Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auburn AD Jay Jacobs makes it clear he wants the Tigers in the SEC East

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, June 01, 2017, 06:40:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

Geographically it makes sense, but how much of this is about being "geographically correct" and how much of it is trying to get away from having to run the gauntlet of competition in the SEC West to win a division championship?

It's not just speculation anymore: Auburn athletic director Jay Jacobs wants the Tigers moved to the SEC East, and he's going to bring it up during the SEC's spring meetings this week.

"It makes more sense for Auburn from the standpoint of the demographics of our students, not our student-athletes," Jacobs told Brandon Marcello of 247Sports. "Six or eight years ago, I looked at all the demographics. Most of all our students come from Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, South Carolina, Kentucky, a few from Mississippi, very few from Louisiana. Since we went to the national championship twice, we've got more geographical students from all over the place, but still, the majority of our students come from the southeast."

SEC commissioner Greg Sankey does not think there will be any long discussion of the topic -- at least this year. "I've talked to Jay," Sankey said. "It's still not an agenda item."

Personally, I think the SEC could solve a lot of these problems by adopting a nine-game conference schedule. That way it could not only move Auburn to the East, but it could help ensure it's 14 teams play one another on a more regular basis no matter divisional alignment.

He wants to trade divisions with Missouri.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/auburn-ad-jay-jacobs-makes-it-clear-he-wants-the-tigers-in-the-sec-east/
Go Hogs Go!

rljjr

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: rljjr on June 01, 2017, 07:06:41 am
What does Alabama want? That's what will happen.

As I think they mentioned in the article Auburn indicated that they would be willing to move the date of the annual Iron Bowl to accommodate the move if necessary. But apparently Alabama would have to give up their annual game with Tennessee as a permanent cross division game if they wanted to keep the Iron Bowl each year with Auburn. So how important is the annual game with Tennessee to Alabama? 
Go Hogs Go!

mizzouman

Missouri belongs in the West geographically.  That's a no brainer.  Easier travel.  But, this won't  happen unless you go to a 9 game schedule.  Bama needs to play both Auburn and Tennessee each year.  That can't happen in an 8 game schedule. 

Dominicanhog

King Kong

Do it and let's get UK or Vandy as our permanent rival

It makes a lot of sense. IMO the only thing standing in the way is the UT/Bama rivalry. Which is a big deal

RazorPiggie

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: mizzouman on June 01, 2017, 07:58:09 am
Missouri belongs in the West geographically.  That's a no brainer.  Easier travel.  But, this won't  happen unless you go to a 9 game schedule.  Bama needs to play both Auburn and Tennessee each year.  That can't happen in an 8 game schedule. 

Bama doesn't "need" to play Tennessee every year.  And if AU does swap with Mizzou, you can expect Florida and UGA to get really good.  Screw Auburn.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 01, 2017, 06:40:09 am
Geographically it makes sense, but how much of this is about being "geographically correct" and how much of it is trying to get away from having to run the gauntlet of competition in the SEC West to win a division championship?

It's not just speculation anymore: Auburn athletic director Jay Jacobs wants the Tigers moved to the SEC East, and he's going to bring it up during the SEC's spring meetings this week.

"It makes more sense for Auburn from the standpoint of the demographics of our students, not our student-athletes," Jacobs told Brandon Marcello of 247Sports. "Six or eight years ago, I looked at all the demographics. Most of all our students come from Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, South Carolina, Kentucky, a few from Mississippi, very few from Louisiana. Since we went to the national championship twice, we've got more geographical students from all over the place, but still, the majority of our students come from the southeast."

SEC commissioner Greg Sankey does not think there will be any long discussion of the topic -- at least this year. "I've talked to Jay," Sankey said. "It's still not an agenda item."

Personally, I think the SEC could solve a lot of these problems by adopting a nine-game conference schedule. That way it could not only move Auburn to the East, but it could help ensure it's 14 teams play one another on a more regular basis no matter divisional alignment.

