Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My Only Concern With Coach A

Started by ra2ford, April 16, 2015, 06:40:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ra2ford

In a reality where you must win with talent that is only at the school for 1 or a max of 2 years, the emphasis is clearly more on recruiting than the old days of player development.   I don't see any indication Coach A has embraced this new reality.  He needs to adapt or hire onto his staff a "stud" as a recruiter.  Am very disappointed we missed out on our own State MVP player, but more importantly getting out recruited by the likes of LSU.  It is only going to become more important as the SEC is clearly shifting their "win at all cost in football" mentality to BB through the recent hires of coaches.  Perpetual winners have adapted their programs to recruit first & develop second.  Just don't see the recruiting firepower in the current coaching staff. Love Coach A and his passion for U of A, but concerned about his ability to adapt to the reality of today's game - Recruit - Land the in-state Archie Goodwins and Kavaugn Allen's even if you only have them one year.

Danny J

Only way recruiting is going to get better, which includes signing good out of state talent with NO ties to Arkansas or the staff, is to actually go out and hire a better recruiter. We are being out recruited by 7 or 8 other SEC schools on a regular basis. There is NO way and I mean NO way that aTm should be out recruiting us. None.

Nolan didn't succeed until after he started signing top rated players then getting them to play together and gel over the course of a couple seasons. Going into year 5 our starting lineup for the first part of the season will be:

Beard
Bell
Watkins
Williams
Kingsley

I have no confidence in that lineup at all. It has been over 24hrs since the Qualls declaration and I am still very upset that the staff apparently had no inside knowledge as to Qualls intentions.

lefty08

Quote from: Danny J on April 16, 2015, 07:17:07 pm
Only way recruiting is going to get better, which includes signing good out of state talent with NO ties to Arkansas or the staff, is to actually go out and hire a better recruiter. We are being out recruited by 7 or 8 other SEC schools on a regular basis. There is NO way and I mean NO way that aTm should be out recruiting us. None.

Nolan didn't succeed until after he started signing top rated players then getting them to play together and gel over the course of a couple seasons. Going into year 5 our starting lineup for the first part of the season will be:

Beard
Bell
Watkins
Williams
Kingsley

I have no confidence in that lineup at all. It has been over 24hrs since the Qualls declaration and I am still very upset that the staff apparently had no inside knowledge as to Qualls intentions.

Holy crap! Is been 24 hours?!  They clearly don't do their jobs
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

RazorPiggie

Beard
Bell
Watkins
Williams
Kingsley

Be glad FCJ isn't here anymore.

I agree with you.

grayhawg

Quote from: ra2ford on April 16, 2015, 06:40:49 pm
In a reality where you must win with talent that is only at the school for 1 or a max of 2 years, the emphasis is clearly more on recruiting than the old days of player development.   I don't see any indication Coach A has embraced this new reality.  He needs to adapt or hire onto his staff a "stud" as a recruiter.  Am very disappointed we missed out on our own State MVP player, but more importantly getting out recruited by the likes of LSU.  It is only going to become more important as the SEC is clearly shifting their "win at all cost in football" mentality to BB through the recent hires of coaches.  Perpetual winners have adapted their programs to recruit first & develop second.  Just don't see the recruiting firepower in the current coaching staff. Love Coach A and his passion for U of A, but concerned about his ability to adapt to the reality of today's game - Recruit - Land the in-state Archie Goodwins and Kavaugn Allen's even if you only have them one year.

Beard
Bell
Watkins
Williams
Kingsley

LOL   do you two want Pel or Heath back?

Danny J

Quote from: lefty08 on April 16, 2015, 07:59:45 pm
Holy crap! Is been 24 hours?!  They clearly don't do their jobs
So you feel good about where we are heading into next year? Coming off of what we accomplished this year? We should not be taking a HUGE step back. We clearly will be. I am frustrated is all. We can't catch a break. A chance to finally get back to being a legit final four team and our two best players leave and we have no contingency plan. I am not saying it is the fault of the players that they left. I am saying that is just our luck they would leave. Can't catch a break.

latrops

Wisconsin beat Kentucky and played for the national title with a team led by a senior and a junior.   Last year, UCONN won the national championship behind senior Shabazz Napier and junior Ryan Boatright.  There is still plenty of player development going on out there.  Only a handful of programs (Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, North Carolina, etc.) have the ability to consistently bring in and replace multiple early departures every year.

That said, CMA does likely need to recruit a little better.  He hasn't done poorly in that area, but it hasn't been great, either.  He didn't likely have to work too hard to land Portis...and without him, I don't know where the program would have been over the last two years.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: latrops on April 16, 2015, 08:33:11 pm
Wisconsin beat Kentucky and played for the national title with a team led by a senior and a junior.   Last year, UCONN won the national championship behind senior Shabazz Napier and junior Ryan Boatright.  There is still plenty of player development going on out there.  Only a handful of programs (Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, North Carolina, etc.) have the ability to consistently bring in and replace multiple early departures every year.

That said, CMA does likely need to recruit a little better.  He hasn't done poorly in that area, but it hasn't been great, either.  He didn't likely have to work too hard to land Portis...and without him, I don't know where the program would have been over the last two years.

Duke won the NC starting 3 freshman and a sophomore.

Napier and Boatright were both highly rated players along with other highly rated players. Bo Ryan is just a good coach but Dekker was very highly rated as well. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Danny J on April 16, 2015, 08:13:12 pm
So you feel good about where we are heading into next year? Coming off of what we accomplished this year? We should not be taking a HUGE step back. We clearly will be. I am frustrated is all. We can't catch a break. A chance to finally get back to being a legit final four team and our two best players leave and we have no contingency plan. I am not saying it is the fault of the players that they left. I am saying that is just our luck they would leave. Can't catch a break.

