Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Leader of next year's team

Started by Hog and Eggs, April 15, 2015, 08:41:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hog and Eggs

With our two best players leaving, who steps up next year and takes on a bigger scoring load? While I'm not necessarily convinced we have some great options waiting in the wings (aside from possibly our incoming freshmen), there will always be someone who steps up and surprises.

3of5-2

Beard will be the leader. He will not be the leading scorer, but it will be his team.

Big Nasty 34

Durham will be a nice leader I think, too.

Hog and Eggs

I do like what I saw out of Durham in the last game. I think he could be poised to take a huge statistical leap as well. I do think Kingsley, while not dominant, will average around 10 and 6. As far as a leading scorer though, I wonder if that might not be Whitt.

Bkhardicars

The Boar War

Quote from: Hog and Eggs on April 15, 2015, 08:57:48 pm
I do like what I saw out of Durham in the last game. I think he could be poised to take a huge statistical leap as well. I do think Kingsley, while not dominant, will average around 10 and 6. As far as a leading scorer though, I wonder if that might not be Whitt.

Whitt is really thin.  He might have some trouble adjusting to the college game initially.

code red

Mike Anderson!!!!!  What the heck....its all good.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Wild Bill Hog

popcornhog

Durham will be the leader. We probably won't make the tourney but should have a lot to build on for the class of 2016.
WPS

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Quote from: 3of5-2 on April 15, 2015, 08:45:53 pm
Beard will be the leader. He will not be the leading scorer, but it will be his team.

This.  It could be argued that Beck was the leader of the 94-95 team, even though Big Nasty and the Thurminator were the ones who made headlines.

EFBAB

Thepigdoctor

Beard was vastly underrated last year for what he brought once he became the starter. Despite playing with two stars and two seniors, there were numerous times where he already looked like the leader. I think it's hands down his show to run.

Atlhogfan1

Beard was our leader in fouls and second in fouls per minute (Kingsley first). 

84 fouls
9 times in SEC games (tourney and reg season) he had at least 4 fouls.  3 other times he had 3 fouls. 

To be the leader, he has to learn to defend without fouling and stay on the court.  It is going to be imperative that the guards apply on the ball pressure and create turnovers this next season.  Teams that get into the halfcourt and can setup their offense will find mismatches when we play 3 guards (no wing players).  And we will need more offense off of turnovers. 

I agree he is a likely candidate to lead. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Thepigdoctor

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 16, 2015, 01:00:37 pm
Beard was our leader in fouls and second in fouls per minute (Kingsley first). 

84 fouls
9 times in SEC games (tourney and reg season) he had at least 4 fouls.  3 other times he had 3 fouls. 

To be the leader, he has to learn to defend without fouling and stay on the court.  It is going to be imperative that the guards apply on the ball pressure and create turnovers this next season.  Teams that get into the halfcourt and can setup their offense will find mismatches when we play 3 guards (no wing players).  And we will need more offense off of turnovers. 

I agree he is a likely candidate to lead.

Fairly typical for an aggressive freshman. He was also called for a number of extremely cheap fouls.

Your point is extremely valid though, hard to lead the team from the bench.