He wants to trade divisions with Missouri.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/auburn-ad-jay-jacobs-makes-it-clear-he-wants-the-tigers-in-the-sec-east/
I agree that it truly does make sense from that standpoint. However, as was also pointed out the power shift that has been to the SECW's advantage over the past 7 or 8 years can just as easily tilt back east. Remember the six years or so run that mostly had Florida dominating for so long? Things such as this so often run in cycles; therefore, one should always keep in mind the adage that says "Be careful for what you wish; for that you very well may receive".

LZH

It would be a smart move, for now anyway. In 6-8 years Saban will be retired, and Arkansas, A&M, LSU, and Ole Miss will all probably have different coaches.

Who knows what the SECW will look like, but there is no reason to believe it won't be even tougher than it is now.

The SECE is a safer landing spot. Kirby looks like he may be a good one at Georgia, but I don't see Florida, Carolina, or Tennessee returning to their glory days with their present coaches. If they replace them with real go-getters, that could surely change.

Looking 12-15 years down the road, any conference expansion west would likely involve one of the Oklahoma schools or maybe TCU. Unless Clemson or UNC would be willing to give up their stake in the ACC, I think the SECW looks to be the tougher of the two for some time.

ur

Pretty good chance for us to get Tenn as east perm if this happens. mizzou would prob get Kentucky. ole miss should get Georgia. MSU gets vandy. Ole miss would cry to keep vandy.

Wildhog

Replace AU with Mizzou and make USCe our permanent East rival again.

That'd be a welcome change to our schedule.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

mizzouman

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on June 01, 2017, 08:15:18 am
Bama doesn't "need" to play Tennessee every year.  And if AU does swap with Mizzou, you can expect Florida and UGA to get really good.  Screw Auburn.
I think they do. 

go hogues

Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

ur

Quote from: rljjr on June 01, 2017, 07:06:41 am
What does Alabama want? That's what will happen.
Saban wants 9 games. That would get him tenn and aub.  I could see us getting tenn and sc if that happens.

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

RazorWest

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on June 01, 2017, 08:16:42 am
I agree that it truly does make sense from that standpoint. However, as was also pointed out the power shift that has been to the SECW's advantage over the past 7 or 8 years can just as easily tilt back east. Remember the six years or so run that mostly had Florida dominating for so long? Things such as this so often run in cycles; therefore, one should always keep in mind the adage that says "Be careful for what you wish; for that you very well may receive".

I agree with this.  The East used to be the better side by a long shot.  Lets be honest, the west already is coming back down to earth.  Ole Miss Sucks, Mississippi State sucks, Arkansas sucks, A&M kind of sucks.  Pretty sure other conferences look at the west now and see Bama, LSU, and Auburn.  The rest aren't scaring anyone.  I'm not talking about how it was over the last five years, I'm talking about right now

Wildhog

Quote from: RazorWest on June 01, 2017, 09:27:09 am
I agree with this.  The East used to be the better side by a long shot.  Lets be honest, the west already is coming back down to earth.  Ole Miss Sucks, Mississippi State sucks, Arkansas sucks, A&M kind of sucks.  Pretty sure other conferences look at the west now and see Bama, LSU, and Auburn.  The rest aren't scaring anyone.  I'm not talking about how it was over the last five years, I'm talking about right now

Regardless, trading AU for Mizzou helps us.