Maybe it is just temporary.  The 2016 class will determine it. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

latrops

Quote from: RazorPiggie on April 16, 2015, 08:57:23 pm
Duke won the NC starting 3 freshman and a sophomore.

Napier and Boatright were both highly rated players along with other highly rated players. Bo Ryan is just a good coach but Dekker was very highly rated as well.

Yeah....I'm certainly not suggesting that CMA or anyone else can win at a high level with a bunch of 2 star stiffs.  However, getting good players that aren't lottery picks/1st round locks to stick around rather than gamble on getting drafted or heading to Europe is still a viable strategy.  In fact, it is the only option for most programs.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: latrops on April 16, 2015, 09:38:57 pm
Yeah....I'm certainly not suggesting that CMA or anyone else can win at a high level with a bunch of 2 star stiffs.  However, getting good players that aren't lottery picks/1st round locks to stick around rather than gamble on getting drafted or heading to Europe is still a viable strategy.  In fact, it is the only option for most programs.

Sounds like the 2nd player that entered early.

azhog10

Beard
Bell
Watkins
Williams
Kingsley

Please! How about we fold in 2015-16 season and turn the board off till a year from now?

Kevin

Quote from: grayhawg on April 16, 2015, 08:12:44 pm
LOL   do you two want Pel or Heath back?

How about hiring someone different when they fired Heath , or hire someone different when they fired pel?
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

grayhawg

Quote from: Kevin on April 17, 2015, 06:53:27 am
How about hiring someone different when they fired Heath , or hire someone different when they fired pel?
Who?

WarPig88

After Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, North Carolina, Mich St, Texas, Florida, Louisville, and Arizona get done PICKING who they want, what exactly do you think is left out there?

You need to learn the history of this program. This program has NEVER been a select them type of program. With the all the early defections, there is LESS talent than ever to go around! Why do you think college basketball is down as a whole?

Your thinking is 20 years old now. Time to move into the present.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: WarPig88 on April 17, 2015, 08:55:40 am
After Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, North Carolina, Mich St, Texas, Florida, Louisville, and Arizona get done PICKING who they want, what exactly do you think is left out there?

You need to learn the history of this program. This program has NEVER been a select them type of program. With the all the early defections, there is LESS talent than ever to go around! Why do you think college basketball is down as a whole?

Your thinking is 20 years old now. Time to move into the present.

To be fair, he did name LSU specifically, who has not been a traditional power over the past 20 years. LSU has made multiple moves with their assistant positions over the past few years to improve their recruiting efforts.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

WarPig88

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 17, 2015, 09:11:54 am
To be fair, he did name LSU specifically, who has not been a traditional power over the past 20 years. LSU has made multiple moves over the past few years to improve their recruiting efforts.

LSU has always been a sleeping giant, just like they were in football. The amount of instate talent with their proximity to Houston should make them a juggernaut.

Poor coaching is all that has ever kept them from becoming great.

jackflash

WorfHog

We signed the Missouri coaches all-state team, Class 5 player Jimmy Whitt. Arkansas didn't recruit Kevaughn because they didn't have a spot for him, so he moved on, it's not a miss in recruiting. And kevaughn is likely a three or four year guy anyway. Mike's going to win or lose with his guys (assistants), and until we actually take a step back everyone needs to settle down.

WarPig88

Quote from: jackflash on April 17, 2015, 09:14:50 am
Question where is FCJ?

He left mid way through the season. He isn't like HA and some others who only show up with an agenda despite what so many on here believe.

He is a super Hog fan and has defended nearly EVERY coach we have had over the last couple of decades. The hate he receives around here is just stupid.

He just needs to be looked at for the homer he is and be left alone.

yocdaddy

Consider this, next year is his 5th year here.  The roster next season looks quite similar to the one he inherited from Pelphrey.  He hasn't built the kind of depth he needs to win year in and year out.  He is to blame for that.  Do I want him fired?  NO....coaching isn't easy. 
"More people would learn from their mistakes, if they weren't so busy denying them."  --Harold J. Smith

HoGFromTheStart

As a huge Hog fan i will just say that is was pretty awesome to have Portis and Qualls perform like they did this last year. It made me very proud of the program. I dont think either one of them were quite ready for the NBA, but money talks and i get it. I have faith in coach A, that he will get his recruiting down and we will be a stable team for the years to come. On the other hand basketball season is now over and we have hog football to watch and i'm thinking they are going to be powerhouse!!! Go Hogs Go!!
DSTo (not a journalist) suck it trebek!

WorfHog

Quote from: jackflash on April 17, 2015, 09:14:50 am
Question where is FCJ?

He left because a portion of this board is so virulently anti-Mike Anderson that they complain about everything. I mean right now we have a contingent of this forum that is complaining about the job CMA has done because he isn't living up to their hypothetical expectations.  Instead of taking the wait and see approach they're complaining about a job he hasn't done yet.

You'd think the Arkansas fan base is chock-full of former E8 and F4 coaches who know exactly how to run a program.

Pigliophile

We haven't even played a game yet with the new roster. I think we will be fine. We won't be as good as this year but that is because Portis is a once in a decade (once in 2 decades for us). We can still make the NCAAT next year because we play some weak teams in the SEC. As long as we take care of the easy games and steal a few of the close ones we are in. I have faith in MA and I'm not sure how/who we could have recruited to ensure we wouldn't be in this situation.

We lost the best offensive duo in our league this week. Of course we won't be as good as last year but I believe we have some good talent returning and coming in.