Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fertile recruiting ground?

Started by PIGskin Pride, November 23, 2017, 06:52:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PIGskin Pride

Why does everyone have a love affair with the "Fertile recruiting ground" of Auburn/Bama?

Please help me understand why everyone says Auburn is in the middle of fertile recruiting grounds.    They border Georgia, Mississippi, and north Florida (Not South florida).  However, we border Louisiana, Texas, Mississippi, and Tennessee. 

The 5 star athletes are going to Bama from all over the country to win NCs and go to he NFL.  They aren't flocking to Auburn.  Proven by, our series being tied with them over the last 10 years. 

Wouldn't Gus be in better recruiting grounds at the U of A? 

I think Gus could bring better talent to the U of A than he could to auburn!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING AND GO HOGS!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: PIGskin Pride on November 23, 2017, 06:52:58 pm
Why does everyone have a love affair with the "Fertile recruiting ground" of Auburn/Bama?

Please help me understand why everyone says Auburn is in the middle of fertile recruiting grounds.    They border Georgia, Mississippi, and north Florida (Not South florida).  However, we border Louisiana, Texas, Mississippi, and Tennessee. 

The 5 star athletes are going to Bama from all over the country to win NCs and go to he NFL.  They aren't flocking to Auburn.  Proven by, our series being tied with them over the last 10 years. 

Compare the last 5 to 10 years of recruiting classes of Auburn and Arkansas. You will answer your own question.
Go Hogs Go!

Arkansas Fan

Auburn and Alabama both have had better success than us. It's much easier to convince a recruit to go there instead of here.

PIGskin Pride

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 23, 2017, 06:55:37 pm
Compare the last 5 to 10 years of recruiting classes of Auburn and Arkansas. You will answer your own question.

Coach or "fertile grounds"?

RockyMtnHog

or get paid to commit and then paid again to enroll.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

PIGskin Pride

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on November 23, 2017, 07:01:02 pm
Auburn and Alabama both have had better success than us. It's much easier to convince a recruit to go there instead of here.

Why is that?  I spend half my time in Alabama.  It's hard to tell a difference between there and here.

pigture perfect

Auburn is either feast or famine. Those guys can win a Natty one year and finish last in the West the next year or so.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: PIGskin Pride on November 23, 2017, 07:14:13 pm
Why is that?  I spend half my time in Alabama.  It's hard to tell a difference between there and here.

It's hard to tell the difference between their football programs and ours?

PIGskin Pride

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on November 23, 2017, 07:16:28 pm
It's hard to tell the difference between their football programs and ours?

Ha.  Obviously there is a big difference between their programs and ours at this moment in time.  However, we are split series with auburn in the last 10 yrs.  It is hard to see how they are in an more fertile grounds than we are. 

I understand the draw to Miami, USC, etc.  Quality of life experience would be off the charts.   However, I don't see why OU, Bama, Auburn, Georgia, etc is more attractive than arkansas.  Except for current program success.  And that is completely in our hands. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Go Hogs Go!

PIGskin Pride

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 23, 2017, 07:21:23 pm
You are kidding?

I asked a question for a reason.  I am curious why central/north Alabam a is more "fertile" than arkansas?

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: PIGskin Pride on November 23, 2017, 07:21:22 pm
Ha.  Obviously there is a big difference between their programs and ours at this moment in time.  However, we are split series with auburn in the last 10 yrs.  It is hard to see how they are in an more fertile grounds than we are. 

I understand the draw to Miami, USC, etc.  Quality of life experience would be off the charts.   However, I don't see why OU, Bama, Auburn, Georgia, etc is more attractive than arkansas.  Except for current program success.  And that is completely in our hands.

Because they're good, we're not. It's that simple.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: PIGskin Pride on November 23, 2017, 07:22:37 pm
I asked a question for a reason.  I am curious why central/north Alabam a is more "fertile" than arkansas?

Well pardon me, allow me to retort.

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 23, 2017, 06:55:37 pm

Study those and see where those kids came from before they were signed. Compare the number of 4 stars that they signed and where they came from and then compare our number of 4 stars (that should be enough) and where they came from before being signed.
Go Hogs Go!

PIGskin Pride

Piggie

We stayed even with Auburn until Gus got there, and now we are down by four games out of the last five. Let's trade places now. Come home, Gus.
It's a great day to be a Bryant Hornet!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on November 23, 2017, 07:23:40 pm
Because they're good, we're not. It's that simple.

And decades of tradition, built up national notoriety, conference championships, etc. etc. Being good is the end result.
Go Hogs Go!

RockyMtnHog

When Sabin leaves Bama will go down hill.  When Gus leaves Auburn will go down hill.  Go back and look at their histories after coaching changes.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: Piggie on November 23, 2017, 07:28:13 pm
We stayed even with Auburn until Gus got there, and now we are down by four games out of the last five. Let's trade places now. Come home, Gus.
You could also say we were even with them until Bret got here. lol

Hawghiggs

The state of Missouri has 20 3* or better recruits listed on 247sports. Not a single one is committed to the University of Arkansas. This is part of the problem. 