1909/1964/1965/1977

rljjr

Quote from: RazorWest on June 01, 2017, 09:27:09 am

AUBURN under Gus (sing with me, 'one of these things, is not like the others')
2013      12-2   
2014        8-5   
2015        7-6   
2016        8-5   

LSU (Same time period)
2013 10-3
2014 8-5
2015 9-3
2016 8-4

Not sure why AU and LSU scare anyone. These numbers are closer to Ark than Bama. We're right there in the hunt, so if we suck, they suck. I disagree we suck. That's not a word I would use to describe our program.

hawg1221

LRRandy

Quote from: rljjr on June 01, 2017, 09:49:38 am
2013      12-2   
2014        8-5   
2015        7-6   
2016        8-5   

LSU (Same time period)
2013 10-3
2014 8-5
2015 9-3
2016 8-4

Not sure why AU and LSU scare anyone. These numbers are closer to Ark than Bama. We're right there in the hunt, so if we suck, they suck. I disagree we suck. That's not a word I would use to describe our program.
well, they are part of the gauntlet narrative. So there's that. Just once in the last three seasons has either team won more than 8 games.
This is fun, isn't it.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: rljjr on June 01, 2017, 09:49:38 am
2013      12-2   
2014        8-5   
2015        7-6   
2016        8-5   

LSU (Same time period)
2013 10-3
2014 8-5
2015 9-3
2016 8-4

You +1   Snowflakes..? -100
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

King Kong

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on June 01, 2017, 08:15:18 am

You are seriously underestimating the Bama/UT rivalry.

It means a great deal to both schools.

hogsanity

Quote from: LRRandy on June 01, 2017, 10:11:19 am
well, they are part of the gauntlet narrative. So there's that. Just once in the last three seasons has either team won more than 8 games.

Aub and LSu get really good recruiting classes. IT is not that they have been great, but they are part of what makes the sec so tough. Week after week of playing teams that on any given Sat can play with anyone. While not everyone in the sec is NC quality, there are no real gimmees either.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

King Kong

Quote from: LRRandy on June 01, 2017, 10:11:19 am

LSU has had to cancel games against weaker non conference opponents that has prevented them from having more wins

Paul

Quote from: Wildhog on June 01, 2017, 09:00:34 am
Replace AU with Mizzou and make USCe our permanent East rival again.

That'd be a welcome change to our schedule.
I want Tenn again.  we have not geographical border with USCe & our annual game with them was inconsequential

LRRandy

Quote from: hogsanity on June 01, 2017, 10:20:54 am
Aub and LSu get really good recruiting classes. IT is not that they have been great, but they are part of what makes the sec so tough. Week after week of playing teams that on any given Sat can play with anyone. While not everyone only one team in the sec is NC quality, there are no real gimmees either.
FIFY
This is fun, isn't it.

LRRandy

Quote from: King Kong on June 01, 2017, 10:21:06 am
LSU has had to cancel games against weaker non conference opponents that has prevented them from having more wins
got it. Fattening up on cupcakes makes the gauntlet stronger. I see why the sec is staying away from a nine game conference schedule.
This is fun, isn't it.

Wildhog

Quote from: Paul on June 01, 2017, 10:28:02 am
  I want Tenn again.  we have not geographical border with USCe & our annual game with them was inconsequential

Screw that.  I'm going for the easiest SEC schedule possible.
1909/1964/1965/1977

311Hog

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 01, 2017, 10:32:28 am
Alabama has never been an impediment to conference growth like texas has and is still.

while this is true, they are making the rest of the conference bend over backwards in order to keep their wishes.  When Missou and A&M came into the league, Auburn should have gone east right then and there, but we all know why they didn't.  Bc Iron Bowl bc Tenner/Bama. Now teams and students are forced to blow more $$$ than they would normally have to, to travel farther than they should.  I mean Missou has to go to the east coast almost every game.

