Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Perfect World

Started by HognitiveDissonance, April 14, 2015, 04:20:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HognitiveDissonance

I agree with Mark Cuban's comments lately on the state of the collegiate game. (or did he agree with me---and many others?)

The college game is as passionate as ever, exciting, fans will always be there to cheer for whomever puts on a uniform for State U. No worries there.

And I won't go into complaints about low scoring games, lack of skill, need to widen the lane, scoot back the 3-pt line, etc.

But the constant revolving door with the athletes just kills the college game. Pick a sport. I realize there is no real concern for the pro game for the college game, or vice versa. It would be nice if they were worried about each other, but they don't have to, so they don't, not so much. And I realize it's a free country and athletes should be allowed certain freedoms to choose whatever path they want.

But we all know that the vast majority of early declarees need more time(not even talking about Portis, per se). Most of us love the baseball rule: go pro out of high school or commit to three years of college and wonder a) how, legally it can be implemented in baseball but seems so problematic in basketball(or football). Why can't I dream? Think about the stability it would place in college basketball. Think of the improved product. Yes, it's not about the fans, but think about how much happier they would be also, knowing what the heck their program is going to look like 1-3 years out, who's going to be there, and who's not.

Even baseball has its problems. The coaches go through tiresome recruiting, have a top class lined up, and then see it raided by the pro draft in June. Couldn't the timing be better? Surely there is a way for college/pro to work together so coaches would know who's recruitable and who is a 'pro'. It just seems so wasteful and ridiculous.

Just put in the baseball rule across the board, all sports, and most of these problems would go away.