forrestry and got transferred from Alaska in Watty's senior year.  (Transfers coming fm Alaska to Crossett....  happens all the time right? ) So he appeared out of no where to fill a position of need for a team that went on to win 11 or 12 straight games before losing to Morrollton in the semi-finals.  Bill Pierce came in the next year as our junior QB and they took the title in 1979.  Pierce, Clark, Kidd, and Matheney all played for the Hogs.

Strange thing is nobody really knows what happened to Watty or his family for that matter after high school.  He just seemed to disappear, kind of like Clint Eastwood in High Plains Drifter.

Coach Richardson - the only guy that could have made me run 8 miles with a smile on my face. 
Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

UrsisHoribilis

Quote from: BackwaterHog on May 31, 2012, 09:45:57 pm
========================
The '79 team won the State Championship.  The Eagles were 0-10 in '76, 5-5 in '77.  In '78 we had Jessie Clark returning as a Sr to play fullback and the best MLB I ever saw at the H.S. level.  We had Ronald Matheney at HB/DB, and some fast talent fm the track team in the secondary and wideouts, and just enough roll-player talent on the lines to make a run, except for one position, QB. 

That is where "Rick" comes in.  The "Rick" you are trying to remember was Watty Strickland, our starting QB and a 6'4" pocket passer with a good arm.  His dad worked in forrestry and got transferred from Alaska in Watty's senior year.  (Transfers coming fm Alaska to Crossett....  happens all the time right? ) So he appeared out of no where to fill a position of need for a team that went on to win 11 or 12 straight games before losing to Morrollton in the semi-finals.  Bill Pierce came in the next year as our junior QB and they took the title in 1979.  Pierce, Clark, Kidd, and Matheney all played for the Hogs.

Strange thing is nobody really knows what happened to Watty or his family for that matter after high school.  He just seemed to disappear, kind of like Clint Eastwood in High Plains Drifter.

Coach Richardson - the only guy that could have made me run 8 miles with a smile on my face. 

I think I remember Waddy went to Ouachita.  His dad was moved again and I think died rather young.  I could be wrong on both counts.

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: BackwaterHog on May 31, 2012, 09:45:57 pm
========================

Technically the class of '79 won the state title in '78. State titles are dated in the year they happen not in the year of the class.

While the '78 team won the title, a large number people around Crossett think the 1980 team that lost in the semi-finals to Wynne 3-0 was the best team Crossett produced from that era. You want to get Coach Jeter fired up these days bring up that semi-final game in Wynne. It was brutally cold. Wynne never crossed the 50 yard line on offense. Crossett fumbled inside the Wynne 10 yardline 2 or 3 times. Another fumble deep inside Crossett territory allowed Wynne to kick a FG and win. Coaches are still bitter over that one.

Pigasaurus

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on June 01, 2012, 03:42:08 pm
Technically the class of '79 won the state title in '78. State titles are dated in the year they happen not in the year of the class.

While the '78 team won the title, a large number people around Crossett think the 1980 team that lost in the semi-finals to Wynne 3-0 was the best team Crossett produced from that era. You want to get Coach Jeter fired up these days bring up that semi-final game in Wynne. It was brutally cold. Wynne never crossed the 50 yard line on offense. Crossett fumbled inside the Wynne 10 yardline 2 or 3 times. Another fumble deep inside Crossett territory allowed Wynne to kick a FG and win. Coaches are still bitter over that one.

I think the Wynne game was about '82.  In '80 Crossett was ranked 2nd in the state and qb Bill Pierce got knocked out for the season in 2nd or 3rd game of the year.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: pigasaurus on June 01, 2012, 06:32:05 pm
I think the Wynne game was about '82.  In '80 Crossett was ranked 2nd in the state and qb Bill Pierce got knocked out for the season in 2nd or 3rd game of the year.