It doesn't make sense by any metric except that Bama gets what bama wants.

mizzouman

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

Cementhog

Bama has a 7 game win streak going since 2010. Since 1970 the record is 31-15 Bama. It was important at one time but that time has passed. Folks on here, like me, remember those SWC days. Every game we played then was a rivalry game. When the Hogs went to the SEC there was a lot of talk then about how to play and who we would play as a rival. If teams hang on to those rivalry games they could see little or no improvement in their program. This is akin to the great stadium debate, we hang on to that Little Rock game but the logistics and benefit serve no purpose for the Hogs or the University. If growth and improvement in the SEC is to continue. If the SEC wants to continue to put the best product out in college football. All options must be open to them. This includes the rivalry games, iron bowl, Bama Tenner, cocktail party, egg bowl. If those games can be accommodated in normal scheduling great, but you don't hold up growth and improvement over a 31-15 record in 47 years....great for a few fans not great for the SEC
Little Lebowski Urban Achiever Class of 86

LRHawg

Quote from: RazorPiggie on June 01, 2017, 08:12:58 am
I could see it happening in the next 5 years.

Yeah I'd agree, my opinion is it makes sense but will probably take a while to happen.

TUSKtimes

Quote from: LRHawg on June 01, 2017, 10:58:05 am
Yeah I'd agree, my opinion is it makes sense but will probably take a while to happen.

The barners recruit Georgia, Florida area historically very well. A lot of their students come from the area as well. They have a natural rival in Georgia and want the Florida series back again. Go for it.

The_Iceman

East:
Florida
Georgia
Tennessee
Auburn
South Carolina
Vanderbilt
Kentucky

West:
Alabama
Arkansas
LSU
A&M
Mizzou
Ole Miss
Miss State

Cross Conference permanent opponents:
Alabama vs. Auburn
LSU vs. Florida
Miss State vs. Kentucky
Ole Miss vs. Georgia
A&M vs. South Carolina
Mizzou vs. Vandy/Tennessee
Arkansas vs. Vandy/Tennessee

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 01, 2017, 07:15:09 am
As I think they mentioned in the article Auburn indicated that they would be willing to move the date of the annual Iron Bowl to accommodate the move if necessary. But apparently Alabama would have to give up their annual game with Tennessee as a permanent cross division game if they wanted to keep the Iron Bowl each year with Auburn. So how important is the annual game with Tennessee to Alabama? 

Not as important to Bama and its fans as it is Tenner and theirs. The Iron bowl might be the biggest rival game. It's at least in the top 5. The other game may not even be in the top 10 biggest. Perhaps not even in the top 20 biggest. Despite what tenner folks want to believe.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 01, 2017, 11:47:50 am
Is.

Probably so but Michigan, OSU might be. It really depends on what part of the country one is from or resides in or is more familiar with. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

LRRandy

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 01, 2017, 12:16:08 pm
Probably so but Michigan, OSU might be. It really depends on what part of the country one is from or resides in or is more familiar with.
it definately is a regional issue. Some years Aub v Bama has high stakes. Most years not. Same with The game.
This is fun, isn't it.

mizzouman

Quote from: The_Iceman on June 01, 2017, 11:17:56 am
East:
Florida
Georgia
Tennessee
Auburn
South Carolina
Vanderbilt
Kentucky

West:
Alabama
Arkansas
LSU
A&M
Mizzou
Ole Miss
Miss State

Cross Conference permanent opponents:
Alabama vs. Auburn
LSU vs. Florida
Miss State vs. Kentucky
Ole Miss vs. Georgia
A&M vs. South Carolina
Mizzou vs. Vandy/Tennessee
Arkansas vs. Vandy/Tennessee

I'd be all for this but Bama/UT won't

GuvHog

Quote from: LRHawg on June 01, 2017, 10:58:05 am

It does make sense but I figure some of the Western Division schools will veto the move including Alabama and I wouldn't be surprised if Tennessee, Georgia, and Florida join that veto. I don't see it happening unless the SEC expands to 16 teams.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Hoggish1

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 01, 2017, 06:40:09 am

Personally, I think the SEC could solve a lot of these problems by adopting a nine-game conference schedule. That way it could not only move Auburn to the East, but it could help ensure it's 14 teams play one another on a more regular basis no matter divisional alignment.[/i]