IronHog

Google "black belt"

Best football players come from the black belt
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Piggie on November 23, 2017, 07:28:13 pm

I would agree that the scheme that Gus uses might be more beneficial for us than the Pro Style offense and I would even say that I think that Gus could win another game or two each year than we have over the previous three years, but let's keep in mind that Gus's record at Auburn isn't overwhelming and he has achieved that with top 10 recruiting classes. How will having Arkansas recruiting classes (even 5 spots higher nationally on average) dramatically change our end result? Seems to me that if you can't set the world on fire in the SEC West with top 10 classes, how is that going to change with lower ranking classes? Gus isn't going to show up here and suddenly push our recruiting into the top 10 each year or put us in contention for the West, just because he has Arkansas ties.
Go Hogs Go!

IronHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 23, 2017, 08:34:10 pm
I would agree that the scheme that Gus uses might be more beneficial for us than the Pro Style offense and I would even say that I think that Gus could win another game or two each year than we have over the previous three years, but let's keep in mind that Gus's record at Auburn isn't overwhelming and he has achieved that with top 10 recruiting classes. How will having Arkansas recruiting classes (even 5 spots higher nationally on average) dramatically change our end result? Seems to me that if you can't set the world on fire in the SEC West with top 10 classes, how is that going to change with lower ranking classes? Gus isn't going to show up here and suddenly push our recruiting into the top 10 each year or put us in contention for the West, just because he has Arkansas ties.

Rarely watch an Auburn game and think they look like Bama, LSU, or Georgia in their uniforms....

They usually have depth issues and some pretty average players suiting up in spots.......rarely have real game breakers at the skill spots.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

cram224

Please help me understand why everyone says Auburn is in the middle of fertile recruiting grounds.    They border Georgia, Mississippi, and north Florida (Not South Florida).  However, we border Louisiana, Texas, Mississippi, and Tennessee. 

Lets see Clemson, Ga, Auburn three teams in top 7 loaded with Ga players. I live in Buford Ga. There is enough talent in a 50 mile radius of me to win a Natty. I didn't mention Bama and Tenn which gets 3 or 4 a year out of Ga.

PIGskin Pride

Quote from: cram224 on November 23, 2017, 08:52:18 pm
Lets see Clemson, Ga, Auburn three teams in top 7 loaded with Ga players. I live in Buford Ga. There is enough talent in a 50 mile radius of me to win a Natty. I didn't mention Bama and Tenn which gets 3 or 4 a year out of Ga.

I live in Tallahassee now and follow Georgia.  I put them on par with Louisiana.  Nothing close to texas.  But they do have some talent. 

I there is that much talent within 50 miles, when was the last UGA Natty?

Ryan

East Clintwood

Draw a circle around Auburn.  Draw another circle around Fayetteville

See the difference?  Lots of white space around us.  The majority of recruits would like to be able to drive home for a quick visit.

Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

BigoBoys

Take a look at the actual roster of Alabama and then get back with us.

SooieGeneris

Regardless of what state borders what other state, it is MUCH closer from anywhere in Georgia to Auburn than it is from most of Texas, TN, MS, or LA. to us.

Alabama produces a lot of good players, 'Bama recruits nationally, so Auburn would be first choice for many of them that 'Bama doesn't take.

Georgia is a very talent rich state that is right across the line from Auburn. The Florida panhandle is not that far from there. They have been recruiting South FLA. for years.

There are literally hundreds more D1 prospects within 200-300 miles of their campus than we have in that same distance from ours.

As in real estate, it's location, location, location. Their coaches likely spend a lot less time on airplanes than ours in recruiting season. Plus, they have a rep for extra benefit$ if you catch my drift.
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

Cinco de Hogo

And none of that explains Oklahoma except as Muskogee said decades and decades of tradition.  While Oklahoma has consistently stayed the course(and don't talk about cheating, most of the so called elite have been on probation more than once)we have crapped our bed so many times it's crazy.  You want what others gave you got to have the guts to go take it away from them.

hawginbigd1

Its pretty simple like 80% of top 300 recruits sign with a school less than 200 miles from home. Auburn, Georgia, Clemson, Florida all live in a region where the majority of those recruits live. Almost none of those recruits live in that radius to Fayetteville. In the last 20 years the best records follow some of the most talented groups of in-state recruits in modern history.

PIGskin Pride

Quote from: East Clintwood on November 23, 2017, 09:09:34 pm
Draw a circle around Auburn.  Draw another circle around Fayetteville

See the difference?  Lots of white space around us.  The majority of recruits would like to be able to drive home for a quick visit.

That is a cool map.  Thanks for posting.

PIGskin Pride

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on November 24, 2017, 12:02:58 am
Its pretty simple like 80% of top 300 recruits sign with a school less than 200 miles from home. Auburn, Georgia, Clemson, Florida all live in a region where the majority of those recruits live. Almost none of those recruits live in that radius to Fayetteville. In the last 20 years the best records follow some of the most talented groups of in-state recruits in modern history.

Interesting.

Ham Ham Pigelow

Auburn is about an hour from metro Atlanta, the most fertile recruiting territory in the SE. Possibly the entire country.

Boar Ultimatum

Will Gus not recruiting as well here have more to do with no $ for recruits like the Auburn basketball program? Does anyone on this board really believe that Auburn would recruit like that in basketball but not football? Is basketball a higher priority than football at Auburn?

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Boar Ultimatum on November 24, 2017, 07:34:46 am
Will Gus not recruiting as well here have more to do with no $ for recruits like the Auburn basketball program? Does anyone on this board really believe that Auburn would recruit like that in basketball but not football? Is basketball a higher priority than football at Auburn?
Only Kentucky in basketball is more important than football in the SEC all other school football is more important. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?