I'm 90% certain it was the '80 season. Wynne went on to lose to Alma in the title game.

jchill

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on June 01, 2012, 03:42:08 pm

Yes, I remembered listening to that game on the radio. That was by far Crossett's best team. I played on the last championship team in Crossett. We did not have a lot of superstars, but we played as a team. We did not win a game in the eight grade, but in our ninth grade year we went undefeated in Jr. High under Coach Lewis, White, Tucker, and Pickett (if I remembered correctly). Then in our senior year we had a wonderful run to the state title. We lost the first game of the season in Magnolia (I think it was 9-6). Audwin Bradford was our QB and Coach Johnson (he just passed away; RIP coach)tried the veer offense that game. After the game, I remembered Coach Johnson saying out loud, I am tired of it! I am tired of it! I am tired of it! We had lost the first game of the season to Magnolia the last four or five years in a row and that was just unacceptable for a program like Crossett back in those days. The following game we went back to the I- formation, an offense that we had learned since the seventh grade under Coach Barnett (?). We played Camden Fairview at home and barely won the game by a field goal (Bobby Joe McDaniels aka Mc Nasty and Sweet Mac was a linebacker and field goal kicker). Coach Johnson was stressed out and actually threw up after the game. We had a nice little winning streak and then got tripped up at Camden High (the refs cheated us and actually ejected a few of our players on some bogus calls). We had an ominous sign that game was going to go bad. When we ran through our banner, one of the guys tripped and fell to the ground and about five or six of us fell to the ground. That was so embarrassing. Later in the year we lost a hard fought game to Pine Bluff Dollarway in a muddy quagmire. Dollarway had a super stud wide receiver that ended playing baseball for the Hogs and a stud TE named Jackie Harris who went on to have long career in the NFL. After that game, we had a must win game against Dumas to make the playoffs. We bested the Bobcats and got in. During the playoffs, we beat three number one teams and the defending state champion to win the state crown. Obviously, we were underdogs in every game, but we believed in ourselves and took home the title. Those were the good ole days when Crossett fielded very competitive teams on the gridiron. Also during that year, our class won state titles in cross country, tennis, track, and golf.

greenie

The '78 was a very good team.  They ran over my mighty McGehee Owls 28-0 that year in Crossett.  I watched most of the game from the bench, but did get in long enough to tackle Keith Kidd after he caught a quick out from Pierce.  I bet Kidd remembers that play, too!  ;-)  Ron Matheny was the best guy on that team, IMHO.  I don't think Jesse Clark was on that team; I think he graduated in '78, so wasn't on the '78 team.

Hogman2

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: greenie on June 26, 2016, 11:12:00 am
The '78 was a very good team.  They ran over my mighty McGehee Owls 28-0 that year in Crossett.  I watched most of the game from the bench, but did get in long enough to tackle Keith Kidd after he caught a quick out from Pierce.  I bet Kidd remembers that play, too!  ;-)  Ron Matheny was the best guy on that team, IMHO.  I don't think Jesse Clark was on that team; I think he graduated in '78, so wasn't on the '78 team.

I think you're right.  We lost to Stuttgart in the AAA state semis that year; had we beat them we would have played Crossett (and probably been beaten) in the state finals.  As it was, Crossett did beat Stuttgart I believe.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

SamBuckhart

Quote from: JJHog on May 29, 2012, 07:59:34 pm
Bill pierce
Ron matheny
Jesse clark
Rick _______.
Williams, maybe Rick. Caught the winning TD pass against Hamburg . .Also, RIP Coach Ed Johnson from Crossett this week.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

Woo Hawg

Very cool thread.  I am from Crossett as well so it is nice to see some names that I recognize.  Not every day you see a thread about Crossett athletics.   :razorback:

atekido

Haha.  I had so forgot about this thread.

TheRazorback500

Quote from: greenie on June 26, 2016, 11:12:00 am
You're correct, Jesse did graduate from CHS in 1978, as did I. We went 10-0 our senior year, and blew a 21-7 halftime lead to Morrilton in the first round of the playoffs.
Do you wanna get Rocked?