I'm with you about this ^

Let them move but let's have a 9 game SEC schedule.  Then play to interesting games OOC.  This would help the sale of season ticket packages IMO

ur

9 game schedule, 2 perm teams.
mizz.- ken, aub         ken- mizz, msu
ark-  sc, tenn            van- miss,Lsu
aggies- sc, geo          tenn- ark, bama
Lsu- fla, vand            sc- ark, aggies
miss- vand, geo         geo- miss, aggies
msu- ken, fla             fla- Lsu, msu
bama- aub, tenn        aub- bama, mizz

Wildhog

Quote from: Hoggish1 on June 01, 2017, 12:27:05 pm
I'm with you about this ^

Let them move but let's have a 9 game SEC schedule.  Then play to interesting games OOC.  This would help the sale of season ticket packages IMO

So you want to play 9 SEC teams and two strong OOC teams?  It's hard to sell tickets when you're not making bowl games.
1909/1964/1965/1977

LZH

Quote from: Wildhog on June 01, 2017, 02:06:43 pm
So you want to play 9 SEC teams and two strong OOC teams?  It's hard to sell tickets when you're not making bowl games.

In before someone else says "it's also hard to fill the stands by playing a bunch of cupcakes"..... :)

I actually like eight conference games and four OOC games. I know that it's only a matter of time before that changes, but it gives each team flexibility to play games every couple of years that we normally don't get to see.

redleg

(1) Add Oklahoma and Oklahoma St to the SEC, (2) break up into four divisions with four teams each, (3) start the season a week earlier, (4) each team plays the other three teams in their division each season, and the other three divisions rotate every two years for a 7 game SEC slate with 5 non-conference games, (5) the four division champs play each other in the SEC Semi-Finals in Dallas and New Orleans on Thanksgiving weekend, and (6) those winners play in the SEC Championship in Atlanta the next weekend.
West - OU, OSU, A&M, Ark
South - LSU, OM, MSU, AL,
East - Auburn, Flo, GA, SC
North - Mizzou, Vandy, UK, Tenn

It would work!  ;D
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

LZH

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 01, 2017, 02:25:57 pm
Darn it.

Boing!

I like cupcakes. Cupcakes are good. Cupcakes are fun. When we play cupcakes we get to see our team as we like to imagine they are, bigger-better-stronger-faster. Cupcakes are sweet. Cupcakes are tasty.

RazorWest

Quote from: LZH on June 01, 2017, 02:35:58 pm
Boing!

I like cupcakes. Cupcakes are good. Cupcakes are fun. When we play cupcakes we get to see our team as we like to imagine they are, bigger-better-stronger-faster. Cupcakes are sweet. Cupcakes are tasty.

I agree if the cupcake is the first game of the year.  After that it's pretty lame to watch

King Kong

Quote from: Wildhog on June 01, 2017, 02:06:43 pm

Agreed. 9 games is a terrible idea for us.

GuvHog

Quote from: redleg on June 01, 2017, 02:18:59 pm
(1) Add Oklahoma and Oklahoma St to the SEC, (2) break up into four divisions with four teams each, (3) start the season a week earlier, (4) each team plays the other three teams in their division each season, and the other three divisions rotate every two years for a 7 game SEC slate with 5 non-conference games, (5) the four division champs play each other in the SEC Semi-Finals in Dallas and New Orleans on Thanksgiving weekend, and (6) those winners play in the SEC Championship in Atlanta the next weekend.
West - OU, OSU, A&M, Ark
South - LSU, OM, MSU, AL,
East - Auburn, Flo, GA, SC
North - Mizzou, Vandy, UK, Tenn

It would work!  ;D
:razorback:

More than likely it would be just 2 divisions that look Like this:

SEC West
Arkansas
LSU
Mississippi State
Ole Miss
Missouri
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas A&M

SEC East
Alabama
Auburn
Georgia
Florida
Kentucky
South Carolina
Tennessee
Vanderbilt

Each team would play a 9 game conference schedule with includes one permanent opponent from the other division and one rotating opponent from the other division.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!